What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions [Thread 2]

The protrusion should have a dual purpose. Why place it exactly there, in front of the canard? And I cant see otherwise why J20 has a such complex air intake shape.
By the way, Typhoon has FADEC too (Full Authority Digital Engine Control). By logic, there is no conflict between FADEC and a FBW that adjust canards by software.

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to mention a thing. Please see the picture below

YZySAGL.jpg

The early version of J-10 doesn't have a protrusion in front of the canards but they still have their passive EW antenna in the point indicated by the red arrow.
In recent versions of J-10, this antenna has been moved in front of canards. So, why exactly there?
It's not for aerodynamic reason (actually it disturbs the airflow over the canards IMHO) but for gaining a little bit of stealth.

The protrusion should have a dual purpose. Why place it exactly there, in front of the canard? And I cant see otherwise why J20 has a such complex air intake shape.
By the way, Typhoon has FADEC too (Full Authority Digital Engine Control). By logic, there is no conflict between FADEC and a FBW that adjust canards by software.

All speculation, pure and simple. It is more likely to be an aerodynamic feature, along with the fact that it gives a prominent location for sensors to be fit, without the issue of airframe masking.

And NO, FCS doesn't adjust canards for RCS. That's pure BS. FCS only cares about one thing- optimizing the use of surfaces to allow the best possible aerodynamics while ensuring that the airplane doesn't depart controlled flight or exceed airframe stresses.

All speculation, pure and simple. It is more likely to be an aerodynamic feature, along with the fact that it gives a prominent location for sensors to be fit, without the issue of airframe masking.
Sometimes, when searching info about chinese stuff, chinese websites are better than american ones.
Baidu better than Google
Baike better than Wikipedia
Zhihu better than Yahoo answer
ect...

Here is what I found on Zhihu (The chinese Yahoo answer):
https://www.zhihu.com/question/329645523
KvVuX7F.jpg

The purple-box guy asked :
歼-10鸭翼前面的小凸起是什么?
Whats the protrusion in front of the J-10 canards?

The orange-box guy answered :
是电子战系统的被动天线鼓包。这个系统在歼-10A和S上位于座舱侧下方,而在歼-10B上,可能是考虑到了遮蔽鸭翼RCS,与阵风的设计类似。
Is the passive antenna of the electronic warfare suite, on J-10A and J-10S this system is placed under the cabin and in lateral position, on J-10B and higher, probably for covering the canards RCS, they adopted a similar design to Rafale(阵风).

Usually the people who answer questions on Zhihu are competent.

If you doubt my translation, feel free to check it with Google Translate(use CHN to ENG), it's never perfect but it gives a general idea of whats written.

And NO, FCS doesn't adjust canards for RCS. That's pure BS. FCS only cares about one thing- optimizing the use of surfaces to allow the best possible aerodynamics while ensuring that the airplane doesn't depart controlled flight or exceed airframe stresses.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurofighter_Typhoon
While canards generally have poor stealth characteristics from side because of corner to hull,[81] the flight control system is designed to maintain the elevon trim and canards at an angle at which they have the smallest RCS.[82]

Last edited:
It never progressed beyond prototype stage because of poor design and capability .

First of all that's irrelevant, the point was it retained good stealth with canards despite being a prototype. Secondly your statement is untrue because nowhere were your reasons stated in the reports and nobody would ever logically come to this conclusion after reading the reports at the end stage of the prototype, factually speaking every project criteria was officially met capability-wise especially in terms of stealth and it's intentional unconventional design (the lack of tail is compensated by the aileron and canard mechanisms) complimented it's excellent maneuverability (especially at 35° AOA), lower drag, and stability so you're blatantly wrong on that one or you simply made that up. One potential reason given is that it was discontinued due to being potentially too expensive in the future.

Wrong again, canards of all characteristics will cause a spike in frontal RCS relative to a configuration without canards
Capture-2020-07-31-12-07-23.png

He never denied that nor does it take much head scratching to understand how it works, if built for stealth it will be stealthier than other canards thus adding less to the RCS, simply compare the Rafale (despite having canards) to some Falcons and Mirages

Last edited:
Here below is a 6th gen fighter concept from Boeing. As you can see it has canards.
If a canard plane can't be stealthy, Boeing would not even propose it.
If a canard plane can't be stealthy, Chengdu would have gone with a standard configuration instead. If they opted for canards it's because they've tested it.
AEx6UFf.jpg

Indian AF claimed that J-20 could be detected by Su-30 MKI.
It could be true, J-20 is not an all-aspect stealth plane like F-22. Its stealth is mostly frontal side focused for Air to Air combat. If a J-20 is returning to base, its non-stealthy engine nozzles will be pointed towards enemy radar, and that will make it easily detectable. But in a real combat scenario, there won't be any Su-30MKI left alive when J-20 returns to base.
You are wasting your time
Logic doesnt work here

Last news rumored in France : Greece to acquire French brand new frigates and second hand Rafale in september....

Last news rumored in France : Greece to acquire French brand new frigates and second hand Rafale in september....

Second hand Rafales? from France? I didn't know that France was looking to sell Rafales.

Second hand Rafales? from France? I didn't know that France was looking to sell Rafales.
Maybe as few as 6 - 8 units.
It is a move to help Greece in a hurry, and pave the way for a more consistant purchase of new ones.

Greece to Buy 10 Rafale Jets, Receive 8 More as ‘Donation’ from France

« The eight planes that will be given as a “gift” are used jets from French Air Force inventory. These are the ones that attacked the Al Watiya air base in Libya a couple of months ago causing damage to Turkish air defence systems, the publication reported. »

8-)

While I am hopeful that Greece goes ahead and orders Rafales with Meteors, I don't believe the contract has been signed as yet.

Day after tomorrow is the induction ceremony for the Rafale with the No.17 'Golden Arrows' squadron. French Defence Minister is expected to arrive for it as well. Hopefully there'll be talks on additional Rafale acquisitions.

Back
Top Bottom