What's new

Difference Between Punjabi spoken in Pakistan and India

Well Punjabi spoken in India is also diverse.I can speak Punjabi with a Malwai and Doab accent.Even in Malwai speaking area's there are around 3 -4 sub dialects in.

Punjabi Hindus mix Punjabi with some Hindi words and their pronunciation of words is also different.

PS- Even Bhangra has different forms.

nahi bhai:

Meaning of Punjab The Punjab, called Pentapotamia by the Greeks, derives its name from two Persian words, panj (five), an aab (water, having reference to the five rivers which confer on the country).
Of those three are without any Ab :rofl::rofl:
There are four rivers in Eastern Punjab of which Ghaghar (Saraswati) is now a seasonal river mostly responsible for floods during rainy seasons

nahi bhai:

Meaning of Punjab The Punjab, called Pentapotamia by the Greeks, derives its name from two Persian words, panj (five), an aab (water, having reference to the five rivers which confer on the country).

Punjab Online: History of Punjab

It's not established fact that the term Punjab is derived from Farsi. Panj is the word for five in Punjabi and Hindi as well. Ab is not traditionally used for water in Punjabi but I've been told ab is occasionally used in Hindi and ap (similar to ab) is the Sanskirt term for water. Since Sanskirt and Farsi share a similar origin, Panj + ab = land of five rivers could have came from Hindi or Sanskirt as the New Oxford American dictionary describes.

Punjab |ˈpənˌjäb, pənˈjäb|(also the Punjab )
a region of northwestern India and Pakistan, a wide, fertile plain traversed by the Indus River and the five tributaries that gave the region its name.
• a province of Pakistan; capital, Lahore.
• a state of India; capital, Chandigarh.
ORIGIN from Hindi panj ‘five’ + āb ‘waters.’

@cb4

Some of those dialects you named sound made up like Jatni and Chenavari. I can assure you Sikh Jatts don't have their own dialect.

third eye posted the best map in terms of dialects. Indian Punjab mostly speaks the Doaba and Malwa dialects with a fair amount who speak the Majhi dialect. The Majhi dialect to my knowledge is considered the purest form of Punjab and that region is where most of the Punjabi culture and language was formed. In addition, Kangri is a Pahari influenced language very similar to Punjabi spoken in the Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh. In fact, Western Himachal Pradesh can be considered a mountainous extension of Punjab to an extent and was a part of the original Punjab.

My knowledge of the Pakistani dialects is mostly limited to the Majhi dialect spoken in Lahore and the surrounding central Punjab. The Northern Punjabi dialects are Pahari type languages including Mirpuri. Pothohari is the primary dialect in Northern Punjab and Azad Kashmir along with other Pahari type languages. In Southern Punjab, the Seraiki dialect is the most spoken. However, some argue that the Seraiki dialect is a separate language altogether but I personally disagree.

In the Hazara region of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Hindko is the primary language and it is separate from Punjabi but very closely related. It is also spoken in Azad Kashmir and parts of the Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa border.

pqD4x.jpg

Aab آب in Persian means water, and many Pakistanis call zamzam water as آبِ زمزم zamzam water or water of zamzam

North India especially can be viewed as a continuum of village dialects. As a proverb has it, "Every two miles the water changes, every four miles the speech." Spoken dialects of more distant villages will be less and less mutually understandable and finally become simply mutually unintelligible outside the immediate region.

Local influences impact the language. The Punjabi spoken in say Multan or Jhang would be different from that in Lahore or Amritsar. Travel in the Indian Punjab and the difference between Majha & Malwa regions is perceptible.

Majha is the region comprising of what now is Amritsar, Gurdaspur on the Indian side and Narowal, Lahore & Kasur on the Pak side.

Malwa is a region of Punjab and parts of Haryana between the Sutlej and Yamuna rivers. It makes up the majority of the Indian Punjab region, consisting of 11 districts or parts of districts. The people of the region are called Malwais, and the dialect of Punjabi spoken is called Malwai.

No one region is ' purer ' than another . It depends on the loyalty of the person the Q is asked to.

Below is an illustration of the punjabi dialects based on the topography.

pqD4x.jpg

I'm sorry for a serious objection here, as the language spoken here is not Punjabi either. It's Sarikie which are dying to have their own province on the base of their language like other provinces are on the base of language...but it is less likely that southern punjab will get its right like other province enjoying :(

Is it compulsory that Indian and Pakistanis have to talk on their differences :D

Aab آب in Persian means water, and many Pakistanis call zamzam water as آبِ زمزم zamzam water or water of zamzam

What's your point? All I was suggesting is that it isn't established fact that Punjab comes from Farsi considered ab is sometimes used in Hindi and ap (related to ab) is used in Sanskirt. That's not very important to the thread anyways.

What's your point? All I was suggesting is that it isn't established fact that Punjab comes from Farsi considered ab is sometimes used in Hindi and ap (related to ab) is used in Sanskirt. That's not very important to the thread anyways.

I was referring to this:

It's not established fact that the term Punjab is derived from Farsi. Panj is the word for five in Punjabi and Hindi as well. Ab is not traditionally used for water in Punjabi but I've been told ab is occasionally used in Hindi and ap (similar to ab) is the Sanskirt term for water. Since Sanskirt and Farsi share a similar origin, Panj + ab = land of five rivers could have came from Hindi or Sanskirt as the New Oxford American dictionary describes.

As far as I know water is called jal in Sanskrit/Hindi

I'm sorry for a serious objection here, as the language spoken here is not Punjabi either. It's Sarikie which are dying to have their own province on the base of their language like other provinces are on the base of language...but it is less likely that southern punjab will get its right like other province enjoying :(
Is it compulsory that Indian and Pakistanis have to talk on their differences :D

Seraiki is usually considered a dialect of Punjabi. It definitely has influences from Sindhi though and Seraiki speakers have their own little sub-identity among Punjabis like Pothohari speakers in the north but they aren't unique enough in my opinion to be considered different people.

totally off topic but can anyone tell me the roots of hindko? thanks in advance

I am a hindko speaker, dont know the roots but its spoken on Punjab and KPK Border areas, you can call it punjabi spoken by pathans..lol...its like when any two language mixup a new language is borned just like Sariaki is a mix of punjabi and sindhi

I was referring to this:

As far as I know water is called jal in Sanskrit/Hindi

Do you have a source for that? I've only been told by a Hindi speaking friend that ab is occasionally used as the term for water in Hindi so that's just speculation on my part.

Anyways, my apologies, ap is the Vedic Sanskirt term for water. In traditional Sanskirt, only the plural form apas is used.

Ap (water) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regardless, my point is that there is no written record of Persian/Farsi speakers creating the term Punjab to my knowledge. I've never seen any historical documentation. That's why I'm suggesting that Punj could have came from the Punjabi or Hindi while ab could have came from the term ap which is originally from Vedic Sanskirt.

I'm not sure if the terms "ap" or "ab" developed independently though as ap is traced to Vedic Sanskirt and ab to Avestan. At one point, Vedic Sanskirt and Avestan were mutually intelligible.

Do you have a source for that? I've only been told by a Hindi speaking friend that ab is occasionally used as the term for water in Hindi so that's just speculation on my part.

Anyways, my apologies, ap is the Vedic Sanskirt term for water. In traditional Sanskirt, only the plural form apas is used.

Ap (water) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regardless, my point is that there is no written record of Persian/Farsi speakers creating the term Punjab to my knowledge. I've never seen any historical documentation. That's why I'm suggesting that Punj could have came from the Punjabi or Hindi while ab could have came from the term ap which is originally from Vedic Sanskirt.

I'm not sure if the terms "ap" or "ab" developed independently though as ap is traced to Vedic Sanskirt and ab to Avestan. At one point, Vedic Sanskirt and Avestan were mutually intelligible.

This Forum is overflowing with Indians I am sure many will be able to shed some light on your and my post regarding the word for water in Sanskrit and Persians can confirm the word آب for water and it's origin in Persian.

It is just for zamzam that we use the word آب otherwise Pani is used for water

Seraiki is usually considered a dialect of Punjabi. It definitely has influences from Sindhi though and Seraiki speakers have their own little sub-identity among Punjabis like Pothohari speakers in the north but they aren't unique enough in my opinion to be considered different people.

Man history has been in the hands of Punjabis (educated ones), even their dialect don't match either...

[...]...
Since then and after the independence the whole Seraiki speaking area is politically, economically and culturally being ruled and dictated from Lahore. Even the so-called enlightened intellectuals of Punjab deliberately call Seraiki people as Punjabis and their language as a dialect of Punjabi.During the British period a lot of research work was made about this language by the new administrators, as it was their need to understand the people and get first hand knowledge of their culture and language. All the research work was collected in the farm of printed material, which can be found in the records of Bible House, Church Missionary Society London, India office Library and in the record rooms of local revenue departments. First Seraiki translation of "The New Testamen" was printed under the auspices of Baptist Missionary Society of Calcutta in "devnagri"script in early 19th century. Richard Burton, and intelligence officer of Sir Charles Napier learned Seraiki language to do research on Seraiki; he was also a scholar of Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Armini, Urdu, Gujrati, Marathi, Sindhi, Pushto and Telgo.

Read more: http://www.******************/seraiki-language-and-culture-t31199.html#ixzz25awfxZ1I

Not a single punjabi can speak sariki, until he has practised Sariki in childhood as it has accessive alphabets and their vocal card can't support...Multan has been the capital of the Sindh for centries but it was annexed with Punjab and the literate corner of the Punjab has declared it as Sarikie...Yes it is close to Sindhi...Do ask to make Punjabi rulers of Lahore to make Multan again capital and ...most funds are spent on upper punjab ...

MY DEAR PAKISTAN :( another BD inside Punjab, ALAS...

for detail please follow the threads:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/nation...-after-bengal-balochistan-do-you-support.html

http://www.defence.pk/forums/econom...establishment-seraiki-bank-how-good-idea.html

Only this establishment is mostly Sariki speaking (like Yousuf raza Gilani, Hina Rabbani khar zardari (not declared but YES), Imran khan ( people says),) If sariki get province now or never under idiot rulers of Lahore

This Forum is overflowing with Indians I am sure many will be able to shed some light on your and my post regarding the word for water in Sanskrit and Persians can confirm the word آب for water and it's origin in Persian.

jal................

@HappinessMark!

I don't really care for your Seraiki nationalism. You're entitled to your beliefs and you're right that it is difficult for a standard Punjabi speaker from Lahore or Amritsar to understand Seraiki but the same applies to Pothohari and Pahari dialects up north. That's because the dialect is very localized and not spoken much elsewhere save for diaspora Seraiki speakers.

I already made it clear that ap is the Vedic Sanskirt term for water. Someone else just agreed that jal is the Hindi term for water.

However, like I said, I still have my doubts because to my knowledege there is no historical documentation that the name Punjab was given by Farsi speakers.

Back
Top Bottom