What's new

Cost of construction of Metro Rail in Dhaka is much higher than India.

Have been away from this forum for sometime & have lost interest. But some of these comments are so interesting that I cabt help replying

Bangladesh people may not be quality conscious, but the JICA and Japanese are. JICA will not allow to build a 3rd grade cheap metro system that would bring bad name for Japan. JICA will certainly introduce the best of Japan. Quality certainly costs money.

Who do you think is funding much of our metro projects, good sir ? It is the same JICA.

Propensity to cheap and low quality product also a cultural trait inherited by Indian people.It is said that Banya can sell their mother for profit.Do you think this type of people will spend money if they can get without it? They will always look for cheaper, downgraded version of any product.

20 km is just the first phage.Total length will be over 150 km. Already 2nd phage with 40 km length is under evaluation.And Hyderabad metro inaugurated 4 days ago with 29 km length, 72 km is planned yet not built.

Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) is also under construction in Dhaka.As well as elevated expressway. Circular train is also under planning.
Dhaka to get first circular train service
http://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/development/2017/11/06/dhaka-first-circular-train/
Another thing which Dhaka has but not in Mumbai or Hyderabad is waterway transport around the city.Dhaka has a lot of water body within and circumnavigating the whole city.Which carry a lot of passenger.There is works underway to make it more popular.

Hyderabad metro phase 1 is 72km in length, they just launched part of the metro, remaining part will be opened in 2-3 months time.

Japanese import is the much bigger size of the metro train and metro stations which are designated to carry 60,000 passenger per hour.No Indian metro come close to this figure.

:lol: Heard of Delhi metro genius ? It is one of the largest in the world and would soon reach 330 km length (2018)

They run 8 coach rakes, each with a capacity of 300 at a headway as low as 2 minutes 18 seconds. Now calculate PPHPD.

DMRC's Phase III which is about to open costs a total of $6.5 billion for 150 km. Compare that to Dhaka.

The stations will also have more modern facilities compared to Indian metro

Such as ? :lol:

You can not compare Japanese build metro rail with cheap, low quality Indian metro. But still, no matter how much shoddy or low quality the Indian metro is, Indian are riding on locally built metro which means a lot

Cheap, low quality, shoddy Indian metro- now at Qatar !!!

L&T Construction wins Rs 4510 Crs Doha Metro Project

specially for a technologically backward and poor country like India.

Quite rich coming from rich & technologically advanced bangladesh. :lol:

@Nilgiri did these folks file any patent in USPTO last year ??

And Hyderabad metro inaugurated 4 days ago with 29 km length, 72 km is planned yet not built.

Phase 1 is around 67 km. Rest of the network would be opened in a few months.

Dhaka - 16 stations - 60,000 per hour = 3,750 per hour
Hyderabad - 24 stations - 60,000 per hour = 2,500 per hour

The figures are called Passengers Per Hour Per Direction (PPHPD). It means the maximum capacity in one direction. it doesn't mean that itwould always carry 60,000 people in direction per hour at all around the day.

Anyway it is not correct to compare unbuilt Dhaka metro to any existing Indian one. Mumbai is building 190 km simultaneously. Even smaller hyderabad built 67 km in its fiest phase.

I believe, it's a legacy of license raj and overall protectionism of Indian industries.

And even with this legacy of license raj, Indians get quality products at lower prices than Bangladeshis.

Last edited:
This baiting of India from time to time is getting sickening and childish and kind of reflect the mindset of Islamists in Bangladesh.Comparing Delhi Metro to non existent one ,Delhi metro one of the only metros in world which make profit with more than 218 km of length and after completion of 3rd phase it will be 330 km ,most of the coaches are made in Gujarat and Bangaluru now even exported to Sydney

I sometimes think these guys are throwing stones just to seek some attension in their threads. Or are they for real?
Yes, it's true, the belief is "high prices = obv greater quality":lol:
dude... I lit the matchis... dont blame poor guys... lol

Its kinda crazy, that you guys talking about quality.. quality is last thing should come from Bdians.. coming to hyderabad metro... that city is not densily populated but well connected with bus, local trains.. metro is a slight relief and effective alternative... am not sure what kinda hightech equip BD offering apart those of cheddi making under ldc quota..

I sometimes think these guys are throwing stones just to seek some attension in their threads. Or are they for real?
Yes, it's true, the belief is "high prices = obv greater quality":lol:

This baiting of India from time to time is getting sickening and childish and kind of reflect the mindset of Islamists in Bangladesh.Comparing Delhi Metro to non existent one ,Delhi metro one of the only metros in world which make profit with more than 218 km of length and after completion of 3rd phase it will be 330 km ,most of the coaches are made in Gujarat and Bangaluru now even exported to Sydney

The very first response on this thread was a troll one, then you wonder why things turn ugly?

This thread had a reasonable premise, and it would have been interesting to explore the various reasons why it is gonna cost more - but some Indians couldn't help being small hearted about it.

The very first response on this thread was a troll one, then you wonder why things turn ugly?
First comment? The writer himself is comparing apples to oranges. And his reasoning is juvenile at best. The stations are small, metro's are small. But he categorically denied the fact that, metro construction is cheap because in India, it involves different industries working together, with raw materials from domestic markets, and a lot of experience in constructing railways make it cost less. while BD is building it's first metro, with imported materials, imported engineers, with the help of foreign companies, making it's cost to shoot up. You do not have companies like L&T, or Tata which provide engineering and material support for large projects. Government tax more on metro compared to railways or roads.

dude... I lit the matchis... dont blame poor guys... lol
:enjoy: It's not you, even without your comment, the members will make this about us. Very typical of some particular members.

First comment? The writer himself is comparing apples to oranges. And his reasoning is juvenile at best. The stations are small, metro's are small. But he categorically denied the fact that, metro construction is cheap because in India, it involves different industries working together, with raw materials from domestic markets, and a lot of experience in constructing railways make it cost less. while BD is building it's first metro, with imported materials, imported engineers, with the help of foreign companies, making it's cost to shoot up. You do not have companies like L&T, or Tata which provide engineering and material support for large projects. Government tax more on metro compared to railways or roads.

:enjoy: It's not you, even without your comment, the members will make this about us. Very typical of some particular members.

Well done, where was this analysis earlier? Instead you people get insecure about everything.

Apples and oranges aside, of course Bd costings will be compared with India, if you think that's an inaccurate comparison explain why.

And I really wish Indians would stop acting like they're on another level. I think this piece of proud indian workmanship tells you where India stands when it comes to quality.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/mitr...trump-at-ges-2017.530902/page-3#post-10061014

Well done, where was this analysis earlier? Instead you people get insecure about everything.
Insecure!?! How? I did explain this 'analysis' earlier in post #6.
Apples and oranges aside, of course Bd costings will be compared with India, if you think that's an inaccurate comparison explain why.
Again, like I have already said, you don't have industries that support metro projects. Say Larsen & Toubro for example, I was working on one of their overseas metro construction in MU, they are responsible for a numerous metro constructions in India. The metro that L&T construct follows the same FOS as that of the Japanese.
Your cost shoots up because you need to import the raw materials while India has it's own industries that produce the same, take steel for example
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_steel_production
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tata_Hitachi_Construction_Machinery
Should I bring the amount of cement too?
And I really wish Indians would stop acting like they're on another level. I think this piece of proud indian workmanship tells you where India stands when it comes to quality.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/mitr...trump-at-ges-2017.530902/page-3#post-10061014

Who claims we are on any level. Nobody claimed anywhere that India is a first world paradise. India is rich and poor. But certainly not a LDC that exports garments to run country.

About the link :D this is pdf, should I say anything more?
More than half of them are interested in India bashing, including majority of the south Asians, while neither of them are any better economically even with their relatively small size. Not to forget the middle kingdom Chinese and false flags.

Are they not compared to Japan? Because he was comparing Indian techs to Japan's, not BD's.

The fact a developed county imported Indian carriages for its metro speaks enough on that issue (cost/quality/assured tech reliability).

Once you have production chain (both capital and human elements) and associated commited liquidity and ISO standard in play...near complete proportion of the technology frontier is achieved (given you even have branding/integration to ride off on). How much you then sustain for further reseach and development concerns future premium capital flow allocation (between provider and market) only. It is never an issue of the ratios of cost/quality/tech being noticeably different in today's production chains that have largely standardised and globalised best practices.

Your cost shoots up because you need to import the raw materials while India has it's own industries that produce the same, take steel for example

AFAIK BD also taxes on relative scale all the inputs in manufacture (past RMG) much more severely than India does too....because of over-reliance on the LDC quota afforded to them and no real pressure to diversify socioeconomic led politics....leading to something of a sugar-fed diabetic environment compared to comprehensive broad based policy/objectives.

India certainly has myriad of issues trying to get close and ahead of the curve in policy for private sector, but the region is fairing even worse overall.

:lol: Heard of Delhi metro genius ? It is one of the largest in the world and would soon reach 330 km length (2018)

They run 8 coach rakes, each with a capacity of 300 at a headway as low as 2 minutes 18 seconds. Now calculate PPHPD.

DMRC's Phase III which is about to open costs a total of $6.5 billion for 150 km. Compare that to Dhaka.

Such as ? :lol:

Cheap, low quality, shoddy Indian metro- now at Qatar !!!

L&T Construction wins Rs 4510 Crs Doha Metro Project

Quite rich coming from rich & technologically advanced bangladesh. :lol:

@Nilgiri did these folks file any patent in USPTO last year ??

Phase 1 is around 67 km. Rest of the network would be opened in a few months.

The figures are called Passengers Per Hour Per Direction (PPHPD). It means the maximum capacity in one direction. it doesn't mean that itwould always carry 60,000 people in direction per hour at all around the day.

Anyway it is not correct to compare unbuilt Dhaka metro to any existing Indian one. Mumbai is building 190 km simultaneously. Even smaller hyderabad built 67 km in its fiest phase.

And even with this legacy of license raj, Indians get quality products at lower prices than Bangladeshis.

Hehe welcome back to the ring...*tags gslv in*.

USPTO for BD was I believe 1 granted in 2016, about 13 were filed in 2015.

Running average seems to be around 1 or 2 granted to BD out of 6 - 12 filed per year for last few years. I don't think they have hit back to a duck quite yet.

2017 well I guess lets see :P

In comparison India filed nearly 8000 patent applications in USPTO in 2015, about 3700 were granted in 2016. Of course its not pure conversion for a year, some patent process is done in same year itself, some take 1, 2 years or even much longer. But the hit rate (simple y.oy) is around 40 - 50% sustained right now it seems....largely in line with the major world economies. Growth is decent too. About 9% mid term growth for filings and about double that for granted (suggesting improving trend for strike rate).

https://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/documents/USPTOFY16PAR.pdf

Insecure!?! How? I did explain this 'analysis' earlier in post #6.

Again, like I have already said, you don't have industries that support metro projects. Say Larsen & Toubro for example, I was working on one of their overseas metro construction in MU, they are responsible for a numerous metro constructions in India. The metro that L&T construct follows the same FOS as that of the Japanese.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_steel_production
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tata_Hitachi_Construction_Machinery
Should I bring the amount of cement too?

Who claims we are on any level. Nobody claimed anywhere that India is a first world paradise. India is rich and poor. But certainly not a LDC that exports garments to run country.

About the link :D this is pdf, should I say anything more?
More than half of them are interested in India bashing, including majority of the south Asians, while neither of them are any better economically even with their relatively small size. Not to forget the middle kingdom Chinese and false flags.

My point was that constructive analysis like yours is welcome, as opposed to the insecurity displayed by your countrymen.

What are you trying to prove here ? All I see is a bunch of CCP paid trolls trolling in a thread about a showpiece robots.

Anyway coming to robots, we now make articulated industrial robots with payload upto 10 kg.

And yup we are at another level. We are not an LDC which can only manufacture textiles. :D

When it comes to quality of life and almost every other human index, I'm afraid India is in the same league as the rest of us. So there's no need for the high horse.

Congrats on the robot - I'm sure there are many areas where India is ahead of us - but insecure trolling is an indian charactersitic which we're seeing a lot on PDF lately. By particular users it must be said.

I wish you noticed comments by BD members comments.. who bring about quality, as if they live in developed country... irony isnt it..

See my post about the first reply derailing the thread.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom