What's new

Currie: CWG could be called off

Status
Not open for further replies.
look, who is giving us advice .... whose country are expelled so many times from common wealth and no athletes want to visit the rubbish country apart from, let guess :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Very pathetic attitude. Right now it is India which is receiving the tag of Rubbish Country and it is splattered all over international media. Take off your hate goggles and acknowledge when you have goofed up(Understatement of the year).

Even if the games do go ahead - India's image has been severely damaged.

@abu... if ur country so ashamed of being a former british colony, why cant ur country back out from it ?? tell me frankly how many areas u have visited during floods?? i cannot go their because of the security issues.... india is not country where we have safe havens for people, who can do whatever wants. u get it??

considering the above facts you should know how it feels and you shouldnt be mocking at others...
We do.....We are just making sure you also do......Remember the jumping when sriLankan team was attacked......Even it was mentioned many times after that by you guys.....Why cant you face it now?

Very pathetic attitude. Right now it is India which is receiving the tag of Rubbish Country and it is splattered all over international media. Take off your hate goggles and acknowledge when you have goofed up(Understatement of the year).

Even if the games do go ahead - India's image has been severely damaged.
hey man, take it easy, don't u see the comments from pakistanis ?? yes we messed up big time because of corrupt politicians. but called whole country sh!ty and all that, i cant take this. i just remind the hard realities, just a taste of their own medicine.

There is plenty of black mailing going over with on and off CWG! The goras cant see it being sucessfully played in a third world country

Lets not blame goras here. Its our own people. Corruption has its highest level. Corporate india is moving in one direction while babudom and red tape is pulling in other direction. India hosted first asian games! Cant believe? What happened to our generation?:hitwall:

@abu... if ur country so ashamed of being a former british colony, why cant ur country back out from it ?? tell me frankly how many areas u have visited during floods?? i cannot go their because of the security issues.... india is not country where we have safe havens for people, who can do whatever wants. u get it??
Donated more than my salary........Visited areas continuously for 3 weeks with supplies (Small scale what we few friends can do).....Flood victims People living in my home (the one in the village) for free.....

Now tell me how much you did....Forget CWG....What you did for flood victims in your own country? or for the poor, Or for the homeless?

Commonwealth Games given 48 hours to save itself

Commonwealth Games organisers in Delhi were tonight given 48 hours to save the crisis-hit event after team officials warned they would pull their athletes out if serious ongoing concerns about the standard of facilities were not immediately addressed.

The sense of impending crisis was exacerbated when a section of the ceiling in the weightlifting arena fell down amid growing fears over rising flood waters near the athlete's village, which had already been condemned by team officials as "******" and "unfit for human occupation".

With the Games at risk of descending into farce, thousands of athletes from the major competing nations remained in the dark about whether or not they would be boarding a plane to compete.

The Scottish team delayed the departure of the first batch of their 192 athletes, comprising 41 boxers, rugby players, wrestlers and support staff. The Wales team set a deadline of tonight to receive reassurances from organisers that the athlete's village and venues would be "fit for purpose" and plan to discuss the issue further tomorrow.

The first batch of 22 English athletes, including the lawn bowls team and the men's hockey squad, are due to fly out tomorrow as planned, but the English chef de mission, Craig Hunter, said organisers were not making nearly enough progress on the ground.

A mass walkout remains an option, with the "point of no return" seen as early next week. The main competing countries would be likely to act in concert and are in constant communication with one another.

Michael Cavanagh, chairman of Commonwealth Games Scotland, said any decision would be a joint one and insisted that any knock on effects for the Glasgow Games in 2014 would not be a factor.

"In terms of withdrawal we don't see this as simply a Team Scotland decision," he said. "Any decision to withdraw we would see as being a collective decision amongst the countries who are already there and already concerned."

He added: "We can't allow ourselves to be influenced by thoughts of how it may impact on 2014, not when we have something as important as the safety of our athletes to consider."

Although England had been allocated one of the more habitable of the 34 blocks in the athlete's village, Hunter told the Guardian there had "not been much progress" in ensuring that it was fit for habitation in the week he had been there.

"I'm trying to remain eternally optimistic. But at some point we will reach the point of no return and that is when we will have to decide."

While organisers continued to insist there were only "minor issues", Hunter said that was patently not the case.

Commonwealth Games Federation president, Mike Fennell, will arrive in Delhi tomorrow and is likely to meet with the Indian prime minister for crisis talks aimed at saving the Games. Mike Hooper, CWF chief executive, said he would be seeking to draw a line under the blame game that has already begun and put pressure on the government to avoid more international embarrassment.

"There is a problem, it needs fixing. I'm not into pointing fingers. They have the next couple of days to put things right," said Hooper. He said that while venues were built to a high standard, and he had no concerns over security, the sorry state of the village was a huge worry.

The beleaguered Delhi chief minister, Sheila Dikshit, played down the problems and accused the media of damaging India's image. "Something may be dripping, some tile may collapse, doesn't mean the entire Games are bad," she told reporters.

It is now known that the accident on Tuesday, in which 27 were injured when a bridge connecting the athletes' carpark to the main Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium collapsed, was caused when a metal pin worked loose detaching the main structure from its suspension cables.

Five workers remained in a critical condition, several with serious spinal injuries. Most of the injured were contracted labourers from poor rural areas. Campaigners say dozens of workers have been killed and hundreds injured in a succession of accidents at Games venues.

The world discus champion, Dani Samuels, of Australia pulled out of the Games because of security and health concerns, as did England's world triple jump champion, Phillips Idowu. A host of other big name athletes, including Usain Bolt and Sir Chris Hoy, had already withdrawn for a variety of reasons.

Foreign secretary, William Hague, said: "I hope these problems can be dealt with. We want them sorted out as rapidly as possible. Let's encourage the organisers to put these things right so the athletes can take part as they should be doing."

Commonwealth Games given 48 hours to save itself

@abu... if ur country so ashamed of being a former british colony, why cant ur country back out from it ??

what??? :what:

tell me frankly how many areas u have visited during floods??

i vistited Bajaur to do a damage assesment, as i was involved in a small-scale solar power electrification project there. I spoke to people; especially elders. I brought with me clothes (mine as well as friends who had given me theirs to donate). What difference I made? Not too much, but at least i tried.

admittedly, that was the only flood affected area.....that's a ''frank'' answer for you. I did (within my means) donate for my affected comrades.

I am just me.....many many people helped (and are helping) in Pakistan, a lot of it unreported. Off-topic though.

i cannot go their because of the security issues.... india is not country where we have safe havens for people, who can do whatever wants. u get it??

well, seems you have similar issues; by the way, were those 2 gunmen captured???

no safe-havens at all in india? are things really that bad over there, or are you exaggerating :lol::woot:

Last edited:
expelled for what? Political reasons.

You want to know my personal opinion (and I'd be happy to hear from fellow comrades on this matter)

what is the Commonwealth anyways? A bunch of countries that say ''hey, i used to be a britisher colony....woop-dee-f*cking-doo!!!''

I was EXTREMELY vocal (even in letter to editor of Frontier Post, and The Nation) that we should celebrate the decision; and never go back to ''commonwealth''

it was more their loss than ours, to be honest

we get the last laugh.....you cant even keep dogs from taking giant dumps on beds which were to be used by VIPs

put your money where your mouth is. CWG is in crisis --why dont you go volunteer and help clean up some of the rubble.

Where is indian pride and nationalism? Is it behind computer screen only?

I agree with ur point of view. The Common Wealth Nations is just a reminder of the inglorious colonial days. A bunch of supremest nations like Australia, Canada + few poor African and south Asian nations..Its time to scrap this.

Asian games, Olympics, SAARC Games, Asian Athletics Championship, etc are only required.

expelled for what? Political reasons.

You want to know my personal opinion (and I'd be happy to hear from fellow comrades on this matter)

what is the Commonwealth anyways? A bunch of countries that say ''hey, i used to be a britisher colony....woop-dee-f*cking-doo!!!''

I was EXTREMELY vocal (even in letter to editor of Frontier Post, and The Nation) that we should celebrate the decision; and never go back to ''commonwealth''

it was more their loss than ours, to be honest

we get the last laugh.....you cant even keep dogs from taking giant dumps on beds which were to be used by VIPs

put your money where your mouth is. CWG is in crisis --why dont you go volunteer and help clean up some of the rubble.

Where is indian pride and nationalism? Is it behind computer screen only?

Alternatively, you could have mentioned that both his posts were irrelevant to the point and were merely a diversion tactic. That would have saved a lot of time.

i have small concern yaar what if some one use small crackers blasts these days it will become death of games. as we see journalists already carry fake bombs and enter inside? crackers are not hard to make and blast these days.

Donated more than my salary........Visited areas continuously for 3 weeks with supplies (Small scale what we few friends can do).....Flood victims People living in my home (the one in the village) for free.....

Now tell me how much you did....Forget CWG....What you did for flood victims in your own country? or for the poor, Or for the homeless?
hey man, i have my limitations, but i have donated to PM relief fund. well, good job by you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom