What's new

Defence modernization funds cut by Rs 10,000 crore

IMHO, There is NO defence cuts in this fiscal nor it is possible in near future. This is "desi media" at it's best, i m finding no other source for the news besides TOI. The figure of Rs 193000, which was allocated in this fiscal is totally untouched, the story is about the additional funds which were asked by the MOD to the tune of Rs 40k, i think the FM has allocated 30k but not complete 40k & our great media has taken it as a DEFENCE CUT :disagree:

The picture will become completely clear when the Budget for 2014 fiscal will be presented in feb this year, than we can get the total expenditure by our Armed forces.

Defence modernization funds cut by Rs 10,000 crore; Army operations may be hit - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: The modernization budget of the armed forces has been slashed by around Rs 10,000 crore in a major jolt to them in the New Year. The cut is contrary to defence minister A K Antony's earlier promise of a hike in the defence budget to cater for the threat of the expansive China-Pakistan military nexus.

The finance ministry conveyed the decision for the Rs 10,000 crore cut in the capital acquisitions for the Army, Navy and IAF to the defence ministry, arguing that fiscal adjustment was necessary since the economic situation was grim, said sources.

The move will lead to a major slowdown in the ongoing acquisition projects—ranging from aircraft and helicopters to howitzers and missiles. It also makes it clear that the already much-delayed $20 billion MMRCA (medium multi-role combat aircraft) project to acquire 126 fighters will not be inked anytime before March 31.

IAF had been assured an additional Rs 10,000 crore to cater for the first instalment of the MMRCA project—under which final commercial negotiations are underway for French Rafale fighters—if inked within this fiscal.

Antony, during a rare discussion on defence preparedness in Parliament in May, himself had declared he would seek a hike in the Rs 1,93,408 crore defence outlay in the 2012-13 budget due to "new ground realities" and the "changing security scenario" in the backdrop of the China-Pakistan nexus.

But, now the armed forces' hopes have been dashed. As it is, they get much less than what they demand every year. The armed forces, for instance, had sought a defence outlay of Rs 2,39,123 crore this fiscal that would have amounted to 2.35% of the projected GDP for 2012-13, but got only Rs 1,93,408 crore, or 1.9%.

Then, revenue expenditure (day-to-day costs and salaries) in the defence budget continues to far outstrip the capital outlay for new weapons, sensors and platforms. The two stood at Rs 113,829 crore and Rs 79,579 crore, respectively, this fiscal.

"The actual capital acquisitions budget was even less at Rs 67,672 crore. First, the revenue budget (non-salary) was cut. Now, the capital outlay also has been hacked. The forces were on course to spend 67% of the allocated capital outlay by this time. Many projects will be pushed to the next fiscal," said a source.

While Navy and IAF are better placed, the real worry is the "critical operational hollowness" in the 1.13-million Army. The Army had projected a requirement of over Rs 10 lakh crore for the 12th Plan (2012-17) period to acquire new capabilities and plug huge operational gaps in artillery, aviation, air defence, night-fighting, ATGMs (anti-tank guided missiles) and specialized tank and rifle ammunition.

A crucial project during the 12th Plan is to raise the new mountain strike corps, with two specialized divisions for high-altitude areas, at a cost of well over Rs 60,000 crore. Dedicated for "rapid reaction ground force capability" against China, this corps will have its HQs in Panagarh (West Bengal) and add to the two new infantry divisions already raised at Lekhapani and Missamari (Assam).

:cry::cry::cry:

It was always on the cards as the economic downturn is more and more evident in last couple of years...that is why IAF did a big mistake in lingering the MMRCA deal for too long .....any further budget cuts will further derail india's efforts to cope up with China as China is already spending more than india if not by much than atleast 2.5 times more ...with economic situation further improving for China and other way round for india the gap will only increase ....As far as Pakistan is concerned you guys already have enough budget and equipment to have an edge technological wise ...with defence budget already stands around 3 times higher than Pakistan...so no worries for you on that end

It was always on the cards as the economic downturn is more and more evident in last couple of years...that is why IAF did a big mistake in lingering the MMRCA deal for too long .....any further budget cuts will further derail india's efforts to cope up with China as China is already spending more than india if not by much than atleast 2.5 times more ...with economic situation further improving for China and other way round for india the gap will only increase ....As far as Pakistan is concerned you guys already have enough budget and equipment to have an edge technological wise ...with defence budget already stands around 3 times higher than Pakistan...so no worries for you on that end

Firstly, read my earlier post before jumping onto ANY conclusion.

Secondly, India is not in a RECESSION where economy is growing less than the previous year, India is still adding more MONEY each year than the previous one, yes it is not more than the expected addition but still is more, so any talk of defence budget cuts b'coz there is economic downturn is ABSURD.

Thirdly, India does not wish to compete with China bullet to bullet, what we want is only a credible deterrence against them, so we never have any intention to match Chinese military budget.

Fourthly, AFAIK, India's defence budget is atleast 5-6 times more than Pakistan, so we have NO worries vis-a-vis Pakistan, If India is facing a downturn than Pakistan isn't doing any better.

Poor journalism, nothing more expected from TOI though. Read it again, it says that 10000 cr. will be cut for capital acquisitions but in the next paragraph it says that the IAF get another 10000cr. for capital acquisition.

Concerning the economy: Its true that we face a downturn, but this is a global phenomenon. The world faces a recession. Even Chinas growth suffered under it. However, there are things we can do in India to somehow improve the situation, but these actions would require stronger economic liberalization.

Firstly, read my earlier post before jumping onto ANY conclusion.

Secondly, India is not in a RECESSION where economy is growing less than the previous year, India is still adding more MONEY each year than the previous one, yes it is not more than the expected addition but still is more, so any talk of defence budget cuts b'coz there is economic downturn is ABSURD.

Thirdly, India does not wish to compete with China bullet to bullet, what we want is only a credible deterrence against them, so we never have any intention to match Chinese military budget.

Fourthly, AFAIK, India's defence budget is atleast 5-6 times more than Pakistan, so we have NO worries vis-a-vis Pakistan, If India is facing a downturn than Pakistan isn't doing any better.

firstly my reply was in response to the article posted and not some random post...secondly the point you mentioned about Pakistan...i already mentioned that in my post if you would have read it carefully ..here for you again that part of my post

.As far as Pakistan is concerned you guys already have enough budget and equipment to have an edge technological wise ....so no worries for you on that end

so why you needed to tell me that again ....just for some ego boosting ....btw where did i mention that Pakistan's economy is in boom or compared it with indian economy? why you always want to jump into stuff that relates Pakistan

So india never invaded anyone? To be honest Invasion of Hyderabad and Goa is technically an invasion.

You forget kashmir , Junagarh, BD and Siachin invasions. India invades these "countries" as well.

Who says 2 billion USD is not much?? Its more than 5% defence budget.

Who says 2 billion USD is not much?? Its more than 5% defence budget.

Not gonna happen, read this shitty article again. 2billion USD will be cut and at the same time 2billion USD are assured to the IAF.

firstly my reply was in response to the article posted and not some random post...secondly the point you mentioned about Pakistan...i already mentioned that in my post if you would have read it carefully ..here for you again that part of my post

so why you needed to tell me that again ....just for some ego boosting ....btw where did i mention that Pakistan's economy is in boom or compared it with indian economy? why you always want to jump into stuff that relates Pakistan

Sorry if u took me wrong, my post just stated facts no ego boosting or anything. But the article u were responding to can at best be said to be a POOR JOURNALISM as there is no other source of this news as well as the article itself doesn't specify as to what figures does MOD has now after the so called CUTS, so i request u & other members not to take this news seriously.

Thanks.

Each crore is about $190,000 right? So, 10,000 x 190,000 = 1,900,000,000 just 1.9 billion dollars. That's not that much.

It is quite a cut,considering that the Rs 10,000 crore hack represents 15.6% of the total capital outlay。

You forget kashmir , Junagarh, BD and Siachin invasions. India invades these "countries" as well.

Oh come on please dont confuse issues. Kashmiri invasion was launched by tribals from Pakistan, but Deccan was an invasion as it declared independence.

Oh come on please dont confuse issues. Kashmiri invasion was launched by tribals from Pakistan, but Deccan was an invasion as it declared independence.

plz don't give us history lessons.. Look at yourself.. THe only reason why a separate muslim nation was carved out during '47 was the overwhelming muslim votes in favour of it from the east bengal province.. Neither jinnah till '45 nor any major leader from west punjab was in favour of it. Look what you guys did to them. No wonder they got separated from you guys in '71.

In Fact, Mr. Ajai Shukla wrote an interesting article in year 2008 arguing that there is more to the defence budget than what meets the eye, acc. to him there are other figures which should be normally included in defence budget (acc. to the UN) but GOI/FM disperse it in various ministry's budgets, thus when we total it, it comes out thousands of crore more than what is usually called the defence budget of India:

Ajai Shukla: How much is the defence budget?

HOW THEY ADD UP

(Figure in Rs crore)

Declared defence budget 1,05,600
Nuclear forces 1,300
Paramilitary forces 7,632
Paramilitary housing 555
Border fencing 608
Border infrastructure 504
Pensions 15,564
Ministry of Defence 2,370
Actual defence budget 1,34,133

Mind u, these are 4 years old figures, if we take it for the 2012-13 fiscal than it should easily come out to be Rs. 2,50,000+ crore which is $ 46+ billions.

There was no option given for any province to declare independence. They have to either join India or pakistan.

PS: Lets leave the offtopic discussion.

Back
Top Bottom