What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

The propulsion options for the Type 003 are really limited.

The gas turbine is out of option, and only options remained are the nuclear + steam turbine or boiler + steam turbine.

The boiler + steam turbine is an outdated option, and the PLAN has been very dissatisfied with the Type 002, and they don't want to have a third ship with that type of propulsion system.
When was the PLAN very "dissatisfied" with the 002? Could you provide more details ...

When was the PLAN very "dissatisfied" with the 002? Could you provide more details ...

The Type 002 was originally designated as a Chinese version of the Kitty Hawk class, but later it turned out to be a mere upgrade of the Type 001. Because China has skipped the steam catapult for its third carrier, most likely the boiler powered propulsion as well.

So the PLAN doesn't want another carrier with ski-jump, they also don't want its propulsion to be powered by the conventional boilers.

The Type 002 was originally designated as a Chinese version of the Kitty Hawk class
How so? It was always going to be just a modernization of the 001. It has no catapults, how could it be anything else?
but later it turned out to be a mere upgrade of the Type 001.
That's what anyone reasonable expected it to be.

How so? It was always going to be just a modernization of the 001. It has no catapults, how could it be anything else?

Type 001 - Liaoning

Type 002 - Red Kitty Hawk

Type 003 - Red Nimitz or Ford

The original Type 002 has likely been completely substituted by the current CV-17.

BTW, we are only few months away, and we will soon find out what it will look like.

Type 001 - Liaoning

Type 002 - Red Kitty Hawk

Type 003 - Red Nimitz or Ford

The original Type 002 has likely been completely substituted by the current CV-17.

BTW, we are only few months away, and we will soon find out what it will look like.
TBH I don't really have a dog in this particular fight. I would be thrilled if 003 was nuke powered but I wouldn't bet on it. In any event it's not a hill I want to die on. As you said, we'll soon see.

No, PLAN didn't want to wait for Type 002 carrier to enter service so they demanded a modified Liaoning class be inducted into service as a stopgap.

The original plan was to jump straight to 85,000 ton CATOBAR carrier from Liaoning.

No, PLAN didn't want to wait for Type 002 carrier to enter service so they demanded a modified Liaoning class be inducted into service as a stopgap.

The original plan was to jump straight to 85,000 ton CATOBAR carrier from Liaoning.
Actually if I'm not mistaken, it was the Chinese government that wanted an aircraft carrier quickly. The PLAN was content with waiting for the CATOBAR carrier but the CCP leadership wanted a carrier as soon as possible, which is how the 002 was born.

The 350 meters dry dock section has been nearly fulfilled, and if we remove the gap between the modules, I think the waterline section in the end will be around 320 meters, and the flight deck will be no less than 335 meters.

003.jpg

From big cat,

齐天大猫哥手绘专用号
32分钟前 来自 iPhone客户端
回复@遥远的它们:我国核动力船三步走已经成定局,第一步海工产品已经交付使用一年,第二步核动力特种船巳经下水准备交付,第二条准备下水(注意特种船可没限定破冰船),第三步的核动力航母在几年之后。这和美帝没关系,美帝一样搞个八堆企业。而我们相应能力的核动力特种船持续出来。请注意第一第二步已经实现了。
Qitian big cat brother hand-painted special number
32 minutes ago from the iPhone client

Reply to @遥远的They: The three-step process of our nuclear-powered ships development process is a foregone conclusion and underway. The first step of having marine nuclear propulsion products have already been delivered for one year, the second step of having nuclear-powered special purpose ship has been launched and is ready for delivery, and the second ship is ready to be launched (note that special purpose ships may not be limited to icebreakers), the third step of nuclear-powered aircraft carrier would be a few years later. How China choose this steps has nothing to do with the U.S., who has also chosen to set up eight reactors enterprises. And our nuclear-powered special purpose ships with corresponding capabilities continue to come out. Please note that the first and second steps have already been implemented.

From big cat,

齐天大猫哥手绘专用号
32分钟前 来自 iPhone客户端
回复@遥远的它们:我国核动力船三步走已经成定局,第一步海工产品已经交付使用一年,第二步核动力特种船巳经下水准备交付,第二条准备下水(注意特种船可没限定破冰船),第三步的核动力航母在几年之后。这和美帝没关系,美帝一样搞个八堆企业。而我们相应能力的核动力特种船持续出来。请注意第一第二步已经实现了。

Reply to @遥远的They: The three-step process of our nuclear-powered ships development process is a foregone conclusion and underway. The first step of having marine nuclear propulsion products have already been delivered for one year, the second step of having nuclear-powered special purpose ship has been launched and is ready for delivery, and the second ship is ready to be launched (note that special purpose ships may not be limited to icebreakers), the third step of nuclear-powered aircraft carrier would be a few years later. How China choose this steps has nothing to do with the U.S., who has also chosen to set up eight reactors enterprises. And our nuclear-powered special purpose ships with corresponding capabilities continue to come out. Please note that the first and second steps have already been implemented.

In that case, I hope that special purpose ship is the Arsenal ship. :p:
arsenal-sip-concept-1920x993.png

From big cat,

齐天大猫哥手绘专用号
32分钟前 来自 iPhone客户端

He is not reliable.

Seems as if the modules are not connected yet.

In fact, the bow and stern sections are already fixated, and they will add some modules in the mid section and to weld out the gap between the modules.

So the final waterline section of the Type 003 will not be much different from 315-320 meters.

In fact, the bow and stern sections are already fixated, and they will add some modules in the mid section and to weld out the gap between the modules.

So the final waterline section of the Type 003 will not be much different from 315-320 meters.

I don't think so - EDIT: I'm sure, I have just seen very clear recent images - and there are still very wide gaps between the modules visible so making any estimation of the final length quite moot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom