What's new

Desert Tactical Arms, pulled out of a $15 Million Pakistani Sniper rifles order

What a farce! A guy in the business of selling weapons having a moral dilemma over it. Why would he bring up the issue if the US government was sponsoring the sale? He probably wasn't going to get the contract anyway and decided to market himself as a patriot.

Judging by the fact that the message was posted on their Facebook page (Desert Tactical Arms - Salt Lake City, UT - Local Business | Facebook and American firearms industry patrons and the resultant advertisement policy adopted, it is a publicity stunt plain and simple. Apparently (as per the Facebook comments) Americans (or only Dumb Fat White Guys as liberal Americans say) are influenced by such statements which paint the 2nd Amendment supporters as the last bastion of freedom in the world (US no less) doing their patriotic duty by buying "Made in the USA" arms and accessories.

desert technical arms cancelled pakistani sniper order of 10mn$ . company said it can be used against US forces .

company's CEO massage

In 2013 we faced a moral dilemma that I wanted to get some opinions on. The current US administration is sponsoring FMS arms sales to Pakistan forces. In 2013 We had been approached with a multi-million dollar opportunity to legally supply sniper systems to Pakistan. I was never in the armed services but we employ several military veterans. Our greatest fear was that our equipment might be used against US troops. I started this company to protect Americans not endanger them. In consulting with other arms companies the general responses I got was, if they don't buy it from you, then they will get it somewhere else, or money is money. After much internal review we elected not to sell to Pakistan. I wanted to throw this out to our military friends to see if our concern was legitimate and hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks

Nick Young

they made two type of snipers

DTA SRS-A1 Rifle Chassis
DTA HTI Rifle Chassis
if this statement is true ,which i doubt until someone can conform this news,then this company is fkd up. Company board should change him if they want to save this company.

Simple issue, he should be updated that US has provided Pakistan with

a) F16 C/D
b) Missiles Air-Air
c) Smart Bombs etc

So the sniper rifles are least of the items that would be of concern

Last edited:
What a bunch of Bull Cr@P!!

Desert Tactical Arms NEVER got any order from Pakistan Army let along it being at US$15 million or this program being under FMS!!! They were simply 'one' of the 12 other contenders including 3 additional US companies (Barrett Arms, EDM Arms and THOR GDG) and the remaining from South Africa, UK, Easter Europe etc. The actual trials of the offered sniper weapon systems are to be held sometime this month by the Army. Rifles that qualify the trials will then be shortlisted for purchase through a tender process. The contractual stage will come after that with the technically qualified lowest bidder. So the company is essentially putting forth a LIE out of its teeth here to gain the so called 'moral support' in the USA!!!

Secondly, Desert Tactical Arms (or Desert Tech LLC now) sold thousands of rifles to Saudi Arabia recently in one of its largest ever orders placed under the FMS program. They made millions in profit from the sale. Last I checked, the full fleet of 9/11 tragedy perpetrators in the USA were SAUDIS and so was Osama Bin Laden. So where is the so called 'moral dilemma' of this company in this situation?

The CEO of this company (Nick Young) seems to be an idiot as well not knowing that Pakistan is already using a spate of weapons made in the USA in its armory and not even once these weapons have ever been used against any US or American soldiers etc. As a matter of fact, all US weapons are being used AGAINST the Talibaan and the terrorists at large.

As the saying goes, stupid is what stupid does. Pakistan will certainly not miss a hick-company out of Utah and will simply buy the sniper weapons as and when required from multiple other sources who are currently also laughing at Mr. Nick Young of being the dumbest CEO of a company out of Utah, USA!

@XYON

What sort of Sniper requirements have been placed?

Desert Tac Arms makes 'recon' sniper rifles for urban warfare with exchangeable barrels.

If Army is looking for something long range then Barret and Cheytac can provide the best solution.
We are already using, Barret, Accuracy International, Range Master, Tikka, h&k, Sig, Styer..Sniper rifles, so i don't know what the fuss is.

As you said, and Idiot does what an Idiot does!

Thor XM-408

THOR_XM408_408CT_rifle.jpg

EDM Arms, sells Cheytac Intervention. M-200 and 300.

and then there are other US firms, and the German, the Swiss, French, British and Turkish firms...
If you read carefully....they mention that. And this is wonderful PR....they will get tons of local business...far more than they would have from foreign sales. (the civilian gun market in the US is pretty hefty)

If you read carefully....they mention that. And this is wonderful PR....they will get tons of local business...far more than they would have from foreign sales. (the civilian gun market in the US is pretty hefty)

Unlikely!! Civilians buy in 1s or 2s while countries buys in thousands of units followed by after sales. US sniper market is very competitive where you also have tons of competition from other cheaper vendors. You cannot make up in local sales at the loss of foreign sales. Foreign sales always brings much more revenue then local sales.

But the bastards are certainly trying to gain local sympathy mileage at the behest of maligning Pakistan Armed Forces

Unlikely!! Civilians buy in 1s or 2s while countries buys in thousands of units followed by after sales. US sniper market is very competitive where you also have tons of competition from other cheaper vendors. You cannot make up in local sales at the loss of foreign sales. Foreign sales always brings much more revenue then local sales
Not always, but they are usually welcome....and in certain circumstances preferred. You would have to look at a few factors. If you thought this would lead to further sales to the government intended....rookie move. If you thought this sale would lead to sales from other governments...again, rookie move. If you thought this sale would hurt domestic sales that were your bread and butter....smart move. That's why market consultant is a real job and not a sad joke. For my part....I would prefer to run a company with strong international sales. If that is not a possibility...put a good spin on it. (watch Madmen sometime) Plus, Utah is strong Mormon. I may not agree with all their weirdness....but they are strong nationalist.

Not always, but they are usually welcome....and in certain circumstances preferred. You would have to look at a few factors. If you thought this would lead to further sales to the government intended....rookie move. If you thought this sale would lead to sales from other governments...again, rookie move. If you thought this sale would hurt domestic sales that were your bread and butter....smart move. That's why market consultant is a real job and not a sad joke. For my part....I would prefer to run a company with strong international sales. If that is not a possibility...put a good spin on it. (watch Madmen sometime) Plus, Utah is strong Mormon. I may not agree with all their weirdness....but they are strong nationalist.

According to my information; company had an internal coup from some ex-military low level employee's who refused to assist in the Pakistani project. This lead to some concern with the management who most likely thought that dealing with Pakistan would dent their local sales as the ex-military employees would be mouthing off left right and center if the company did not comply. So that and perhaps watching the OBL flick and taking it too seriously in hick town USA, they bailed out. While doing that they would have thought to might as well gain some sympathy with the local hicks and grunts as well!

One thing is for sure; this stupid act on part of Desert Tactical will hurt this company more compared to perhaps stopping any arms sales to Pakistan from other US companies. Other countries will also now think twice before they buy from them. Pushing selective morality is not a very good international sales tactic!

Back
Top Bottom