What's new

Featured Commander Iraqi Air Force, along with his delegation visited Air Headquarters & JSHQ

Most probably a graduate of PAF Academy. They were the best pilots under Saddam, but not too good under PAF standards.
Iraqis by habit or design hated Pakistan. especially during Sadam time. I hope the relations are at best the level of UAE or Qatar.

hope for more cooperation between two air forces
Iraq is looking for training and equipment from Pakistan. Some reports say almost all F16 grounded. Iraq is looking for new aircraft.
Iraqis by habit or design hated Pakistan. especially during Sadam time. I hope the relations are at best the level of UAE or Qatar.
During Zia era , PA Kakul trained many Iraqi officers. There course mate used to tell funny stories about these cadets ...

Yep, they are BVR capable via MICA, however, its quite a dated system with glaring vulnerabilities as seen on the 27th for modern combat. However, the MICA is a formidable missile and id take one any day over an R-77(RVV-AE)
coupled with apg68 and look how it do wonders

Iraqis by habit or design hated Pakistan. especially during Sadam time.
That was a long time back, but things have changed. Atleast I can attest to that after spending time in Baghdad, Erbil and Sulaymaniyah (and that was between 2007 and 2011).

I think they felt betrayed by a number of countries during the Gulf War '91. Pakistan didn't actually play a role during Op. Desert Storm, but our name did pop up - as did others.

I think Iraqi's realized that its not in their interest to hold a grudge, since they can't afford it.

That was a long time back, but things have changed. Atleast I can attest to that after spending time in Baghdad, Erbil and Sulaymaniyah (and that was between 2007 and 2011).

I think they felt betrayed by a number of countries during the Gulf War '91. Pakistan didn't actually play a role during Op. Desert Storm, but our name did pop up - as did others.

I think Iraqi's realized that its not in their interest to hold a grudge, since they can't afford it.
back in 70s to 80s they were very much active in together with Soviets against us. their name did pop up during Gen Zia time in some of the terror activities and assassinations. during Gulf war there was no love lost.
we were clearly there in Support of Kuwait and KSA and that was the right thing to do. although some Pakistanis naively supported sadam (thinking his invasion of Kuwait was the beginning of liberation of Palestine), Sadam was hardcore communist and didnt care about faith much but to sucker in the Muslims like Pakistanis he had some photos taken of himself praying during the gulf war and our population saw Salah uddin Ayubi and Hazrat Umar Ibn Khattab RA in him.

that all aside. Iraq as a country has suffered a lot. first the brutal Sadam regime and then economic sanctions and the American led invasions, civil wars and the worse form of terrorists in the shape of Daesh.

you are right. those times are gone. as for our relations, its a new fresh start and I hope for only better things with them. our direct military relations with them are a step in right direction. military to military relations are a good start and they should expand into trade and commerce, education and other social avenues.
lets pray that both Pakistan and Iraq recover and tackle the menace of terrorism.

The Baath killed a strong emerging bloc between Turkey, Iran, Iraq and Pakistan in the 60's. History has shown them as fools. The Iran Iraq war and invasion of Kuwait were foolish actions that accomplished nothing and lead to their demise. They had good relations with India.....India did little for them on the ground.

Hopefully new leaders in Baghdad will correct these mistakes and reconsider a broader regional bloc with non Arabs.

Last edited:
The nature of the thread is about Egypt, and you hadn't clarified the source of those concerns, so naturally my instinct turned towards Iranian getting their hands on Egyptian F16's. Yes, Iraqi ones should be a concern.

Some people like this site, some don't, but the article seems to be sensibly written. The deficiencies do point to largely a missile range gap, but also refers to the differences with the internal sensors, which would make sense, considering American sensitivities towards Israeli security.

https://militarywatchmagazine.com/a...o-match-for-the-israel-s-own-fighting-falcons

I am unsure how you made the mental leap from Iran getting it's hands on Iraqi F-16s to Egyptian air force, that is amazing mental gymnastics......

Link you provided still proves nothing about Iraqi F-16s.

If you do not like this site I suggest stop posting

I am unsure how you made the mental leap from Iran getting it's hands on Iraqi F-16s to Egyptian air force, that is amazing mental gymnastics......

Link you provided still proves nothing about Iraqi F-16s.

If you do not like this site I suggest stop posting

We were having a normal discussion, why are you getting your panties in a twist?
Where is the cause for getting personal, mind your manners or I can give just as good, stop being a nutcase.

What is your problem?

We were having a normal discussion, why are you getting your panties in a twist?
Where is the cause for getting personal, mind your manners or I can give just as good, stop being a nutcase.

What is your problem?

Nothing to do with manners or male undergarments, you made a claim about Iraqi F-16s being downgraded, I asked you for proof, now you seem to be panicking and resorting to a personal attack in order to deflect from your lack of evidence to back up prior claims.

Nothing to do with manners or male undergarments, you made a claim about Iraqi F-16s being downgraded, I asked you for proof, now you seem to be panicking and resorting to a personal attack in order to deflect from your lack of evidence to back up prior claims.

I think some wires have been crossed here. I've just read through our discussion, you replied to my post, and for some reason Egyptian F16s were on my mind, cant think why, maybe I logged in here after having read on a similar topic and that was the nature of the query in my mind for bilal, and when you replied, I just carried on with that thought.

If you read back, I never claimed anything about about Iraq, because my initial post for bilal was with a certain query in my head, he hadn't replied and you did, so that thought carried on into our discussion, read back and you'll understand.

Rather then accusing and telling me where I can go, sometimes it is better to just ask for clarification, because misunderstandings can happen, and if I behave rudely to your query, then you can tell me where to go. Not before.

No panic involved, and no personal attack, it was simply a response to your harsh comments, which I am happy to withdraw, with an apology towards my part of this misunderstanding.

Other then this misunderstanding, I rather liked our discussion.

Sorry to bust some bubbles here but US will not only not approve sales of Euro F-16s, most of those countries might not sell them to us either. PAF tried this approach before and it didnt work, hence we had to buy old block 15s from Jordan as a compromise vs the MLU aircraft that were available for sale in Europe at the time.
Same goes for Iraqi F-16s. There is almost no risk of Iran getting their hands on them and if Americans even suspected that, they would fly, have them flown or simply destroyed on the ground before that happens. Besides, Iraqis will never want Iran to have access to their US military equipment as it will basically bring down the wrath of a superpower, and they know what they results of that will be first hand.

Sorry to bust some bubbles here but US will not only not approve sales of Euro F-16s, most of those countries might not sell them to us either. PAF tried this approach before and it didnt work, hence we had to buy old block 15s from Jordan as a compromise vs the MLU aircraft that were available for sale in Europe at the time.
Same goes for Iraqi F-16s. There is almost no risk of Iran getting their hands on them and if Americans even suspected that, they would fly, have them flown or simply destroyed on the ground before that happens. Besides, Iraqis will never want Iran to have access to their US military equipment as it will basically bring down the wrath of a superpower, and they know what they results of that will be first hand.
If we see track history of US they will release used or even third party blk52s only if PAF commit herself to new blk 70 standards. Just releasing used jetts has no profit for US so for these deals new 36-52 blk 70 are very important.

PAF for hire?
PAF can help Iraqi AF just like it is helping Nigerian AF?
Do you work? If you do do you not hire your body and the skills that you have? PAF has a long tradition of helping friendly AFs out so what is the problem with them training the Iraqis if they require it?
If we see track history of US they will release used or even third party blk52s only if PAF commit herself to new blk 70 standards. Just releasing used jetts has no profit for US so for these deals new 36-52 blk 70 are very important.
An interesting conundrum. PAF is not-as desperate as it was in-90s and 2000s and we think we have choices( or at least give the impression,!). Furthermore it cannot pay full price for the 72s nor should we
So the deal if made will require USA releasing the CSF money and-other-monies owed to us. Or give us some rebate making the buy worthwhile.
If that is the case PAF will grab as much as it can of the 16s new and old. If not we walk. The US will have to juggle with whether they want to push us fully in the Chinese camp or do they want to retain some influence but they seem to be bleeding money due to bad trade and loss of lives due to Covid19. However let us see what happens post elections.
In the matter of the 16s we are eternally hopeful. Secondly 2 squadrons of MLUs will give us breathing space and more time to make our baby a bit more better.
A

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom