What's new

De-Mining Equipment of Pakistan Army

Thanks arsalan :) are they home made?

yes, made in Pakistan.
i visited the factory with my Father where these were being manufactured and took these pictures.

what nice is that we are not only making these from Pakistan Army but a private firm named Suffi Industries is also exporting these, generating some $$!

JANE'S DEFENCE WEEKLY -
Pakistan's mineclearing capability export push

Soofi Defence Industries of Pakistan is promoting for export the Mineclearing Roller System (MCRS), known in Pakistan as the Trawl Anti-Mine system (TAM) which was introduced into service with the Pakistan Army several years ago.

The Pakistan Army uses the TAM system installed on either a turret-less Czechoslovakian T-55 series main battle tank (MBT) chassis as a dedicated mine clearance system or on the NORINCO (China North Industries Corporation) Type 59 MBT armed with a 100mm, or more recently, 105mm gun.

The MCRS can be installed on an MBT in 30 to 40 minutes. The T-55 chassis can be fitted with a crane to offload replacement rollers so no additional logistical support in the form of a truck-mounted crane is required.

Two roller assemblies are mounted on the front of the hull. Each contains four 900mm diameter x 180mm wide rollers. As the vehicle moves forwards at a speed of between 8 to 10km/h, the rollers exert pressure on the ground. This detonates the anti-tank mine. The force of the explosion causes the roller assembly to be lifted upwards on its suspension, thus reducing the force of the blast. This is distributed on the mass of the roller, arms and the mass of the carrier vehicle attachment.

A chain attachment is hung between the two sets of mineclearing rollers to activate any anti-tank mines fitted with a tilt rod fuze. The rollers clear a path to the immediate front of the track of the vehicle. The MCRS is also referred to as the Track Width Mine Roller (TWMR).

The complete MCRS system weighs about 7,000kg, with each roller being specially heat treated to endure between eight and 10 mine blasts. When travelling, the rollers are raised clear of the ground so that the vehicle can operate at its normal speed.

Soofi Defence Industries stressed to Jane's Defence Weekly that the MCRS is an all-mechanical system as this is more suited to the harsh local operational environment.

The MCRS can also be used in conjunction with a plough kit to clear double fuzed and electromagnetic anti-tank mines. Another alternative is to fit a full-width rake at the rear of the vehicle. The latter weighs 2,000kg and is 4m wide and can plough up anti-tank mines to a maximum depth of 305mm.

The standard MCRS has four rollers but an alternative is to use six rollers with an additional roller unit mounted at the rear to enable the vehicle to clear a full path width of anti-tank mines. This version, which weighs 10,000kg, is also referred to as the Full Width Mine Roller (FWMR).

The T-55 version is a dedicated mine clearing system. The Pakistan Army delivers the basic chassis to Soofi Defence Industries which then fits the MCRS. Before entering service, the complete system is tested against a typical 10kg anti-tank mine.

The MCRS can be fitted to a wide range of MBT types, including AMX-30; Leopard 1; Russian T-54/T-55/T-62/T-72/T-80; and US M1/M47/M48/M60 to name but a few. So far, the only export customer is understood to be Kuwait which took delivery of a number of systems some years ago after the 1990-91Gulf War to clear Iraqi-laid anti-tank mines.

regards!

thanks a lot for sharing the information dear.
can you share something regarding the detection equipment as well.

regards!

Here is the mine detector used by the Land Forces:
28by0kx.png

And do you know, Pakistan trains dogs, of which some are used for mine detection.

The Mine Detection Dog Training Course, which is for dogs between 3-12 years is a 16 weeks course,with 2 courses per year.

The Army Dog Breeding Training Centre and School (ADBTC&S) was established in 1952. It was assigned the mission of breeding, rearing, training and issue of trained dogs to the formations/units. In addition to this, the school was also responsible to train the officers & soldiers in different dog courses. It was initially authorised 114 persons and 292 dogs on its establishment. In 1965, the unit was reduced to 16 persons and 63 dogs but in 1966-67 the Table of Organisation & Equipment was revised & strength was increased to 50 persons and 100 dogs. In 1986, the need was felt to increase the strength of dogs to 300 and men to 102.

Here is the mine detector used by the Land Forces:
28by0kx.png

And do you know, Pakistan trains dogs, of which some are used for mine detection.

The Mine Detection Dog Training Course, which is for dogs between 3-12 years is a 16 weeks course,with 2 courses per year.
yes,this is a normal hand held detectors that can be seen in many Pak Army Pictures. i was looking for some details. this in not something very special, something like normal metal detectors.
one interesting thing to note is that detectors are also being produced locally by KRL and some private organizations.

the use of Dog unit in anti mine operations is also being increased after the disturbance in North western parts of the country.
here are a few images from Army Dog Breeding Training Center and School (ADBTC&S)

Dog%20breeding%201.JPG

Dog%20breeding%204.JPG

Dog%20breeding%203.JPG

Army Dog Breeding Training Centre and School

Over Hand Protector:
The OHP 100 Overhand Protector and the CHP 100 Conical Hand Protector provide a high level of blast protection to the top and sides of the hand during demining activities. Both allow the deminer to easily use common AP Mine Clearance hand tools and metal/mine detectors.
Open design allows the hand to stay cool
Very lightweight
Accommodate a wide range of hand sizes
1.UXO_HandAndFoot_5.jpg

1.UXO_HandAndFoot_4.jpg

i guess that will help understanding the system:

Mine Clearing Roller System (MCRS)
The track-width mine roller is a mechanical minefield-detection system. It is most effectively deployed to lead columns on route movement, but it can be used to precede tactical formations. In column movement, unit vehicles travel a narrow path, and one or two mine rollers can effectively detect mines in the path. Mine rollers can also be used to detect minefields in front of deployed tactical formations; however, more than one roller is required for a good probability of detection.

The Mine Clearing Roller System (MCRS) consists of two sets of five large, heavy rollers which, like mine plows, are fitted to the front of each of a tank's tracks. The MCRS is installed on the front of armored combat vehicles through a removable adapter, and provides the capability for neutralization of Anti-Tank (AT) land mines, which are buried or laid the surface, in the track path of the vehicle. The MCRS is comprised of two roller banks with two push arm assemblies. Each roller bank has four rollers, which apply ground pressure higher than that exerted by the tank. This principle ensures the explosion of pressure fused anti tank mines, which would otherwise explode under the track itself.

The AMMAD (Anti Magnetic Mine Activating Device) system, which is connected between the roller banks, detonates magnetic fused A.T. mines, which are laid in the full width of the vehicle. The same device will also activate tilt-rod-fused mines, which are laid between the track path. The MCRS usually operates in conjunction with other mine-clearing equipment, like the plough and line-charges. The MCRS travels as the first tank of combat forces and detects the mine field (through detonation of a mine). After creating a breached lane by the plough or line-charge, the MCRS is the first tank to test that lane. In the absence of other main mine-clearing equipment, the MCRS creates an initially breached lane allowing other tanks to follow its path. Each side of the MCRS is capable of withstanding at least 5 accumulated explosions of M-15A.T. mine (10 Kg. explosive).

During Operation Desert Storm, the MCRS was cumbersome, heavy (the entire system weighs about 20,000 lbs.) and hard to transport. In addition, since they were originally designed for the firmer soil conditions of Europe, its rollers were unsuitable for the softer soil of the desert. Instead of rolling, they often merely skidded, pushing soil in front of them until they bogged down. The 1st Marine division attempted to proof two lanes with the MCRS. Both were unsuccessful, and one missed a mine, which blew apart a track of the tank pushing it, immobilizing the tank and blocking the lane.
Mine Clearing Roller System (MCRS)

USMC M60A1 RISE (Passive) Patton MBT w/Mine Roller - YouTube

good link but i hv pics of these guys when we give all of them training......unfortunatly they never use those stuff

I suppose it all has to do with situation and location of an incident,
I once came across an image of a BDS guy on job in Lahore, looking as if straight out of Hurt-locker.

I suppose it all has to do with situation and location of an incident,
I once came across an image of a BDS guy on job in Lahore, looking as if straight out of Hurt-locker.

i will try to post these guys pics for your information.........hurt locker is good idea for those whose only think that BDS is very simple job in Pakistan......when we conducting first BDS in Pakistan they work with sticks and zero knowledge about circuts and all stuff.....i will try bro that you feel hurt locker in Pakistani .............

you are wrong dear anti tank mines already damage them i think these rollers are replaceable .

designed to sustain hit of 30 anti tank mines and 70 anti personal mines.

these are designed that even after targeted number of mines are cleared the rollers are not completely destroyed. the tenths or the scales that you can see in these rollers get damaged. the rollers can then be removed and repaired. there were some roller in house with repair job to be done when i visited the facility, perhaps being used in Northern western parts or just after trails.

Wow thats great work Arsalan.

Lets not forget the hand-held metal detectors used by Pakistani forces.
They are widely used, and were even used in the Waziristan operations.

[IM
2eusy9c.png

China gave Pakistan the special boots used by soldiers while mine hunting.

The Spider Boot Foot Protection System is a truly revolutionary design for protecting a deminer’s feet and legs against blast-type anti-personnel mines. It can be worn without training in almost any terrain for reconnaissance, detection and victim assistance.

The Spider Boot Foot Protection System elevates the foot so blast energy and fragments disperse and deflect away from the foot. The hull absorbs residual blast energy and fragments.

Although I couldn't get the pictures, it must look something like this:

052_pics.jpg

16151691984c985df17f43a.jpg

i have checked the foot protection wear being used by Pakistan army. the ones you mentioned are not exactly Spider Boots.
these are actually Kevlar pads with metallic meshing inside for better protection. these were given as a gift from China.
Pakistan army also uses home made Spider boots.
spiderboot1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom