Comparing the Value of 100 Rupee , back then and now

AZADPAKISTAN2009

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
PakistanP41-100Rupees-(1986)-donatedth_f.jpg

When I was young quite young this note used to have great amount of value to it

Children used to strive to attain one of these for Eidi, well most never got one they were limited to 10 Rupee notes or 50 Rupee

If my Memory serves me correctly a 100 Rupee in 80's use to buy
  • 4 Plates of Tandoori Tikka
  • Rooti was Still relatively cheap 1,5,10 Rupees or so the price fluctuated
  • Now you could replace the Tikka with any Dish in restaurant family of 4
  • You could go get full service at Hotel / Waiter would come salute you and serve you food
  • You might also be able to get fresh coca cola bottle (Glass) or Pepsi drinks Chilled
  • You could also buy fridge full of icecream cups (Stash it)

>Now fast forward 2016 , after the burden on economy due to 70's war
>Refugee from Afghan free loading , and illegal migration
> Then war on Terror and loss of 100-300 Billion dollars to economy due to neighbour void zone

Today this same note , perhaps I would be suprised if it is still in circulation

However I am curious what can you get for a 100 Rupee note in Pakistan now ?

Would be really interested to know what can you get these days in Pakistan for the same bill

Today you can get 1.5 liter of Coke or Pepsi (costs Rs 80) and 1 small packet of Lays (Rs 20) and thats about it. While I don't remember what were the prices in the 80's as I was born in the later part of that decade but even in the first part of 90's it had quite a lot of value. Rs 100 was always a decent amount of Eidi and those giving Rs 500 were considered gods and it was only my father who used to give me Rs 1000, nobody else.

When I was young I used to laugh whenever an old man talked about the time when sugar cost RS 1 per kg and thought they were just halucinating or something. Now I remember that the first time I was sent to a tandoor in 95, people there were arguing about why the price of a roti has increased from Rs 0.5 to Rs 1, and today in Punjab and Islamabad a roti is Rs 8 and in Karachi I believe it is more than RS 10.

Tandoori Tika can cost you between 200-250 these days, that is per person. I buy two cups or sticks of Ice cream for my two girls when we go out for a walk and it mostly costs over 100 depending upon what their choices are that day.

In the late 50's / early 60's when I lived at the New Hostel, Gov't College Lahore. Rs100/- was my monthly allowance out of which I paid college & hostel fees, mess expenses and also included one rupee per day as my pocket money. By the way, there were two messes at that time Shiraz & Isfahan at the New hostel. Any one familiar with Gov't College Lahore let me know if these still exist.

Today you can get 1.5 liter of Coke or Pepsi (costs Rs 80) and 1 small packet of Lays (Rs 20) and thats about it. While I don't remember what were the prices in the 80's as I was born in the later part of that decade but even in the first part of 90's it had quite a lot of value. Rs 100 was always a decent amount of Eidi and those giving Rs 500 were considered gods and it was only my father who used to give me Rs 1000, nobody else.

When I was young I used to laugh whenever an old man talked about the time when sugar cost RS 1 per kg and thought they were just halucinating or something. Now I remember that the first time I was sent to a tandoor in 95, people there were arguing about why the price of a roti has increased from Rs 0.5 to Rs 1, and today in Punjab and Islamabad a roti is Rs 8 and in Karachi I believe it is more than RS 10.

Tandoori Tika can cost you between 200-250 these days, that is per person. I buy two cups or sticks of Ice cream for my two girls when we go out for a walk and it mostly costs over 100 depending upon what their choices are that day.

What is Eidi? A gift?

What is Eidi? A gift?
Well this is money children get on day of Eid. It is a custom for elders of the family to give Eidi to the young ones and also if you visit family or friend you have to give Eidi to their children as well and vice versa. That is the reason why muslim childern are so thrilled about the festival of Eid.

Though it is not always that you can use all of your Eidi, in my case and certainly in case of most of the Pakistanis our moms become all state banks on us and take the lionshare of the Eidi telling us either that they are keeping it safe for us or worse that they have to give Eidi to the childern of those who gave us Eidi, so we kind of owe them our Eidi.

So in most cases you just keep the Eidi that you get form your Grand mom and grand dad, mom and dad, brothers and sisters and rest goes to your mom's purse. By the third day of Eid the situation get quite tense between moms and the little ones of the house.

Rs 100 can get you two cornetto cone ice cream or 1 plate Haleem, mobile recharge card, If poor lad like me get Rs.100 as Eidi, it will really made my day and feel good!!

Last edited:
i still remember i was a kid my mother give me a shower and give me clean clothes and after that give me 1 rupee to go buy myself something and while i was going to the shop i check my pockets and there was another rupee and damn i start shouting i have 2 rupees i have 2 rupees cant explain that happiness :D

Before comparing devaluation count your life style as well ,In 1950`s people can hardly afford cycle now every one has cars and even more cars and wishes for aeroplanes . Inflation is a Karma which takes away every thing ,more money supply in the market more chances of devaluation .Maslow hierarchy theory in this regard is very important .
2000px-Maslow's_Hierarchy_of_Needs.svg.png

More money in the market more inflation

Before comparing devaluation count your life style as well ,In 1950`s people can hardly afford cycle now every one has cars and even more cars and wishes for aeroplanes . Inflation is a Karma which takes away every thing ,more money supply in the market more chances of devaluation .Maslow hierarchy theory in this regard is very important .
2000px-Maslow's_Hierarchy_of_Needs.svg.png

More money in the market more inflation
fcuk am stuck at level 2.

Most of the Pakistani`s are now stuck between 1 and 2 so yea this has resulted in inflation.

The last eid I celebrated in Pakistan was 2013 and I had to pay Eidi to a 6-yr old son of my friend, I gave him Rs 100 and he amazed me by saying "yeh tu aik dollar se bhi kam hai uncle...what can I buy with it"...so I realised my mistake and had to raise the amount after the embarrassment. Also that though the currency has been devalued over time, the kids have got a lot more smarter.

My dad used to say this while getting paid more and more( inline with inflation)... 100 is just a number what matters is how much you are capable of buying..
in UK for example there is a small inflation, but there is also a small wage compression at unskilled/semiskilled level, so you are worse off.

Well this is money children get on day of Eid. It is a custom for elders of the family to give Eidi to the young ones and also if you visit family or friend you have to give Eidi to their children as well and vice versa. That is the reason why muslim childern are so thrilled about the festival of Eid.

Though it is not always that you can use all of your Eidi, in my case and certainly in case of most of the Pakistanis our moms become all state banks on us and take the lionshare of the Eidi telling us either that they are keeping it safe for us or worse that they have to give Eidi to the childern of those who gave us Eidi, so we kind of owe them our Eidi.

So in most cases you just keep the Eidi that you get form your Grand mom and grand dad, mom and dad, brothers and sisters and rest goes to your mom's purse. By the third day of Eid the situation get quite tense between moms and the little ones of the house.

Its common practise on our subcontinent anyway. I do receive gifts on Deepavali or Pongal when relatives visit us, and saved a lot of money.
Finally one day it all got vanished. My mom had taken away all my savings, and she brought a few apples, and told that's it, it was spent well for u...

When I was young quite young this note used to have great amount of value to it

Children used to strive to attain one of these for Eidi, well most never got one they were limited to 10 Rupee notes or 50 Rupee

If my Memory serves me correctly a 100 Rupee in 80's use to buy
  • 4 Plates of Tandoori Tikka
  • Rooti was Still relatively cheap 1,5,10 Rupees or so the price fluctuated
  • Now you could replace the Tikka with any Dish in restaurant family of 4
  • You could go get full service at Hotel / Waiter would come salute you and serve you food
  • You might also be able to get fresh coca cola bottle (Glass) or Pepsi drinks Chilled
  • You could also buy fridge full of icecream cups (Stash it)

>Now fast forward 2016 , after the burden on economy due to 70's war
>Refugee from Afghan free loading , and illegal migration
> Then war on Terror and loss of 100-300 Billion dollars to economy due to neighbour void zone

Today this same note , perhaps I would be suprised if it is still in circulation

However I am curious what can you get for a 100 Rupee note in Pakistan now ?

Would be really interested to know what can you get these days in Pakistan for the same bill

Interesting comparison but it doesn't necessarily reflect the true state of affairs. For starters, if you are comparing 80s' PKR100 with 2016's, you should also compare some other metrics as well. What was the minimum wage back then? Let take a daily wager's earnings as a benchmark. PKR100 was powerful enough to buy you a luxurious meal but how many days did it take a mazdoor to earn it? Then if you want to make it really interesting you have to account for inflation and things like purchasing power.

Since your flag shows you are abroad, I am not sure if you are aware that a day's wage for low skilled mazdoor is around PKR600 (in Pindi/Isb). I hope it gives you an idea of my line of thinking.

Believe it or not, despite these gloomy nostalgic rants of our people such yours, Pakistani people are much better economically than they were in say 80s or 90s.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom