What's new

Creation of Bangladesh: Shining Moment or Strategic Blunder

I as a Sylheti differ with you about the arrival of Hazrat Shah Jalal in Sylhet. The story such that Sheikh Burhan Uddin sacrificed a cow secretly for his son Akika but the then Hindu king Gour Gavinda found out and ordered to kill Sheikh son while imprisoned him.

This inhuman action of Gour some how reached to Moinuddin Chisti of Ajmir. Hazrat Shah Jalal happen to be in Hindustan to spread the light of Islam. He was either requested by Moinuddin Chisti or Nazim Uddin of Delhi to rescue Sheikh and other Muslims from the tyranny of Hindu king. :angry:

He arrived in Sylhet with 360 disciples and fought against the Hindu king. He not only liberate Sylhet form the tyrant but decided to stay and spread the light of Quran and Sunnah. :tup:

Saints of Chittagong none other than the disciples of Shah Jalal. :)

I deeply apologize for the inadvertent mistake of placing wrong information in the post that I have sent earlier. You have correctly said that Shaikh Shahjalal with his 360 foreign born disciples came to Sylhet on land route via north India.

The Moroccan traveler Ibn Batuta was the person who disembarked in Chittagong and then traveled north to Sylhet only to meet this Muslim Saint. Somehow, I have mixed up this information with that of Shaikh Shahjalal himself. Sorry for that.

@integra, I have not encountered any account that says there was any land route to China through Bengal. Even the Chinese travelers used to come to Bengal via sea routes. By the way, Ibn Battuta has also described about the continuous migration of Muslim Arab people to the Paradise called Bengal. He traveled to Bengal sometime during 1340s (?).

Last edited:
'Rihla' was written by Moroccan traveler, Ibn Battuta, who had traveled to almost all the countries of the Muslim world, that also included Bengal. Based on Rihla, Ross E. Dunn has written a book named "The Adventures of Ibn Battuta."

In page No. 248 of this book, he wrote, "--------. And so, after staying in the Maldives only five days, he boarded a junk bound for Bengal.-----------".

"Sailing round the southern tip of Ceylon into the Bay of Bengal, Ibn Battuta was joining a SURGE of Muslim MIGRATION into the maritime lands of greater southeastern asia. The 14th was a century of bright opportunities for any BELIEVER seeking career, fortune, or spiritual self-mastery out beyond the frontier of Dar al-Islam, where the Sacred Law and the rightly guided society it embodied had yet to be introduced to benighted millions. It was the century, Islamic culture secured itself firmly in Bengal, ----------------------".

"---------- , Ibn Battuta decided first to visit Bengal. He probably had no trouble finding a vessel to take him there since the islanders carried on regular business with that region, importing quantities of rice from the Ganges Delta, ----------".

Excerpts from Page 253.

"---------------, Bengal in the 13th and early 14th centuries was a frontier of TURKISH arms and PERSIAN-style Islamic culture from the Indo-gangetic plain. but much UNLIKE THE CENTRAL PLATEU, Bengal was heavily populated, water-soaked garden of immense fertility. In the later 13th century the region was annexed to the Sultanate of Delhi. As Muslim governors and garrisons occupied the delta towns, IMMIGRANTS STREAMED in from the NORTHWEST, making Bengal the eastward overland terminus for the class of skilled and literate REFUGEES and their DESCENDENTS who had introduced Arabo-Persian civilization to India".

Excerpts from Page No. 254

"The Sultans of Delhi, however, found it exasperatingly difficult to hold master of their eastern front, ----------- . Consequently the local TURKISH lords, who built up riverine navies to ensure their own purely regional power repeatedly rebelled against Delhi. --------------".

"He probably disembarked at the busy eastern port of Chittagong, ---------- . He notes in the Rihla that foreigners liked to call Bengal "a hell crammed with good things."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above quotations from the chronologies of Ibn Battuta only prove that there cannot be any denying that many hundred thousands of Muslim immigrants from Arabia and also from the PARCHED lands of Indian nortwest and beyond had settled in Bengal and became Bangali Muslims in the course of time.

Up to this point I have not claimed anything that cannot be proved. I should not have raised this issue in an open Forum where every one thinks his pen is mightier than truth. This subject is a topic of discussion by the academicians, because they are willing to establish the truth.

Last edited:
I as a Sylheti differ with you about the arrival of Hazrat Shah Jalal in Sylhet. The story such that Sheikh Burhan Uddin sacrificed a cow secretly for his son Akika but the then Hindu king Gour Gavinda found out and ordered to kill Sheikh son while imprisoned him.

This inhuman action of Gour some how reached to Moinuddin Chisti of Ajmir. Hazrat Shah Jalal happen to be in Hindustan to spread the light of Islam. He was either requested by Moinuddin Chisti or Nazim Uddin of Delhi to rescue Sheikh and other Muslims from the tyranny of Hindu king. :angry:

He arrived in Sylhet with 360 disciples and fought against the Hindu king. He not only liberate Sylhet form the tyrant but decided to stay and spread the light of Quran and Sunnah. :tup:

Saints of Chittagong none other than the disciples of Shah Jalal. :)

Brother, there is no sainthood in Islam. :)

I understand your sentiment and I my self against the gathering around Kobor/Mazar of deceased but Aalim e din like Hazrat Shah Jalal certainly solder of Allah and Islam. He was a great Islamic scholar and warrior who travel all the way from Turkey to Bengal to spread Islam. As a result Bangladesh and certainly Shylet became paradise for Muslim thanks to Shah Jalal and 360 disciples. We must respect their deed and pray to Allah for blessing. :)

I understand your sentiment and I my self against the gathering around Kobor/Mazar of deceased but Aalim e din like Hazrat Shah Jalal certainly solder of Allah and Islam. He was a great Islamic scholar and warrior who travel all the way from Turkey to Bengal to spread Islam. As a result Bangladesh and certainly Shylet became paradise for Muslim. We must respect his deed and pray to Allah for blessing. :)

:tup::tup::tup:
Thank you for that clarification brother. The word "saint" just misled me, that's all. :)

'Rihla' was written by Moroccan traveler, Ibn Battuta, who had traveled to almost all the countries of the Muslim world, that also included Bengal. Based on Rihla, Ross E. Dunn has written a book named "The Adventures of Ibn Battuta."

In page No. 248 of this book, he wrote, "--------. And so, after staying in the Maldives only five days, he boarded a junk bound for Bengal.-----------".

"Sailing round the southern tip of Ceylon into the Bay of Bengal, Ibn Battuta was joining a SURGE of Muslim MIGRATION into the maritime lands of greater southeastern asia. The 14th was a century of bright opportunities for any BELIEVER seeking career, fortune, or spiritual self-mastery out beyond the frontier of Dar al-Islam, where the Sacred Law and the rightly guided society it embodied had yet to be introduced to benighted millions. It was the century, Islamic culture secured itself firmly in Bengal, ----------------------".

"---------- , Ibn Battuta decided first to visit Bengal. He probably had no trouble finding a vessel to take him there since the islanders carried on regular business with that region, importing quantities of rice from the Ganges Delta, ----------".

Excerpts from Page 253.

"---------------, Bengal in the 13th and early 14th centuries was a frontier of TURKISH arms and PERSIAN-style Islamic culture from the Indo-gangetic plain. but much UNLIKE THE CENTRAL PLATEU, Bengal was heavily populated, water-soaked garden of immense fertility. In the later 13th century the region was annexed to the Sultanate of Delhi. As Muslim governors and garrisons occupied the delta towns, IMMIGRANTS STREAMED in from the NORTHWEST, making Bengal the eastward overland terminus for the class of skilled and literate REFUGEES and their DESCENDENTS who had introduced Arabo-Persian civilization to India".

Excerpts from Page No. 254

"The Sultans of Delhi, however, found it exasperatingly difficult to hold master of their eastern front, ----------- . Consequently the local TURKISH lords, who built up riverine navies to ensure their own purely regional power repeatedly rebelled against Delhi. --------------".

"He probably disembarked at the busy eastern port of Chittagong, ---------- . He notes in the Rihla that foreigners liked to call "a hell crammed with good things."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above quotations from the chronologies of Ibn Battuta only prove that there cannot be any denying that many hundred thousands of Muslim immigrants from Arabia and also from the PARCHED lands of Indian nortwest and beyond had settled in Bengal and became Bangali Muslims in the course of time.

Up to this point I have not claimed anything that cannot be proved. I should not have raised this issue in an open Forum where every one thinks his pen is mightier than truth. This subject is a topic of discussion by the academicians, because they are willing to establish the truth.

Try to understand that the point is this - there was migration, but not in numbers that made a difference in the genetic composition. The proof is in our blood; test it, and you don't have to read these fanciful accounts, and then go on to misunderstand them. Even minor matters are distorted in your reading; the Central Plateau is the Deccan, not the Gangetic Plain, which is not a Plateau, and is not Central either.

If you have proof that the immigrants made a genetic discovery, bring it forward; don't make hollow claims of the general type,"If people came here, what is the proof that they didn't come in large numbers? And if they came in large numbers, what is the proof that we are not genetically moulded by those numbers?" That rather begs the question, doesn't it?

That is a hilarious self-justification, considering the totally non-academic approach, the complete lack of proof other than anecdotal evidence, the absence of hard numbers, the absence of genetic traces, indeed, the bazaar gossip kind of fashion in which the whole topic has been presented.

Creation of Bangladesh was the worst Bastardize's production of human era, by which imprisonment of 160 million people was ensured, who wouldn't have any future until they called it the 1000 yrs of Malaun's nurtured bluff.

Creation of Bangladesh was the worst Bastardize's production of human era, by which imprisonment of 160 million people was ensured, who wouldn't have any future until they called it the 1000 yrs of Malaun's nurtured bluff.

:cool:

I think Hasina is trying to find people like you. You live in a country and hate it!!!!

I don't understand why Mujib let those razakars to go through!!! :no:

u90462_tb_1987.gif

Type 1: example from Dacca (Dhaka), East Pakistan (now Bangladesh)

u90462_tb_3148.gif

Chittagong, East Pakistan (now Bangladesh)

Source: Blog - Tuberculosis stamps/seals/cinderella's - MyPhilately

THE WAY I SAW IT (PART ONE)

kILLING OF BEHARIES/NON BENGALIES

@ So far I heard since 1947 there were about 25/27 lacs of Beharies/non Bengalies migrated from India and settled in East Pakistan. With them many Industrialist like Isphahani, Adamjee,Daod, Latif Bawani etc came and invested money in the soil of East Pakistan. Since the people who came here were urdu speaking so naturally they prefer to employ the Beharies first instead of Bengalies. And within a short span of time all the important cities of the then East Pakistan Beharies played a very significant role. If we see in Dacca(Dhaka) in those days all the big electronic shops were owned by the Beharies. Be it in the transport sector, be it in the entertaiment sector,(most of the cinema halls of Dacca city were owned by the Beharies like Gulistan, Moon etc) be it in the railway sector, everywhere there were Biharies. You see the Muhammadpur and Mirpur at Dacca was created only for these refugees.

@ In many districts refugee camps were made for the Beharies like Mymensingh, Rangpur, Dinajpur, Saidpur, Halishore(Chittagong), Jessore, Khulna etc. Although many Bengali refugees also came but they quickly merged with the common people and it was hard to distinguish them from the other common people. Some of the refugees who came from Assam were also stayed in the refugee camp but soon most of them went back to India.

@ All these activities of the govt at one hand and on the other hand the sponsering of Beharies by the Non-Bengali industrialist created a big gap among the common Bengali people. During those days the common Bengali people were mostly "Ricshapuller" and "falwala" at the footpath of Dhaka. Bengalies were also in the industries but ofcourse at a lower grade. So, soon a rift between the Beharies and Bengalies started and it turned into riot among themselves. Many a time riots broke out among themselve at Narrangonj Adamjee Nagar where many Beharies as well as Bengalies died. It went into such an extent that the Central Govt (Pindi) dismissed the Provincial Govt of AK Fuzlul Haq of 1954 and imposed Governer's rule.

@ Finding no other way the rich families of non-Bengalies for the security reason applied to the govt to be settled in and around Dacca Cantonment. This was the reason today we find lot of civilians inside the Dacca Cantonment. Even you would find a "Sadar General Hospital", there.

The central Pakistan govt's policy was to rehabilitate the Muhajirs from India, be it in west or in east Pakistan. 35 million Bangalis in the east were certainly not all Rikshwalas, Tangawalas and Falwalas, but, almost every one of them weare farmers or peasants. On the other hand, the Muhajirs left everything they owned in India and escaped to Pakistan.

The local Bangalis, having bestowed with land, meant they had the tools to survive. But, the landless Muhajirs had no landed property. So, the govt took steps needed to rehabilitate them in non-agriculture sectors.

The Muhajirs were bestowed with education, knowledge of working in factories and other non-agricultural activities. So, they were good in these kinds of jobs, while Bangalis mostly depended upon agriculture only. Muhajirs were very hard working and they had quite an entrepreneureship. Even today railway deptt. depends heavily upon their hard work.

Killing and being killed is another chapter that was initiated by west Pakistan-based military-civilian conspiracy to make the Bangalis HIJRA in their own land. Allah the merciful has finally given us our country where we are proving ourselves in every respect. I wish all the Muhajirs to be our equal partners. They should come out of their Geneva Camps and lead the country to prosperity shoulder to shoulder with all of us. Muhajirs are our people now, and BD is their country, too.

Bangladesh Zindabad!

Last edited:

Dear Akash57,

@ Donnot under-estimate these "Saints, Pir, Faker and Mashaik". It was due to them we the people of Bengal became a muslim. They had a great contribution regarding the speedy spread of Islim in Bengal even well before the invasion of Muslim General like Iktiar Uddin Muhammad Bktiar Khiljee

@ Do you ever thought how you became muslim? Why so many muslims in and around in Bengal ? If you look into the history you would find that you are in the following catagory:

* Either you forefather were hindu,
* Or they were Buddish,
* Or Animist,
* Or pure migration from Arab,Central Asia, Persia,Turan, Afgan etc.
* Or mixture of above.
@ Bangladesh is a land of Saint. I can't remember all the names few of them are Shah Sultan Burlhi Mahi Sawar of Mastangar(Bogra), Khan Jahan Ali of Bagerghat, Shah Jalal of Sylhet, Shah Mokdom of Rajshahi and many others.

@ Another most important issue, apparently most of the people believed that we the Bangalese became muslim from the Hindus and we are homogeneous but in the true sense if you criticaly analysis the historical facts then you would see that we became muslims from the Buddish and not from Hindus. Of course there were many Hindus who converted to muslims but their no is not that much. Due to the existance of big and large rivers in Bangladesh it became a safe heaven for most of the muslim fugitives in this continent even there are evidences that some of the followers of Ummayyat Dynesty flade from Iraq and took shelter in Bengal. In Bengal you will find the blood of Phathans, Afghan, Persia, Central Asia, Turkish, Arabs and Abbissinia.Blood matter's a lot on a nation. In one estimate it is said that about 55% of Bengal people are having a foreign muslim blood, 15% people are mixed and remaing 30% are local convertee (mainly Buddist).

I think for today, it is enough for you so that next time you never dare to comment in that manner. It seems that you have a very thin knowledge about Islam. Can't you see people like Eastwatch and others how elaborately discussing the origin of muslim people in Bengal.

THE WAY I SAW IT (PART TWO)

@ So, that was the tense relation between Bengalies and Non-Bengalies before the election of 1970. Once the election campaign started all political parties started campaigning election for their parties. Muslim Leaque was divided into almost threegroups like Convention Muslim Leaque, Quyyum Muslim Leaque and Council Muslim Leaque. All these fractions of Muslim Leaque contested the election independently. Moreso, since the Convention Muslim Leaque was the party of Ayub Khan, Yahya Khan freezed the central fund of this party. So, Muslim Leaque became more weak. Jamat-e-Islami was the second largest political party which gave the maximum candidate(151, AL gave 170). But in practice JI could hardly campaign the election as when ever they tried to hold a rally it was soon demolished by the Awami Leaquers. Other parties like Pakistan Democratic Party(Nurul Amin), Nizam-e-Islam, NAP(Wali) also participated. After the election result the non-Belgalies felt insecured and many went to West Pakistan.

@ After the 25th March 1971 the areas where there were no Pakistan Military, the local administration along with EPR, Bangali Army and other local AL volunteers revolted against Pakistan. Now, the Beharies and other non-Bengalies were became victom. In those days in the EPR around 25 % were non-Bengalies so most of them were killed in the liberated areas. Sofar I know and heard, Beharies/non-Bengalies were killed at Chittagong,Kaptai, Chandrogona Paper Mills, Rangamati. As per Pakistani version around 50,000 non-Bengalies were killed in the greater Chittagong and Chittagong Hill Tract district.Even the non-Bengali students at various residentials schools/collages were killed. Beharies were killed at Momensigh, Santahar(about 16,000 as per Niazi), Ishurdi,Khuna,Dinajpur, Thakurgaon, Parbatipur and Jessore. It was said that almost 55 different places Beharies were killed. Now it reveals that around 3 to 5 lacs of Beharies were killed before,during and after liberation war. Even Beharies were killed from 16 December to 25 December 1971. This we may now term as "Ethnic Cleansing".

@ Now after so many years it strike in my mind, who killed them? Is it the Awami Leaquer ? Or the local Bengali police Or the Jawans of EPR? I have seen in my own eyees in our localities three villages were encirled and killed one by one. Where from these people got so much of arms for killing the innocent people ? Though at that time I was reading in class Seven, I have no idea but later on I asked the one who was envolved in the killing group, he said me that "a voluntier armed group came from India and with their instigation we killed them" Whether an armed group came from India or not it a matter of controvercy. The people who saw it directly only they can say it. But these people went to BSF in the border areas and brought many weapons.

I must correct a mistake. I think, almost all of the Budhists had converted themselves in Bengal that includes west Bengal, Bihar and Jharkhand. This is why it is almost impossible to find a single Budhist family among Bangalis. About Barua Budhists in Chittagong, they are racially different from other Bangalis. They are a mix between Bangali Hindu and Burmese Budhists when CTG was part of Arakan/Burma.

My opinion is even though there were conversions, there were also mass immigration to our land of plenty from the dry and parched land of north India and Bihar. This is the reason why there are fewer muslims in those areas and there are more muslims in the east. However, the main reason for their evacuating those places was time to time invasions of other groups of fortune-seeking hungry Muslims from the west.

The British were not aware until the 1st Census in 1870 that there were so many muslims in Bengal. So, they had started many thesis and hypothesis and imagination to this effect without going through the detail of the political history and then understanding the migration process from the north throughout the muslim era of about six Centuries.

Other than conversion and immigration, there are some other factors, too, that someday the muslim population of Bengal proportionately became larger than the Hindu population. Among these were widow marriage and polygamy. Moreover, muslims historically have a tendency to bear more children than the future conscious Hindus.

How more children results in more population can be seen from the population growths of Pakistan and BD. In 1947, the then east Pakistan had 35 million people whereas west had 25 million. Now, we have more than 140 million, but they have more than 160 million.

Similar thing happened also in Bengal between Muslims and Hindus. I think, a higher rate of growth was a strong reason for muslim population to someday overwhelm the Hindu population in Bengal. It means a lesser number of conversion than we generally assume.

Dear Eastwatch,

@ I fully agree with your points. Infact, I became interested in this topic that is "In search of Bengali Muslim identity", when I was in Bosnia back in 1994 while I was serving in a NGO. At that time I was trying to understand how such a large people of Bosnia became a muslim(at the heart of Europe). I was reading a book named "Islamization of Bosnia" by one British writer. Then it strike my mind, "How we became muslim in Bengal". Since than for the last 16 years I am studying and re-searching on this topic. Since than I visited all the places of muslim Saints
like Sylhet, Bagerhat, Chittagong, Rajshahi, Bagha(Rajshahi) and Mastangarg(Bogra) and collected lot of choti books written by local people.

@ So after reading these books besides other historical books I have come to the conclusion that we the Bengalies are not a homogeneous nation rather hetogeneous nation. After serving so many years in various disputed areas of the world specially Europe and Africa, where I have seen many ethnic cleansing I now say that Blood matters a lot on human behaviour and as a whole on a nation. Only for this reason we as a nation cannot be united. Now, from my side lets analysis the history of our country. As a Bengali nation we were never united.

* When Khiljee invaded Bengal the Hindu king at Nadia just flade away without fighting, so we came under Islamic rather Turkish dominion.

* When British came at the battle of Pallassay(1757), Seraj Dullah, Mir Modan and Mohal Lal fought and the bulk of the Seraj's fighting force betrayed with him.

* The struggle of Titu Mir against British and local zaminders remained localised at greater district of Barishal, other districts remained a silent spectators.

* The revolt of Fakir Maznu Shah against the East India Company was concentrated at greater district of Rangpur,Dinajpur and Bogra.

* Initially once the East India came to Bengal the Hindus collaborated and Muslims opposed. Once the Hindus revolted against the British we(Muslims) collaberated with British. Like Surjo Sen, Pretilota and Khudiram once these people started struggle against the British muslims wholeheardedly collaborated with British. During the Second World War once Shubash Chandra Bosh flade away and formed "Azad Hind Fouz", A K Fuzlul Huq was chosen as the war Chief Minister of Bengal. During that time most of muslims supported the British and joined in the British forces.

* Even in 1971, we always say that 7.5 crores of Bengali people fought with the Pakistani forces but was it really true? So far I know, around 1 crores of Bengalies flade to India but out of this around 90 lacs were Hindus and rest 10 lacs were muslims. Who all these 10 lacs were they? They were the Army, Police, EPR, Students , AL members and their families and the bulk people remained inside East Pakistan and collaboreded with the Pakistan Army. In my villages only 6 men and 1 female went to India. Out of this 7, one was doing AL politics, the female was his wife, one was serving in the EPR(died) and other 3 were college going student and doing leftist politics.

Finally I may conclude that we the Bengalies are the hetogenous nation, we had been divided, we are divided and we will remain divided in future and that's why there will hardly be any development in our country. All these is because of the blood.

Last edited:
THE WAY I SAW IT (PART TWO)

@ After the 25th March 1971 the areas where there were no Pakistan Military, the local administration along with EPR, Bangali Army and other local AL volunteers revolted against Pakistan. Now, the Beharies and other non-Bengalies were became victom. In those days in the EPR around 25 % were non-Bengalies so most of them were killed in the liberated areas. Sofar I know and heard, Beharies/non-Bengalies were killed at Chittagong,Kaptai, Chandrogona Paper Mills, Rangamati. As per Pakistani version around 50,000 non-Bengalies were killed in the greater Chittagong and Chittagong Hill Tract district.Even the non-Bengali students at various residentials schools/collages were killed. Beharies were killed at Momensigh, Santahar(about 16,000 as per Niazi), Ishurdi,Khuna,Dinajpur, Thakurgaon, Parbatipur and Jessore. It was said that almost 55 different places Beharies were killed. Now it reveals that around 3 to 5 lacs of Beharies were killed before,during and after liberation war. Even Beharies were killed from 16 December to 25 December 1971. This we may now term as "Ethnic Cleansing".

@ Now after so many years it strike in my mind, who killed them? Is it the Awami Leaquer ? Or the local Bengali police Or the Jawans of EPR? I have seen in my own eyees in our localities three villages were encirled and killed one by one. Where from these people got so much of arms for killing the innocent people ? Though at that time I was reading in class Seven, I have no idea but later on I asked the one who was envolved in the killing group, he said me that [B]"a voluntier armed group came from India and with their instigation we killed them" [/B] Whether an armed group came from India or not it a matter of controvercy. The people who saw it directly only they can say it. But these people went to BSF in the border areas and brought many weapons.

It means a lot of people were killed by Indians and AL, but now AL claims that PK killed 30 lakh people. Lots of fcuk........ing unknown stories and conspiracy around 71 .

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom