What's new

Dairy farming in pakistan

What happened to their farms?
to be very simple, everything is so expensive that they can't afford anything, especially the fertilizers and then there are water issues, people use tube wells but fuel is too expensive. Some people borrow money and grow crops but government gives minimum rates when buying from them, so its useless for them because at the end of the year they are getting nothing for their hard work, not even enough to feed their families.

The main problem is lack of education to be honest, they grow same old useless crops that don't return anything, government needs to educate them and tell them what they should grow for profits, some people have like 30+ acres of land and are still poor because they don't really know what to do with that. People use that valuable land to grow feed for their animals so at least they can sell milk if nothing else.

Joint family system is still strong in our rural areas, so pretty much all families have more than 25 acres of land, and in my opinion any person with that much land should not be poor, and that can change in just few months if the government is willing to help. Imran Khan's poverty alleviation program is pretty useless because its not focused on the backbone of our economy (agriculture). Villagers are moving to cities because of jobs, that was not the case 2 decades back when there was enough work for everyone in the fields.

In the end it all depends on the government, like my dad tells me when Zia Ul Haq came into power he suddenly turned around the lives of farmers...so if it was done in the past, it can be done again if there is will.

So why is Pakistan unable to make cheese? For fu$ks sake, importing cheese sounds a better idea then making your own?

Lack of innovation, nothing to do with anyone else.
why not? you think illiterate people are going to innovate? government is supposed to tell them what they should grow...Imran Khan's murghi plan is not going to change anything, its just waste of money just like shabaz sharifs laptop scheme.

to be very simple, everything is so expensive that they can't afford anything, especially the fertilizers and then there are water issues, people use tube wells but fuel is too expensive. Some people borrow money and grow crops but government gives minimum rates when buying from them, so its useless for them because at the end of the year they are getting nothing for their hard work, not even enough to feed their families.

The main problem is lack of education to be honest, they grow same old useless crops that don't return anything, government needs to educate them and tell them what they should grow for profits, some people have like 30+ acres of land and are still poor because they don't really know what to do with that. People use that valuable land to grow feed for their animals so at least they can sell milk if nothing else.

Joint family system is still strong in our rural areas, so pretty much all families have more than 25 acres of land, and in my opinion any person with that much land should not be poor, and that can change in just few months if the government is willing to help. Imran Khan's poverty alleviation program is pretty useless because its not focused on the backbone of our economy (agriculture). Villagers are moving to cities because of jobs, that was not the case 2 decades back when there was enough work for everyone in the fields.

In the end it all depends on the government, like my dad tells me when Zia Ul Haq came into power he suddenly turned around the lives of farmers...so if it was done in the past, it can be done again if there is will.

why not? you think illiterate people are going to innovate? government is supposed to tell them what they should grow...Imran Khan's murghi plan is not going to change anything, its just waste of money just like shabaz sharifs laptop scheme.
Who voted for the government for the past 80 years? Who had enough power to overthrow the government if it wasnt satisfactory? THE PEOPLE
So plz stop playing the blame game, all what the people are suffering is because of them selves, start looking inside for the issues occurring. Wake the fu$k up

You can get lot of farm videos of youtube but i was talking about desi chicken in free range PARC also worked on it anyone can get good breeds of it but broiler is still rules the market easy to setup 5000-15000 shed with proper management lots of potential also some govt institutes offer courses.IN punjab i think they also give subsidy for control shed(not sure ) its big game 25000-30000 minimum but most of system are easily designable called it control shed less mortality ration,less days to feed the chicken (37 ) also chk the pic.On the other hand dairy is less investment earning from day one
View attachment 551741
thanks man, i also watched few videos on YT, my dad wanted to build a controlled shed farm in Pakistan so that is why i am in interested in this.

I will discuss in detail tomorrow one easy solution someone educated business type who also value social responsibility in business starts an company giving the info,technical help,latest technique (from drip to khaal pakkay karwana to solar ,lesser land leveler and many more ),less or interest free loans(need govt help in it too ) machinery join hands and they start sharing profit after the crop.Until no such big disaster happened mostly u get good returns its really an long topic will share point wise if others give their valuable input too and someone interested for doing it @Pakhtoon yum its getting market esp good return for directly to dairy farmers some technical issues will discuss tomorrow

Who voted for the government for the past 80 years? Who had enough power to overthrow the government if it wasnt satisfactory? THE PEOPLE
So plz stop playing the blame game, all what the people are suffering is because of them selves, start looking inside for the issues occurring. Wake the fu$k up
brother, you can't blame people if MAFIAS takeover the country, i personally blame our establishment and judicial system for supporting these crooks for so long...you really think illiterate people knew the value of the vote?
on the other hand people voted for change this time,PTI got the most votes from my village in previous election.

brother, you can't blame people if MAFIAS takeover the country, i personally blame our establishment and judicial system for supporting these crooks for so long...you really think illiterate people knew the value of the vote?
on the other hand people voted for change this time,PTI got the most votes from my village in previous election.
Crime only rises if people let it, it all comes back to the common folks. These people would be questioned on the day of justice, to why they let the scum eat their country like termites.
Try telling almighty, that u were ignorant. He gave a brain, eyes and countless other senses to use. To educate yourself, to inform people, to think

Crime only rises if people let it, it all comes back to the common folks. These people would be questioned on the day of justice, to why they let the scum eat their country like termites.
Try telling almighty, that u were ignorant. He gave a brain, eyes and countless other senses to use. To educate yourself, to inform people, to think
i agree bro, but i don't know what you expect from folks who don't even know their own birthday?...and there were always 2 options, PPP or PML N what other choice did we Pakistanis have?
still i won't blame my hardworking villagers man, because i have seen with my own eyes 80+ years old people working in the fields/farms and governments always let them down.

i agree bro, but i don't know what you expect from folks who don't even know their own birthday?...and there were always 2 options, PPP or PML N what other choice did we Pakistanis have?
still i won't blame my hardworking villagers man, because i have seen with my own eyes 80+ years old people working in the fields/farms and governments always let them down.
Working till death is on their shoulders, but looking back what did they accomplish? What have you accomplished or have contributed to the nation? Before you put the figure on me, I have probably done more then the ambassador of Pakistan in Canada has. Doing presentations to every school I go, spreading awareness about the Pakistani culture and way of life to whomever I meet. It all depends on the people, by not doing anything they are doing harm.
Regarding the 2 party thing, they couldve made a 3rd, a 4th, a 5th and so on. Thses are merely excuses and pure laziness. Maybe not a physical one but a mental one.

I rather not derail this thread any further, quote me in the members thread, thanks

Working till death is on their shoulders, but looking back what did they accomplish? What have you accomplished or have contributed to the nation? Before you put the figure on me, I have probably done more then the ambassador of Pakistan in Canada has. Doing presentations to every school I go, spreading awareness about the Pakistani culture and way of life to whomever I meet. It all depends on the people, by not doing anything they are doing harm.
Regarding the 2 party thing, they couldve made a 3rd, a 4th, a 5th and so on. Thses are merely excuses and pure laziness. Maybe not a physical one but a mental one.

I rather not derail this thread any further, quote me in the members thread, thanks
i agree with you on not derailing this thread any further, just the last thing i wanna say is that you are talking about the national politics, 22 crore people and how they always voted for looteras, my topic is not politics, i am just talking about farmers and how their lives are made hard because there is no system to support them.

secondly, i can't measure if i have done more than you or not, but i can assure you that i always try to show positive image of Pakistan and our culture whenever i meet someone, i also convinced few friends to visit Pakistan if they ever get a chance.

Apologies to the OP for taking this thread in the wrong direction.

Nishat Dairy eyes 2020 to launch milk brand

In a well-maintained dairy farm equipped with latest machines just 100 km off to Lahore at Sukheki, Nishat Dairy Private Limited is targeting 2020 to launch its own milk brand that will be game changer in the Pakistan’s dairy industry. For the provision of quality milk brand to consumers in Pakistan, Nishat has been finalising the product portfolio which is in decision making process.

Dairy industry in Pakistan

Despite an increase in milk and meat production, the prices have moved upward abnormally.

The recent increase in meat prices is attributed to the export of live animals or meat to the Middle East and Afghanistan.

There was a time when animals used to be imported or smuggled from Afghanistan into Pakistan but after 9/11 the situation suddenly took a ‘U’ turn. In Afghanistan, the war has seriously affected the LIVESTOCK sector.

Thus Pakistan started exporting instead of importing LIVESTOCK from Afghanistan.

According to official figures during July-August, 2002, animals worth Rs 30 million made their way to Afghanistan. Besides, the smuggling of LIVESTOCK from Pakistan to Afghanistan has also started in a big way to meet their domestic shortage of animals.

The country, though rich in LIVESTOCK, rarely got a chance to export meat or meat products to earn foreign exchange. It was offered an opportunity when various Middle East states stopped importing meat from European countries due to the incidence of the mad cow disease.

Meat export from Lahore started in the beginning of the year 2000 when carcasses of goats and large animals were airlifted.

The meat was processed under a special arrangement between the exporters and the Metropolitan Corporation of Lahore, which runs four abattoirs in the city.

The exports of LIVESTOCK – cow, buffalo, sheep and goat – are finding their way to the Gulf States, Iran and Afghanistan where there is a shortage of good quality meat and, therefore, it commands a high price.

Traditionally, Europe was the biggest exporter of meat and meat by-products and LIVESTOCK and had been a major source of foreign exchange for several European countries.

Technically, meat from South Asia has a superior quality, due to grazing and vegetable concentrates as the main source of LIVESTOCK feed here, against bone and meat meal in Europe.

According to official figures, the export of LIVESTOCK, during 2001-02, registered an abnormal growth of 51 percent to a value of Rs 221 million as compared to 2000-01, when exports of meat stood at Rs 146 million.

The estimated export of these four categories of LIVESTOCK is estimated to be more than Rs 275 million during the fiscal year of 2002-03.

A rising trend in LIVESTOCK export was also sustained during the first two months of current fiscal year as exports of animals worth Rs 43 million were reported to have been achieved.

There is a greater possibility that this trend would go unbridled if the government does not take corrective measures to ensure a steady supply of animals in the domestic market.

As a result of this, the value-added leather industry, including leather garment manufacturers who mostly use raw hides and skins obtained from cows, buffaloes, sheeps and goats are faced with a shortage of raw material.

Therefore, the Pakistan Leather Garments Manufacturers & Exporters Association (PLGMEA) chairman Fawad Ijaz and the Pakistan Tanners Association chairman S.M Naseem has urged the government to immediately impose a ban on export of LIVESTOCK.
Dairy-industry-in-Pakistan3.jpg

If Pakistan wants to continue meat and live animal export, besides meeting domestic demand, modern meat processing plants and LIVESTOCK farms should be set up all over the country.

Here we are giving some details of new to set up a unit to raise 50 animals on commercial basis, for more details Smeda can be contacted.

DAIRY FARM OF 50 ANIMALS PROJECT BRIEF:

Dairy farming is an agro-based activity, buffaloes and cows can be raised for milk production in an organised manner for commercial purpose.

For this project, animals can be purchased from the animal markets or breeders in Sahiwal, Sheikhupura, Faisalabad.

More than 70 percent farmers hold less than 5 acres of land. Dairy farming may prove a profitable business for small landholders.

They can also grow fodder on their land to feed dairy animals, without disturbing the main crop.

Dairy farming is one of the best projects if professionally done on small land holdings. The return of the land used for feeding animals is higher as compared to land used for traditional cropping.

The economical size of the herd is 50 animals, which will grow into 180 animals within a few years. Cows are also proposed in the herd, as they are high yields and efficient converters of feed into milk.

This herd would consist of 75 percent buffaloes and 25 percent cows. A cow, on average, yields 14 litres milk a day over a lactation period of 305 days whereas the buffalo, on an average, yields 10 litres a day over a lactation period of 280 days.

Dairy-industry-in-Pakistan4.jpg

The lactation period is the period during which the animals provide milk. These animals are called wet animals. Generally the lactation days of cows are 305 days and that of buffaloes is 280 days.

For calculation, 77 percent of the total number of cows has been taken as wet cows and 67 percent of the total number of buffaloes as wet buffaloes.

The calving interval in a buffalo is about 18 to 20 months, while a cow has 15 to 16 months.

On an average, cows are productive for 7 to 8 years, while buffaloes are productive for 8 to 9 years. Male calves will be sold at the end of year or can also be reared separately for beef production.

Pakistan is the fifth largest milk producer in the world. Milk production is 28 million tonnes from 125 million heads. Milk is used for drinking, tea, desi ghee, yogurt and butter making.

Milk is also used to make Khoya and different types of sweets. Milk processing companies use milk as a raw material to formulate different types of milk ie pasteurised milk, UHT milk, condensed milk, skimmed milk, milk powder, etc Different value added products like yogurt, ice cream, butter and cheese are also produced from the raw milk.

The daily consumption of milk in Lahore is 2 to 3 million litres and that of Karachi is 4 million litres.The demand for processed milk has increased its share in quality conscious consumers. During the last two decades, processed milk has achieved 4 percent share in the milk market of Lahore, which is growing to about 4.5 percent per annum. Therefore, metropolitan cities are the major markets for the sale of milk.

The capital cost will be budgeted for 4 years; therefore the initial infrastructure cost has been calculated on the basis of a 4th year infrastructure requirement.

The total cost of the project is estimated, by Smeda, to be about Rs 2.94 million, out of which the capital cost of the project is Rs 2.67 million. Total infrastructure cost of 13 thousand sq ft would be about Rs 842,388.

Besides hiring a tractor for fodder sowing, only a few simple farm equipment’s like a fodder chopper, water pumps, milk utensils will be purchased.

With the green fodder, to increase animal productivity, the ration feed will be given, which includes cotton seed cakes, corn gluten, wheat bran, molasses, and choker. About 1 kg of concentrate is required for the production of 3 litres of milk.

There is no fixed fodder requirement for the animals but a rule of thumb says that an animal needs daily fodder equal to 9 to 10 percent of its body weight. According to estimates, buffalo consumes 40-55 kg fodder daily while cow consumes about 30-40 kg. For a high yield the animals would be fed on a high protein diet concentrate.

For this dairy project, manpower requirement is 7 for performing different activities like feeding, milking, etc, which may cost about Rs 240,000.

Animals are prone to some sort of disease, at any stage of their life. Disease like foot and mouth, diarrhea and digestive disorders are very common in animals, which affect the productivity of the LIVESTOCK.

Only proper vaccination can keep the animals healthy. Healthy and high yielding milk animals are the key to the success of a farm.

DAIRY FARMING IN PAKISTAN

You will know why dairy farming is a good business, and what to look out for when you are starting out, because I am going to share some of my experiences (I have been involved directly in dairy farming for the last almost-two years).

dairy-farming-pakistan.jpg

My first hand experience starting a dairy farm here in Pakistan

Dairy Farming is a very hot topic in Pakistan. A lot of seasoned and would-be entrepreneurs have already jumped onto the Dairy Farming bandwagon in Pakistan, and even more so like to talk about getting into dairy farming. But have you asked yourself this question, “why start a dairy farm?”

Why Start A Dairy Farm

Yours truly have been working on the dairy farming project since June 2009. My interest was pretty much ‘academic’ at first; just knowing how the business and the animals operate. It was after almost a year of travelling in and around Punjab, meeting countless number of people in the field, discussing and debating with some very qualified consultants and breeders, that I decided to dip my toes in this project.

I was interested in quite a few facets of Dairy Farming:

1. The Business Model: Dairy farming has a very unique business model, and no other business has the capability of multiplying its assets while still producing revenue. Remarkable.
  2. The Current Situation: One of many lessons that Richard Branson has taught me is that you should get into a business where you think you can do better. Dairy farming, I knew, had a very, very large room for improvement.
  3. A Very Solid Demand: A lot of businesses and entrepreneurs would consider a ‘demand’ for something a good enough reason to get into any project. But for me, dairy farming is not only the demand of the market, but also a need. People need healthy, quality milk (and meat). It fits in with the idea of for-profit philanthropy where I stand a chance of actually helping people out, and earning prayers as well as profits. Now that’s an inspiration!
  4. Super Integration: This was not vertical integration as much as it was super integration. I already have two independent projects, one agriculture farmingand the other is milk supply within Lahore,Alhumdulillah. The dairy farm has the potential of sitting in very nicely between the two, and providing wholesome integration. Although integration of any two businesses, much less three, is a pain in the neck (amongst other body parts), dairy farming provides me with the perfect long-term inspiration for working on these three projects!

Warning: Know This Before You Start Dairy Farming

Most of the things people say, they just say them without much thought. They’d discourage you from doing anything different. This should not stop any half-decent starta from doing and starting different projects, of course. Having said that, following are the main points – so far – that should be considered when starting your own dairy farm:

1. It is a long term project.

There are no two ways about it. The time when you actually start seeing profits, IF a lot of things go right, is at least three years, usually five years. If you start taking out profits from it before three years, be prepared to inject more money in to it afterwards. But the upside to this remarkable business model is best explained by the following example that I frequently give to my friends and would-be entrepreneurs:

• I start a shoe shop, selling shows. You start a dairy farm, selling milk.
  • After three years, if both of us do well in our businesses, I’d be richer than you.
  • After six years, I’d have five branches all over the city, and will still be richer than you. You’d have great cash flows but you will find it hard to beat my retail outlets.
  • Ten years later, it won’t matter how good I am doing, you will be much richer than me, in terms of assets, and most importantly, in terms of cash in hand.
  • After 10 years, no business seem to even come close to the almost logarithmic growth of a dairy farm.
So if you can train yourself to actually think slow and steady, rather than fast and wobbly, then dairy farming is definitely something to consider.

2. The Most Important Factor is Currently the Hardest

The hardest part of setting up a dairy farm is the procurement of good-quality, high-yielding, environment-hardened animals. This is also the most important activity for an owner of a dairy farm.

You can go for imported cows, but I did not and I recommend that you don’t either.

A lot of people will tell you that you shouldn’t because they are expensive. I want you to know that imported cows are not expensive. If you are paying 140,000 (PKR) for a cross-bred cow, then paying 180,000 for an imported cow does not make the cow ‘expensive expensive’, it just makes it ‘relatively expensive’. And your target is not to increase the number of heads, but to increase the number of liters of milk. So an imported cow averaging 25 to 30 liters per lactation is much better than a cross-bred cow averaging 14 to 18 liters per lactation. The ROI is just plain and simple and you should stop listening to people who tell you otherwise.

But that’s not the reason why you should not get imported cows. The number one problem with imported cows is that they are unable to withstand the blast of heat of the Pakistani summers. Setting up the right infrastructure is essential, but that is not the only thing that you’d have to look into. There is disease and the very little margin of error that the imported cows give to you and your management.

I would suggest you do what I am doing; find good-quality locally bred cows, make sure that your dairy farm shed and cooling infrastructure is very much in place and then run the farm for at least a year to gauge how well your infrastructure (shed, cooling etc) is handling your locally-bred cows.

But that brings me back to the main point: finding high-quality locally bred cows is the hardest thing you’d have to do. It is also the MOST IMPORTANT thing for any dairy farm. As I have repeated this repeatedly (!!), a dairy farm’s main function is to procure and breed good-quality cows. The milk (and meat) is a by product of that main function.

So be prepared to hunt down good animals wherever you can find them. I remember travelling a total of 2000 kms plus, by road, all over Punjab, in one week, just to see and meet cow breeders. I didn’t pay half as much attention to the shed that I was constructing, or even the silage pits that were being prepared at the time, because purchasing the right animals is that one 20% activity that gives more than 80% of the result (if you are not aware of the wonderful 80/20 principle and how it applies to everything I talk about here, do read up on it by clicking here)

3. Finding the right people

Finding the right person to manage your dairy farm is also something to pay VERY close attention to. Stealing milk is very easy. If you do not trust the person who is managing the farm, then that’s a losing proposition. You should pray that God helps you find that person. You can also start with a solid attitude of trust, of reward and of accountability. I can write quite a few things on how to deal with people, because that is ALL of this is about, but suffice it to say for now, that one of the hardest things to do in dairy farming – just like in any other business – is to find the right people to manage and carry your dairy farm forward.

Details of who’s who and how many people should do what activity, those things are not the scope of this article and may be covered/posted later, God willing.

Finding technical help like that of vets and professional consults for animal feeding etc is NOT a problem, especially here in Pakistan. That is again one of the benefits of dairy farming, that the infrastructure that only a government can provide, is ALREADY IN PLACE in Pakistan. Sure there are problems, but it is good enough for you to not complain and get some work done.

###

This is just a run down of my thoughts on dairy farming and some – just some – of the pitfalls that you should look out for. By God’s Grace, my dairy farm has been operational for a about 4 months now and I am happy that I have started this business.
Actually i was planning since long but fear in mind so never take a little step towards my planing and 2ndly people just talking and they confuse me more

Back
Top Bottom