What's new

Comparison| Pakistani,Iranian,Afghan,Indian,Bangali food.

I meant to say not many women wear hijab in Pakistan and how am I insulting Islamic clothing?

Pyaz or onion is used twice. Onions are first fried in oil to make the sauce. Once this is made, fresh onion is added again. So do Pyaaza(Onion) for the onions added twice.

I think we do it a little bit different, not quite sure though. we mix the meat with well sliced onions and leave it for a few hours, then fry other onions and cook it, somethig like that.

I would not call the food at the Indian restaurants here as Indian. I still remember the shock I first felt when I had Korma here. It was sweet!! It took a long time for me to get over it.

Most food at Indian restaurants here are different to what we are used to back in India. I cook my own curries. The days I am bored of my own cooking, I eat Italian or Chinese food.

Last edited:
One good tip for any one having an Indian takeaway, ask for desi style and talk about cricket. You will get a better version of the curry and an awesome service.

I meant to say not many women wear hijab in Pakistan and how am I insulting Islamic clothing?

Wrong. Many Pakistani women wear Hijab.

1665488.jpg

0204-OSIDDIQI-Pakistan-Al-Qaida-Suspect-Aafia-Siddiqui-600_full_600.jpg

3479354.bin

women_police_hijab__608x484.JPG

416654_flying_officer_peshawer.jpg

Last edited:
Wrong. Many Pakistani women wear Hijab.

1665488.jpg

0204-OSIDDIQI-Pakistan-Al-Qaida-Suspect-Aafia-Siddiqui-600_full_600.jpg

3479354.bin

416654_flying_officer_peshawer.jpg

The majority of Pakistani women don't wear hijabs especially the upper and middle class. Maybe its different in NW Pakistan and Balochistan but from what i've seen in Karachi,Lahore and Isloo many women don't wear hijabs. Even in interior Sindh hijab is not common.

Last edited:
Pyaz or onion is used twice. Onions are first fried in oil to make the sauce. Once this is made, fresh onion is added again. So do Pyaaza(Onion) for the onions added twice.

when preparing Rui (fish) do peyaja, the Rui is first fried with just turmeric. Later cooked with ground red chili and taste to like turmeric and onions, once the fish is cooked then more fried onions are layered on the top to serve. Hence the name do peyaja.

I read in one history book, all these foods originated from Turkey. Specially Briyani, Kabab and Kurma.

That is very much true, but its really hard for these indians to digest the fact that some of their dishes have their origins in the Middle East.

I think Phaal is a British invention created by a chef who was sick of people asking for hot curries in their restaurants. However what intrigues me is the name. What is the origin of the name Phaal? Can someone please shed some light on this.

Some indians here dont know the origin of some these dishes.

Many Pakistani and Indian dishes originated from Turkey and the Middle East.

See a menu from a Turkish, Lebanese, and Iranian restaurant. You will see Kababs, Koftha, etc..

Muslim rulers of the subcontinent brought with them beautiful culture, architecture, dress, and delicious food to the subcontinent.

Mughlai cuisine (Hindi: मुगल पकवान, Urdu: مغلای پکوان) is a South Asian cuisine, influenced by the imperial kitchens of the Mughal Empire. It represents the cooking style used in Delhi and Punjab (now partitioned between India and Pakistan). The cuisine is strongly influenced by Persian, and Turkic cuisines of Central Asia. The cuisine of most Indian restaurants in UK and USA can be termed Mughlai.

The tastes of Mughlai cuisine vary from extremely mild to spicy, and is often associated with a distinctive aroma and the taste of ground and whole spices.[1] A Mughlai course is an elaborate buffet of main course dishes with a variety of accompaniments.[2]

The origins of Chicken Tikka Masala are debated, but the flavors of the dish follow in the tradition of Mughlai cuisine.

The names of the dishes are quite often Persian, the official language of the Mughal court. Dishes include various kebabs, kofta (meatballs), nihari, pulao (a.k.a. pilaf in Central Asia), and biryani. Paneer is used for preparing vegetarian dishes to suit Hindu dietary requirements.

Other dishes include:

Chicken Makhni
Mughlai Chicken[1]
Mughai paratha[2]
Biryani Badshahi
Keema Matar
Meat Durbari
Mughlai Chicken Pulao
Murg Kababs Mughlai
Murg Noorjehani
Murg Kali Mirch
Malai Kofta
Navratan korma
shahi mutton curry of Agra
Shami Kabab
Seekh kabab
Boti kabab
Shahjehani Murg Masala
Shahi Chicken Korma
Shahi Kaju Aloo
Shahi Rogan Josh
Desserts
Shahi Tukra is a rich bread pudding with dry fruits, flavored with cardamom.
Barfi
Gulabjamun
Kalakand
Kulfi
Sheer korma
Falooda

Mughlai cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you hit the bulls eye brother.

Well then can i say that its really hard for you pakistanis to digest the fact that some of their dishes have their origins in the india.

Agreed. Its a delicacy. You gotta pass the smell test first :D.

If it's been cooked properly then there won't be no smell left, my mom cooks it that way, don't know the 'know-how'.

But it takes a brave-heart to buy that fish from market! :D

Well then can i say that its really hard for you pakistanis to digest the fact that some of their dishes have their origins in the india.

Actually, i like many indian dishes and if a certain Pakistani dish has its origins in india then i don't really mind as i like to taste foods of all kind (as long as its Halal:tup:).

If it's been cooked properly then there won't be no smell left, my mom cooks it that way, don't know the 'know-how'.

But it takes a brave-heart to buy that fish from market! :D

I used to love visiting the fish market when I was back in India. The sights, smells, noise was all very enjoyable. A Saturday morning spent haggling with the fish mongers was a morning well spent.

Back
Top Bottom