What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

So basically we are at late 2015/early 2016 using the 002 construction timeline when describing progress of the 003?
IMO, the current yard at the new harbour basin seen to be working solely on fabrication of 003's hull. And the dry dock will be responsible for joining the hulls into ship shape as well as fitting of components like engines, boilers, radar, propellers etc.

The separation of work functions may speed up the work pace, at least in theory. I can't say for sure whether they can finished the project in shorter time than 002 because there are so many variable factors compare with building of 002, like skill experience, work method, new technology, suppliers etc.

If the dry dock can finished their works and launch the ship in middle of 2021, and carry out the sea trial in 1 to 1/2 year's period, 003 might be able to be commissioned at end 2022 or early 2023.

Just my 2 cent.

Last edited:
Isnt the 003 between 80 to 100k tons?

Conservatively over 90,000 tonnes, and optimistically over 100,000 tonnes.

IMO, the current yard at the new harbour basin seen to be working solely on fabrication of 003's hull. And the dry dock will be responsible for joining the hulls into ship shape as well as fitting of components like engines, boilers, radar, propellers etc.

The separation of work functions may speed up the work pace, at least in theory. I can't say for sure whether they can finished the project in shorter time than 002 because there are so many variable factors compare with building of 002, like skill experience, work method, new technology, suppliers etc.

If the dry dock can finished their works and launch the ship in middle of 2021, and carry out the sea trial in 1 to 1/2 year's period, 003 might be able to be commissioned at end 2022 or early 2023.

Just my 2 cent.

Why boilers?

China doesn't have any type of super powerful boiler to power a 80,000+ tonnes supercarrier.

Here is one more.

003.png

Last edited:
Conservatively over 90,000 tonnes, and optimistically over 100,000 tonnes.

Why boilers?

China doesn't have any type of super powerful boiler to power a 80,000+ tonnes supercarrier.

Here is one more.

View attachment 599071
Actually boilers are relatively easy to apply and provide the technologically less demanding option. I don't understand what super boilers you are talking about but ultra supercritical boilers is a Chineze specialty and steam turbines do not require super hot metals unlike gas turbine engines.

Actually boilers are relatively easy to apply and provide the technologically less demanding option. I don't understand what super boilers you are talking about but ultra supercritical boilers is a Chineze specialty and steam turbines do not require super hot metals unlike gas turbine engines.

Metric ton wise, the Kitty Hawk class actually weighed 73,300 tons in full.

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/cv-63.htm

And its boilers were already much more powerful than both Type 001 & 002.

The Type 003 could outweigh the Kitty Hawk class by 20,000 metric tons.

A supercarrier with such size using the outdated steam boiler technology would be fuel inefficient. It would sacrifice a lot of room for storing the extra fuel, also this means less aviation fuel for the aircrafts.

So no, the Type 003 with such size will not use any steam boiler, the only available options are nuclear powered or gas turbine.

With the gas turbine, this means the Type 003 would require a twin island structure for the evenly distribution of the exhaust stack system. The PLAN hates the twin island structure, they would unlikely go after it.

A 90,000+ tonnes Type 003 will be nuclear powered for sure.

Last edited:
Just my 2 cent.

After launch still need 1 year 6 month to 2 Year for fitting, sea try need other about 1 year since it much advance AC than 002. new ship AEW&C aircraft + carrier Stealth Fighter maybe also include in test. i guest commissioned at 2024+ much more logic.

The waterline length of the Type 003 will be over 310 meters.

In comparison, the waterline of the CVN-79 is 317 meters, and 293 meters without the bulbous bow.

1.png

All the waterline modules of the Type 003 show that the total length will exceed 287 meters. Therefore it will be over 310 meters including the bulbous bow.

2.png

3.png

4.png

Indian twitters,
don't worry; we're accordingly building up Type 003 carrier as if we're building up Type 075 & Type 052D in shanghai now despite the outbreak of corona virus :agree::agree::agree:
I rather worry about Indian carrier Vikrant, which is still being built for longer than 10 years :disagree::disagree::disagree:

Last edited:

Indian twitters,
don't worry; we're accordingly building up Type 003 carrier as if we're building up Type 075 & Type 052D in shanghai now despite the outbreak of corona virus :agree::agree::agree:
I rather worry about Indian carrier Vikrant, which is still being built for longer than 10 years :disagree::disagree::disagree:

Even if in principle I agree with you in mocking the Indian Vikrant, the guy behind "d-atis" is actually a very kind guy.

Metric ton wise, the Kitty Hawk class actually weighed 73,300 tons in full.

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/cv-63.htm

And its boilers were already much more powerful than both Type 001 & 002.

The Type 003 could outweigh the Kitty Hawk class by 20,000 metric tons.

A supercarrier with such size using the outdated steam boiler technology would be fuel inefficient. It would sacrifice a lot of room for storing the extra fuel, also this means less aviation fuel for the aircrafts.

So no, the Type 003 with such size will not use any steam boiler, the only available options are nuclear powered or gas turbine.

With the gas turbine, this means the Type 003 would require a twin island structure for the evenly distribution of the exhaust stack system. The PLAN hates the twin island structure, they would unlikely go after it.

A 90,000+ tonnes Type 003 will be nuclear powered for sure.
Sorry but I need to correct you, nuclear power is not combustion based propulsion, you convert heat into steam. Therefore you will still a steam driven system. Your propulsion would be a steam turbine or electric propulsion energized by steam. Nuclear power is always coupled with steam, gas turbine on the other hand is combustion driven, direct heat to propulsion.

Back
Top Bottom