What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eurofighter all the way it is the best plane in the world after the f22.

I would prefer:

1. F-18
2. Rafale
3. EF

We need best A2G fighter and F-18 fits the bill perfectly.

I Think we should Go for Mix

126 eurofighter Typhoons

and 74 rafale -> there were news recently that India may opt for additional 74 MMRCA

F18 S/H is the best for A2G given the load it can carry but the EF is the best multi-role plane and that is what this tender is all about. EF is the most agile fighter in the contest as well as having a better thrust compared to the Rafale. The only negative would be the price issue if US strings can pressure India to opt for the f18 instead even if EF is no1 in the field trials.

Hey guys,
No offense, but I think rather than naming your favorite fighter jets the discussion should be:
1) What is lacking in the IAF fleet (apart from decreased squadrons) that India is looking to fulfill through MMRCA?
2) Which among the six contenders in true sense can fulfill this and NOT just jets with loaded with features to compete with F-22/F-35?
3) Which ones are cheaper in terms of life-cycle cost and maintenance?

Thanks a lot!

I don't think so, if it was so then we would have gone for Mirage 2000.
India floated MMRCA because France denied to keep the production line for Mirage open just for India.
So thats a old chapter. Which among the current six contenders (excluding Mirage) now fit our requirements?

Wats your opinion Rafter.

Your Question is excellent

Hey guys,
No offense, but I think rather than naming your favorite fighter jets the discussion should be:
1) What is lacking in the IAF fleet (apart from decreased squadrons) that India is looking to fulfill through MMRCA?
2) Which among the six contenders in true sense can fulfill this and NOT just jets with loaded with features to compete with F-22/F-35?
3) Which ones are cheaper in terms of life-cycle cost and maintenance?

My attempt to answer that. Is.

IAF lacks a fighter in low RCS
Late 4th Generation catagory
With true strike capability BUT also Air Superiority ability
TOT
and to be viable in a Indo China or Indo Pak scenario til 2040 in terms of tech

The Failures

MIG35 does not have good Strike capability is more geared towards Air Combat

F16IN & F18SH both come with TOT issues and in F16IN CASE IS BEING REPLACED globaly by F35 so by 2025 it will be out of date.

For me 3 euro contenders are the best.

Gripen is the cheapest
Rafael the most costly.

WHICH MEANS the one LEFT IS THE TYPHOON.

Typhoon will win MMRCA and it appears the british press are suggesting this to be the case already

WTF is goin on???:confused::what:

NEW DELHI - U.S. President Barack Obama's announcement that Washington will endorse India's bid for a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council could be a game-changer in Indo-American defense and strategic ties, a defense analyst here said.

PRESIDENT OBAMA ADDRESSES India's parliament Nov. 8 in New Delhi. (Jim Watson / Agence France-Presse)
Nitin Mehta said the decision could even swing big-ticket defense projects in favor of U.S. companies, including the $10 billion Medium Multirole Combat Aircraft (MMRCA). Lockheed Martin's F-16 is competing for the contract, as is Boeing's F-18 aircraft, Mehta said.

RELATED TOPICS
Americas
Asia & Pacific Rim
Air Warfare
Obama announced the U.S. support for India's council bid during an address to the parliament here Nov. 8.

"In the years ahead, I look forward to a reformed U.N. Security Council that includes India as a permanent member," Obama told the parliament.

The MMRCA award ultimately will be a political decision, an Indian Air Force official said, agreeing that Obama's announcement to the parliament has the power to swing the MMRCA in favor of an American company.

Meanwhile, India and the U.S. signed six agreements and four memorandums of understanding (MoU) on Nov. 8. These included a MoU for cooperation in setting up a Global Center for Nuclear Energy Partnership.

Under this agreement, India and the U.S. have said they would promote cooperation on initiatives to strengthen global nuclear security and address threats of nuclear terrorism.

@Storm Force:-
I am backing you up man.I am for EF.

but i will not be sad even if Rafale wins.French birds are damn good.

I think IAF definitely needs jets with low RCS (F16IN, Rafale, Eurofighter are the ones with low RCS).
All six contenders are more or less 4+ generation or at least have upgrades planned to reach there.
Like most I don't prefer F16IN (reasons already mentioned by many in the forum) and F/A-18 super hornet is good in A to G role but not so good in A to A. In addition, its not exactly a multirole jet. In case of war (which more likely could be against PAK than China), the US will play a mediator role. Being friendly with both Pak and India it can control the weapons supply, radar info, supply of spares etc...

MIG-35 (almost same as MIG-29K which we already have). The new MIG has the AESA radar but offers nothing new from Mig-29 and more over its for air superiority.

Gripen is good jet but has single engine and many US parts (including the engine) and does not offer us any political gains. That leaves us with Rafale and Eurofighter....

Eurofighter is good (if you believe the reports from UK papers) but is still not completely developed. It does not have a fully functional AESA radar and has limited A to G role. Plus it is not yet carrier capable for the navy. I'm not sure who will pay for all the developments. If selected India will be the 5th unofficial partner. So if any developments or changes India wants to make, permission has to be taken from 4 other partners?

Rafale in my opinion is equally good. It is good in A to A and A to G role, has a working AESA (even though not as advanced as F16IN and Super hornet). It also has a operational navy version. But for some reasons has not been able to make a single international sale (although its reported to be closing on Brazil deal). It is costly compared to eurofighter. This makes the spares and life-time costs high. Also, it needs up-grades (not sure who will pay for this).
Even though all I stated is my opinion through various articles and websites i've read. I seriously invite experts in IAF and around the world reading this to contribute their views and suggestions.

Last edited:
AESA radars for the land of elephants, courtesy @NorthropGrumman's new print ad​

193398171.jpg

:coffee: "whatever".​

too much noise has been made about AESA by west to sell their product to third world cash rich countries ....i read somewhere even china has developed its own AESA...so what is special in it? can anyone prove if ur fighter doesnt ve an AESA it cant kill other enemy fighter having AESA installed? all is bs...F-16 is big BS, may be good for countries that fight agianst internal terroism but not for the counties with global aspirations and giant communist enemy....India need Rafale/F35 if at all MRCA has to go through...and more and more MKI and PakFA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom