What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first reports from the Paris Airshow are coming up:

Dassault Rafale convinced to sell in India and hopes this year

Dassault Aviation was convinced Friday to sign the contract for the sale of aircraft Rafale fighter with India, both parties wish to conclude by him this year...

..."India was the first export customer of Dassault in the 50s, it will surely also the first to sign the (contract) Rafale," said the CEO of Dassault, Eric Trappier at a press conference in Paris .
"We hope to go as soon as possible. If we listen to our Indian friends and if we listen to ourselves, we would like to finish in 2013, is finally sign a contract," said the new boss who took the orders of the manufacturer at the beginning of the year.
India has chosen the Rafale in January 2012 after a call for tenders for 126 units and an optional additional 63 aircraft. "Discussions are underway on this option," said Mr. Trappier.
Refusing to enter into the details of negotiations, Mr. Trappier simply said they were going "in a very good mood", including the division of responsibilities between France and India on the one hand, and French industrial Indian and other. "There has never been a lock," he said...

Dassault Rafale convinced to sell in India and hopes this year - Flash news - Economics - 14/06/2013 - leParisien.fr

Something from the EF:

BAE'S dogfight in the global fighter jet market

...But it is the Typhoon’s financial firepower that chiefly interests BAE’s shareholders, still coming to terms with how the defence group’s Eurofighter consortium was out-gunned on a mega-deal last year.

It found itself outflanked by France’s Dassault Aviation in the bid for 126 warplanes for India – one of the biggest defence contracts on the block with an estimated value of at least $15bn (£9.6bn). India plumped for the Rafale jet fighter instead – though the deal has yet to be finalised.

Since then, BAE’s Eurofighter consortium – whose other members are Italy’s Finmeccanica and Airbus-maker EADS, representing Germany and Spain – has won a £2.5bn order from Oman for 12 Typhoons and eight Hawk training aircraft. But all eyes are now on three big looming contracts for South Korea, Malaysia and the UAE...

...Add in the 12 fighter jets for Oman and, at a build rate of 24 jets a year, the production line extends into 2018, with the Typhoon a proper European project...

BAE'S dogfight in the global fighter jet market - Telegraph

AESA radar clears trial fit with Eurofighter

One of the key future enhancements for the Eurofighter combat aircraft has moved a step closer to becoming reality, after BAE Systems performed a trial installation of an active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar with a test example of the aircraft...

...Although no full integration and production contract has yet been signed, the sensor is also already being offered to potential future export customers for the Typhoon.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...dar-clears-trial-fit-with-eurofighter-387060/

GetAsset.aspx

@sancho, so you've been head-hunted by BAE now then?

Last edited by a moderator:
@sancho, so you've been head-hunted by BAE now then?

Now? I was pushing the BAE/Mahindra offer for FICV for a long time too, but in this case it's just reporting news and infos with relations to MMRCA and that still includes EF of course. ;)

Now? I was pushing the BAE/Mahindra offer for FICV for a long time too, but in this case it's just reporting news and infos with relations to MMRCA and that still includes EF of course. ;)

Lol, well it is an established fact you were working for Airbus Military but it seems you moonlight with BAE also!

Seriously though do you really see this deal going to EFT? I think even if the worst were to happen and the Rafale bid collapses, the deal still wouldn't go to L2 EFT.

The EFT has zero chances in India now whatever way you cut it as far as I am concerned. All these articles originating from the Brit media when referring to the MMRCA deal will always so " but the deal as not been signed yet" implying there is still a chance for the Typhoon to swoop in and clinch the deal at the last moment.

This is pure fantasy.

Dassualt would have to be a new species of r-tard to lose the MMRCA bid now, right when the finishing line is in sight.

Lol, well it is an established fact you were working for Airbus Military but it seems you moonlight with BAE also!

That's why so many people hate me, I actually route in many different directions, because I want the best for the forces and Indian defence. That's why I loved the selection of Rafale in MMRCA, but expect the F18SH for IAC2, or why I love the LCA, but still won't be shy to criticise the way the development was done, or why I am for the A400M and against additional C17s...

Seriously though do you really see this deal going to EFT? I think even if the worst were to happen and the Rafale bid collapses, the deal still wouldn't go to L2 EFT.

No I don't but according to the rules and regulations, the EF is the 2nd option and by the lack of improvements in the LCA project, it remains to be the only option, although I would guess that IF Rafale won't be selected, we might go for some Pak Fa early versions (in a leasing deal or so) instead, because although only MMRCA can get us all the needed tot and offsets to improve our industry, the operational advantages of even the early Pak Fa are far superior to what the EF might be able to provide us by 2020.
This radar instalations and trials were initially meant to be done in 2011/12, but Indias decision made the EF partners not to provide the fundings and even now they haven't. Which confirms what I said since 2009 and why the EF was never a good choice for India. However, the current problems are made by Dassault and that is the sad part, because I would have expected them to finish things as fast as possible and not bring the deal in trouble for such silly things.

Btw, Dassault Aviation CEO Éric Trappier confirmed at a press conference, that the current negotiations already include the optional 63, so there is a good possibility that IAF will get the prime operator of Rafales, especially if France doesn't order any more as it seems currently.

Rafale demo at Paris Air Show 2013, cockpit view:

The last page cracked me up....LMAO! Beautiful pic but a direct 'SNIPE' for American figthers and the Typhoon.

:sniper:

Yes, especially against the EF, but that all has it's pros and cons, which the French are realising as well. As long as France is the only operator of Rafale, remaining with the production, funding upgrades and ordering spares or weapons in higher numbers to reduce the costs will be difficult. That in the current global financial situation is very difficult for a country and which results in the cut of Rafale orders too, just as it happened with the EF.
So the French (Dassault) should finally understand the importance of the Indian order and shoult stop messing around and offer a partnership for India to get the most out of it for both sides.

Crossposting from the MP forum, credits to Olybrius:

an0u.jpg

Le Bourget 2013: New Rafale developments

At the Paris Air Show, the French DGA agency presents on its stand two preliminary studies programs currently funded to improve the performance of the French fighter aircraft in matter of detection and electronic warfare.
Unreported, the LEA (Leurre Electromagnetique Actif, active electromagnetic decoy) project was presented for the first time at Le Bourget. This involves the development of a releasable active decoy, which would confuse a air-to-air missiles seeker in its terminal guidance phase. At least 4 lures could be carried by a Rafale in the same place of the current chaff at the rear of the fuselage. Unlike Eurofighter, this lure would not be towed by the aircraft, but dropped and would not have propeller either.
"Such a system would effectively complement the Spectra system already built into the plane to thwart some very specific threats, such as air-to-air missile seekers operating in Ka-band"
said an engineer. [...]the LEA is being studied at MBDA, and tests in tunnel shooting took place a month ago to check the separation system. Wind tunnel testing of the releasable lure should take place at the end of the year. This program is conducted under the PEA Incas (Integrating New Capabilities to Spectra)[...]

Air & Cosmos translation

New video of Rafales dogfights with the F22 during the ATLC exercise in 2009:

New video of Rafales dogfights with the F22 during the ATLC exercise in 2009:

Statement from the Rafale newsblog to the video:

The interresting thing in that engagement is that there are only 2 high G turns at the begining (400-500 kts / 9G+). Then, everything is about being able to manoeuver at very low speed... down to 80 knots in the Rafale case which is the very edge of its flight envelope.

Also note how the TV camera of the OSF (on the left side of the nose) is moving up and down to track the F-22.

The F-22 is big but still very hard to outmanoeuver thanks to its TVC as shown in that impressive video.

As stated at the begining of the video, this footage is not a demonstration of any superiority of the Rafale over the F-22 in close air combat but merely a confirmation that both fighters match each other closely in that particular area. In fact, most engagements reported at the time were draws with 1 gun kill credited to the Raptor. Now we know that the Rafale pilots also managed to get at least 1 fair and square victory, which is pretty cool :) . Also, videos showing the raptor during actual simulated air combats are still very rare, especialy that long. For that reason I think it is certainly a worthy document whatever the outcome is.

Rafale News: Video, Rafale dogfighting F-22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom