What's new

Development Ideas for South Asia

@Nihonjin1051 Do you have any suggestions on how to promote entrepreneurship?

Modernize agriculture. Higher yields, standardized crops, drip irrigation.

View attachment 232568
Very good.

Robotics can be utlizied to increase efficiency and reduce cost but for that, the robots have to be more affordable and the farmers have to be taught the technical aspects of the tools. Here's an example.

First and foremost, AWESOME Thread @Azizam , thank you so much for tagging me and inviting me. Had to really think about some projects for South Asia because there's just so much that comes to mind. There are four themes that do come to mind:

1. Energy Development
  2. Public Transportation Infrastructure Development
  3. Health System Infrastructure Development
  4. Tourism Industry Development

Let's start a discussion regarding these four themes?

Bro,

Don't be so pessimistic , your country has achieved so much in such a short time. And in regards to Sri Lanka, I had the privilege in doing a report on Sri Lanka development post-civil war , revolving on ethnic relations and the rebuilding initiatives of Southern and Northern Sri Lanka. To which i had the privilege in working with Tamil as well as Sinhalese Sri Lankans and to hear their side of the story --- and you knwo what i really admire about Sri Lanka? That despite there are differences between the Tamil and Sinhalese communities, both sides love and do honestly want to see the progress of Sri Lankan society. Even the one colleague, a Tamil Sri Lankan, who i had interviewed, despite the challenges affecting his community during the civil war, he referred to himself time and time again as a "Sri Lankan Tamil". When I asked him if he was a Tamil, he corrected me, "No, I am a Sri Lankan, a Tamil Sri Lankan."

Therein is the reason for the recent success of Sri Lanka post-civil war. There is even a sense of inclusivity and a culture of rehabilitation in your country. This is why Sri Lanka, despite recovering from a bloody civil war, has a GDP of $80 Billion, a GDP per capita of $3900 , which, by the way, is larger than India's, Pakistan's, Bangladesh, Indonesia's, The Philippines', Vietnam's, Cambodia's, Laos', Timore Leste.

Don't be pessimistic, bro. Your country, Sri Lanka, is moving in the right direction. It has achieved so much in such a short time, and she will continue to grow. Your nation has a stalwart partner in Japan , which will continue to invest in your beautiful island country. Your country has many friends. :)

Unfortunately, all that has been basically fu*cked (sorry) thanks to "yahapalanaya."

Sri Lanka is on a road to nowhere now.

Six months to take the country back six years.

And now after Friday a country without a government.

Even Azizam wanted a "change" and was screaming for it.

14255117618_804ca41280_b.jpg

Chennai Metro

E80kTyi.jpg

Jaipur Metro

mumbai-metro.jpg

Mumbai Metro

11oct22kpn85.jpg

Bangalore Metro

Rapid-Metro-Gurgaon-1.jpg

Gurgaon Metro

10250211_780409518745017_8952363924260423505_n.jpg

Hyderbad Metro

18258369031_151d819b35_z.jpg

Kochi Metro

mumbai-monorail.jpg

Mumbai Monorail

Well, I think India's plan of giving very populated cities other modes of transportation like metro rail, monorail, etc. is going well. As there are several recent metro rails and monorails popping up, planned, or current ones expanding. With even trans-state high speed rail in feasibility tests.

One crucial aspect of South Asians (especially Sri Lankans) I've noticed is that they tend to blame politicians for all their woes despite having democratic systems. They contradict themselves because in a democratic system, the politicians are bound to deliver what the people expect from them just to secure their power in elections. And despite blaming their failure on politicians, I have noticed that vast majority of people don't seem to demand better infrastructure, clean streets, better public transport, good standards of living etc. Not just that even developing infrastructure and planning cities properly are considered as a "waste of money" or "destroying the natural beauty of the country". For instance, many towns in Sri Lanka are in a very bad condition and they are poorly planned so in the recent times, the government tried to plan and organise one particular town but it was met with heavy protests, especially about cutting down two trees and that many were saying that this town is already beautiful and it doesn't need to be planned.

Here is a picture of the town I spoke about.

41640684.jpg

By looking at this picture alone, you can have an idea about how the town looks like and yet the reality is development projects are heavily resisted.

On the contrary, East Asians have a tradition of demanding infrastructure.

I think a cure to this mentality is the most important development idea for South Asia.

What are your ideas?

@Azizam
I have recommended many times about the model of Japan/SK/Taiwan summarised in a book called How Asia works by Joe Studwell, which thoroughly explains why Japan/SK/Taiwan are more successful than Philippines/Malaysia/Indonesia.

Can the Asian Miracle Happen in Africa? | Bill Gates
Quote from Bill Gates
So what are Studwell’s answers to the multi-trillion-dollar question of why some Asian countries developed rapidly and others (Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand) did not? He offers a simple, three-part formula:
  1. Create conditions for small farmers to thrive.
  2. Use the proceeds from agricultural surpluses to build a manufacturing base that is tooled from the start to produce exports.
  3. Nurture both these sectors (small farming and export-oriented manufacturing) with financial institutions closely controlled by the government.
However, from my opinion, this model is more genuine when a country is striving to become an industrial country. Within South Asia, different models shall be established. For Sri Lanka, of course, more efficient ways can be found, like in tourism, shipping, high-end agricultural, etc. But for much bigger country, Japan/SK seem to be an ideal teacher.

But @LeveragedBuyout may have different opinions.
See his post #13
Asia's Economic Miracle: Dead and Buried?

Quotes from an article of the Economist

And even when places like India or sub-Saharan Africa prise production from Factory Asia’s grasp, another problem remains. Manufacturing may no longer offer the employment or income gains that it once did. In the past export-led manufacturing offered a way for large numbers of unskilled workers to move from field to factory, transforming their productivity at a stroke. Now technological advances have led to fewer workers on factory floors. China and its neighbours may have been the last countries to be able to climb up the ladder of development simply by recruiting lots of unskilled people to make things cheaply.

Put policy to work

Such a model of development demands more of policymakers than competing on manufacturing labour costs ever did. A more liberal global regime for trade in services should be a priority for South America and Africa. Infrastructure spending has to focus on fibre-optic cables as well as ports and roads. Education is essential, because countries trying to break into global markets will need skilled workforces.

These are tall orders for developing countries. But just waiting for higher Chinese wages to push jobs their way is a recipe for failure.

@Azizam @powastick @Nihonjin1051
From my prospectives, only massive projects alone won't make a huge difference. We have seen lots of infrastructure projects, agriculture projects and education projects in Philippines/Malaysia/Indonesia. What I admire most is the policymaking of SK and Japan's MITI(METI after 2001). To some extent, China' National Development and Reform Commission is similar to Japan's MITI (not the much less powerful METI after 2001, METI is just as a regular ministry of economics). MITI was even more powerful than China's NDRC. China should future learn from MITI's experience before 2001, stricter export disciplines should be adopted, forcing low-end manufacturing to reform with the techniques of the ongoing industrial revolution.

Last edited:
@Azizam
I have recommended many times about the model of Japan/SK/Taiwan summarised in a book called How Asia works by Joe Studwell, which thoroughly explains why Japan/SK/Taiwan are more successful than Philippines/Malaysia/Indonesia.

Quote from Bill Gates
So what are Studwell’s answers to the multi-trillion-dollar question of why some Asian countries developed rapidly and others (Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand) did not? He offers a simple, three-part formula:
  2. Use the proceeds from agricultural surpluses to build a manufacturing base that is tooled from the start to produce exports.
  3. Nurture both these sectors (small farming and export-oriented manufacturing) with financial institutions closely controlled by the government.
However, from my opinion, this model is more genuine when a country is striving to become an industrial country. Within South Asia, different models shall be established. For Sri Lanka, of course, more efficient ways can be found, like in tourism, shipping, high-end agricultural, etc. But for more bigger country, Japan/SK seem to be an ideal teacher.

@LeveragedBuyout may have different opinions.
See his post #13

From my prospectives, only massive projects alone won't make a huge difference. We have seen lots of infrastructure projects, agriculture projects and education projects in Philippines/Malaysia/Indonesia. What I admire most is the policymaking of SK and Japan's MITI(METI after 2001). To some extent, China' National Development and Reform Commission is similar to Japan's MITI (not the much less powerful METI after 2001, METI is just as a regular ministry of economics).
Awesome input @AndrewJin I will order that book soon. Growth of tourism can be increased even more by upgrading infrastructure especially railway lines and one thing I've noticed is that Sri Lanka have to offer something unique for the tourists because tourists are not drawn into sightseeing alone which is what Sri Lanka has been promoting. I have few ideas like promoting water sports in designated areas. I need to research more about agriculture and shipbuilding, especially about what kind of an approach much successful countries have taken to increase productivity.

Also, do you have any ideas for IT sector?

Awesome input @AndrewJin I will order that book soon. Growth of tourism can be increased even more by upgrading infrastructure especially railway lines and one thing I've noticed is that Sri Lanka have to offer something unique for the tourists because tourists are not drawn into sightseeing alone which is what Sri Lanka has been promoting. I have few ideas like promoting water sports in designated areas. I need to research more about agriculture and shipbuilding, especially about what kind of an approach much successful countries have taken to increase productivity.

Also, do you have any ideas for IT sector?
One disadvantage of Sri Lanka is she is too far away from East Asia-ASEAN manufacturing powerhouse. I don't think Sri Lanka should put too much effort in it or wait for other countries in South Asia form a manufacturing powerhouse and then join it. The advantage of Sri Lanka is her strategic location, her beautiful land, her high HDI. I don't have too many ideas for IT sector, but I don't think IT is the best solution to Sri Lanka, if you only refer to outsourcing, which largely rely on other big IT powers. And Sri Lanka is also not China, which has the biggest domestic market for China's own IT giants like Baidu and Tencent. What I mean is it's best to find Sri Lanka's own way, as opposed to merely following other countries in the region. Instead of only planting tea, why not have your own brands and sell your world-class tea in China? We only see western brands here in the name of Sri Lanka, they earn the most. Believe me, no matter how much tea you can export to China, we can consume all.

Last edited:
First and foremost, AWESOME Thread @Azizam , thank you so much for tagging me and inviting me. Had to really think about some projects for South Asia because there's just so much that comes to mind. There are four themes that do come to mind:

1. Energy Development
  2. Public Transportation Infrastructure Development
  3. Health System Infrastructure Development
  4. Tourism Industry Development

Let's start a discussion regarding these four themes?

Bro,

Don't be so pessimistic , your country has achieved so much in such a short time. And in regards to Sri Lanka, I had the privilege in doing a report on Sri Lanka development post-civil war , revolving on ethnic relations and the rebuilding initiatives of Southern and Northern Sri Lanka. To which i had the privilege in working with Tamil as well as Sinhalese Sri Lankans and to hear their side of the story --- and you knwo what i really admire about Sri Lanka? That despite there are differences between the Tamil and Sinhalese communities, both sides love and do honestly want to see the progress of Sri Lankan society. Even the one colleague, a Tamil Sri Lankan, who i had interviewed, despite the challenges affecting his community during the civil war, he referred to himself time and time again as a "Sri Lankan Tamil". When I asked him if he was a Tamil, he corrected me, "No, I am a Sri Lankan, a Tamil Sri Lankan."

Therein is the reason for the recent success of Sri Lanka post-civil war. There is even a sense of inclusivity and a culture of rehabilitation in your country. This is why Sri Lanka, despite recovering from a bloody civil war, has a GDP of $80 Billion, a GDP per capita of $3900 , which, by the way, is larger than India's, Pakistan's, Bangladesh, Indonesia's, The Philippines', Vietnam's, Cambodia's, Laos', Timore Leste.

Don't be pessimistic, bro. Your country, Sri Lanka, is moving in the right direction. It has achieved so much in such a short time, and she will continue to grow. Your nation has a stalwart partner in Japan , which will continue to invest in your beautiful island country. Your country has many friends. :)

Comparing SL with peers in south Asia (GDP Per Capita, WB 2014)
  • SL has reached $3631 in 2014, significantly higher than the peers.
  • SL is one of its kind in her own bracket, while peers are below another underdeveloped region i.e. Sub-Saharan Africa.
Untitled.png

Comparing SL with some ASEAN countries:
  • SL has surpassed the Philippines and other newer members of ASEAN e.g. Myanmar, Vietnam
  • And has caught up with the biggest ASEAN economy i.e. Indonesia.
  • If SL successfully get back ASEAN membership, it's level of development would only trail Singapore, Brunei, Malaysia & Thailand, at par with Indonesia!
Untitled3.png

Post any development idea or success stories from South Asia or elsewhere and how they can be related and adapted by South Asia on this thread. Also, remember to be humble and avoid using provocative language.

All
  • Education; Infrastructure; Fiscal discipline.
Sri Lanka
  • Merge into ASEAN; Transportation/business hub in IOR; Advanced agriculture; B2B services; Tourism
Pakistan
  • Merge into Eurasian economic bloc (Iran, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, China, Russia); Transportation hub in IOR; Vision on central Asian growth; Key financial/communication/IT hub between Arab world (GCC/MENA) and East Asia.
Bangladesh
  • Merge into ASEAN; Agricultural reform, boost productivity; Become world's textile and garment manufacturing hub; Explore other light industries that employ intensive labour.

Last edited:
Those who litter and throw garbage everywhere must be given tight slap 'on the spot' and given challan.
apol_AB9yJ_1879.jpg

South Asia is partially in a mess because it embraced western ideals, liberties and democracy at a wrong time. Britain and America today are democracies, but at the key stages of industrialization, Britain had child labour and workhouses, while America exploited blacks. In Asia, South Korea and Singapore were hardly examplars of democratic ideals during the industrialization process. An advanced economy can embrace advanced ideals. On the other hand, for a barely literate, poor populace democracy has hardly any meaning. It is only a spectacle which appears every 4-5 years where people are hoodwinked. What South Asia needs is a benevolent autocracy, until people are ready to fully accept the full spectrum of rights and duties that a true democracy requires. Instead we have been brainwashed into thinking that 10 devils who counterbalance each other are better than one angel with absolute power. They are not.

South Asia is partially in a mess because it embraced western ideals, liberties and democracy at a wrong time. Britain and America today are democracies, but at the key stages of industrialization, Britain had child labour and workhouses, while America exploited blacks. In Asia, South Korea and Singapore were hardly examplars of democratic ideals during the industrialization process. An advanced economy can embrace advanced ideals. On the other hand, for a barely literate, poor populace democracy has hardly any meaning. It is only a spectacle which appears every 4-5 years where people are hoodwinked. What South Asia needs is a benevolent autocracy, until people are ready to fully accept the full spectrum of rights and duties that a true democracy requires. Instead we have been brainwashed into thinking that 10 devils who counterbalance each other are better than one angel with absolute power. They are not.

For every example of Singapore & South Korea you give (neither comparable to India), you have other examples of North Korea, the Middle East, Central Asia countries where what you suggest as the alternative failed miserably. We had two years of the dictatorship that you suggest (Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh have had many more) and they are not particularly remembered as times of great progress.

The answer is not simple. No one knows whether such systems would necessarily have succeeded, dictatorship in Pakistan ended with the country being cut into two. Even the benevolent dictatorship of Musharraf didn't really succeed because Pakistan quickly shrugged it off. No easy answers.

@Azizam

Quote from Bill Gates
However, from my opinion, this model is more genuine when a country is striving to become an industrial country. Within South Asia, different models shall be established. For Sri Lanka, of course, more efficient ways can be found, like in tourism, shipping, high-end agricultural, etc. But for much bigger country, Japan/SK seem to be an ideal teacher.

But @LeveragedBuyout may have different opinions.
See his post #13

From my prospectives, only massive projects alone won't make a huge difference. We have seen lots of infrastructure projects, agriculture projects and education projects in Philippines/Malaysia/Indonesia. What I admire most is the policymaking of SK and Japan's MITI(METI after 2001). To some extent, China' National Development and Reform Commission is similar to Japan's MITI (not the much less powerful METI after 2001, METI is just as a regular ministry of economics). MITI was even more powerful than China's NDRC. China should future learn from MITI's experience before 2001, stricter export disciplines should be adopted, forcing low-end manufacturing to reform with the techniques of the ongoing industrial revolution.

Awesome input as usual Andrew

For every example of Singapore & South Korea you give (neither comparable to India), you have other examples of North Korea, the Middle East, Central Asia countries where what you suggest as the alternative failed miserably. We had two years of the dictatorship that you suggest (Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh have had many more) and they are not particularly remembered as times of great progress.

The answer is not simple. No one knows whether such systems would necessarily have succeeded, dictatorship in Pakistan ended with the country being cut into two. Even the benevolent dictatorship of Musharraf didn't really succeed because Pakistan quickly shrugged it off. No easy answers.

Exactly he is comparing apples with oranges

why not have your own brands and sell your world-class tea in China? We only see western brands here in the name of Sri Lanka, they earn the most. Believe me, no matter how much tea you can export to China, we can consume all.

Sri Lanka has quite a lot of local tea brands like Dilmah and I see it in the UK all the time. What kind of brands do you get in China?

Back
Top Bottom