What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

Via Bltizo/SDF aka @RickJoe_PLART

"GE updated JNCX, with imagery from 10th March.

We are finally able to measure the beam of 003 directly rather than having to measure a secondary object to extrapolate its beam."
I consistently measure between 40-41 meters on GE, which is similar to what the CSIS satellite imagery earlier this year measured."

View attachment 576785

I have played with GE by myself, and it looks like the discrepancy is quite small.

The water beam Type 003 was mostly around 41 meters in my trial of GE.
1.png

The actual length of the Type 055 is 180 meters, and it is around 177-178 meters on GE.
2.png

4.png

The Type 052D is 157 meters, and it is around 155 meters on GE.
3.png

The Type 052DL got pretty much the same exact measurement on GE.
5.png

Finally the USS George H.W. Bush, the measurements on GE are also quite identical to the official ones.
6.png

7.png

It looks like the fourth ship will be an improved variant of the Type 003, maybe it will soon start the construction in DL?

Look more like 004 in design phase. attachment said 004 they study different design scheme. in attachment also see the person start working in Dec 2018 and take lead for 004 design, i guest need 2 year to enter design freeze phase.

Last edited:
Look more like 004 in design phase. attachment said 004 they study different design scheme.

By looking at the designation, it looks more like a subclass of the Type 003, likely being a more refined version of the Type 003.

Maybe 003 is driven by the steam turbines, while 004 is designed with the IEP?

By looking at the designation, it looks more like a subclass of the Type 003, likely being a more refined version of the Type 003.

Maybe 003 is driven by the steam turbines, while 004 is designed with the IEP?

To admit, can anyone provide a clear translation of the relevant parts?

To admit, can anyone provide a clear translation of the relevant parts?

**1型舰 = Type 001
**2型舰 = Type 002
**3型舰 = Type 003
**4舰 = Fourth Ship

#4 doesn't have its own standalone class, but it looks standalone from the basic Type 003. That's why it looks like a subclass of the Type 003.

The Type 001 definitely represents the CV-16, while the Type 002 represents the CV-17, since the designation of the Type 001A doesn't exist, and the CV-17 cannot be designated as the Type 001 either.

The third ship currently represents as the final class of the PLAN aircraft carriers, even its successors also belong to this class.

**1型舰 = Type 001
**2型舰 = Type 002
**3型舰 = Type 003
**4舰 = Fourth Ship

#4 doesn't have its own standalone class, but it looks standalone from the basic Type 003. That's why it looks like a subclass of the Type 003.

The Type 001 definitely represents the CV-16, while the Type 002 represents the CV-17, since the designation of the Type 001A doesn't exist, and the CV-17 cannot be designated as the Type 001 either.

The third ship currently represents as the final class of the PLAN aircraft carriers, even its successors also belong to this class.

Thank you so much :-)

Finally there seems to be some sort of movement at the Jiangnan Shipyard, it seems ar least as if the Type 003 carrier modules are being moved ...

(Images via @10969YUKIKAZE)

EGaBDGBU4AQ2FFW.jpeg
EGaBE4TU0AEKkB-.jpeg

Finally there seems to be some sort of movement at the Jiangnan Shipyard, it seems ar least as if the Type 003 carrier modules are being moved ...

(Images via @10969YUKIKAZE)

View attachment 583004 View attachment 583005

According to the original tweet and some translations it is assumed that the bow installation work of 003 type aircraft carrier has begun. ... however I can't see something what looks like a bow?!

According to the original tweet and some translations it is assumed that the bow installation work of 003 type aircraft carrier has begun. ... however I can't see something what looks like a bow?!
From the photo, it looks more like Fabrication of the bow module has begun rather than installation of the bow. At least a couple of months will pass before the bow modules is "ship shape".

From the photo, it looks more like Fabrication of the bow module has begun rather than installation of the bow. At least a couple of months will pass before the bow modules is "ship shape".

Me again, since I think I made a mistake ... at first sight I thought the two images posted yesterday were taken from the regular direction facing the big basin, however after comparing with the bigger image from top I was wrong and the line of sight - even if not entirely sure - seems to be as marked by that arrow ... Or am I wrong again.

Anyway, that still means of the so far two mega-blocks or super-modules at least one is missing?!

PLN Type 003 carrier - 20190712 + 20191009+++.jpg

Me again ... I completely missed this image posted on 2 August, there is already only one module!?

Sorry for the confusion ... I think I need a break.
PLN Type 003 carrier - 20190802 - 2.jpg

Last edited:
It seems indeed as I corrected myself, and this GE satellite image confirms that the large modules have been moved to the front edge of the basin - as we already discussed assuming that the assembly has reached the stage of being ready to be transferred to the dry dock for final assembly - and this image also confirms the rumours from yesterday, since the part looks indeed like the rumoured bow ....

PLN Type 003 carrier - 20190917 GE xs.jpg

There will likely be at least 4 super modules in the making. The first two mid-ship super modules are in advance stage of fabrication and is under the mobile weather halls. The third one (bow module) is being fabricated and is located at the opposite end facing the main road.

The fourth super modules for the stern of the aircraft carrier has not been fabricated yet, but pieces of its components can be seen lying at the edge of the fabrication yard.

pln-type-003-carrier-20190802-2-jpg.583210

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom