What's new

Dear Engineers, Can I sue my university?

Reaction score
Country
India
Dear Moderators and Dear Admin,

I am really sorry to start a third thread with almost identical content. I would have made the changes in original thread itself but you know that neither the title nor the post can be edited now. The previous ones were confusing and didn’t convey the question. I am also sorry for discussing India-centric issue but I really want to share my experience. I will delete the thread once I get my answer.

Dear engineers, Can I protest against my university and also write to HRD ministry? Please kindly and patiently read this whole stuff and respond to the question properly. Please don’t stop even if you find it tedious and boring.

Till 4th semester I was enthusiastic about studies. In 5th semester, something happened which paralyzed me into inaction.

1st semester result: All subjects passed in first attempt

2nd semester result: One backlog (failed arrear) subject

3rd semester result: All subjects passed despite tough question papers when most of the class failed in atleast one

4th semester result: Few backlog (failed arrear) subjects but I was enthusiastic nevertheless

In 5th semester, I came to know something which devastated me. I was so demoralized and panicked that I started bunking exams. Psychologically the incident affected me so much that I took eight more years to complete REMAINING two years of the course. The issue is not the grades but the psychological effect and the consequential loss of years [almost a decade in addition to regular initial 2yrs (2+8=10)]. There were other factors which exacerbated the situation. Detailed elaboration is required here. But bombarding with details could confuse the first-time reader. For time being, get acquainted with the crux of the complaint.

So what happened in 5th semester? Someone told me the rule that if you fail and have backlog subject, whatever be passing attempt score, for grand total sum and percentage calculation, first attempt marks is considered. Suppose a student fails in three subjects by scoring 25, 31 and 26 and later passes those subjects by scoring 45, 50 and 37, then for grand total sum and percentage calculation, 25, 31 and 26 are again used and not 45, 50 and 37. That way one can score zero marks and percentage and yet become BE/BTech graduate. I am an Engineering degree holder despite my score being just 34%.

Is the above rule (usage of first attempt score for everything in my university) a deviant exception in India or is it a normal practice everywhere? Is my thinking correct if I accuse my university of maladministration? If I complain to AICTE, will my complaint be valid?

It has become human rights issue because my basic economic security is in danger. As I said before, it’s about loss of years and aging and NOT about marks/percentage or field of profession. Had the rule been different or if they had revealed this before admission, I might not have scored any better but I would have finished the degree earlier, say 5-6 or even 4 years. Then I would have had freedom and peace of mind to focus on bank clerical exams, railway clerical exams or school teacher’s exams. Now I am left in lurch.

Bhai
I do not think that this is an apt forum to discuss such things. Indian Universities are known for such flip- flops. I don't think suing the university would yield any result.

is it AICTE approved, sounds like you got degree from a madaris.

It has become human rights issue because my basic economic security is in danger.

I don't think it's human rights issue. Because only you are complaining while no human raised this issue till now.

Human rights can not help you. Consult lawyer. But ignorance of law is no excuse so university can not be sued

Dude, take legal help and call for support from your fellow students and make it public!... The more of you protest, the less there is for your university to react to it.

Which University? Is it affiliated to AICTE? If not, then there's anything they can do.

i dont know which university you are talking of, but in autonomous universities like NITs IITs NIIITs , there is different rule...
and moreover , i feel the person who gave u that advise, just misguided you..

Probably he is referring to Banaras Hindu University !
lol... BHU is one of the best educational institution in india, which pakistanis can only dream of...
better not troll in every thread..

So what i understood here is they cleared your subject but didn't upgrade the marks !
If this is the case thn i think your complaint is legit
Here in Pakistan a friend of mine had developed an issue with the university and they were about to drop him out
He challenged it in something called the Wafaqi Mohtasib....and won!!!
Wafaqi Mohtasib (Ombudsman) of Pakistan
Maybe you have a similar institution in India.

Back
Top Bottom