What's new

Currie: CWG could be called off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets us not forget the Olympics in China which was met with a lot of skepticism. Let me underline some points here.

This article was titled "Olympic Shame"
Olympic Shame - washingtonpost.com

Will China "Lose" the 2008 Olympics?
But as China's leaders begin final preparations for the Games next August, they may be wondering if hosting the event was such a good idea after all. They have significant reasons for doubt.

Good point. :tup:

There was a lot of negativity towards the Beijing Olympics as well, before it had even started.

There was a lot of negativity towards the Beijing Olympics as well, before it had even started.

Just wait and watch the critics eat crow lol! My favorite activity.

p.s. I don't think the common games are going to get cancelled just because of a few leaky toilets. The media are exaggerating, as always.

CGF asks India to fix condition of Games Village immediately - Yahoo! India News

Tue, Sep 21 10:34 AM
New Delhi, Sep 21 (PTI) Commonwealth Games Federation President Michael Fennell today asked the Indian government to take immediate steps to fix the condition of Games Village''s residential zone, which according to him, has "shocked" many contingents. With just 12 days to go for the sporting extravaganza, the CGF chief has expressed doubts over the state of what he called a "seriously compromised" Games Village.

In a statement, Fennell said he had written to the Cabinet Secretary K M Chandrashekar and requested him to take urgent steps before the first batch of athletes arrive on Thursday. "The final preparations for the Commonwealth Games Village have been of concern to the CGF since viewing the residential zone along with a number of Commonwealth Games Associations (CGAs) advance parties on September 15," the CGF President said.

"Many issues remain unresolved and as such last night I wrote to the Indian Cabinet Secretary, expressing my great concern with the preparedness of the Athletes Village," Fennell said in the statement. "The condition of the residential zone has shocked the majority of CGAs that are in Delhi.

However, with the Village to be officially opened on September 23, timely acceptable solutions to prepare for the arrival of athletes are of paramount importance. "The CGF has asked the Cabinet Secretary to immediately deploy the necessary resources to fix all the outstanding issues to an acceptable level," Fennell added.

Fennell''s strongly-worded statement came after advanced parties from New Zealand, Canada, Scotland and Ireland have raised serious concerns regarding the ****** and unhealthy condition of the residential zone of the Games Village. "The Village is the cornerstone of any Games and the athletes deserve the best possible environment to prepare for their competition.

"Many nations that have already sent their advanced parties to set up within the Village have made it abundantly clear that, as of the afternoon of September 20, the Commonwealth Games Village is seriously compromised," Fennell said. He said problems have emerged because deadlines for the completion of the Village had been consistently missed.

"Now, the high security around the site, while vital, is slowing progress and complicating solutions," Fennell added. In the wake of Sunday''s firing incident on foreign nationals in the Capital, the CGF chief reiterated that security continues to remain of "utmost importance" to the Federation.

"Security remains of the utmost importance to the CGF and our advisors continue to monitor the situation. Currently, this matter remains on track," Fennell said.

"CGF CEO, Mike Hooper, and his staff are already in Delhi and are keeping me constantly informed of the situation and developments," he added.

Three top UK athletes pull out of Commonwealth Games

CWG-athletes-295x200_ath2.jpg

New Delhi: The news just keeps getting worse for the organisers of the Commonwealth Games in Delhi.

A day after a foot over-bridge at Jawaharlal Nehru stadium collapsed and Commonwealth Games Federation Chief Executive Mike Hooper termed the Games Village as "****** and uninhabitable," three top British athletes have decided to pull out of the event.

One of them, Phillips Idowu, has given security fears as the reason for his decision. Idowu is the world triple jump champion and the also the defending Commonwealth Games champion in the same event.

Idowu also posted on his twitter account by writing 'Sorry people, but I have children to think about. My safety is more important to them than a medal.'

* Share this on Rediff.com Rediff.com
* NDTVTwitter
* NDTVNDTV Social
* Share with MessengerLive Messenger
* NDTVGmail Buzz
* NDTVPrint

Besides Idowu, the other two athletes to pull out are Christine Ohuruogu and Lisa Dobriskey.

While Idowu has concerns over security preparations for the Games, Ohuruogu and Dobriskey have given injury concerns as the reason for pulling out of the Games.

Ohuruogu is the Olympic champion in the women's 400 meter event. She is also the defending Commonwealth Games champion in the event. Lisa Dobriskey is also a Commonwealth Games defending champion in 1500 meters.

The pullout by the UK athletes comes just a day after Australia's Dani Samuels, the first athlete to officially pull out of the Games due to security reasons.

The 22-year-old who won Gold in the Discus Throw at the World Championships in Berlin last year made the decision after Sunday's terrorist attack on tourists at Jama Masjid in Delhi.

Read more at: Three top UK athletes pull out of Commonwealth Games

Exactly!!!! Lets give the Pakistanis their day, Some have been waiting for such news. Lets us not forget the Olympics in China which was met with a lot of skepticism. Let me underline some points here

There are scores more but the unwritten rule is many countries will always see India as a Land of snake charmers and the poor. No amount of innovation will change their mind.

While this does not mean we should not own up for our deficiency in the whole thing but how serious is the problem? If there is any solace in this whole fiasco..the games haven't yet begun..so lets hope the coming week has more to cheer for all of us!

With due respect, Sir. westerners slander on China's Olympics was purely an ideological crusade, but the problem with India is its organizational power and engineering capability.

You can't talk them in parallel.

BTW, I really hope CWG can go smoothly.

I wonder how many Indians now wished their government was authoritarian, like CCP or something similar? Even just for the Commonwealth Games period?

More Australian athletes may withdraw from the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, Australia's sports minister has said.

Mark Arbib said the head of Australia's Commonwealth Games Association had told him he expected a number to follow world discus champion Dani Samuels.

Samuels withdrew on Tuesday, citing security and health concerns.

Her decision came after the head of the Commonwealth Games federation fiercely criticised India over the facilities it was providing for athletes in Delhi.

Michael Fennell, president of the Commonwealth Games Federation, said advance teams had been shocked by what they had seen at the athletes' village, where toilets were ****** and flats unfinished.

A spokesman for the local organising committee said foreign officials might have "different standards of hygiene", but also promised that conditions would be improved before the Games opened on 3 October.

In a separate development on Tuesday, a pedestrian bridge connected to the main Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium stadium collapsed, injuring 27 workers, five of them seriously.

Clearly, the 'Indian way' hasn't worked - and the Games are turning out to be India's bonfire of vanities”

Raj Kumar Chauhan, Delhi's minister for development, said the accident occurred when workers were trying to pour concrete into a clip at the base of the bridge, and the clip was loosened.

BBC News - Commonwealth Games: More Australian athletes 'may quit'

I dont comment on if CWGs will be a success or a failure BUT one thing is certain that Indians play some pathetic tricks for getting world attention and in between making themselves a laughing stuff

You mean like Ijaz Butt...

Hosting an international even like CWG is a pathetic trick... Lol... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If so then we will soon try more pathetic tricks like... Olympics, Asian Games, Cricket World Cup, Foot ball world cup (if we ever have a great foot ball team), and many more World cups...

BTW... do you have any more tricks left...

these guys organizing are really a disgrace to our nation ... latest news i saw that the fall ceiling at the nehru stadium where the weight lifting compitition will be scheduled has collapses ...

agreed:tup: but did you guys had fall ceilings and bridges collapsing day before the competition or insects in the swimming pool ?? i wont be surprised if these guys now start pointing fingers for theirs loop holes!!! i reaaly hope the more athletes do not pull out cos of this frenzy!!

More Australian athletes may withdraw from the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, Australia's sports minister has said.

Mark Arbib said the head of Australia's Commonwealth Games Association had told him he expected a number to follow world discus champion Dani Samuels.

Samuels withdrew on Tuesday, citing security and health concerns.

Her decision came after the head of the Commonwealth Games federation fiercely criticised India over the facilities it was providing for athletes in Delhi.

Michael Fennell, president of the Commonwealth Games Federation, said advance teams had been shocked by what they had seen at the athletes' village, where toilets were ****** and flats unfinished.

A spokesman for the local organising committee said foreign officials might have "different standards of hygiene", but also promised that conditions would be improved before the Games opened on 3 October.

In a separate development on Tuesday, a pedestrian bridge connected to the main Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium stadium collapsed, injuring 27 workers, five of them seriously.

Clearly, the 'Indian way' hasn't worked - and the Games are turning out to be India's bonfire of vanities”

Raj Kumar Chauhan, Delhi's minister for development, said the accident occurred when workers were trying to pour concrete into a clip at the base of the bridge, and the clip was loosened.

BBC News - Commonwealth Games: More Australian athletes 'may quit'

another PAKISTANI jealous of INDIA hosting CWG 2010........:flame:

Is there any news of another structure falling down after the bridge ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom