What's new

Comparing Educational Attainment in India & Pakistan

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
As of 2010, there are 380 out of every 1000 Pakistanis age 15 and above who have never had any formal schooling. Of the remaining 620 who enrolled in school, 22 dropped out before finishing primary school, and the remaining 598 completed it. There are 401 out of every 1000 Pakistanis who made it to secondary school. 290 completed secondary school while 111 dropped out. Only 55 made it to college out of which 39 graduated with a degree.

The preceding assessment is based on an interpretation offered by Indian blogger Siddarth Vij of Barro-Lee data in response to my earlier blog post titled Pakistan Ahead of India in Graduation at All Levels. Robert Barro and Jong-Wha Lee are Harvard University researchers whose data on educational attainment is used by UNDP and the World Bank. Here's how Vij read Barro-Lee dataset for India:

"327 out of every 1000 Indians above the age of 15 have never had any formal schooling. Of the remaining 673, only 20 dropped out during primary school. Once we got kids into primary school, we managed to make sure that they completed it. In secondary school, however, the situation is markedly different. 465 out of every 1000 Indians made it to secondary school but 394 dropped out without completing. Only 58 made it to college out of which a little more than half graduated with a degree"

Putting the two together, here's how the two South Asian neighbors compare:

As of 2010, there are 380 (vs 327 Indians) out of every 1000 Pakistanis age 15 and above who have never had any formal schooling. Of the remaining 620 (vs 673 Indians) who enrolled in school, 22 (vs 20 Indians) dropped out before finishing primary school, and the remaining 598 (vs 653 Indians) completed it. There are 401 (vs 465 Indians) out of every 1000 Pakistanis who made it to secondary school. 290 (vs 69 Indians) completed secondary school while 111 (vs. 394 Indians) dropped out. Only 55 (vs 58 Indians) made it to college out of which 39 (vs 31 Indians) graduated with a degree.

While Vij's explanation of Barro-Lee data-set sounds quite plausible, I still stand by my conclusion made in the earlier post that the percentage of population that completed secondary and tertiary education in Pakistan is higher than that in India.

Barro-Lee-Ind-Pak.jpg

Another important point to note in Barro-Lee dataset is that Pakistan has been increasing enrollment of students in schools at a faster rate since 1990 than India. In 1990, there were 66.2% of Pakistanis vs 51.6% of Indians who had no schooling. In 2000, there were 60.2% Pakistanis vs 43% Indians with no schooling. In 2010, Pakistan reduced it to 38% vs India's 32.7%.

Out-of-School%2BChildren%2BUN%2B2011.png

Clearly, both India and Pakistan have made significant progress on the education front in the last few decades. However, the Barro-Lee dataset confirms that the two South Asian nations still have a long way to go to catch up with the rapidly developing nations of East Asia as well as the industrialized world.

Haq's Musings: Educational Attainment in India & Pakistan

^^I have already proved it to you that barrow-lee data for India secondary school is wrong.

Don't worry Huq Data is always wrong , when you prove it wrong , he don't have enough courage to accept that , he come again with another figure and twist and tilt to show PAK in good and India in bad , but every time he proved wrong and he don't have answer when he got wrong proved.

UNICEF=INDIA
Youth (15-24 years) literacy rate (%), 2005-2010*, male
88%
Youth (15-24 years) literacy rate (%), 2005-2010*, female
75%
http://http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/pakistan_pakistan_statistics.html
UNICEF=PAKISTAN
Youth (15-24 years) literacy rate (%), 2005-2010*, male
79%
Youth (15-24 years) literacy rate (%), 2005-2010*, female
61%
http://http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/india_statistics.html
IN PAKISTAN 40 % GIRLS NOT ATTEND SCHOOL FORGET IN 60% MANY MADRASSA EDUCATED BOYS AND GIRLS.
AND YOUR STATICS TOTALLY WRONG

India came LAST in the worldwide OECD Educational tests.

Also, I would say that Pakistanis in general display a much greater level of intelligence than Indians (in my experience).

We just don't care............Let the Indians IQ be the least in world.....................and get satisfied by your experience...........Chill

We just don't care............Let the Indians IQ be the least in world.....................and get satisfied by your experience...........Chill

So you agree that Pakistanis are far more intelligent than Indians?

Good man. :cheers:

As a side note, almost all of India's so-called "historical inventions" took place in the Indus Valley Civilization, i.e. in what is now modern-day Pakistan.

Also, I would say that Pakistanis in general display a much greater level of intelligence than Indians (in my experience).

Here we go again "The Standards Authority of China" mass printing Certificates for Pakistan.

Do you want to dwell in further generalization?

If we are to believe the Global IQ tests that show India with an average IQ of 81, that is quite damning.

In fact that score indicates something close to borderline retardation.

Well your rhetoric in majority of your posts is spewing hatred towards Indian, how can any one take your posts seriously?

Back
Top Bottom