What's new

Developments related to Iraqi Turkmen

I feel like not much is known about our Turkmen brothers and sisters in Iraq who have been under pressure for many decades now- from Saddam’s Arabization programs to the Kurds attacking them around Kerkuk etc. What are their numbers and in what areas are they concentrated? Are they speaking Turkish and still feel close to their Turk heritage or are completely assimilated like in Saudi Arabia for example.

Unfortunately I feel like not much help is given to them by the Turkish state too or at least it isn’t as much publicized (for propaganda purposes) as it is with Palestinians, Somalia etc.

ES01eCzWAAATGdZ

Irak demografik haritası

With the right pressure and attention of the Turkish public, the Turkmens in Iraq could easily get a much better representation and quality of life. The elephant in the room, why they do no receive as much attention as lets say Palestinians is maybe sectarianism, if you ask me.

You have to remember how much ME hates us, the leaders. Any attention given to them will be seen as turkification of regions and they’ll be singled out for hertz.

private business etc. doesn’t get that much attention, but any exaggerated deals...

Why is this in Turkish defence section? They are Iraqis and ME region shouldn't be divided along ethnic lines. Everyone in region need to change their mentality. Ethnicities can coexist if it wasn't for greed and selfishness of some nations and leaders.

Why is this in Turkish defence section? They are Iraqis and ME region shouldn't be divided along ethnic lines. Everyone in region need to change their mentality. Ethnicities can coexist if it wasn't for greed and selfishness of some nations and leaders.

Because it is about the Turkish minority in Iraq? In case you haven't noticed, the Turkish sub acts like the main hub for other Turkic country related news too.

Besides, Iraq is giving out these ministries according to ethnicity. Didn't they choose a Kurd to be the new Prime Minister or something?

Because it is about the Turkish minority in Iraq? In case you haven't noticed, the Turkish sub acts like the main hub for other Turkic country related news too.

Besides, Iraq is giving out these ministries according to ethnicity. Didn't they choose a Kurd to be the new Prime Minister or something?

They are not Turkish , however, they are Iraqi citizens.

I have no idea if the Iraqi PM is of Kurdish background , I don't think he is, but you can see where Iraq is getting with their ethnic divides. They see themselves as separate ethnicities and all seek a form of self rule which is preventing the country from moving forward.

They are not Turkish , however, they are Iraqi citizens.

I have no idea if the Iraqi PM is of Kurdish background , I don't think he is, but you can see where Iraq is getting with their ethnic divides. They see themselves as separate ethnicities and all seek a form of self rule which is preventing the country from moving forward.

They're indeed part of the Turkish minority that was left behind after the fall of the empire. Until the 1960's they were directly called Turks instead of Turkmens. The Iraqi gov. is trying to give all the minorities some sort of representation that's how it has been for the past decades, no? Kurds always got some ministry, for the Turkmens however, I think it is the first time. It's a good start. They are pretty much non-existent in terms of politics even though they're the 3rd biggest ethnic group in Iraq.

If you are so worried about the unity of Iraq maybe you should check on the Kurds...

I'm against dividing any country, was just talking about better representation in Iraq. They were one of the most effected groups of the ISIS insurgency, especially the Shia Turkmens.

Iraqi turkmens are the third largest group but unfortunately they are deliberately ignored when it comes to forming Iraqi government
I don’t understand why some foreigners are buthurt when we speak about turks in Iraq
They are fact everyone should acknowledge the sooner the better because one day they might see some developments that might be shocking for them
If water dams are properly used as pressure card turkmens will become first class citizens as it should be

They're indeed part of the Turkish minority that was left behind after the fall of the empire. Until the 1960's they were directly called Turks instead of Turkmens. The Iraqi gov. is trying to give all the minorities some sort of representation that's how it has been for the past decades, no? Kurds always got some ministry, for the Turkmens however, I think it is the first time. It's a good start. They are pretty much non-existent in terms of politics even though they're the 3rd biggest ethnic group in Iraq.

If you are so worried about the unity of Iraq maybe you should check on the Kurds...

They're Iraqi citizens and that's the point, Kurdish militias and pro-Iranian militias in Iraq are more powerful than the govt and dictate parts if Iraq's reality due to foreign military support. It should not be that way and Iraq needs to move towards inclusive form of government and society.

They're Iraqi citizens and that's the point, Kurdish militias and pro-Iranian militias in Iraq are more powerful than the govt and dictate parts if Iraq's reality due to foreign military support. It should not be that way and Iraq needs to move towards inclusive form of government and society.

Well, I'm not saying you're wrong but wishes and realities are usually quite different, Iraq is a good example for that.

To shed some light on the Turkmen situation in Iraq; there are 2 main political camps of Iraqi Turkmen.

- Turkmen Cephesi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_Turkmen_Front
- Turkmen Brigades https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkmen_Brigades_(Popular_Mobilization_Units)

In 2015-2016 Turkmen Cephesi wanted to form their own militia trained by Turkey, Turkey made such attempts north of Mosul however the plans ended with no results. The Turkmen brigades rejected this move from the Turkmen Cephesi, they have 3 brigades under the PMU led by Seyyid Yılmaz Neccaroğlu and Şehbaz Yılmaz Neccaroğlu.

Basically that means the question about the Turkmen turned into a small political battle between Turkey and Baghdad, the latter under PMU/Baghdad gained the upper hand. However if you ask me, Turkey did not really support any Turkmen effort in Iraq. They threw their weight behind Barzani, except for his independence referendum.

Having said that, they're well integrated and seek no seperatism. But of course they feel close to Turkey as well.

Back
Top Bottom