What's new

Current Tensions in Xinjiang-China

Well, The World Uighur Congress, the mastermind behind the event published different (false) account on the event. This group has HQ in Washington DC, and got money from US government.

Well, The World Uighur Congress, the mastermind behind the event published different (false) account on the event. This group has HQ in Washington DC, and got money from US government.

Rabiye%20xanim%20%20Bush%20bilen%20ayrim.jpg

World Uyghur Congress | Bush meets China's exiled Uighur leader (2007.06.07)

rebia khatun not in Iran, Pakistan, dubai... but in washington.... hmmm... golmal hai bhai sab gol mal he... :)

han people are very angry.... they say govt is too much soft... they hunting for uighur people on streets... the uighurs in police custody are safe.... but those not in custody.... god help them...

i am angry and yes the govn. is toooooo soft but i don't think the majority of Han group would do the same thing that some stupid group of Uighur did in Sunday.

it has been said about thousands of han people(even including children and women) walk on to street hand in hand,some with some home-made weapons for a demonstration ______ and express their dis-consant to the govn. for its' failure in protecting the citizens and at the same time there were about 200 uighur women with children calling for freeing their relatives but basically speaking military policemen make sure that all the demonstrations goes peacefully and no more blood and death. and after a call for pease and faith of the govn. by the party chief of xinjiang, today there are only a few demonstrations of Han citizens。

н®Ãñ×å¹Øϵ¶ñ»¯ ººÈ˳ֹ÷ÉϽÖ

you should say that you r an indian Muslim to make it work,i have Xinjiang friends too,and we all know what problem China face.

you r more like a spokesman of india

This is from travel experience. ------------- yes .who will write travel experience,in this way, where you travle,internet?
hahahah you are funny but good Thanks to you lol:taz::rofl::rofl::china::pakistan:

By Hu Yinan, Lei Xiaoxun and Zhao Huanxin (China Daily)
Updated: 2009-07-08 07:40
Comments(0) PrintMail

Officials appeal for calm

0a8fc7a8319dd424e09b1ab1b7ae6899.jpg

URUMQI: Xinjiang authorities declared a traffic curfew in the regional capital from 9 pm last night to 8 am today as part of heightened measures to quell escalating violence.

The move came after chaos hit the city again yesterday afternoon, less than two days after a riot in which 156 people were killed and more than 1,000 injured.

As of yesterday, more than 209 shops were damaged and 260 vehicles, including 11 belonging to the police, were torched.

"The casualty rate and loss from this incident are the most severe in Xinjiang since the establishment of the People's Republic of China," the city's Party chief, Li Zhi, told a press conference yesterday.

Officials appeal for calm

"This is not a single, ethnic issue. The violence has not only impeached the peace and order of Xinjiang, it has also ignited anger among people," Urumqi Mayor Jerla Isamudin said.

Many countries, including the United States, the United Kingdom and Turkey condoled the loss of life.

Attacks on Chinese embassies on Monday in the Netherlands and Germany by mobs that included people demanding an independent "Eastern Turkestan" were condemned by the Foreign Ministry yesterday.

Spokesman Qin Gang said both countries pledged to protect the buildings and staff.

Police in Urumqi have arrested 1,434 suspects in connection with Sunday evening's riot, according to official sources.

Li Yi, head of the publicity department of the Party's Xinjiang regional committee, said yesterday that the suspects were made up of 1,379 men and 55 women.

"The police have started interrogating the suspects," Li said, adding that those who were found not to be involved in the riot would be released.

Wang Lequan, Party secretary of the Xinjiang regional committee, in a televised speech, urged ethnic groups to avoid confrontation in a region where Han Chinese make up about 40 percent of the population, with 47 other ethnic groups including the Uygur, Hui, Kazak and Mongolian forming the rest.

But several thousand protesters marched on Youhao and Guangming streets toward Erdaoqiao Road in downtown Urumqi yesterday afternoon, Xinhua reported.

Holding clubs, knives, axes and hammers, they shouted: "Protecting our homes! Protecting our family members!"

They were stopped by units of armed police and no clashes were reported.

Li Zhi, the Urumqi Party chief, rushed to the scene at about 4:30 pm to appease them.

"Uygur people and Han Chinese are brothers and sisters, we are a family," the official said through a loudspeaker, while repeatedly asking the crowds to disperse .

Many of the protesters began to persuade others to refrain from extreme action, "otherwise those who instigated the deadly Sunday violence would be very happy to see more unrest", a man said while listening to Li.

The crowds spontaneously sang the national anthem and most gradually dispersed in about 40 minutes.

However, more than 50 of them, armed with shovels and wooden sticks, started marching toward Longquan Street, where a well-known Uygur residential area is located and police vehicles were torched on Sunday night.

More than 70 police officers arrived at the scene, and fired rubber bullets to bring the situation under control.

Wang said such confrontations were "entirely unnecessary".

"Everyone should keep a clear mind. It's pointless and heartbreaking if the Han ethnic group target innocent Uygur people," he said.

"Even the families of those who participated in the riots are innocent. We should keep a sober mind and not fall into the trap of our enemies. We should not target our ethnic sisters and brothers."

Before the appeal for calm, groups of Uygurs staged protests yesterday morning, against the hopes of many in the capital for life to return to normal soon.

At least 200 took to the streets of downtown Urumqi at about 10:30 am yesterday, during a visit by a group of foreign reporters.

They were reportedly demanding the release of family members whom they said had been taken away by authorities on Monday night.

The authorities are sparing no efforts to protect the security of the people from all ethnic backgrounds, Li said.

More than 1,000 contingency medical squads have been dispatched and more than 20 local hospitals have been designated as part of rescue efforts, authorities said.

"All the injured have received the best medical treatment," Wang said.

The government will support and compensate bereaved families and help restore the businesses of those who suffered losses, he said.

Li said the authorities also had "solid evidence" that Rebiya Kadeer, the leader of the separatist World Uygur Congress, suspected of instigating the attacks, used the Internet and other forms of networks to mobilize rioters.

The government has put temporary restrictions on the Internet and other communication networks.

"Everything will be restored soon after the situation becomes stable," Li said.

Xinhua contributed to the story

i am angry and yes the govn. is toooooo soft but i don't think the majority of Han group would do the same thing that some stupid group of Uighur did in Sunday.

it has been said about thousands of han people(even including children and women) walk on to street hand in hand,some with some home-made weapons for a demonstration ______ and express their dis-consant to the govn. for its' failure in protecting the citizens and at the same time there were about 200 uighur women with children calling for freeing their relatives but basically speaking military policemen make sure that all the demonstrations goes peacefully and no more blood and death. and after a call for pease and faith of the govn. by the party chief of xinjiang, today there are only a few demonstrations of Han citizens。

н®Ãñ×å¹Øϵ¶ñ»¯ ººÈ˳ֹ÷ÉϽÖ

i cant imagine Israelis in place of Han people.... if uighurs do same in my country India.... no uighur will be left alive... we dont tolerate terrorism... :)

The purpose of the post of the pictures and my argues here is to reveal the truth and disclose some misleading imformation set out by some(maybe all of) west media to the pakistani and indian friends.

in my opinion Han is peacing loving people and we wouldn't turn the spear of revenge to the uighur group and even to the close relatives of the extremests and criminals who are also our countrymen and brothers,

because
By far i still have faith with the authority that the criminals will be punished according to the law
and the mainstream of uighur groups are not with the extremists
and there are something must be done to prevent tradgedies like the one in last sunday from happening again.

besides i hope this post will help many old friends on this forum to have a better understanding about what happened in urumqi and i would say your understanding and support is of great value and importance to people in deep grief and sorrow.

President Hu shortens visit to Italy and goes back home

President Hu shortens visit to Italy and goes back home
By Sun Shangwu (chinadaily.com.cn)
Updated: 2009-07-08 07:15
Comments(11) PrintMail

FLORENCE, Italy: The situation in Xinjiang has shortened President Hu Jintao's visit to Italy and he will be absent at the summit meeting between the Group of Eight (G8) industrialized nations and five emerging developing countries in the central Italian city of L'Aquila.

He left Italy for Beijing this morning after concluding the State visit to the country.

His leave is days ahead of schedule because of the riots in Xinjiang, according to the Foreign Ministry.

A total of 156 people died and a further 1,000-odd were injured in the riot Sunday evening in Urumqi, capital of northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.

The riot is described as the "deadliest riot since New China was founded in 1949."

Rioters burned 261 motor vehicles, including 190 buses, at least 10 taxis and two police cars, according to Liu Yaohua, the region's police chief.

President Hu arrived in Rome on Sunday to start his State visit to Italy. According to the original plan, he will attend the meeting between the leaders of the G8 major industrial nations and five main developing economies from July 8-10 in the central Italian city of L'Aquila. And then, President Hu will also visit Portugal from July 10-12.

State Councillor Dai Bingguo will represent Hu to attend the session, according to the Foreign Ministry.

And the Chinese and Portugal governments will discuss the date of Hu's State visit at some other time.

The G8 nations are Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, Canada and the United States, while the G5 includes China, India, Brazil, Mexico and South Africa.

it will be some dirty countris' wish if we are doing the stupid things.make Xinjiang better,make china stronger ,nothing is impossible if our 56 ethnics are hanging together

it will be some dirty countris' wish if we are doing the stupid things.make Xinjiang better,make china stronger ,nothing is impossible if our 56 ethnics are hanging together

but a lot of things must to be done to confort the souls of the dead and the hearts of the survivors and to protect all ethnic groups in the region from the threat of terrorists.

Some improvements in ethnic pollacy are needed, the uighur groups need help to be more competitive in economic fields and merged in the main stream of the society.

Last edited:

aimarraul - its not the big problem - a coutnry with 56 ethnics living in peace . a little tussel is bound to happen every now and then. i dont think these situation are very much common in china. except a few - but with a big population of china - i think Chinese government is handling them very well by limiting these situations.

the thing is : china is infact facing way less ethnic violance than any body. and thats the reason for strong china.

oct605032048 ...I like you ..you seem to be sensible and truthful

Now to answer your questions
1 i don't like some progress of cctv and what's more i sometimes take the news reported by cctv as a new news for it represent the thoughts of the authorty. but it is not the point of my post . Yes we need a more free press but Save your words on cctv though we may share the same attitude towards these magnus press and i'm not the one who throw stones.

So you agree with me that CCTV is a tool of Chinese propaganda.
Well just like I would call DD 1 2 3 4 ....00 a propaganda tool of GOI. (Many of my fellow indian member may disagree) you will never see any one of them posting links from DD 1.

Any way good for you.!

2 the less-free environment of press in china dosen't automatically garantee that all the west reports are correct .

Agreed
They try to make the best what they have.
You can't blame them.
Why is it that only communist countries blame them.?

For example Mumbai 26/11.This was telecast ed live in CNN BBC GEO ARY and god know how many channels.... the Govt. of India did not block them,and neither did they blame them for 26/11 ... did they?

Did the pakistani govt blame CNN/BBC/GEO/ARY for Mariot bombings or its coverage?

All I am trying to say is PRC should let foreign media person come to china and allow them to go about the place of riot and give the world the reports of what is happening down there.

As long as they (PRC) does not allow this all the world media will keep speculating and Chinese image will go down in front of the world.

Don't blame me for posting links from BBC or CNN.Blame PRC.
I do the best i can with the best i have.
Especially when it comes to the report in china. because we get imformation not only from the TV but also from other souses. the net, though it is been censored it provide an pretty fast an free way of knowledge; the eyes of mine and my friends, school mates,collegues, relatives and so on。 of course we know what happens here better than the one set by the coffee machine in building of BBC 10 thousand miles away. Please do not hold these ideas that all the people in china are stupid enough too be cheated neither by the party or by other institutes such as XCC and CXX.

Sorry dear i think BBC and CNN are a better source of information than source of information than you and your friends

No offence meant

If you find my post offensive blame your Chinese to English dictionary.
I am trying to be nice :D

and i would say your understanding and support is of great value and importance to people in deep grief and sorrow.

and here we go..... :)

Russia says China Xinjiang riots internal affair

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia on Wednesday put its support firmly behind China, saying violent clashes in China's northwestern region of Xinjiang were a purely internal affair.

Chinese President Hu Jintao has abandoned plans to attend a G8 summit in Italy, returning home early to deal with ethnic violence that has killed at least 156 in Xinjiang.

"Using separatist slogans and provoking ethnic intolerance, the initiators of the disorder attacked citizens and beat them, turned over cars and torched them and looted shops and other buildings," Russia's Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

"We would like to confirm that Russia views the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region as an inalienable part of the People's Republic of China and considers that events there are purely the internal affair of China," the foreign ministry said.

"We hope that the actions, which taken within the bounds of the law, by the Chinese authorities to support order in the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region will allow the situation to be swiftly normalised," the ministry said.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov expressed his condolences to the relatives of those killed during a phone conversation on Tuesday with his Chinese counterpart Jang Jiechi, the ministry stated in a separate release.

Russia says China Xinjiang riots internal affair | International | Reuters

:)

Most noticeable thing in behaviour of chinese gov. was tht this time they fully allowed international news teams to report,CNN was reporting from Ürümqi!,they Uyghurs were attacking Han Chinese folks when riots started and next day Han Chinese were out on streets with bats and sticks to revenge!

Back
Top Bottom