Counter culture? Few Pak youths giving up Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoEscape

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Counter culture? Pak youths giving up Islam

ISLAMABAD: A handful of Pakistani Muslim youths are beginning to question the existence of God and in the process giving up Islam to become atheists.

Still a small number, the trend seems to be telling of pressures that the image of militant Islam has had on them. A Facebook group has been floated for Pakistan's agnostics and atheists by Hazrat NaKhuda, a former Pakistani Muslim.

At last count, the group had over a 100 members. In a thread started on the discussion board on "How did you become an atheist", Hazrat writes, "I used to be a practicing Muslim. I used to live in Saudi Arabia. I have done two Hajs and countless Umrahs. Used to pray five times a day. When I turned 17-18, I realized that the only reason I was a Muslim was because my parents were Muslims".

Hazrat is a young computer programmer from Lahore. Ahmed Zaidi (name changed), another member, posted on the discussion board: "I'm an agnostic simply because I see little or no evidence for the existence of God. Some time ago I decided that I'd never believe anything unless it has a firm basis in reason and as far as I know (and I admit I know very little and there's much to be learnt), there's little or no evidence for the existence of God."

The group, open strictly to members, has young Pakistani students studying in New York University to Oxford University to the prestigious Lahore University of Management Sciences as members.

Nawab Zia (name changed) wrote that the moot question is not "how did you become an atheist" but "how did you become a believer". Every child is born free and pure" Ali Rana (name changed), who loved Islamic preacher Zakir Naik and hated author Salman Rushdie, has had a change of heart too. He now thinks Nair is an "idiot" and Rushdie a genius. There are other threads on how the members "wasted" their years as theists.

More serious issues, like whether there should a column marked "no religion" while applying for passports, have also been discussed. "Last time I went to get my passport renewed, I found there is no option called "no religion". Next time I go to make my passport I don't want to put in Islam as my religion," said one member.

What connects members, who range from students to computer professionals to architects, is their urgent need to question religion.

Counter culture? Few Pak youths giving up Islam - Pakistan - World - The Times of India

Well there are many so called "modern" muslims whose lifestyle is mirror of atheism anyway. Good if they give up as we dont want them corrupting our pool. Their announcements helps in their own tagging for future reference. Practice makes muslims name does not. After all it is their decision and they will be held responsible for it. Many such people are mentally disturbed and supressed often hailing from hardcore religious families.

Well there are many so called "modern" muslims whose lifestyle is mirror of atheism anyway. Good if they give up as we dont want them corrupting our pool. Their announcements helps in their own tagging for future reference. Practice makes muslims name does not. After all it is their decision and they will be held responsible for it. Many such people are mentally disturbed and supressed often hailing from hardcore religious families.

All of the atheists I know are anything but mentally disturbed. However I know plenty of religious people who certainly are mentally disturbed.

a lot of people have identity crises and change religion all the time the world over. whats the big deal here? Just look at the track record of some Hollywood celebs. It seems that they believe in adopting the most fashionable religion of the season. Aethism vs agnosticism vs religious beliefs is a very common debate amongst the young generation in Singapore as well. Youth is an age where people are in a process of discovery and are searching for their likes, dislikes identities and beliefs and it is only natural that some of them will questions the religion and traditions of their parents.

Not worth a news item, IMHO

Well the fact is that 99% of world Muslim population doesn't follow 99.99% teachings of Islam.So in a sense Modern Muslims are atheists anyway.

Indian media my friend , thats what i am talking about , its full of crap.

Have you tried checking that facebook link to check if its true before coming into a conclusion , friend.

100 members of a page on facebook, these 100 represent whole Pakistani population of 170Million+ ???

And what are the guarantees that these 100 members are in real Pakistanis and ex-Muslims ??

Just another media drive to bring in Pakistan.

100 members on some internet forum do not represent majority trend of a country.

Feel sorry for the level of intellectualism shown by whoever the author is.

100 members of a page on facebook, these 100 represent whole Pakistani population of 170Million+ ???

And what are the guarantees that these 100 members are in real Pakistanis and ex-Muslims ??

Just another media drive to bring in Pakistan.

100 members on some internet forum do not represent majority trend of a country.

Feel sorry for the level of intellectualism shown by whoever the author is.

I don't think the article claimed it was a "majority"

Still a small number, the trend seems to be telling of pressures that the image of militant Islam has had on them.

Atheists are as much entitled to their free will and freedom of belief as anyone else.....its not worrying that such groups are "emerging" in Pakistan or anywhere else as it may be but what is to be seen is how the government reacts to them ....

I don't think the article claimed it was a "majority"

100 member on some forum do not qualify to make it to use the word Pakistan, as it implies it is representing the whole country or some big change in it.

The heading of the article says, few, so are 100 people become few out of 170Million ?? I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom