What's new

Developed cancer drug for 'western patients' who could afford, not 'for Indians': Bayer's CEO

Yes, I was with my maternal aunt, who was suffering from ovarian cancer.. Since she had no kids, always considered me as her son... And she was in stage 2...
@kṣamā, Dont quote me out of contex.. Quote complete sentence...
Those who gonna die for sure, let them die peacefully rather than making them suffer with cuts (operations) and medicines (the situation is for the patients for whom survival probability is extreamly low)...

First part of the post.. Agree..

Second part of the post, don't agree...

As of October 2013, the GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), formulated Malaria vaccine, named RTS,S, is said to have reduced the amount of cases amongst young children by almost 50 percent and among infants by around 25 percent, following the conclusion of an 18-month clinical trial. In a bid to expand the novel vaccine program to accommodate a larger group and guarantee a sustained availability for the general public, the GlaxoSmithKline is set to submit an application for a marketing license with the European Medicines Agency(EMA) in 2014. GlaxoSmithKline embarked on this project as a non-profit initiative, with most of its funding coming from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, a major contributor to malaria eradication in Africa. GlaxoSmithKline has been developing the Malaria vaccine for three decades, and now has the backing of the UN’s Swiss-based WHO, saying it will recommend the use of RTS,S for use starting in 2015, providing it gets approval.
Regards
---
thanks for reply..
Logical and facts based argument will help all..
GlaxoSmithKline embarked on this project as a non-profit initiative, with most of its funding coming from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, a major contributor to malaria eradication in Africa

First congrats to GSK
and as always to BMGates foundation

so all these companies who have 100 yrs of exp .. why did not spent R & D on malaria
gsk - estb 1924...
bayer -1863, pfizer - 1849
History of maleria
CDC - Malaria - About Malaria - History
Malaria or a disease resembling malaria has been noted for more than 4,000 years. From the Italian for "bad air," mal'aria has probably influenced to a great extent human populations and human history
current situation
-About 3.3 billion people – half of the world's population – are at risk of malaria. In 2010, there were about 219 million malaria cases (with an uncertainty range of 154 million to 289 million) and an estimated 660 000 malaria deaths (with an uncertainty range of 490 000 to 836 000). Increased prevention and control measures have led to a reduction in malaria mortality rates by more than 25% globally since 2000 and by 33% in the WHO African Region.

i know its not that simple .. but 50 yrs you cant able to developed vaccine ..?
GSK struggling for 3 decade . hope they can make it now...

Druken monke --can you tell me nexavor by bayer fully funded by BAyer for r&d or by through foundation like gate or international org like WHO.?

---
thanks for reply..
Logical and facts based argument will help all..
GlaxoSmithKline embarked on this project as a non-profit initiative, with most of its funding coming from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, a major contributor to malaria eradication in Africa

First congrats to GSK
and as always to BMGates foundation

so all these companies who have 100 yrs of exp .. why did not spent R & D on malaria
gsk - estb 1924...
bayer -1863, pfizer - 1849
History of maleria
CDC - Malaria - About Malaria - History
Malaria or a disease resembling malaria has been noted for more than 4,000 years. From the Italian for "bad air," mal'aria has probably influenced to a great extent human populations and human history
current situation
-About 3.3 billion people – half of the world's population – are at risk of malaria. In 2010, there were about 219 million malaria cases (with an uncertainty range of 154 million to 289 million) and an estimated 660 000 malaria deaths (with an uncertainty range of 490 000 to 836 000). Increased prevention and control measures have led to a reduction in malaria mortality rates by more than 25% globally since 2000 and by 33% in the WHO African Region.

i know its not that simple .. but 50 yrs you cant able to developed vaccine ..?
GSK struggling for 3 decade . hope they can make it now...

GSK has to be appreciated for the vaccine.. Though it has proved its efficacy in clinical trials, but it is not completely effective over all strains of plasmodium and whole population..

---
Druken monke --can you tell me nexavor by bayer fully funded by BAyer for r&d or by through foundation like gate or international org like WHO.?
Nexavor was co-developed and co-marketed by Bayer and Onyx Pharmaceuticals.. The total funding was done by these two organizations... The drug has Orphan Drug exclusivity till 22 Nov 2020..
Pharmaceuticals organizations globally do get funding for research of drugs for pandemics and cost of these medicine is also very less.. sometimes only nominal....
The current market volume of nexavar is $515 million USA, Japan, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and UK. By 2019 it will reach $1.4 billion. If you ask me, the total development cost of the product was near to 1.8 to 2 billion $... The major chunk of development goes to clinical trials.. The cost of development is low in India owing to less expenditure in CRO (Clinical research organizations) but the they are not on par with western CROs. The pharmaceuticals are surely at par with western phama generics...

Last edited:
GSK has to be appreciated for the vaccine.. Though it has proved its efficacy in clinical trials, but it is not completely effective over all strains of plasmodium and whole population..

Nexavor was co-developed and co-marketed by Bayer and Onyx Pharmaceuticals.. The total funding was done by these two organizations... The drug has Orphan Drug exclusivity till 22 Nov 2020..
Pharmaceuticals organizations globally do get funding for research of drugs for pandemics and cost of these medicine is also very less.. sometimes only nominal....
The current market volume of nexavar is $515 million USA, Japan, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and UK. By 2019 it will reach $1.4 billion. If you ask me, the total development cost of the product was near to 1.8 to 2 billion $... The major chunk of development goes to clinical trials.. The cost of development is low in India owing to less expenditure in CRO (Clinical research organizations) but the they are not on par with western CROs. The pharmaceuticals are surely at par with western phama generics...
but i think CRO is banned in india right?
can you break up the cost chain .. and approximate cost per stage..
like Raw material - API -trials - formulation - marketing - govt tax - end user....
objective is understand companies perspective and can we able to close some gaps to help it?

but i think CRO is banned in india right?
can you break up the cost chain .. and approximate cost per stage..
like Raw material - API -trials - formulation - marketing - govt tax - end user....
objective is understand companies perspective and can we able to close some gaps to help it?
CRO are not banned in India.. There are lot many such as Lotus, Acro labs, GVK, Veeda... named few of them.. There are llot many...
Do you want me to break down the cost of manufacturing or cost of whole project development??

CRO are not banned in India.. There are lot many such as Lotus, Acro labs, GVK, Veeda... named few of them.. There are llot many...
Do you want me to break down the cost of manufacturing or cost of whole project development??
but i think clinical trail are banned by SC...
project development cost..
may be in nutshell as per your understanding...
petrol at refinery cost about 35- 40 /lit + tax .. so if we can focus on tax component to minimize price
if you can it will be helpful

but i think clinical trail are banned by SC...
project development cost..
may be in nutshell as per your understanding...
petrol at refinery cost about 35- 40 /lit + tax .. so if we can focus on tax component to minimize price
if you can it will be helpful

For that you need to understand the cycle of drug development.
It is majorly divided in to two stage Pre-clinical & Clinical.
Preclinical

1. Chemical research:
Research is moderate contributor in cost.. The raw materials may not be too much costly.. But the factor which contributes the cost is level of success. Also the Physico-chemical evaluation is a costly business. Candidates for a new drug to treat a disease might theoretically include from 5,000 to 10,000 chemical compounds. On average about 250 of these will show sufficient promise for further evaluation using laboratory tests, mice and other test animals. Typically, about ten of these will qualify for tests on humans.

2. Testing on animals:Research is minimal contributor in cost.. About 5% of total candidates of molecules will get screened..

3. Formulation development: The drug discovered need to to be formulated in suitable dosage form tablets capsules injections, ointments, creams, drops etc depending on its purpose and properties of drugs.. This also include method development and associated cost with includes machines (one machine might cost up from 0.5 million to 2 million USD)

Clinical studies:
There are lots of expenses here. A single clinical trial can cost $100 million at the high end, and the combined cost of manufacturing and clinical testing for some drugs has added up to $1 billion. But the main expense is failure.
Why include failure in the cost? Right now, fewer than 1 in 10 medicines that start being tested in human clinical trials succeed. Some biotechnology companies do manage to make it to market without having to spend money on failed medicines but only because other startups went bust trying to test other ideas.
  • Phase I trials, usually in healthy volunteers, determine safety and dosing.
  • Phase II trials are used to get an initial reading of efficacy and further explore safety in small numbers of sick patients.
  • Phase III trials are large, pivotal trials to determine safety and efficacy in sufficiently large numbers of patients.
  • (Phase 4): These are post-approval trials that are sometimes a condition attached by the FDA, also called post-market surveillance studies.
After this comes the patent application and dossier submission.. The total cost may go up to 5 to 10 million.

The average cost of bringing a new drug to market is $1.3 billion if considered with fairly good success.
The average drug developed by a major pharmaceutical company costs at least $4 billion, and it can be as much as $11 billion.

Using the cost of research to justify the prices of prescription drugs was always a dumb move on the pharmaceutical industry’s part. Just because something was expensive doesn't make it good. And another: many medicines are over-priced, but high-cost drugs are only a small part of our general health cost problem. Medicines are just among the easiest products to scapegoat because their prices are easier to track.

Just to add to my previous post, RND spending of leading pharma companies
Company Number of drugs R&D Spending ) Total R&D approved Per Drug ($Mil Spending 1997-2011 ($Mil)
AstraZeneca 5 11,790.93 58,955
GlaxoSmithKline 10 8,170.81 81,708
Sanofi 8 7,909.26 63,274
Roche Holding RHHBY 11 7,803.77 85,841
Pfizer Inc. 14 7,727.03 108,178
Johnson & Johnson 15 5,885.65 88,285
Eli Lilly & Co. 11 4,577.04 50,347
Abbott Laboratories 8 4,496.21 35,970
Merck & Co Inc 16 4,209.99 67,360
Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. 11 4,152.26 45,675
Novartis AG 21 3,983.13 83,646
Amgen Inc. 9 3,692.14 33,229

Last edited:
not me........but kudos to drunknmonk...:)
Actually we should have a thread discussing about medicine and its impact on Indians/south asians... We should not buy substandard medicines... Off-course am not asking to buy twice of thrice fold costly medicine.. But anyone has any doubts, please go on...
And since this is my profession, I will always try to contribute in positive way...

For that you need to understand the cycle of drug development.
It is majorly divided in to two stage Pre-clinical & Clinical.
Preclinical

1. Chemical research:
Research is moderate contributor in cost.. The raw materials may not be too much costly.. But the factor which contributes the cost is level of success. Also the Physico-chemical evaluation is a costly business. Candidates for a new drug to treat a disease might theoretically include from 5,000 to 10,000 chemical compounds. On average about 250 of these will show sufficient promise for further evaluation using laboratory tests, mice and other test animals. Typically, about ten of these will qualify for tests on humans.

2. Testing on animals:Research is minimal contributor in cost.. About 5% of total candidates of molecules will get screened..

3. Formulation development: The drug discovered need to to be formulated in suitable dosage form tablets capsules injections, ointments, creams, drops etc depending on its purpose and properties of drugs.. This also include method development and associated cost with includes machines (one machine might cost up from 0.5 million to 2 million USD)

Clinical studies:
There are lots of expenses here. A single clinical trial can cost $100 million at the high end, and the combined cost of manufacturing and clinical testing for some drugs has added up to $1 billion. But the main expense is failure.
Why include failure in the cost? Right now, fewer than 1 in 10 medicines that start being tested in human clinical trials succeed. Some biotechnology companies do manage to make it to market without having to spend money on failed medicines but only because other startups went bust trying to test other ideas.
  • Phase I trials, usually in healthy volunteers, determine safety and dosing.
  • Phase II trials are used to get an initial reading of efficacy and further explore safety in small numbers of sick patients.
  • Phase III trials are large, pivotal trials to determine safety and efficacy in sufficiently large numbers of patients.
  • (Phase 4): These are post-approval trials that are sometimes a condition attached by the FDA, also called post-market surveillance studies.
After this comes the patent application and dossier submission.. The total cost may go up to 5 to 10 million.

The average cost of bringing a new drug to market is $1.3 billion if considered with fairly good success.
The average drug developed by a major pharmaceutical company costs at least $4 billion, and it can be as much as $11 billion.

Using the cost of research to justify the prices of prescription drugs was always a dumb move on the pharmaceutical industry’s part. Just because something was expensive doesn't make it good. And another: many medicines are over-priced, but high-cost drugs are only a small part of our general health cost problem. Medicines are just among the easiest products to scapegoat because their prices are easier to track.

Just to add to my previous post, RND spending of leading pharma companies
Company Number of drugs R&D Spending ) Total R&D approved Per Drug ($Mil Spending 1997-2011 ($Mil)
AstraZeneca 5 11,790.93 58,955
GlaxoSmithKline 10 8,170.81 81,708
Sanofi 8 7,909.26 63,274
Roche Holding RHHBY 11 7,803.77 85,841
Pfizer Inc. 14 7,727.03 108,178
Johnson & Johnson 15 5,885.65 88,285
Eli Lilly & Co. 11 4,577.04 50,347
Abbott Laboratories 8 4,496.21 35,970
Merck & Co Inc 16 4,209.99 67,360
Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. 11 4,152.26 45,675
Novartis AG 21 3,983.13 83,646
Amgen Inc. 9 3,692.14 33,229
--

thanks a ton..
it will help me to understand under prospective...

You can´t fund research with love and happiness...thats the simple fact.

True, but with them you can't be humans too :P

The present system is certainly wrong and we must have some kind of Public -private partnership.

That is like that one Simpsons episode when Lisa develops her own "feminist" malibu stacy doll...in the end only one girl did buy her. Lisa said: If just one girl is happy! It was worth it!

The CEO: Well...if she paid 12 million $ you are right...

Back
Top Bottom