What's new

Defense Budget Hiked to 2.3 Lakh Crore

5% increase in dollars, 12% increase in rupees (due to the rupee devaluation). The present budget is around $38 billion.

Only????? i thought i heard people saying budget would be increased 25% at least...

Did anybody notice (among the din of off topic posts) the most important part of the budget vis-a-vis defence? FDI limit has been hiked from 26% to 49%.

what are the implications?

controlling budget deficit is important. Good thing is he allocated money for madasra. Hope it ll help them.
as he got majority, i was expecting more strict actions.
hope Modi ll try to improve indigenous abilities of building defence equipments.

I have verified by every admin. You idiots on other hand trolling in a very important discussiong. And spewing your bigotry towards Muslim minority.

There is no special freebies for certain community.
If you want development then earn education like any other Indian and find out your own job.
All Indians are equal under our constitution and there is no special privileges for certain communities.

so what do you want ? Some quota , reservation in Indian budget. This is India budget not south Asia budget.
and about 35% figure. Well in world rest are minority for you please have peace with them.
Read my earlier posts on why Indian Muslims need seperate 35% reservations in PVT and GOVT sector and education.

There is no special freebies for certain community.
If you want development then earn education like any other Indian and find out your own job.
All Indians are equal under our constitution and there is no special privileges for certain communities
Under constitution! But in reality something else happens due to hinduvadi RSS supporters.

Read my earlier posts on why Indian Muslims need seperate 35% reservations in PVT and GOVT sector and education.

No reservation please , we don't need unqualified people on important jobs be it Muslim or Non- Muslim.I am against any type of reservation so if you want job do the deed.(Educate yourself like others)

what are the implications?

Nothing, the previous DPP also allowed 100 percent FDI in defence as long as real and substantive ToT occurred, no interested foreign OEMs were found, now we are saying that if we unconditionally jack up the FDI cap then the OEMs will consider ToT, it is an inane notion when judged by any rubrik provided by the rules of formal logic. We have neither the balls nor the foresight to implement the extremely strict laws that need to be instituted to ensure intellectual capital and products generated by any OEM which avails itself to higher FDI actually translates to the technology accruing to our own nation, such as lets say the IP/IR of products developed by the foreign OEM's Indian unit residing with said unit only within country (that's how the Americans role, ergo being very happy with high FDI caps in said sector).

An uninspiring budget, albeit better than its predecessors, in terms of defence, a 1000 crore outlay for strategic lines in the NE is a joke.

No progress on strategic rail lines yet - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: This year's rail budget may have allocated higher funds to boost connectivity in the northeast but the long-pending military project for construction of 14 "strategic" rail lines on the fronts with Pakistan and China is yet to take concrete shape.

The biggest hitch has been the funding for the 14 lines, which were first approved by the defence ministry way back in November 2010 to ensure swifter transportation of troops, weapons and other war-fighting equipment to border areas during conflicts.

But the railway ministry, holding that it's already executing 11 "national projects" in the north-east and one in J&K, has consistently refused to take up the un-remunerative "strategic" lines unless both their construction and operating costs are completely funded by either the MoD or finance ministry.

MoD, in turn, says it cannot divert money from its own budget because military modernization is already suffering from lack of funds. A flurry of meetings coordinated by PMO and cabinet secretary with all the ministries concerned has largely failed to resolve the deadlock.

With the rail budget making no special mention of the strategic lines, the defence establishment is hoping the Union budget on Thursday will make some amends. "The Army, in fact, has identified four lines (three in north-east, one in J&K) as the topmost priority since it was told all 14 could not be taken up together. Conservative estimates show the 14 lines, which add up to 3,016 km, would cost well over Rs 1 lakh crore," said a source.

Of the four lines, for instance, the earlier estimate for the Missamari-Tawang line (378 km) stood at Rs 19,108 crore. Similarly, the North Lakhimpur-Along-Silapathar line (248 km) was pegged at Rs 11,158 crore.

Apart from seven new trains for the north-east, railway minister D V Sadananda Gowda on Tuesday announced a Rs 5,116 crore outlay for the 23 projects underway in the region, 11 of which are national projects. "This is a 54% jump over allocations in the previous year," he said.

While this is good news for the general connectivity of north-east, the military establishment is awaiting the finance ministry's support for the "strategic" lines. "Though the finance ministry did not agree for dedicated non-lapsable funds, it did suggest funding from the gross budgetary support allocation (what the government provides to the railways from the national exchequer)," said a source.

As earlier reported by TOI, just 18 of the 73 "strategic'' roads identified for construction along the 4,057-km Line of Actual Control for better troop mobility almost a decade ago have been fully completed till now.

China, in contrast, has meticulously built far-reaching air, rail and road links along the LAC, which includes five fully-operational airbases, an extensive rail network and over 58,000 km of roads in the Tibet Autonomous Region.

Did anybody notice (among the din of off topic posts) the most important part of the budget vis-a-vis defence? FDI limit has been hiked from 26% to 49%.

Should have been higher. I believe this was because of pressure from CII & other industry bodies not to. I believe that in certain cases, even 100% should have been allowed. Better to build in India (under foreign ownership even) rather than to buy it from another country.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom