What's new

Creation of Bangladesh: Shining Moment or Strategic Blunder

What have the Bharati learned so far... You can divide us by deception but you can not take out Islam from Muslims. :smokin:

Bharati are disliked by us many reasons and we will never treat you like brother no matter what you do while Pakistanis will be given brotherly treatment even if they do nothing for us. It's Islamic thing. Faster you understand, better it would be for you. :cool:

Apart from religious point of view, do you have any other logic sir? :hitwall: All the discussions finally end up with a religious angle. This won't do well for your country, south Asia or the entire world. To make the world a better place, focus more on development, education & health for your country. The greatest religion is to be true to your own nature.

I'm not sure if the percentage of Turk population was that great. Bengalis still are an amalgam of Indo-Arayan, Dravidian and Austro-Asiatic. The Semetic footprint is not there or very less to be accountable.

AFAIK, the conversion as that happened was different than North-West India and more similar to South India. A sizable population was already Buddhist and discriminated in the rigid caste system that had been followed during Sen Dynasty. Islam was the way out for them and they embraced it without the need of sword.

In the course of time we will still see revivalist and reformatory actions in Hinduism itself by Sri Chaitanya, Bramha Samaj, Sri Ramkrishna etc. Historically Bhaktibad and Sufism enjoyed more preference in Bengal's social life.

To understand the immigration from the central asia to Bengal, a person needs to examine the entire political history of Bengal in the muslim era. It is not possible for me to elaborate here on this vast subject. Please read many of the old history books written in Persian to understand the political process and thus the process of immigration.

There were immigrations not only from the west, but also from Ethiopia/Eritria and Arabia. And do not get a surprise when I say that there was a Negro Muslim Dynasty in Bengal. History is not to be imagined nor it is a make-believe thing. It must be studied thoroughly before someone comes to a specific conclusion.

My question is, was there any bar or taboo in those days for not accepting any muslims from other countries, or even Hindus from other parts of Hindustan? If not, then why someone should think naively that that there were no Muslim immigration from the poor regions of asia to a rich region of Muslim dominated Bengal when the situation here was so coductive?

Do not forget that Bengal was the richest region in entire Hindustan. It used to produce one-third of the total wealth. Read Abul Fazal's Ain-i-Akbari to know that. Perhaps, it will surprise you to read also that this is why the Mughals fought a 30 yr war to wrest control of this province. The war started during the reign of Akber in 1570s and ended during the time of his son Jahangir in 1605/6.

@Joe Shearer, this long war is just one of many many reasons that west Bengal became less muslim and east Bengal became more muslim.

Even today, people move from one region to another, from one country to another just to make a better living. But, Indians always object to the historical fact that there were bulks of Muslim immigrations to the entire Hindustan through many centuries. It was all over India, but it was more in Bengal. I am talking about Bengal in its historical perspective, but, you are thinking of a Bengal which is very poor today. This is why your vision is blurred.

Look at the languages Hindi/Urdu/Bangla to see the footprints of all those muslim immigrants in historical times.

To understand the immigration from the central asia to Bengal, a person needs to examine the entire political history of Bengal in the muslim era. It is not possible for me to elaborate here on this vast subject. Please read many of the old history books written in Persian to understand the political process and thus the process of immigration.

There were immigrations not only from the west, but also from Ethiopia/Eritria and Arabia. And do not get a surprise when I say that there was a Negro Muslim Dynasty in Bengal. History is not to be imagined nor it is a make-believe thing. It must be studied thoroughly before someone comes to a specific conclusion.

My question is, was there any bar or taboo in those days for not accepting any muslims from other countries, or even Hindus from other parts of Hindustan? If not, then why someone should think naively that that there were no Muslim immigration from the poor regions of asia to a rich region of Muslim dominated Bengal when the situation here was so coductive?

Do not forget that Bengal was the richest region in entire Hindustan. It used to produce one-third of the total wealth. Read Abul Fazal's Ain-i-Akbari to know that. Perhaps, it will surprise you to read also that this is why the Mughals fought a 30 yr war to wrest control of this province. The war started during the reign of Akber in 1570s and ended during the time of his son Jahangir in 1605/6.

You mean the Khoja kings, yes I know about them. Refrain using the word Negro, it's an offensive word(It's not racist when a black use it to his kinsman, but although some Pakistanis might consider us as black, blacks still don't do :(. Anyway Khojas were courtier of Mughal and Nabwabs and not exactly natural immigration.

Once again there had been immigration to Indian and to Bengal, but majority of population who embraced Islam were natives.

i have a huge problem with this article; it's quite shallow in its analysis

first of all, from the time of partition I think the ethnic Bengalis had opted for their own seperate identity; the turn of events leading to independence was tumultuous and saddening, but in the end it was the result and everyone accepts it by now

the author states that by creating Bangladesh, [they] ''have made an implacable enemy of Pakistan for whom Balkanisation of India by whatever means has become an article of faith.''

rest assured, the average Pakistani --even older generations dont view Bangladesh as an ''enemy'' I don't subscribe to this idea; that is beyond absurd. The Bengalis will always be our brothers/sisters. We wish the best for them, they wish the best for us.

LoL. Just noticed this article was written for Indian ''Defence Review''

figures....:lol:

@Joe Shearer, this long war is just one of many many reasons that west Bengal became less muslim and east Bengal became more muslim.

Even today, people move from one region to another, from one country to another just to make a better living. But, Indians always object to the historical fact that there were bulks of Muslim immigrations to the entire Hindustan through many centuries. It was all over India, but it was more in Bengal. I am talking about Bengal in its historical perspective, but, you are thinking of a Bengal which is very poor today. This is why your vision is blurred.

Look at the languages Hindi/Urdu/Bangla to see the footprints of all those muslim immigrants in historical times.

Let's see if we can take this apart methodically and arrive at some conclusions. You will have to give me four to six hours from now to start.

i have a huge problem with this article; it's quite shallow in its analysis

first of all, from the time of partition I think the ethnic Bengalis had opted for their own seperate identity; the turn of events leading to independence was tumultuous and saddening, but in the end it was the result and everyone accepts it by now

the author states that by creating Bangladesh, [they] ''have made an implacable enemy of Pakistan for whom Balkanisation of India by whatever means has become an article of faith.''

rest assured, the average Pakistani --even older generations dont view Bangladesh as an ''enemy'' I don't subscribe to this idea; that is beyond absurd. The Bengalis will always be our brothers/sisters. We wish the best for them, they wish the best for us.

The article's toxic; you noted it was written for Indian Defence Review. I hope nobody's views at that place, whatever it is, or at any other place, is formed by crap like this.

You mean the Khoja kings, yes I know about them. Refrain using the word Negro, it's an offensive word(It's not racist when a black use it to his kinsman, but although some Pakistanis might consider us as black, blacks still don't do :(. Anyway Khojas were courtier of Mughal and Nabwabs and not exactly natural immigration.

Once again there had been immigration to Indian and to Bengal, but majority of population who embraced Islam were natives.
I am not exactly talking about Khoja king, who was just a palace attendant. He took the title of probably Sultan Shahjada or something I do not exactly remember. I was talking about the Abisinia origin Sultan Muzaffar Shah.

He was the army Chief of Bengal, and Bengal had allowed immigration of these Abisinians. About 8,000 of them were recruited in the military. Their total population was no less than 80,000.

Khoja was deposed and killed by Malik Amber, who upon taking over the Sultante named himself Sultan Muzaffar Shah. Muzaffar Shah was again deposed and killed by his first generation Arab PM Hossein Shah. Most of the Abisinians were forced to retire to south India.

Indians typically desist any suggestion that there were muslim immigration in the sub-continent as if all those muslims were made of gold and silver, and the present day muslims are trying just to prove they are of higher origin. Thing is, no one born and brought up in these lands are foreigners any more, and they themselves are now seeking menial jobs in the Arab lands.

The muslim immigrants were rather poor and were seeking fortune in a new and prosperous land. Hindustan and Bengal in particular were such lands. Bengal govt allocated farm land to any one who sought it, because the population was very low in those days.

But, it was not that the govt did not allow any Hindu to settle in Bengal. An additional family meant the raise of agriculture production, and the increase of govt revenues. It was same as it was with USA or Australia a few decades before.

You may read one book written by Khandker Fazle Rabbi. He was a Estate Manager for Murshidabad Nawab (Mir Zafar's descendents). The book is "Haqiqat-e-Musalman-e-Bangal." There are English and Bengali translations as well. These are The Musalmans of Bengal and Banglar Musalman.

He had all the documents to prove that there were considerable settlements of Pathans and Mughals in Bengal, who ultimately lost their identities and became known as just Bangali Muslims.

I need more time to compose a reply to you Eastwatch.

Just one thing, there are still sizable population of Pathan decedents in parts of Bihar. Remember during those days, Bihar was also included in Bengal sultanat. Some of them migrated to East Pakistan after partition. But they maintained an independent and strong identity of their own which is not that of Bengal.

@eastwatch

It is possible to engage in a discussion on historical matters, on any matter whatsoever, on any subject whatsoever, without imputing motives or hidden agenda to another discussant.

If this general proposition is acceptable to you, I submit another, more specific, proposition: I have no motives or hidden agenda in arguing that the bulk of Muslims in Bengal were native converts, and that only an insignificant number were migrants.

A corollary to the theorem: I have an open mind, and given suitable evidence, am willing to be persuaded.

If you believe that this is not so, then you will understand that there is no discussion possible, where a discussion implies an attempt to understand each other's views, and even to evaluate each other's views for acceptability within a given framework of reference. Instead of a discussion, there will be a sterile series of statements of our respective points of view, ending with frustration and a disengagement due to stalemate.

We can continue if you wish, but from my side, I will neither indulge in one-sided polemic, nor engage with one-sided polemicists. Do let me know if you disagree violently.

This is interesting but in an undergraduate programme in India in the late 60s, there was not much scope for studying original sources in the vernacular. I am afraid reading the sources in Persian is beyond me.

A bare minimum programme would be the names of the books that you have in mind.

If you are aware of any good translations of these, even better; please let me know.

I do not know about a dynasty, but know that there were individual kings of African stock.

It is very reassuring to hear that history must be studied thoroughly before someone comes to a specific conclusion. In that case, you will agree to allow time for your views and their premises, and their authorities and references, to be studied thoroughly before we come to a specific conclusion.

No, none whatever. There was no question of this migration issue except in the indirect context of discussion on how conversion happened.

The Hindutva view, a pessimistic view, which nevertheless holds true for certain parts of the country, was that conversion happened by conquest, and subsequent application of troublesome, asymmetric laws to the conquered population, leading to conversions to escape oppression.

The liberal view, an optimistic view, is that irrespective of what happened in other parts of the country, in the cases of Kerala and the Bengal hinterland, most conversion took place due to the evangelical zeal of traders who preached Islam, and won people over with their preaching of what was then an enlightened religion, offering people a very acceptable alternative to their existing religion.

You have outlined an interesting view that accounts for a significant section of the Muslim population as originating from migration into the country.

These three views together present elements of reality which should all be considered. Obviously, no one factor accounts for all of the population. Obviously, also, as you will no doubt readily acknowledge, the first two views have some currency in re Bengal, and have detailed information relating to them. You have cited Persian documents and books of history; unless we have had a chance to examine them, and to get an evaluation of their worth and their context, surely we are not required to accept them at the level of pontifical infallibility. You have quoted your sources in general; once you quote them in specific, we can come to some conclusion.

Until such time, you must understand that all we can do is to note your novel views with interest.

I have read what you have said and will bear it in mind. If in the middle of the night, it should occur to me why a region which lay fallow and from which land grants of rich, arable land could be made readily should account for such a major share, 1/3, of the revenue of Hindustan, I will make a note of it and will lose no time in informing you. The rest of Hindustan was presumably in worse case than Bengal, to produce through the rest of the Gangetic Plain only twice as much as Bengal.

As I have said, I note your observations with interest, but would like a reasonable opportunity to validate these, before forming an opinion. It would be sad if the time taken leads to imputations of any kind.

The logic thoroughly escapes me.

A long war is waged. The bulk of the war takes place in one, the western part of a province. That part is found at the end to harbour less professing the religion of the winner than the part where the war had hardly any effect.

In other words, Mughal operations reduced the comparative share of the Muslims in the population of West Bengal, and left undisturbed the greater share in East Bengal. Difficult to fathom, to say the least.

I have only one explanation. That is that there was uniform migration into all parts of Bengal, not the areas closest to the migrants, but to all areas (farfetched, but let us assume so).

Now, in this situation of uniform and equal migration, war broke out. Its deleterious effects lowered - selectively - the Muslim population in the western portion of the province; the balance, in the east, was left untouched, at its previous high levels.

Let's try again. There was equal migration; a migrant from central Asia, from Samarkand or from Bukhara, came to seek land from Chittagong in indifference to whether it was in Chittagong or in Dinajpur. The war broke out; migration to western Bengal dried up or shrank, migration to eastern Bengal continued, for 30 years.

I know that the Nawab bari of Dhaka were merchants from Kashmir. I know that there are other settler families. I also know that there are genealogical studies showing that there are absolutely no differences in terms of DNA among different settlers in south Asia. The internet is afloat with references and there is not much point going into that.

It is interesting to note your observation that 'Indians' always object to the historical fact that there were bulks (sic) of Muslim immigrations to the entire Hindustan through many centuries.

I note with some interest that I am unconsciously part of a great mass movement in the academic world, and had never suspected being such a part.

I have already pointed out that DNA does not say anything in support of your curious thesis. It is not clear to me what looking at Bengal in its historical perspective and looking at Bengal which is very poor today has to do with the matter, unless in a roundabout way, your argument is that since Bengal was rich, very rich, almost twice as rich as any comparable part of Hindustan, there was preferential migration here rather than to other parts of India.

Again, it is amazing that your zeal and enthusiasm fails to take into account that if this were the case, then migrants from Bihar and Oudh and Kanauj, even migrants from Mewat and the Eastern, cis-Sutlej Punjab would have crowded here in greater numbers, far greater than migrants from the steppes of Central Asia.

Yes, this is clearly very important for you. Unfortunately, I am unable to agree.

While Bangla was taking in loan words from other languages used solely by one community - pani for jal, chirag for pradip and the whole lexicon which is so well known - Upper India was forming an entire language in an amalgam of Hindi grammar and Turkish, Persian and Arabic nouns and verbs.

I suggest that you allow these claims of yours, and your authorities and references to be checked, before we continue this discussion any further. And I also suggest that we deal with such things rationally, not at the level of faith.

Last edited:
I am not exactly talking about Khoja king, who was just a palace attendant. He took the title of probably Sultan Shahjada or something I do not exactly remember. I was talking about the Abisinia origin Sultan Muzaffar Shah.

He was the army Chief of Bengal, and Bengal had allowed immigration of these Abisinians. About 8,000 of them were recruited in the military. Their total population was no less than 80,000.

Khoja was deposed and killed by Malik Amber, who upon taking over the Sultante named himself Sultan Muzaffar Shah. Muzaffar Shah was again deposed and killed by his first generation Arab PM Hossein Shah. Most of the Abisinians were forced to retire to south India.

Indians typically desist any suggestion that there were muslim immigration in the sub-continent as if all those muslims were made of gold and silver, and the present day muslims are trying just to prove they are of higher origin. Thing is, no one born and brought up in these lands are foreigners any more, and they themselves are now seeking menial jobs in the Arab lands.

The muslim immigrants were rather poor and were seeking fortune in a new and prosperous land. Hindustan and Bengal in particular were such lands. Bengal govt allocated farm land to any one who sought it, because the population was very low in those days.

But, it was not that the govt did not allow any Hindu to settle in Bengal. An additional family meant the raise of agriculture production, and the increase of govt revenues. It was same as it was with USA or Australia a few decades before.

You may read one book written by Khandker Fazle Rabbi. He was a Estate Manager for Murshidabad Nawab (Mir Zafar's descendents). The book is "Haqiqat-e-Musalman-e-Bangal." There are English and Bengali translations as well. These are The Musalmans of Bengal and Banglar Musalman.

He had all the documents to prove that there were considerable settlements of Pathans and Mughals in Bengal, who ultimately lost their identities and became known as just Bangali Muslims.

This is useful, and it is desirable that there should be more such input than angry attempts at beating down scepticism or hesitation to accept an untested, un-validated idea.

I read somewhere but cant recall the source that about 20% of the Muslim in Bengal are migrant even though they are now intermixed with the local population. If you guys ever pay visit in Chittagong/Noakhali region then you will easily see the facial features of the people which could telll you that they are not the original inhabitant of the Bengal. Also in the first census of 19th century even the british officials were surprised seeing that Chittagong Noakhali etc. region are muslim majority which were never anticipated. Most of the immirants in that regions are from Arabs and not directly related to the Pathan or anybody from Central asian worrior.

Again I still believe its the Buddhist factor which made the Bengal a muslim majority not the immigrant. Otherwise where did all those Buddhist gone. They just can not disappear in the thin air.

I read somewhere but cant recall the source that about 20% of the Muslim in Bengal are migrant even though they are now intermixed with the local population. If you guys ever pay visit in Chittagong/Noakhali region then you will easily see the facial features of the people which could telll you that they are not the original inhabitant of the Bengal. Also in the first census of 19th century even the british officials were surprised seeing that Chittagong Noakhali etc. region are muslim majority which were never anticipated. Most of the immirants in that regions are from Arabs and not directly related to the Pathan or anybody from Central asian worrior.

Exactly the same situation as in the same conditions of Kerala.

Centuries of contact due to trade, a certain degree of intermarriage, early introduction of Islam by traders and large numbers of conversions due to positive local factors.

Again I still believe its the Buddhist factor which made the Bengal a muslim majority not the immigrant. Otherwise where did all those Buddhist gone. They just can not disappear in the thin air.

Of course they converted; they had 0 incentive to stay Buddhist under pressure by the Hindu upper castes.

But isn't it hard to imagine that Arab immigrants in such a large number crossed whole subcontinent and settled in Eastern part Bengal, and left no footmarks of them in rest of India. There's no Semitic linage in Indians, or too minute to be accountable. It would have changed the whole language, cuisines, way of living -- everything.

Consider this, poet King of Awadh exiled in Calcutta and brought scores of cooks along with him, thus hailing a total revolution of Bengali cuisines and now we have Sirajs and Aminias all over the places!

Or even the ethnic Chinese living in Kolkata and Chow-min becoming synonym to Bengali fast-food! I don't see any such effect of middle-easterns in Bengal.

But isn't it hard to imagine that Arab immigrants in such a large number crossed whole subcontinent and settled in Eastern part Bengal, and left no footmarks of them in rest of India. There's no Semitic linage in Indians, or too minute to be accountable. It would have changed the whole language, cuisines, way of living -- everything.

Consider this, poet King of Awadh exiled in Calcutta and brought scores of cook along with him, thus hailing a total revolution of Bengali cuisines and now we have Sirajs and Aminias all over the places!

Or even the ethnic Chinese living in Kolkata and Chow-min becoming synonym to Bengali fast-food! I don't see any such effect of middle-easterns in Bengal.

Well they came through Sea and they did put their mark in Kerala as Joe mentioned. They are the same flock who also put their mark in Malaysia and Indonesia. They are the Arab traders. Rohingya bengali of Myanmar still use the Arabic script. They are the migrant from Qatar.

Well they came through Sea and they did put their mark in Kerala as Joe mentioned. They are the same flock who also put their mark in Malaysia and Indonesia. They are the Arab traders. Rohingya bengali of Myanmar still use the Arabic script. They are the migrant from Qatar.

An interesting book you might like to look at is "Rome Beyond the Imperial Frontiers" by Brigadier Sir Mortimer Wheeler. It was a Pelican book, and I really don't know if it is still in print. I keep re-reading it every ten years or so, and discovering something new!

Or if you prefer fiction, try Amitava Ghosh, "In an Antique Land".

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom