What's new

Current Tensions in Xinjiang-China

How come they are a "Union" now with strong economy? Why doesnt that happen to the place where 1/5th of humanity lives??

Can you tell why 50% of the worlds money is with America ?

And I hate when a American uses a pacifist and humanitarian speech...;)

Guddi, your question is a geninue one, but that i guess have been addressed by various posts. There is a relation between pakistan and india, be it of hate or love(and i love the way peaceforall put it "jeleous sibilings") and people to tend to condemn the affairs of the two countries more.

However this question is still valid for those who think they are the custodians of Islam and will condemn everything and anything without getting proper picture, they are just silent because the economics doesn't work out well..!!!!

This is China's internal problem. Xinjiang is an integral part of China, it must obey Chinese law and Chinese citizens can live anywhere in China. Xinjiang shares no dispute with any other country. No country, except China, claims Xinjiang as part of their territory.

And dont bring religion into this, this is not about religion..its about an ethnicity. China has more than 20 million Muslims and they are not all Uyghurs.

This problem China has is with some UYghur rebels not with Muslims.

China’s drive to develop Xinjiang’s resources has spurred an influx of migrants and bred resentment among Uighurs, who complain of discrimination and political and cultural repression. Han Chinese now account for half the province’s 21 million population, from 7 percent in the 1953 census.

“At school, we were never allowed to wear the traditional Uighur hat as the Chinese saw it as a threat to them if we showed our national identity,” said Haiyur, the Uighur exile. Uighurs were prevented from celebrating a traditional festival, banned from gathering in public and forced to learn Chinese, he said.

“Almost all the factories in Xinjiang are Chinese-owned,” Haiyur said. “Often you would find a big poster outside the factories saying ‘We don’t need ethnic minorities for this position.’”

Riots Expose China?s Ethnic Divisions, Uneven Growth (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

Here goes your questions

trust me ,man
if China is in trouble ,they would not care about who is local or not .

even some of indians said 156 death in Xinjiang is Uighur,and killed by chinese army
they think it is a peaceful protest

who can tell me a peaceful protest killed 156,and 1080 wounded in 3 hours,what kind of a protest it is?

is there any one know how long the protest in Thailand? more than one year,and how many people died? 1 ,only one,ok?

what a f@ck protest it is ? how funny it is a country of freedom?right?
indians is fighting for Uighur racist ,how holy you r ?
sh@t

“Almost all the factories in Xinjiang are Chinese-owned,” Haiyur said. “Often you would find a big poster outside the factories saying ‘We don’t need ethnic minorities for this position.’”

Han Chinese now account for half the province’s 21 million population, from 7 percent in the 1953 census.

if they are Racist . then what you are? how their population declined? Have nay Logical reasons ?

come on ,man
the indians r trying so hard to make China a anti-Islam country,if you r so honest ,they will feel bad
and i still dont trust prejudice on religion,i believe a true Muslim would not kill innocent people

You Mean to say , BLA, Kashmir Terrorists and Let etc and Taliban is not True Muslim ? :rofl:

few years ago,Afghanistan Taliban had got 10+Korea hostage,and they killed some of man,but not touch women.
i dont know if they change now,or they would kill women and kids in their terrorism now ,i just dont get a news that they killed people on the street in such way

If your not getting true Stories , then dont think world is change, ask your media to provide true stories and ull know what happening around the world.

If your not getting true Stories , then dont think world is change, ask your media to provide true stories and ull know what happening around the world.

calm down... i am giving you a true story... from western media... :)

Search for Han Chinese sister whose family were butchered by Uighurs

Search for Han Chinese sister whose family were butchered by Uighurs - Times Online

What was once a grocery shop is now a blackened mess. Two boys in shorts and singlets play in the rubble but the usual occupants are absent. Five days ago a Han Chinese family was butchered in this small shop — victims of the Uighurs who rampaged through Urumqi.

Yu Dongzhi described how he clawed through the smoking ruins of the store to search for the family who lived there. He hoped to find his sister, Yu Xinli; her husband, Zhang Mingying; their 13-year-old son; her elderly mother-in-law; and a nephew aged 27.

The police helped him to dig among sacks of flour and bottles of rice wine melted by the heat of the blaze.

He found no survivors, only four bodies. He has yet to discover the fate of his sister.

Mr Yu is a heavily built man in his fifties and more than 6ft, but he almost weeps with despair. “I just hope I can find my sister in an intensive care unit of one of the hospitals. But so far, nothing.”

He has checked the mortuaries and photo galleries of unclaimed bodies held by the police, but his sister was not among them.

He has been refused access to the intensive care units. “I don’t say that I want to go in to disturb these very sick people, but why can’t they show us photographs of the injured? At least then I could find my sister,” he said.

Mr Yu cannot bear to think that she may have been dragged away by the rioters and murdered.

Just coping with the deaths of his sister’s family has almost overwhelmed him. The bodies were among the corpses whose pictures have been carried in local newspapers. So shocking was the family tragedy that one newspaper carried a special report on it, Police have confirmed the killings.

As The Times stood outside what is left of No 447 Zhongwan Street, a Han neighbour approached. She had watched the killings from her home in an apartment block overlooking the store.

“We saw hundreds of Uighurs running down the street on the afternoon of July 5. About ten suddenly rushed into the store. They began to hit the people inside, even the old mother, with bricks and stones. They tried to run outside. Then they were dragged back inside.

“There were terrible screams. Just wordless screams. But then very quickly they fell silent.”

She said that the son tried to hide in a chicken coop but was dragged out and his head was cut off. All the victims were left to burn inside the building. The corpses of the boy and his father were found beheaded. Mr Yu said: “Even the 84-year-old mother was stoned and then burnt. It was terrible, terrible. So cruel.”

Mr Yu made his way yesterday to a temporary emergency centre in an Urumqi hotel. At some desks clerks helped Han and Uighurs to process requests for compensation for damaged cars or destroyed businesses.

In a corner, two women waited at a desk for families seeking missing loved ones or reporting the deaths of relatives. This was where Mr Yu hoped to find help in the hunt for his sister. Officials were unable to explain what he could do next.

He sat in the hotel room-turned-office surrounded by relatives, just waiting. “I still have to keep up my hopes,” he said.

Mr Yu is too busy looking for his sister to organise the funerals for her family. That painful task will come next.

More than a decade ago his brother-in-law moved from central Henan province to run a successful business in a district with a high proportion of ethnic Uighur residents. “Perhaps they were jealous of his success. They clearly targeted the family. It looked as if they had decided in advance to pick on my sister. The police are pursuing the case and they have made some arrests,” said Mr Yu.

Nearby, a Uighur family run a small restaurant. The man shrugged when asked about the family who only a week ago ran a thriving business. He refused to talk about his late Han neighbours.

:)

Han Chinese now account for half the province’s 21 million population, from 7 percent in the 1953 census.

if they are Racist . then what you are? how their population declined? Have nay Logical reasons ?

no... hans cant have more than one child, Uighurs can have as many as they want... no economic discrimination... because Rebya Kadeer herself a Uighur woman became millionaire doing business... :)

you get facts corrected.... :)

believe me, this kanyakubja dont lie holding his thread... :)

China’s drive to develop Xinjiang’s resources has spurred an influx of migrants and bred resentment among Uighurs, who complain of discrimination and political and cultural repression. Han Chinese now account for half the province’s 21 million population, from 7 percent in the 1953 census.

“At school, we were never allowed to wear the traditional Uighur hat as the Chinese saw it as a threat to them if we showed our national identity,” said Haiyur, the Uighur exile. Uighurs were prevented from celebrating a traditional festival, banned from gathering in public and forced to learn Chinese, he said.

Riots Expose China?s Ethnic Divisions, Uneven Growth (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

Here goes your questions

we are also suffering from same problem... dont tell these things... u dont represent India.... in India we are first Indians... in China all are Chinese first.... Russia supported China... you dont spread these...please...

no... hans cant have more than one child, Uighurs can have as many as they want... no economic discrimination... because Rebya Kadeer herself a Uighur woman became millionaire doing business... :)

you get facts corrected.... :)

believe me, this kanyakubja dont lie holding his thread... :)

Population increase is not only due to procreation, it can also happen by planned and deliberate mass migration. This is what is exactly happening in Xinjiang and Tibet. The Han Chinese people are moving into these provinces which had majority of non-Han ethnic people a few decades ago. Slowly these non-han ethnic people are becoming a minority in their own lands.

China bans Friday Prayers at Urumqi mosques

China has ordered mosques in the riot-hit Urumqi to stay closed for Friday prayers in the wake of ethnic violence in the city, an official said.

The official who identified herself as a government worker but refused to give her name said on Friday that the decision to close down mosques had been made for public safety, adding that "people should stay at home today and pray," AP reported.

Officials in Kashgar, another city in Xinjiang Province have suspended visits by foreigners. They have ordered foreigners and visiting journalists to leave the city.

The protests, which saw 156 people killed and more than 1,100 others injured, were sparked over last month's deaths of Uighur factory workers during a brawl in southern China.

The eight million Uighurs in Xinjiang accuse the Chinese government of discrimination and repression. The government, however, denies the charges.
China bans mosque prayers in Urumqi

Population increase is not only due to procreation, it can also happen by planned and deliberate mass migration. This is what is exactly happening in Xinjiang and Tibet. The Han Chinese people are moving into these provinces which had majority of non-Han ethnic people a few decades ago. Slowly these non-han ethnic people are becoming a minority in their own lands.

they are chinese citizens, why you describe some as hans, as uighurs, as ram, as rahim... all citizens are free to go anywhere in their country... in India we all can go anywhere we want... you are like Raj Thakary I see...!!!

why dont uighurs go to other parts of china..?

and slowly they are not becoming minority... they are becoming chinese nationals... :)

India and China have just same problems... keep this in mind... :)

in India we are facing same problem... we should learn from that incident... we need more national integration.... or we will have such attacks on civilians...

By WILLIAM FOREMAN and GILLIAN WONG – 1 hour ago

The Associated Press: Some Urumqi mosques open for Friday prayers

URUMQI, China (AP) — Several mosques in riot-hit Urumqi opened for Friday prayers, despite notices posted earlier saying they would be closed in the wake of ethnic violence that left 156 dead.

It was not immediately clear if there was a change of policy or if the mosques were opened because crowds gathered outside them. The Friday afternoon prayers are a focal point of the week for the minority Muslim Uighurs.

At the White mosque, one of the most popular places to worship in the large Uighur neighborhood of Er Dao Qiao, about 100 men argued with guards, demanding that they be allowed in for prayers.

A Uighur policeman guarding the mosque, who would not give his name, said: "We decided to open the mosque because so many people had gathered. We did not want an incident."

Kaishar, a 23-year-old car salesman, said his heart ached when he first saw the gates to the mosque.

"There was no reason to shut the gate. They said it was for our safety but actually there is no need, nothing will happen here. On a day of prayer things are not supposed to be messed with," said Kaishar, with a red prayer mat folded under his arm.

It was not known if all the mosques across the city of 2.3 million people were opened.

Notices had been posted at the mosques saying they would be closed, and an official, who refused to give her name, said they would not be open for "the sake of public safety" after widespread ethnic violence between Uighurs (pronounced WEE-ger) and the majority Han Chinese.

Up the street a few blocks from the White mosque was the Yang Hang mosque, where in the morning a white notice was glued to the front gate saying it would be closed for prayers.

But the notice was taken down and hundreds of men were streaming into the place of worships clutching their green and red and blue prayer mats.

The scene was peaceful and there was no sign of the heavy police presence that has been patrolling the streets this week.

The violence in Urumqi (pronounced uh-ROOM-chee) began Sunday when Uighurs clashed with police while protesting deaths of Uighur factory workers in a brawl in another part of the country. The crowd then scattered throughout Urumqi, attacking Han Chinese, burning cars and smashing windows. Riot police tried to restore order, and officials said 156 people were killed and more than 1,100 were injured.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Urumqi Muslims Defy Closed Mosque to Pray After Riots (Update1)
Share | Email | Print | A A A

Urumqi Muslims Defy Closed Mosque to Pray After Riots (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

By Bloomberg News

July 10 (Bloomberg) -- About 200 worshippers forced their way into Urumqi’s largest mosque, defying an order to stay home as authorities sought to maintain calm in the northwestern Chinese city after the worst ethnic violence in 60 years.

Three days of rioting and communal clashes between Muslim Uighurs and ethnic Chinese in the capital of the westernmost province of Xinjiang forced President Hu Jintao to cut short his trip to the Group of Eight summit in Italy. At least 25,000 security personnel were deployed to stop the ethnic clashes.

There was no sermon and after about 10 minutes of prayers the service was cut short and worshippers began to file out. On a typical Friday, the holiest day of the week in Islam, as many as 3,000 people pray at the mosque, overflowing into the courtyard and out of the gates, said its director Haji Bekele.

“We were afraid something horrible would happen if too many people gathered in one place,” said Bekele, director of the mosque for five years. “Protecting the worshippers was our only motivation,” he said, adding that this was the first time he could remember the mosque closing on a Friday.

The Chinese military is enforcing an uneasy truce in the capital of China’s westernmost territory, separating ethnic Hans and Uighurs from each other after July 5 clashes left at least 156 people dead and more than 800 injured.

At 2:00 p.m., about 200 worshippers who’d been gathering in the Tartar Mosque’s courtyard forced their way through the entrance. A handwritten sign on the mosque’s gates declaring today’s closure was ripped off.

Two dozen police officers were lined up outside the mosque gates, standing guard in black uniform and full riot gear.

The Urumqi government denied it had ordered mosques to close or telling Muslims, which make up about a fifth of the city’s 2.4 million residents, to pray at home today.

The closure was recommended by the mosques themselves, each one managed by a different committee of religious elders, Bekele said. A dozen of the largest mosques in the Urumqi neighborhood of Erdaoqiao met yesterday and decided they would close today because of the safety concerns, said Bekele, 59.

Back
Top Bottom