What's new

COVID-19: Indian double mutation variant arrives in Britain and has 'hallmarks of very dangerous virus'

Invicta

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boris has got to explain why India is still not on the Red list.

The new Indian variant of the COVID virus that's been detected in the UK has all the hallmarks of a very dangerous virus.

It has two new significant mutations in the spike protein that help it infect cells and evade the immune system.

New figures from Public Health England (PHE) show there have been 73 cases detected in England and another four in Scotland.

The variant - officially named B.1.617 - is almost certainly playing a part in the very sharp spike in the epidemic in India.

One of the concerning mutations, called L452R, is also found in a variant circulating in California, though there is no link between the viruses. The Indian variant has evolved independently.

The other mutation in the virus is completely new. It is at the same '484' position in the spike protein that is also mutated in the South African variant, and some others. But the actual mutation - E484Q - is slightly different.

Lab tests show both mutations help the virus to infect human cells and evade some antibodies.
Millions of devotees continued to take part in Kumbh Mela, in India, this week despite the pandemic.
The combination - called a double mutant - is a particular concern.

As yet it is unknown what impact they would have on the effectiveness of the existing vaccines.

The discovery of so many cases of the Indian variant in the UK highlights the flaw in relying on a traffic light system for controlling international spread of potentially dangerous viruses.

India is not on the red list so there is no requirement for hotel quarantine. Instead returning travellers are required to take two COVID tests and quarantine at home for 10 days.

But if people don't fully quarantine there is a risk of the virus escaping.
India is not on the UK government's 'red list' - countries from which entry to the UK is banned
Research shows the South African variant was brought into the country several times before travellers from some African countries were told they had to quarantine in a hotel.

And latest PHE figures show there have been 56 more cases of the South African variant detected in the UK in the last week as the virus continues to spread, with the total now 600.

India virus reaches England o_O

73 detected cases and no action so far. Good for you England, you deserve it.

I am not sure the virus should be called 'Chinese' or not at first place, as there was Chinese new year and people were celebrating it. Anyway, first timer so we can neglect at least for that.

Now virus should be names as Indian virus, if people want it to refer to on nation basis. Though, mutation is totally natural, but this negligence of Govt conducting political rallies mustn't be neglected. It is a total carelessness and not a mistake.

The religious gathering can be controlled but it is hard to refrain devotees. But the sheer lust to dominate Indian politics, BJP has made it as Indian virus.

India should have banned gatherings I agree religious political and any other mass gatherings. But to now be quick to label it Indian virus when we all know why we in this mess. For over a year i have heard people put up a defence when Trump called it a china virus. Some here are quick to look the other way when its china but just as quick to jump all over India. Call it an Indian variant and ban flights in and out of the country safety comes first. If measures like this and honesty was used in the first place we would not have had to put up with this for over a year
Also, south asians should not just ignore safety measures. I know of one traveller who landed from Punjab India in the morning and was at his fish and chips shop by mid day . What happened to quarantine of 10 days South Asians think these rules don't apply to them i seen many such cases.

Last edited:
FFS. We just need to ban all international travel around the world, for 6 months. New Zealand did it, Australia did it, they survived - the rest of us need to do it too.
Just give me a months warning so I can get back to my family in the US and the flights are available . I agree this would have contained it

Just give me a months warning so I can get back to my family in the US and the flights are available . I agree this would have contained it

This should have been done Nov/Dec 2019 when Wuhan went into lockdown. Red lists all this that the other, don't really seem to be working.

Boris has got to explain why India is still not on the Red list.

The new Indian variant of the COVID virus that's been detected in the UK has all the hallmarks of a very dangerous virus.

It has two new significant mutations in the spike protein that help it infect cells and evade the immune system.

New figures from Public Health England (PHE) show there have been 73 cases detected in England and another four in Scotland.

The variant - officially named B.1.617 - is almost certainly playing a part in the very sharp spike in the epidemic in India.

One of the concerning mutations, called L452R, is also found in a variant circulating in California, though there is no link between the viruses. The Indian variant has evolved independently.

The other mutation in the virus is completely new. It is at the same '484' position in the spike protein that is also mutated in the South African variant, and some others. But the actual mutation - E484Q - is slightly different.

Lab tests show both mutations help the virus to infect human cells and evade some antibodies.
Millions of devotees continued to take part in Kumbh Mela, in India, this week despite the pandemic.
The combination - called a double mutant - is a particular concern.

As yet it is unknown what impact they would have on the effectiveness of the existing vaccines.

The discovery of so many cases of the Indian variant in the UK highlights the flaw in relying on a traffic light system for controlling international spread of potentially dangerous viruses.

India is not on the red list so there is no requirement for hotel quarantine. Instead returning travellers are required to take two COVID tests and quarantine at home for 10 days.

But if people don't fully quarantine there is a risk of the virus escaping.
India is not on the UK government's 'red list' - countries from which entry to the UK is banned
Research shows the South African variant was brought into the country several times before travellers from some African countries were told they had to quarantine in a hotel.

And latest PHE figures show there have been 56 more cases of the South African variant detected in the UK in the last week as the virus continues to spread, with the total now 600.
Lets call it Indian gau mutra variant

India should have banned gatherings I agree religious political and any other mass gatherings. But to now be quick to label it Indian virus when we all know why we in this mess. For over a year i have heard people put up a defence when Trump called it a china virus. Some here are quick to look the other way when its china but just as quick to jump all over India. Call it an Indian variant and ban flights in and out of the country safety comes first. If measures like this and honesty was used in the first place we would not have had to put up with this for over a year
Also, south asians should not just ignore safety measures. I know of one traveller who landed from Punjab India in the morning and was at his fish and chips shop by mid day . What happened to quarantine of 10 days South Asians think these rules don't apply to them i seen many such cases.

right sir ,
all gatherings should be banned at all .

This should have been done Nov/Dec 2019 when Wuhan went into lockdown. Red lists all this that the other, don't really seem to be working.
To little to late this not a bash on Chinese but flights from china should have been stopped all international travel like you said .

I still dont understand why India is not on the red list. Unacceptable.

And people, who "absolutely" need to go on a holiday abroad this year - need to be beaten to within an inch of their lives - selfish prats ....

this could have been massively minimised if air travel was locked down earlier .... sigh ..

I still dont understand why India is not on the red list. Unacceptable.

And people, who "absolutely" need to go on a holiday abroad this year - need to be beaten to within an inch of their lives - selfish prats ....

this could have been massively minimised if air travel was locked down earlier .... sigh ..
I see lockdown 4.0 on the horizon... what a wasted opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom