What's new

Destination Pakistan: 80 MILLION Domestic Tourists!

Meengla

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Some pretty interesting and encouraging observations. Imagine the potentials when there is regional peace?

https://aurora.dawn.com/news/1142801/destination-pakistan

In the past five years, domestic tourism in Pakistan has increased exponentially. According to the Pakistan Tourism Development Corporation (PTDC), it is estimated that 80 million tourists travelled within Pakistan, mostly between May and August. The numbers have been growing since 2013. Several factors have contributed to this growth, including better infrastructure, increased awareness about travel-worthy places and a rise in the number of tour operators.

Beyond the north
The northern parts of Pakistan have historically been the most popular places for domestic tourism – and for good reason, as northern Pakistan offers some of the most scenic landscapes found on the face of our planet, as well as a pleasant summer climate. However, there has now been a surge in tourism in the southern parts of the country to spots that were previously little-known as tourist attractions; these include Gorakh Hill, Gwadar and National Hingol Park. Their popularity started to rise when a few tour operators began offering tours to these locations. They shared their photos on social media and prompted other groups to start offering tours there as well. These spots have now become mainstream tourist attractions. People who found it cost- or time-prohibitive to fly from southern Pakistan to Islamabad in order to go up north, have turned to these spots in the south for weekend trips.

The ease and cost efficiency of running a Facebook page has enabled many tour operators to reach out to hundreds of thousands of people. It can cost as little as $10 to reach between 5,000 and 7,000 people within a relevant geographic location. Furthermore, the options to refine audiences by gender and interests made it even more efficient to reach out to the right customers.
The Facebook pages
5a3132e32df36.jpg

Lake Saiful Muluk -Photos: Urooj Hussain

Before the advent of social media, it took time, effort and funds to become a tour operator, even in the domestic market. Maintaining a physical presence in the form of an office to deal with clients was a major expense, and having the resources for a conventional marketing campaign was a different story altogether. Social media has changed all this. The ease and cost efficiency of running a Facebook page has enabled many tour operators to reach out to hundreds of thousands of people. It can cost as little as $10 to reach between 5,000 and 7,000 people within a relevant geographic location. Furthermore, the options to refine audiences by gender and interests made it even more efficient to reach out to the right customers. This has enabled even travel enthusiasts to become tour operators; many individuals who previously used to travel and explore little-known parts of the country are now running their own successful tours – a dream occupation for any traveller! Today, to be a successful tour operator, all one needs is a credit card, basic knowledge on how to run a social media account, pictures of places worth going to and the required knowledge of those places.

Improvements in infrastructure
Improvements on the Makran Coastal Highway and the Karakoram Highway, as well as the development of several highways and motorways, have enabled even the least powerful of cars (such as a Mehran) to travel easily to destinations previously accessible only by 4x4s. And things are getting even better with the ongoing work on CPEC, which aims to make the remotest parts of Pakistan accessible. For example, before the construction of the Makran Coastal Highway, Karachi was linked to Gwadar by a dirt track and it would take almost two days to drive from one city to the other. Today, the time has shrunk to under 10 hours. If you leave Karachi on a Friday night, you will be in Gwadar in time to watch the sunrise on Saturday and then explore the city and its mesmerising beaches until Sunday morning. Leave for Karachi after breakfast and be back in town for dinner – not bad for a weekend escape!

Tour operators aside, some people have even started to monetise their travel adventures by writing about their experiences, building a loyal audience of followers and earning through advertisements, endorsements, product placements, sponsorships and collaborations with commercial organisations.
Social media drives tourism inspiration
5a3132e2ce768.jpg

Naltar Valley -Photos: Urooj Hussain

This is probably one of the biggest factors in the growth of tourism, both local and foreign. Nothing tempts today’s travellers more than beautifully-captured Instagram shots. The growth of social sharing by people visiting such locations has encouraged many people to pack their bags and do the same. Tour operators aside, some people have even started to monetise their travel adventures by writing about their experiences, building a loyal audience of followers and earning through advertisements, endorsements, product placements, sponsorships and collaborations with commercial organisations. This new-found income enables them to invest in their travels, buy better photography equipment, plan longer tours, go to even more remote locations and, in turn, inspire an even larger number of people to make a similar journey.

To sum up, Pakistan’s tourism industry is making a real difference to the lives of millions of people by driving growth, creating jobs, reducing poverty and fostering development and tolerance across our regional as well as international borders. And we are only getting started!

Urooj Hussain is Associate Director Digital, Brainchild Communications.urooj.hussain@starcompakistan.com

Development of three hill stations: One a the 3300 foot mountain top just north of the HUB dam reservoir for people in the south of the country, a second one at Fort Munro, and a third at Sakesar for the middle of the country. modernizing Muree and completing the Karakorum highway to allow travel to many smaller towns in the north should fulfill our needs for places near our major cities and full tourism regions. Our nation has a great series of mountains that allow for hill stations. we should develop them first; getting out of the heat is the biggest attraction.

Pakistan has great potential to became tourist heaven but for that we need to improve our hospitality industry and security.

Development of three hill stations: One a the 3300 foot mountain top just north of the HUB dam reservoir for people in the south of the country, a second one at Fort Munro, and a third at Sakesar for the middle of the country. modernizing Muree and completing the Karakorum highway to allow travel to many smaller towns in the north should fulfill our needs for places near our major cities and full tourism regions. Our nation has a great series of mountains that allow for hill stations. we should develop them first; getting out of the heat is the biggest attraction.
muree is a shithole. Thieves galore. I wouldn't send an indian there

80 million?? Apni khala ke ghar jaana bhi ab tourism ho gya???

Nangay, my paternal family home is in Mansehra and I live in Karachi. Over the course of years many of my friends with their families have been to my hometown and stayed at our place. We go to our hometown twice a year. Every month there is atleast 1 guest/family from my hometown who come to Karachi to us and enjoy beach. Now I don't know whether we all are considered 'tourists' by definition but hey, that's atleast change of environment for us to relax :-)

Ofcourse, my hometown is not the only place which we visit.

Nangay, my paternal family home is in Mansehra and I live in Karachi. Over the course of years many of my friends with their families have been to my hometown and stayed at our place. We go to our hometown twice a year. Every month there is atleast 1 guest/family from my hometown who come to Karachi to us and enjoy beach. Now I don't know whether we all are considered 'tourists' by definition but hey, that's atleast change of environment for us to relax :-)

Ofcourse, my hometown is not the only place which we visit.

Yes, as they say in Urdu: "Harkat me Barkat" (Bounties in Movement: Anything is better than stagnation). People may visit their relatives but in the process there is money spent on gas, food, gifts... Cumulative affect of millions of people doing it helps generate more tax, more tourism knowledge, more employment. Rinse and repeat.

I think you are referring to 'Baddo Jabbal' (the big mountain) in the lower reaches of Kirthar Range? Yes, its a very approachable escape from the heat of Karachi. There is supposed to a half-finished sanitarium on it--start on that too.

I think someone should pay attention to your post and start some of those projects. Look at Gorakh Hill Station project: Despite gross incompetence and corruption, it has taken off and is transforming the lives of Wahi Pandi residents.

Build it and then will come!

80 million?? Apni khala ke ghar jaana bhi ab tourism ho gya???

The statistics are for the last 5 years. Maybe a little exaggeration but since 2013 the internal security situation is improving a lot.

80 Million tourists wtf. :lol: Are they counting all the poor labour that travel from large cities back to their home regions during Eid and other holiday periods?

80 Million tourists wtf. :lol: Are they counting all the poor labour that travel from large cities back to their home regions during Eid and other holiday periods?

Most of the Country is poor so you shouldn't laugh; china too was once poor and as their economy grew, they built attractions their people could afford, and attractions that suited their people. (I know Murree was started by the British.) If we buildup affordable attractions in key areas with decent amenities, you get places like Murree. Murree is the best our country could afford for a long time. There were "poor" people there when I visited, they too want to enjoy their lives. I rather cater to the poor, as they will come in the millions and it improves social harmony. the rich have all the options, especially in nearby Dubai. we need to plan for our poorest and work our way up. Tickle down doesn't work. bottom up is the way to go.

Look at the Murree model; Good location (good weather), restaurants, some rides, hotels to stay at (different prices for different budgets). That's it

We just need more places like Murree and bigger places; to handle the capacity. More attractions; different ones at each hill station. good infrastructure at the hill stations, good transportation to and from major cities. maintaining cleanliness, orderliness, and maintenance. (just got back from Disney world, so I can report back what seemed to work, and these key things were it)

Also branding. we need a national management company to manage attractions to maintain quality and volume service, Like Disney. Our own cartoon characters the kids visit. theme venues with the decorations, and rides where you get to see different stories. A Food town in each hill station with replica buildings from each Pakistani city and some foreign countries/regions; China, Turkey, Arabia, British, and America. Pakistan people love different kinds of food. moving seated attractions telling stories would be popular. Acrobats, Musicians, circus performers. (I made a list while I was there at what I think might work for this very Idea, but these were a few of the top ones).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom