What's new

Coke Studio 12

At Coke Studio12, the rendition of Wohi Khuda Hai presents Atif Aslam in a space that explores the very essence of the hamd; a glorification of the Divine.
Through this exclusive BTS, become part of our journey to re-create this soulful piece.

Like season six, when Coke Studio with Rohail Hyatt as producer, opened with one song before getting into multiple-song episodes, in the much-talked about and highly anticipated season 12, something similar is about to happen. Sources report that Atif Aslam will be performing one song – a heavyweight in his own right – called ‘Wohi Khuda Hai’. We’re getting spiritual vibes already.

A hamd penned by Muzaffar Warsi, the lyrics of ‘Wohi Khuda Hai’ reflect the praise of God as the omnipotence, who maintains the balance and harmony in the universe. It is about the connection with the divine and was made famous by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.

Reflecting on his life journey, Atif Aslam has said, “I still don’t think I have made it. When I started, for the first few years, I used to think, with fame and money, I’d made it. But after that I asked myself, ‘What have you made? This is all material that you have.’ After that, the real search started. That is when the fun started. Even today, I am caught in that search. I will keep at it, always.”

The behind the scene footage will be out, describing the visual journey of the making of the hamd if it hasn’t already. The devout track is scheduled to release on October 11, marking the opening of the season.

Atif Aslam takes over India with Coke Studio’s rendition of ‘Wohi Khuda Hai’

541086_1535207_1_updates.gif

Atif Aslam takes over India with Coke Studio’s rendition of ‘Wohi Khuda Hai’. Photo: YouTube.

Pakistan’s shining star Atif Aslam may have enchanted all Coke Studio fans with his rendition of the classic Wohi Khuda Hai in Pakistan but the singer’s melodic vocals have also won over fans from across the border despite him being banned in India.

Indian fans were head over heels for the 36-year-old Tajdar-e-Haram hit maker as they could not help but gush over his powerful delivery of the iconic hamd that opened Coke Studio’s 12th season earlier this week.

Social media users could not help but point out that while Aslam remains barred from entering India’s showbiz, his magical and enchanting voice is still making waves and taking over social media platforms in the neighbouring country.

As per reports, the cover of the Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan original song even landed amongst the top ten trends on YouTube in India.

Tanzeela@Tanzeela_x

https://twitter.com/Tanzeela_x/status/1182963588564168704

That awkward moment when you’ve banned @itsaadee from your country but he’s trending on 8 on youtube in India LOL! #wohikhudahai https://twitter.com/cokestudio/status/1182603107940884480 …

Coke Studio
#WohiKhudaHai, a praise of God as the One Creator of a system that runs in balance and harmony, recited in the voice of Atif Aslam. @itsaadee#CokeStudio12https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74cVT_tUpck
https://twitter.com/cokestudio/status/1182603107940884480

Atif Aslam, Rohail Hyatt, and Coke Studio’s fruitful Friday package

October 14, 2019
https://tribune.com.pk/story/2078949/4-atif-aslam-rohail-hyatt-coke-studios-powerful-friday-package/
2078949-atof-1571033787-728-640x480.jpg

KARACHI:
Music, unlike visual arts is non-representational. It is the audience and their own subjectivities that give it meaning. The sonic experience is fluid yet malleable, allowing us, the listeners to choose the story we want it to tell or be a part of.

Tolkein’s lament for fallen warrior Boromir in Lord of the Rings once triggered a sense of curiosity in a student who was in a state of awe and shock to find parallels with his own Shiite tradition of lamination.

We look for emotions, symbols and even signals that may have not even existed in the creator’s head and fulfill our own need for a narrative; both as an individual and a collective(nation).

It’s a culture we practise on a daily basis and a practise that advertising and branding culture thrives on; sell happiness when you are sad, depth when you feel shallow, atonement when you have quite certainly sinned or paradoxically, shower blessings for the Muslim ummah when they are already on top of their faith game cos #Jummahmubarak.

2076408-atifmain-1570694330-898-640x480.jpg

PHOTO: KOHI MARRI FOR COKE STUDIO SEASON 12

On Friday afternoon, your foremost rockstar sang verses of God’s greatness dressed in all white. His band froze out of reverence. The expressions on his face flew between repentance and humility while you were glued to your chair in a state of awe and then respect as Holy Prophet (PBUH) and his family are mentioned.

What is indeed, and no one is doubting it, a culmination of Atif Aslam’s journey towards Allah was essentially a case study in how you merge venerative demeanor and sacred verses to offer what can at best be classified as devotional pop.

It hits the spot like a hit song but doesn’t aspire to be one, and that is where Rohail Hyatt, Atif Aslam, and Coke Studio have struck gold and possibly found a formula that’ll stay relevant for another 10 seasons to come.

With more than ten million views in three days, Coke Studio 12 is off to a fiery start. The comment sections on YouTube and Facebook is operating on a different tangent altogether, “Hit like if you want a ticket to Madina,” is one of the first comments to have appeared on YouTube, and after getting a thousand likes or so the same comment was repeated in different ways again and again.

Atif Aslam singing a popular Hamd was clearly a huge factor and so was Rohail Hyatt, but the unprecedented success of the first track also owes to the fact that it was the only track to be released.

The audience got the breathing space to absorb, gestate and reflect over a track and invest themselves without any distractions. It takes time to form an opinion about something as subjective as music and the audience, for a change got that time, till the track grew on them, leading to discourse about whether Muzaffar Warsi or NFAK would have liked this rendition at all.

Carefully timed and planned digital strategy has now raised the bar and expectations for Coke Studio 12, which the forthcoming songs will definitely not fulfill, but who cares anymore? A formula that was introduced by Strings has been mastered by Rohail, in his own, understated, minimal and visually low-key, fashion.

atif-2-1570694157.jpg

PHOTO: KOHI MARRI FOR COKE STUDIO SEASON 12

The visual team headed by Laal Kabootar director Kamal Khan and Zeeshan Pervez has removed all the strobe lights, fancy moving spots and made the visuals, just like the audio quite subtle, rather than one oozing Coca Cola red and blacks. It’s no longer a fancy dress show either, though the promo shows that stylists have been quite on-trend in the peppier numbers but less is more seems like an overarching philosophy for now.

On the audio front, a fellow culture writer who is also a musician pointed out that the mix of Wohi Khuda Hai reflects that Rohail has spent time with the concept of sound. You can hear each and every instrument clearly and the sum of parts add up to an overall whole; which isn’t meant to yell its presence but rather register its impact.

There are no needless breaks just a short and soft acoustic solo to complement the overall somber, meditative vibe. Perhaps that’s why Rohail chose to tune all instruments at 432 Hz, which is not the Western tuning standard, but one that is believed to represent nature’s or universe’s frequency; a number of old folk instruments, church bells etc and largely most of your meditative music is set to 432 instead of the 440Hz Western standard.

Though there is no empirical proof of whether it affects the listener’s experience, a number of artists prefer 432 as an ideological choice rather than an aesthetic preference.

969650-Photowithcaptioncopy-1444316216-919-640x480.jpg

Among the most downloaded songs on Taazi is Atif Aslam’s Tajdar-e-Haram. PHOTOS: PUBLICITY

A bit unexpected was to notice Atif’s voice bursting out at transitions. After some incredibly seamless scale changes while reciting the lines ‘Woh.. Jaan.. Leta.. Hai..’, it breaks out of texture and key at ‘Niyattein Bhi.’

Yes, indeed it is a difficult composition to recite and Nusrat could go to spaces in the soundscape that angels feared peeping into, but still, the flips and a slight unsteadiness in his overall singing were shocking. He was certainly not as much at peace as he was with Tajdar-e-Haram, which was also a pretty difficult composition to execute.

Perhaps it was the absence of a groove? Perhaps it was the minimalistic arrangement? Or maybe it is Atif’s nightmares about classical singing coming true. “I can get classical training but will I be able to retain the soul in my expression?” he had responded rhetorically to Sajjad Ali’s question on his web show Ke Kun Kly.

It is an open secret in industry circles that Atif is taking classical singing lessons but it is too premature and farfetched to say it has affected his soul, for it was still a very well-delivered performance. Perhaps the soul is in a transitory phase. We hope so.

Coke Studio 12
5da2903ac91e1.jpg

This is what we do wrong every time a new season of Coke Studio is about to hit the airwaves: we expect that it’s going to be multiple times better than the last one.

This time round, expectations are even higher because Rohail Hyatt is once again holding the reins of the programme. Give him a break and don’t bury him under too much pressure. So far, judging by whatever we have seen in the promos for Season 12, things are looking fine. Don’t invest too much in the ‘spirituality, identity and geography’ phrase. Just chill and enjoy the music.

Rahat Fateh Ali Khan is set to perform on Coke Studio season 12's first episode

Episode 1 will also feature Zoe Viccaji, Shahab Hussain and the Barkat Jamal Fakir Troupe.

5da8293fc9288.jpg

Rahat Fateh Ali Khan.—Photos by Kohi Marri for Coke Studio Season 12

Atif Aslam slayed his opening performance of 'Wohi Khuda Hai' in Coke Studio and now we're excited for more.

Season 12 is finally releasing its first episode tomorrow on Friday and we have the line up. And boy, is it a line up.

Rahat Fateh Ali Khan will perform 'Dam Mastam', a track that celebrates Shahbaz Qalandar's love for Maula Ali.

“As long as a spiritual artist respects their craft, peace prevails. It is wonderful when a singer has a noble cause, when they are spreading a message of love, peace, and brotherhood as presented by our saints, without greed of money or the world. This is the real purpose of qawwali.” said Rahat Fateh Ali Khan.

Another Coke Studio favourite returning for the first episode is Zoe Viccaji, who will perform Sahir Ali Bagga's written 'Ram Pam' which tells the tale of a lovestruck girl confiding to a wise Baba about the state of her enraptured heart.

5da8293fd444c.jpg

Zoe Viccaji singing "Ram Pam".—Kohi Marri for Coke Studio Season 12

The track will be a lighthearted one, showing the fun side of love rather than the forlorn tragedy we're used to listening.

“I think people are trying to come back to Eastern music. There’s this thirst to know our roots again, what we originated [from] in this part of the world. That’s what I’m trying to do with new music. I will write something in a Western way because that is what I was brought up with, but my instrumentation [is inspired by] theory of raags and notes. I’ve grown up with Western styles; the idea is to see how I can make that fuse with Eastern. At the end of the day what is music? It is something which is emotionally transporting you. How do you do it? I don’t know if there are any rules, but my mission is to try and find a new way of doing it.” said Zoe Viccaji.

For 'Ram Pam' Zoe will be joined by Shahab Hussain, who is usually Coke Studio's backing vocalist but now is getting a feature as he duets with Viccaji, being the voice of the Baba Bhatti in the track.

5da82940907e3.jpg

Barkat Jamal Fakir Troupe.—Kohi Marri for Coke Studio Season 12

For their last performance, coke Studio is bringing the tale of Heer Ranjha a new twist as the Barkat Jamal Fakir Troupe perform 'Maahi Diyaan Jhokaan', described as 'a piece of Sufi transcendence.'

“Music is nutrition for the soul. Before we even sing the song, we listen to it. We understand it, then we sing it. Since my childhood, this has been my soul’s nutrition. When I sing, my soul finds peace.” said Barkat Jamal.

Coke Studio 12 presents a Seraiki Sufi track, Maahi Diyaan Jhokaan, which explores the journey that requires one to look inwards and sacrifice all the temptations of this world, in the resonant vocals of the Barkat Jamal Fakir Troupe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom