What's new

Cost of construction of Metro Rail in Dhaka is much higher than India.

Well, there is also BRTs under construction in Dhaka apart from existing local bus services. Plus, the water transport which is set to expand I guess. Anyways, at least we agree on the main argument so cheers!

20km is the first line (Line 6), Mumbai for example has a length of 11km. The total system length of Dhaka Metro will reach above 100km with 4 lines. And the numbers are quoted from the JICA feasibility study.

Numbers were only projections and that too at optimal level. If only projections come true every time, wouldn't the world be such a nice place for everyone. Now lets compare when you actually build one.

Even if you said it satirically, it is true.You can not compare Japanese build metro rail with cheap, low quality Indian metro. If you read the last paragraph of this article, one of main factor of high cost of Dhaka metro, besides Japanese import is the much bigger size of the metro train and metro stations which are designated to carry 60,000 passenger per hour.No Indian metro come close to this figure.The stations will also have more modern facilities compared to Indian metro.But still, no matter how much shoddy or low quality the Indian metro is, Indian are riding on locally built metro which means a lot specially for a technologically backward and poor country like India.
First stop comparing with India and then talk about quality. Why not compare with china or japan itself ? You ppl start the trolling war and then end up asking why BD gets bashed up.

Numbers were only projections and that too at optimal level. If only projections come true every time, wouldn't the world be such a nice place for everyone. Now lets compare when you actually build one.

Well, there is something called feasibility study. Japan is pumping billions on this project for a reason.

He meant the average number of commuters per stations.

Dhaka - 16 stations - 60,000 per hour = 3,750 per hour
Hyderabad - 24 stations - 60,000 per hour = 2,500 per hour

Forget Hyderabad, Even Mumbai is also behind Dhaka
Mumbai - 12 stations - 15,000 per hour = 1,250 per hour

Which means the trains and stations for Dhaka Metro will be bigger than the Indian ones.
You seem to be comparing local trains in Dhaka with metro rail in Hyderabad.

Hyderabad also has local trains which is off topic.

Hyderabad metro trains have 3 coaches. There is a provision to increase the coaches based on the passengers.

He meant the average number of commuters per stations.

Dhaka - 16 stations - 60,000 per hour = 3,750 per hour
Hyderabad - 24 stations - 60,000 per hour = 2,500 per hour

Forget Hyderabad, Even Mumbai is also behind Dhaka
Mumbai - 12 stations - 15,000 per hour = 1,250 per hour

Which means the trains and stations for Dhaka Metro will be bigger than the Indian ones.

Do you know how the 60,000 number was came up with for Dhaka?
The Director said, IF there are eight people per square metre at the busiest hour, then each train will have 1800 people. Then at four min run time, 60000.

By this logic, many things can be said. It's not scientific, just silly kid math.
All dependent on each square metre having eight people.
It doesn't work like that.
Too many factors to be considered, primary being how many would prefer to pay for the metro than other means.

So who wanna travel beside seven bangladeshi brothers with you in one square metre?
It'll be BIG and GRAND guys, I promise.

It's an experience you can get only in Mumbai locals within India.

Anyway, so the 60000 number has absolutely no basis other than a plan to recreate a concentration camp.
So stop with the "It's gonna be BIG guyzzz, much bigger than India's".

Let's just wait and see.

Last edited:
Well, there is also BRTs under construction in Dhaka apart from existing local bus services. Plus, the water transport which is set to expand I guess. Anyways, at least we agree on the main argument so cheers!

My argument was about the Japs offering better quality and facilities than what we have in India and nope I didn't agree on that. But, when it comes to the number of passengers being transported and usage of larger coaches, it doesn't make a difference as it depends on the density of a particular city, existing public transport infra, availability of funds and requirements.

Anyway, the reason is not because the Japanese are exporting alien tech to Banlgadesh, you don't have enough allied industries to support a metro system. While India has enough industries that can take up metro projects.

Dude shhhhh, less you reveal, more money in it for Indian suppliers (and Indian run BAL to take its tax/tariffs) :P.

Complete void of BD SME base must be allowed to persist for decades for greater good :). Its fine if they cry about it all having been an Indian chanakya conspiracy decades later (like they cry now for on the ground results of that same thing done decades before).

This LDC style complaint/justification of "high prices = obv greater quality" (and related deflated PPP and consumption basket figures being a huge hoax) must be allowed to flourish. BD polarisation (into such simple minded thinking) is required in every area possible so they remain a servile easily controlled country....and one we make the juicy money off in a manufacture value added to sweatshop RMG driven way.

Do you know how the 60,000 number was come up with for Dhaka?
The Director said, IF there are eight people per square metre at the busiest hour, then each train will have 1800 people. Then at four min run time, 60000.

By this logic, many things can be said. It's not scientific, just silly kid math.
All dependent on each square metre having eight people.
It doesn't work like that.
Too many factors to be considered, primary being how many would prefer to pay for the metro than other means.

So who wanna travel beside seven bangladeshi brothers with you in one square metre?
It'll be BIG and GRANT guys, I promise.

It's an experience you can get only in Mumbai locals within India.

Anyway, so the 60000 number has absolutely no basis other than a plan to recreate a concentration camp.
So stop with the "It's gonna be BIG guyzzz, much bigger than India's".

Let's just wait and see.

Again, same thing with you. You have to let the delusions permeate and ferment for a while so you get maximum returns down the road.

Try your best not to point out the lack of critical thinking...it is pertinent that BD people stay submerged in low level thought process (and sustained by BBS dullard type force feeding)....there is much money to be made long term by others (incl us) by doing that. That is the long term utility of BD for the world period.

This coming from a B'deshi is the irony of the decade
You have a mistaken perception of the comments by @Homo Sapiens. He was probably praising the Indian way of doing things by itself. I believe, Indians do not have to get angry when BD people compare the qualities of metro train system in BD and India. The point is whatever may be the quality, India builds its own metro lines and coaches. The quality will keep on improving year after year.

On the other hand, BD cannot build by itself a metro rail system without the money and technology from Japan. JICA will certainly provide its best quality, no doubt. But, BD people have little contribution to it.

You have a mistaken perception of the comments by @Homo Sapiens. He was probably praising the Indian way of doing things by itself. I believe, Indians do not have to get angry when BD people compare the qualities of metro train system in BD and India. The point is whatever may be the quality, India builds its own metro lines and coaches. The quality will keep on improving year after year.

On the other hand, BD cannot build by itself a metro rail system without the money and technology from Japan. JICA will certainly provide its best quality, no doubt. But, BD people have little contribution to it.
I was pointing out his remarks of how Indians are technologically backward and poor. I would certainly agree with that if someone from a far more developed and advanced nation says that

This reminds me the Contractor from New York joke. This is how it goes,

Fixing Fences

Three contractors were touring the White House on the same day. One was from New York, another from Texas, and the third from Florida. At the end of the tour, the guard asked them what they did for a living. when they each replied that they were contractors, the guard said, "Hey we need one of the rear fences redone. Why don't you guys take a look at it and give me your bids."

First the Florida contractor took out his tape measure and pencil, did some measuring and said, "I figure the job will run about $900 -- $400 for materials, $400 for my crew, and $100 profit for me."

Next was the Texas contractor. He also took out his tape measure and pencil, did some quick calculations and said, "Looks like I can do this job for $700 -- $300 for materials, $300 for my crew, and $100 profit for me."

Finally, the guard asks the New York contractor for his bid. Without batting an eye, the contractor says, "$2,700."

The guard, incredulous, looks at him and says, "You didn't even measure like the other guys! How did you come up with such a high figure?"

"Easy," says the contractor from New York, "$1,000 for me, $1,000 for you, and we hire the guy from Texas."

Bangladeshis might just be the most inept people in the sub continent. ! Worse than nepalis.

Btw it's funny bangaldeshis are comparing their still inexistent metro plan with bunch of indian metros which are already operational for several years now !! :lol:

Indians are running with imaginary numbers ( India will be something in five years ) since the vedic period. Bangladesh is next to India, more like surrounded by India. Some folks in BD are picking up some of those habits !!

Don't know why we all comparing Dhaka MRT-6 estimated cost with that of India, without comparing the basic differences. It's Apple vs Oranges, except both are fruits! Generally pre-feasibility, feasibility, consultant studies here are done by foreign companies most places and they cost substantial amount. Construction materials like stone chips, scraps for Steels, clinkers for cement, vehicles for the project etc are all imported with huge import duties on these. Removal of our zigzag Utility Lines costs a lot too. Land prices are one of the Highest in the world here. Projects often overshoot their deadlines (more cost). Relative higher inflation than India (more estimated cost). Last but not least, some corruptions +/- of course (like others countries).

Last edited:
India needs and wants is different from BD so lets not say into it
if JICA can keep full control of everything then i am sure there will be less corruption :)

Are you living in the Mars not to understand a very simple thing that the GoB has already planned to build five metro lines and one Bus Rapid Transport system. Now, read about the next MRT-5, genius!! We are now building MRT-6. Japanese way of numbering denotes the ultimate building of six lines including bus rapid. This is why it is MRT-6.

About MRT Line-5
"According to the Draft of Revised Strategic Transport Plan, the proposed MRT line 5 will start from Bhulta on Dhaka-Sylhet highway and stretch to Hatirjheel link road via Bhatara, Natun Bazar, Madani Road, Kamal Ataturk Avenue, Mirpur 10, Gabtoli bus terminal, Mirpur Road, Dhanmondi and Basundhara City".

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom