What's new

Desert Tactical Arms, pulled out of a $15 Million Pakistani Sniper rifles order

According to my information; company had an internal coup from some ex-military low level employee's who refused to assist in the Pakistani project. This lead to some concern with the management who most likely thought that dealing with Pakistan would dent their local sales as the ex-military employees would be mouthing off left right and center if the company did not comply. So that and perhaps watching the OBL flick and taking it too seriously in hick town USA, they bailed out. While doing that they would have thought to might as well gain some sympathy with the local hicks and grunts as well!

One thing is for sure; this stupid act on part of Desert Tactical will hurt this company more compared to perhaps stopping any arms sales to Pakistan from other US companies. Other countries will also now think twice before they buy from them. Pushing selective morality is not a very good international sales tactic!
You understood exactly what I was trying to say. It would take me a week to go through all of the relevant numbers...but they must have had someone who thought this was a good move. Not having the numbers or projections, I would have gone with the Pakistani sale. Even in local adds...it looks better to point to some national organization that uses your product. The future of this company bears watching to see how successful this strategy was.

I just heard that EXPRESS NEWS ran a story on this matter on its 6 o'clock News segment. Can anyone locate and post a link to this news item?

Last edited:
I hope we understand that this is a very small deal that has multiple vendors responding to this original tender. Pakistan has multiple fallback options in this small arms deal.

I hope we understand that this is a very small deal that has multiple vendors responding to this original tender. Pakistan has multiple fallback options in this small arms deal.

That is very well understood by all here! What is not understandable as to why for cheap publicity is the company using the wrong facts to malign Pakistan Armed Forces? This small company will also be participating in the SHOT SHOW in Las Vegas next week perhaps and hence they may be seeking attention to their stall one way or the other.

The other fact is that the global media is throwing this news on its outlet without even giving credence to the authenticity of the claim put forth on this company's Facebook page. What I am afraid of that this will also be swept under the rug by the Pakistani authorities without giving a proper response to the matter.

Its someone's simplistic understanding, who seems to have served in Afghanistan and feels that since Pakistan is not doing anything about the Taliban on its side, it must be aiding them in harming Americans. In times of conflict, you are bound to get such emotional sentiment.

I am not even sure if this is a newsworthy item.

WEST VALLEY CITY: A Utah-based gun manufacturer has turned down a $15 million deal to supply Pakistan with precision rifles, citing concerns they could eventually be used against US troops.

Mike Davis, sales manager at Desert Tech, said the company was on a short list for a contract with Pakistan, but spurned the opportunity because of unrest in Pakistan and ethical concerns.

It was a difficult decision because of the amount of money involved, he said, and the sale of rifles to Pakistan would have been legal.

''We don't know that those guns would've went somewhere bad, but with the unrest we just ended up not feeling right about it,'' Davis told KTVX-TV.

The company, based in the Salt Lake City suburb of West Valley City, was founded in 2007 on the principle of keeping America and its allies safe, he added.

A press release on the company's website said Desert Tech was approached with the opportunity to sell precision rifles to Pakistan in November.

''As a business owner you always want to be successful, but I think ethically and morally you want to go about it the right way and stick behind your founding principles,'' Davis told KSL.

Weapons sales to allies such as Pakistan are nothing new but they can be complicated, especially in a country with an al Qaeda presence.

The US often targets al Qaeda, Taliban members and their Pakistani supporters in the country's tribal regions.

''I've got to admire Desert Tech for potentially turning down what could have been a very lucrative contract in the interest of protecting American service members,'' said Col Steven R. Watt of the Utah National Guard.

The rifles can change caliber within minutes and have the capacity to shoot as far as 3,000 yards (2,740 meters) .

Desert Tech, formerly known as Desert Tactical Arms, has had military contracts with other countries but declined to reveal specifics.

Utah gun maker turns down $15M deal with Pakistan - DAWN.COM

This idiot doesn't realize that these snipers will be used to hunt down the Taliban crossing the border from Afghanistan once US leaves.

this is crazy.how can we waste our time on this topic.take it easy guys its just a sniper rifle.just buy turkish.thats all

To any student of the Law - Can we bring a defamation suit against them or something ? :unsure:

For starters, the probability that Pakistan would lose such a case is extremely high. Remember how you folks threatened legal action against the BBC but never went through with it? Lene ke dene parh jaayenge.

His loss, someone else can get the contract.

desert technical arms cancelled pakistani sniper order of 10mn$ . company said it can be used against US forces .

company's CEO massage

In 2013 we faced a moral dilemma that I wanted to get some opinions on. The current US administration is sponsoring FMS arms sales to Pakistan forces. In 2013 We had been approached with a multi-million dollar opportunity to legally supply sniper systems to Pakistan. I was never in the armed services but we employ several military veterans. Our greatest fear was that our equipment might be used against US troops. I started this company to protect Americans not endanger them. In consulting with other arms companies the general responses I got was, if they don't buy it from you, then they will get it somewhere else, or money is money. After much internal review we elected not to sell to Pakistan. I wanted to throw this out to our military friends to see if our concern was legitimate and hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks

Nick Young

they made two type of snipers

DTA SRS-A1 Rifle Chassis
DTA HTI Rifle Chassis

Dear Imran, In today's newspaper (Khabrain, Multan) Foreign Office of Pakistan said that US has not closed the contract with Pakistan to provide guns. I just read this and asking you for confirmation. It was mentioned that they did not receive any information regarding this.

Dear Imran, In today's newspaper (Khabrain, Multan) Foreign Office of Pakistan said that US has not closed the contract with Pakistan to provide guns. I just read this and asking you for confirmation. It was mentioned that they did not receive any information regarding this.

Welcome brother.

That is accurate, the Desert Tactical Arms is just seeking attention.
They are just pulling Miley Cyrus on Pakistan.

What is the problem ? Buy from someone else , we are paying the money for it , who gives a darn if a gun maker has suddenly started to talk of ethics and doesn't want to sell its product ?

Back
Top Bottom