What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
no you misunderstood me:frown: i was just trying to say that the swedes are more flexible in terms of tech transfer and they have made a fine offer but then i am not mature enough to comment on wat suits the iaf best ,lets leave it to the higher officials of the iaf:D

No i have not misunderstood you, sorry if u thought like that. The point is which plane is most beneficial to india in terms of capability and the ToT offered. The best combination will go through.

u are right ,i agree:agree: that the best balance between tech transfer,industrial cooperation and platform capability and modernity will be the key:coffee:

u are right ,i agree:agree: that the best balance between tech transfer,industrial cooperation and platform capability and modernity will be the key:coffee:

Add to that the geopolitical benefits :D

Gripen NG is a fantastic machine. It can not only supercruise, but it does so with an operationally significant payload.

all machines in mrca are fantastic machines but the question is which one suits the iaf better and why but i am afraid there is no answer to these questions:frown:

Guys found an interesting article about Super bug

Hornets Hurting

Its because as mentioned by your article that the plane was extensively landed over the AC with its payload because all of the payload was not used over Iraq. First in Indian case scenario the jets if India chooses for them will be with the IAF and not IN, so one can expect very few landings over the AC just when there are no runways or for e.g enemy is able to completely neutralize the Indian runways, but not other wise. So IMO i don't think this issue is something to be of problem to Indian air force.

Gripen NG is a fantastic machine. It can not only supercruise, but it does so with an operationally significant payload.

Isn't Gripen a light weight fighter? I mean that while one was arguing over the F-18 to fall into the H-MRCA category along with the MKI, Gripen on the other hand fall into the light weight category and besides have many US parts involved in it. Will it be a feasible choice?:undecided:

Isn't Gripen a light weight fighter? I mean that while one was arguing over the F-18 to fall into the H-MRCA category along with the MKI, Gripen on the other hand fall into the light weight category and besides have many US parts involved in it. Will it be a feasible choice?:undecided:

Can't agree with you more, need to seriously think bedore choosing the planes which have substantial US inputs.

Yep. But i clarified with them at Aero India '07. What if the US sanctions India, how will you provide equipment then. They said the US sanctions India, but Sweden would still be in contract, they would have to take equipment off their own inventory or whatever, but they have to abide by the contract.

And Gripen NG is not a light fighter mate. Its a medium weight fighter. Its bigger, heavier and much much more advanced than the Gripen C/D that exists now.

aircrafts on ac tend to wear easily because of high humidity and other harsh conditions the oceans offer.........

Guys the fun is about to begin:

‘Flight evaluation by Jan’ - Newindpress.com

‘Flight evaluation by Jan’
Friday August 15 2008 05:55 IST
Express News Service

BANGALORE: Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal F H Major, on Thursday, said that the flight evaluation of the 126 medium multi-role combat (MMRC) aircraft, which the Indian Air Force (IAF) plans to acquire , would be conducted next year.

"The technical evaluation of the aircraft is going on and we are hopeful of progressing to the flight evaluation stage by January," Major told reporters, after receiving the first HAL-built Hawk Mk 132 aircraft. The IAF has received bids from the Eurofighter Typhoon, the Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, and the Lockheed Martin F-16, three other aircraft __ the Swedish Gripen, the French Rafale and the Russian MiG-35 __ for the 126 MMRC’s.

A request for the proposal was floated last year by the IAF and after the aircraft is put through field trials, the winner would be decided.

Refusing to comment on the front-runner to win the bid stating that all were formidable aircraft, he said that the off-set clause of the new Defence Procurement Policy was an ideal opportunity for aerospace companies to cash on.

On the IAFs Aerospace Space Command, he said that it was in the process of evolving and a space cell has already been set up at the Air Headquarters in New Delhi under an Air Vice Marshal.

"What we are looking for is to use space-enabled facilities, where we can have sensors and communication systems in the space so we can have our eyes and ears there," he said.

Excellent coordination

The Air Chief Marshal said that the IAF and the Indian Army maintained an excellent coordination in Jammu and Kashmir and termed the recent exchange of fire by Pakistani troops as a cause of concern. "Any kind of skirmish situation on the Line of Control or the International Border is a cause of concern," he said.

HAL’S FIRST HAWK HANDED OVER TO IAF

THE first Hindustan Aeronautics Limited-built Hawk Mk 132 was delivered to the Indian Air Force (IAF) on Thursday.

The Hawk Mk 132 aircraft, an advanced trainer, is expected to improve the quality of training rookie pilots of the IAF, who till date had to undergo a direct transition from trainer aircraft like Kiran to frontline fighters like the MiG-21. Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshall FH Major who received the first aircraft, said that the Hawk will help pilots shift from transonic to supersonic aircraft.

The Hawk aircraft which will be based at the Bidar Air Base, where 20 cadets of the IAF will undergo the Hawk training course, is expected to improve the training tremendously, he said.

To meet the requirements of the IAF, 66 Hawks have been acquired, of which 24 would be supplied by British aerospace major BAE Systems in flyaway condition and the remaining 42 would be built at HAL Aircraft division, Bangalore, under licence production.

HAL Chairman Ashok Baweja said that the remaining aircraft which are being built by HAL are in an advanced stage of completion and the Phase-II/III production is progressing as per the project plan.

"The 42 aircraft which is part of Phase-II will be delivered by 2011, followed by 57 of the phase- III will be delivered in the next 6 years. In total 100 aircraft will be delivered to the IAF," he said.

Last edited:
Opinion: Gripen hard to beat in Indian MMRCA contest

Author: idrw team | 5 August 2008 | Views: 272

BY : JANES

While there is no shortage of fighter aircraft procurement programmes currently under way, the most eagerly anticipated contest is undoubtedly India's medium multirole combat aircraft (MMRCA) requirement for at least 126 aircraft.

The six contenders have now submitted their proposals: Boeing's F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, Dassault's Rafale, Eurofighter's Typhoon, Lockheed Martin's F-16, Russian Aircraft Corporation's (RAC's) MiG with the MiG-35 and the Saab JAS 39 Gripen. Arguably each aircraft stands a fighting chance of securing the lucrative USD10 billion contract.

India continues to have a close relationship with Dassault, which supplied the Indian Air Force (IAF) with Mirage 2000 fighters in the 1980s. However, given the IAF's emphasis on future upgrades for its MMRCA aircraft, the lack of operators of the Rafale is likely to be seen as a significant issue.

The Rafale and the Typhoon could also struggle with the issue of cost. Both are relatively large twin-engined platforms, which will significantly increase operating costs compared with the single-engined MiG-21 fleet it will replace.

The MiG-35 is seen by many as a strong contender. India has a very close relationship with Russia, which has provided the majority of its equipment over the past 30 years. However, over the past year India's relationship with Russia with regards to arms contracts has soured.

The two US contenders seem well placed in terms of price and capability as India seeks to establish closer military bonds with Washington. However the F-16 is hindered by the fact that Pakistan already operates the type. Furthermore the aircraft is already being phased out by the US Air Force.

The Boeing Super Hornet does not suffer from these issues. However, one unresolved issue with regards to both US platforms is the authorisation of technology transfer.

Saab holds a strong hand with the Gripen. The aircraft is single engined, which will keep operating costs low, upgrades are already being defined under the Gripen Demonstrator programme and acquisition costs are highly competitive.

it seems the lead axis is tilting towards gripen

everybody is entitled to have an opinion, any way let the evaluation begin and then only some real opinion can be formed till that time all is speculation only.

yes the future is very unpredictable, but its the nature of the human mind to forsee it.......but i totally agree with your fact nitesh this will go on till the results.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom