What's new

Dairy farming in pakistan

APRIL, 2018

I was doing the farmer’s market in Lahore up until last year.

sfw.zUntitled-1.jpg

Since now the business has improved 1000 fold, I and my team are too busy to meet the demand. We are working around the clock and it’s increasing day by day, leaving no time for having stalls in farmer’s markets.

To me, farmer’s markets (FM) are wonderful platforms, especially for selling and introducing cheese. Here you are face to face with end users and you get realistic feedback right away due to offering free tastes. Since its a limited market, you get the right audience and their feedback helps you improve if you are a passionate cheese maker.

I not only used to sell small portions, but we were making goody bags including various cheeses in small portions so that people could taste many of them at home and decide which ones suited their taste pallets.

MAY, 2018

I was busy, busy and very busy in upgrading our facility which is now a proper bulk manufacturing unit. We have chillers and cold storage, a completely computerized system, an office (however we are shifting the office into a business area soon), an accounting office, a general manager, a supervisor and everything which a small industry requires. So, from the kitchen to an industry is a journey accomplished.

sfw.94.jpg

sfw.95.jpg

Finally, we are successful in negotiations with a famous chain of food marts and soon our cheese will be selling at 9 different locations – pre-packed as well as live cutting and selling. It was a big mission to accomplish this and finally we are on the way to spread our skills in the country.

AUGUST, 2018

Today my company is selling cheese at many super stores with live stations where we offer it for customers to taste and purchase. A large variety of artisan cheeses are sold over the counter. This is turning into a trend and many other stores are contacting us for such displays. Eventually, we will take it to all the major cities, turning FCM into a brand.

sfw.92.jpg

All this is not so easy. Despite large man power including cheese makers, packing guys, managers and general manager, we still have to work 10-12 hrs daily. But, my team which was trained by me are dedicated and hard workers and we come out ahead of problems.

There are other artisan cheese makers too, in Pakistan now, including a few trained by me. I feel happy to have given Pakistan other artisan cheese makers.

Today we are turning into a brand and I enjoy cheese making more then ever. We are not only spreading fast but I believe soon we shall be exporting our products to other countries. In another few years, I plan to make a model dairy farm with the cheese facility on the site, producing cheese at international standards.

Goals are big, targets are high, the journey is tough, but hopes are high, too. I feel wonderful when people I don’t even know, meet me and show their love and respect. I feel so humbled.

sfw.a1a1a1.jpg

We asked for more information about the display cases:

At all the stores we have a live station to taste and to purchase.

There we keep all types of fresh and mature cheeses, from small sizes – 7 ounces (200 g) to 1 1/2 pound (2/3 kg) blocks.

I give the display chillers to the stores. The stores provide vertical coolers where the cheese is stored.

Tastings are from 9am to 12pm and there are 2 employees for 2 shifts. The people behind the counter are hired by my own company.

sfw.a11111.jpg

Our supervisor visits all the stores in our delivery van almost every day. He carries stock in styrofoam boxes and he replaces and collects the products that are close to expiring. Usually fresh cheeses tend to expire in a week , but luckily we have very few cheeses come back to the factory. For inventory, we use both software and paper work.

We are in contract with these stores to be the only artisan cheese company in their chains.

In the beginning, it was difficult since everything was new to us, but we managed to build a system which is running smoothly now. We have display stations at 3 stores and now we are ready to add 2 more. The plan is to start with at least 20 stores in Lahore and another 30 in different cities in Pakistan.

sfw.ssss_.jpg

Now, also, we are starting contracts with restaurants which purchase bulk from us. Having a cold store has helped me to maintain a big stock of almost 2 tons only for mature cheeses. This is now helping me to open new counters at more stations without much pressure.

Fresh cheeses are produced on a daily basis.

sfw.111.jpg

To reach this far, one needs to walk extra miles, but I never underestimate competition, though I believe everyone gets rewarded proportional to the efforts made. I wish my competitors good luck since they are also adding value to the art of artisan cheese making in Pakistan and now people have choice and availability of a large variety of non-processed cheese which was not known few years back .

NOVEMBER, 2018

Life is very busy and time flies. It has been around 8 continuous years of making cheese on a daily basis. “Farmers Cheese Making “ is now a brand in at least 2 major cities. We are selling cheese at counters and in shelves in many (10) branded stores with a number of sales girls and sales boys who are specially trained for this purpose. I have a target of 40 such locations in Lahore as well as Karachi and Islamabad. I hope to get it done within 2019.

sfw.xx_.jpg

Our field staff is trained for offering tasting sessions and promotions. Non-processed, artisan cheeses are making their way to the general public and we are now considered a trusted company. We have developed an IT office to handle day to day operations and everything is now computerized.

Being on shelves in the retail business is a tough job. We did face some serious issues at the early stages but now we are trained to handle multiple food tastings at various locations and even in different cities. I am grateful to the dedicated team and friends who made this happen. I truly love them. We often work 10 to 12 hrs and sometimes without taking a day off. But, we all enjoy the success which comes after collective efforts and struggle.

sfw.new_.jpg

I wish you were here and could see us busy like bees. We have trained ourselves to work in pressure situations. I saw this dream, and it started becoming a truth within a decade. More equipment is being fixed to increase production, and the factory is being extended to another floor. I still read the Moos-letter and enjoy to see how cheese is being loved everywhere. When it comes to cheese, the world is a global village.

BTW, the Keto diet (short for ketogenic) is quite “in” here these days. It is a low sugar, low carb diet with lots of fats. This helps to reduce weight significantly and quickly. No sugar, no flour, no ice creams or cold drinks, no milk, no fruits, nothing which helps produce insulin in your body. After some time, the body shifts it’s energy source from insulin to fats. This diet discourages processed food and non-processed cheese is encouraged. Since we produce non-processed cheese, its 100% liked by people on the Keto diet. All we do is to take small pieces of cottage cheese, bocconcini and paneer, put them in a box and place some green and black olives on top. The Keto box is ready. If we mix in zucchini and tomatoes, the keto salad is ready.

JANUARY, 2019

Today, January 16th is my birthday. To my surprise, I received a parcel at my cheese facility address which was sent from the USA, and it turned out to be a Home Cheese Making book by Ricki Carroll with a forward by Ari Weinzweig (tough to pronounce) right in front of my eyes. Going through, still surprised, I came across my own story. What a coincidence. It made my day! These were unbelievable moments for me. I had almost forgotten the interview given and there was that great book delivered right on my birthday.

sfw.book_.jpg

Page 94 in our latest edition of Home Cheese Making

You all are such an amazing team, remembering an ordinary person living at the other end of the world. I’m so blessed to have known you in this life.

MARCH, 2019

Some developments to share. The new government of Pakistan is keen in promoting local cheese making and to that end, our ministry of live stock conducted a seminar in which I was invited to represent my company. The government is looking for a road map to help cheese making.

sem.jpg

An Italian professor, Dr. Antonio Borgees was invited to head this seminar which was about cheese and buffalo milk production in Pakistan. Later, Dr. Antonio visited my cheese facility and was impressed by the variety of cheeses produced and the SOPs we follow.

sfw.1.jpg

sfw.2.jpg

sfw.3.jpg

It was a great moment, looking 10 years back when I started cheese making from home and today we are a brand. Some proud moments are enough to feel fresh in life. I am preparing a nice and comfortable office which is at a little distance from the factory. Accounts, IT and HR will be shifted there. Currently, I am working with around 396 – 475 gallons (1500 to 1800 liters) of milk per day which is intended to double in the next 6 months.

Also, I am trying to assist the food authority to maintain standards for artisan cheeses since it’s a new subject with them. I also have an invitation to visit Italy in May and learn from Italian cheese makers. I believe one day Pakistan will be among the top cheese making and exporting countries since we rank 3 in milk production.

Farmers Cheese Making

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/farmerscheesemaking/

Hours of Operation – Mon-Sun: 9 – 9pm

Cheese may not have a huge market in Pakistan but Arabs, Turkish and European love cheese. How much cheese are we exporting?

Cheese may not have a huge market in Pakistan but Arabs, Turkish and European love cheese. How much cheese are we exporting?
Pakistan should also develop the culture of eating cheese and olives in breakfast ofcourse every country on earth can produce both things very easily and would be very healthy breakfast . In Turkey people usually have olives and cheese in breakfasts.

How to Start Dairy Farming in Pakistan

How-to-Start-Dairy-Farming-in-Pakistan.jpg

This article is about setting up a dairy farm in which cows and buffaloes are kept primarily for milk production in conventional housing system. The animals are fed green fodder and roughage at 8-10% of live body weight in addition to nutritionally balanced formulated feed and bred by Artificial Insemination method to gain optimum milk yields in lactation cycle of average 300 days. Dairy farming involves housing, breeding, feeding, watering, disease control and hygienic production of milk on farm.

The proposed dairy farm would be established on leased land with purpose built shed constructed on conventional housing system. The farm would start the operations with 12 animals (10 cows and 2 buffaloes having daily per animal milk production of 13 and 8 liters respectively) to achieve milk production of 34,560 liters by the end of first year, excluding the milk consumed by suckling calves. The breeding of animals would be planned through ‘Artificial Insemination’ method. Female calves would be given special attention and raised as heifers and male calves would be sold for fattening purpose. The milk will be primarily sold to bulk buyers at the rate of average Rs.60 per liter. The farm will also offer milk sale to domestic individual consumers.

Following are some key points before getting into the dairy farming business:

• Background knowledge and related experience of the entrepreneur in dairy farm operations.
  • Application of good husbandry practices such as timely feeding, watering and vaccination to ensure animal’s health and disease-free environment.
  • Awareness about the supply and demand of milk in the market as demand of milk is relatively higher in summer as compared to winter season.
  • Efficient marketing of the project and bulk supply to wholesalers.
In the proposed study, initially twelve (12) animals, preferably 80% cows and 20% buffaloes, are recommended to obtain optimum milk production in the first year of project. It is assumed that on average, 70-80% animals would be in lactation on farm. The female heifers born at farm would be added in milking herd; hence the number of animals would be 50 at 10th year of project. The male calves would be sold for meat. Although, buffalo milk has higher fat content (9 10%) as compared to cow’s milk (3-6%) but total milk production of cows in average lactation period of 300 days is higher as compared to buffaloes. The dairy farm will have the capacity to sale 34,560 liters of milk, primarily directly to consumers and then milk contractors and processors in its first year of operation.

Dairy farming is a viable business proposition for both rural and peri-urban areas of Pakistan. There is almost equal demand for milk in rural and peri urban areas around the major cities such as Lahore, Faisalabad, Jhang, Sahiwal, Pakpattan, Jehlum, Peshawar, Charsadda, D.I. Khan, Quetta, Zhob, Lasbela, Karachi, Hyderabad, Sakkar etc. across the country; hence, from the demand point of view, the said project offers good investment opportunities for small scale investment in all provinces of country.

Apart from Lahore, Sialkot, kasur, Gujranwala, Bahawalpur, Okara, Dadu, Lasbela, D. I. Khan etc., dairy farming in rural and peri-urban locations around all major cities are the primary markets for dairy farming. The target clients for a dairy farm business include; domestic consumers, milk contractors and suppliers, milk collection and processing companies and dairy products manufacturing companies.

Producing High Quantity Milk at Dairy Farms in Pakistan

The milk production process of dairy farms in Pakistan starts with the selection of the right animal goes as follow:

Selection of good dairy buffalo breeds: namely, Nili-Ravi and Kundi and cattle breeds such as Sahiwal, Red Sindhi and Cholistani. Crossbred cows (cross of local non-descript cows with semen of exotic breeds e.g. Holstein, Friesian and Jersey) may also be considered.

Selection of animals with excellent body condition and udder health: average daily milk production of 8 liters or above for buffaloes and 12 liters or above for cows in 2nd or 3rd lactation, essentially with no disease history.

Housing: Good housing leads to good management practices and ultimately optimum production. Generally, housing should is:

• Less expensive
  • Well ventilated, comfortable and dry with hygienic environment
  • Equipped with easy drainage system and mechanism for removal of dung urine and waste material
  • Protected from extreme environmental conditions
  • Having maximum sun exposure: axis of length to be east to west
  • Available with feed and water for 24 hours
  • Planned so that future expansion may be possible when required
Feeding: Milking animal should be fed 1 kg of concentrate feed per 3 liters of milk produced; hence animal with 10 liters of milk production would be offered 3-3.5 kg of concentrate. Green fodder should be supplied @ 8-10% of body weight to the animals. Additionally, urea molasses blocks and salt blocks can help in better milk production. New born calves should be fed colostrum and milk @ 8-10% of body weight for first month of age. After that, green fodder should be added to its feeding plan

Watering: Supply of clean drinking water in clean troughs i.e. 50 to 80 liters of water consumption/adult animal/day round the clock maintains the milk production capacity of the animal.

Breeding: Efficient and timely Artificial Insemination (AI) of good genetic worth is a key to success in good breeding programs of herd. The detection of heat in buffaloes should be given special attention as they do not show signs of heat (silent heat).

Calving: Pregnant animals should be given special attention in third trimester of pregnancy and should be separated in pregnancy pens, if possible. Veterinary assistance should be sought out in case of emergency. Calf care and heifer management is very important in maintaining dairy farm production.

Udder health: Hygienic and clean milking twice a day (morning/ evening) lowers the chances of mastitis as udder health and hygiene is most important in dairy animals.

Storage: Proper storage of milk should be done preferably at temperature of 4 c.

Disease management: De-worming for endoparasitic infestations is necessary in calves born at farm. Timely vaccination against infectious diseases should be done as a prophylactic measure. At a well managed farm, mortality should not exceed 2-3% per year. The sick animals should be separated from rest of the animals and kept in quarantine.

Record keeping: The animals should be ear-tagged having information of animal such as breed, age, date of birth / purchase, number of lactation, vaccination etc. The records for daily milk yields, weight, Artificial Insemination (AI), calving, vaccination and medication etc. are also important.

Culling: Good productive animals should be selected and uneconomical animals should be culled.

Care: Regular technical assistance from the livestock professionals and experts.

Investment Required for Starting a Dairy Farm in Pakistan

A dairy farm with 12 animals (80% cows and 20% buffaloes) in Pakistan needs a total investment estimated at Rs. 2.19 million out of which the capital cost of the project is Rs.2.01 million with working capital of Rs. 0.17 million. Details of financials can be studied in the business plan for dairy farming in Pakistan by SMEDA.

In case dairy farm is not able to attain its target milk production or implement effective husbandry practices, it will not be able to cover the potential market and recover payments; hence, cost of operating the business will increase.

Dairy Farming Guide in Urdu
Download the SMEDA prepared dairy farming in Pakistan Guide in Urdu.

Back
Top Bottom