What's new

Clinton lectures Pakistan, Pakistanis lecture Clinton

No, the GoP is responding to both the wishes and the apathy of the Pakistani people.

interesting ... I think US is trying to save $6.5B for local consumption ... in all fairness that money should be used at home because there is no trust between Pakistan and US so there will be no hearts won at our end with that aid (especially after this statement)

wt Hilary said is not "holy" word at all! it is crap that cooked in her own mind! this is like some day Rehman Malik say "Al-qaida is in Russia" and would u people believe on that? no for sure then y on her?

Clinton confesses to be wrestling with the issue that the U.S. is doing a great deal for Pakistan but still is not regarded as a friend. She has discovered that many Pakistanis have the opinion that there are two things the U.S. must never do: assist Pakistan in its struggle or leave it alone. Confronted with that kind of schizophrenic mind-set, she clearly believes that psychological therapy is more important than diplomatic niceties.

The question is about perspective, in urs or hers or US perspective they think they are doing great, but from our perspective not. Aid is not just the only issue, there are many other issues to be dealt by US in helping Pakistan to overcome this menace. e.g the support to some Baloch insurgents from within Afghanistan under the nose of US but US hasn't done anything, the flow of drug money, weapons to the TTP from Afghanistan, TTP has such sophisticated weapons & communication system that even the Afghan Taliban don't have, TTP has equipment through which they can listen to PA radio communication, how the hell did they got it when even the Afghan Taliban don't have. WE have been shouting for helicopters & air power, but US has been very very slow in providing it, drone strikes another matter, Indian consulates openly indulging in anti-pakistan activities under the US nose, even the latest assessment by Gen Macrstyal did mention the Indian factors one way or another, as for the US10B$US aid, plz check some of the threads that how much has been spend where & how, Pakistan asked for fencing & mining the border with Afghanistan which was rejected, Pakistan proposed for a biometric database system installation at the border checkpoints, rejected too. The American embassy officials very suspicious activities, the renting of specific places & then not letting in even the Pakistani officials. US is offering all kind of latest weapons to India whose arch rival is Pakistan, but we get ban on buying weapons and whichever are given we are asked that they are not to be used against India, while India can very easily use the US supplied against us. Similarly so many other things which does make us think that what is in reality that US wants, they ask us to do more and the US army or NATO equipped with the most lethal & effective weapons & advanced systems can't control things in Afghanistan. WE have lost nearly 3 times more soldiers then you, thousands of civilians killed, 35B$US loss to our economy and still you guys ask us to do more. We have lost 35B+$ and you give us 10B$, in which the majority are weapon purchases and the money went to the US defence manufacturers itself. Come on, do some justice.

Even if US leaves us, we are capable enough to defend our country & nation from the TTP thugs, but the cost to pay would be very high. The result is gonna be increase in problems on the Afghan side.

We don't have a problem in US assisting us, but if they want to do then it should be whole heartily, our concerns should be fully addressed and there should be no double game playing.

U guys do remember how US went to war with Cuba after finding out nuclear missiles would be just in the backyard of US, same is the case with us, we don't want to have an enemy in our backyard when we are being faced by a bully from the front of the house.

Though, I would admit how Hillary said was bit insulting, but gist of message was the truth.

This truth is not hidden from us, we all do know, but i am not sure what came in the mind of Ms. Clinton that she had to spill such a secret, a secret known through out the world. Bit of stupidity on her part i would say. She was under fire, so to counter that she had to say something stupid as there was nothing else with her to counter the fire from the Pakistanis.

Why is that many Pakistanis feel that they should be bailed out by some country because of the "strategic assets" nurtured by their own generals all these years.

If some country literally paying to fight the terrorists you have habored and your army trying to fight a war to secure its own homeland, you still expect some other country to finance you for this?

I am not sure what kind of history is being told in the US, but before 9/11, we had no problems in Pakistan due to these so called militants, nor where they against us. Plus US had also a good role in nurturing these terrorist, so kindly read the history well from some neutral source. We had no target killings, no suicide bombings, even there was not a single PA boot in the tribal area.

Again to correct your history, these so called militants were running their own country before getting invaded. Still if you kindly check the latest figures they are ruling their 72% of the countryside, so they don't need to come here to get a refuge. And if you read, this was not our war but has been made by some unknown characters. The Afghan Taliban openly disassociated themselves from the TTP and have asked all of them to come to Afghanistan and fight there not against PA, but as the TTP is foreign funded with the help of some traitors, it has become our fight. And even if we don't get payed or given aid, we can still defend our country very well but the cost would be a high one, but if it came to that, we can do it. In the past also we survived without any aid and with sanctions. Plus, what the worlds most feared, lethal and most advanced armed forces can't do in Afghanistan, we have been doing that with very little resources. Time has come up to this that analysts are calling US to copy the strategy adopted by PA in countering these TTP thugs, as its the success formula. Plus we have lost much more then what we have been paid,do some reading about the figures.

I didnt realize that America was blaming Pakistan. Can you even quote what failure of America did Pakistan get blamed for?

Is it that Pakistan government should have known all these years about the Osama and not helping US? If this is what you were referring to, then how can Hillary not know that Gill, ex-ISI chief openly supporting Taliban and Osama.

Sir, do some homework before you write, i believe you haven't heard the American ranting about "DO MORE" to Pakistan, as they can't control Afghanistan, they blame that Taliban are doing all this by sitting in the Pakistani tribal area, while forgetting that Taliban control 72% of Afghanistan, which is many times larger then the Pakistani tribal area. And as for Osama, well i do believe you know that America's CIA had also worked with him and knew him as well as ISI did. Shouldn't be a surprise. Well I have seen him supporting the Afghan Taliban, why, that should be clear. And as for Osama, well he must be supporting him due to his personality or character for such outstanding performance (not 9/11 or killing of innocent), am talking about other performance.

I think you are confused about US money and Pakistani money. US borrows and does all things for its own good. US does not have to share money with Pakistan.

Just because US bailed out US bankers, does not mean Pakistan should get its cut! Mr. 10% might think otherwise, but atleast you should not!

Personally, i would not even like one cent from US, as we can generate enough money from our own resources, but alas we have politician stooges who are experts in begging only, not at running a country or nation, our bad luck.

Plus i am not confused, i believe you did not got the perspective from which i was talking about.

Pakistan was a loyal friend too! They always supported countries with no interests. They were helping America for free as we all know. Even now, the debate is how much should America rebate Pakistan for its internal war?

Infact, if you can lookup youtube and you find more videos from Pakistan supporting taliban and shouting against US. So much for the friendship.

Again speaking with some distorted history, please check up Pakistan before 9/11, it was never our war, it had been thrust upon us due to the incompetent policies of US and due to the incompetent,corrupt US backed puppet govt of Afghanistan. If US had been able to control things in Afghanistan, we would not have been seeing these days. As said even if US does not give us a cent, we can finish our war with our own resources, but then US shouldn't be asking us to do more or sending in drones. They should solve Afghanistan with their own power, not by asking us to do more. And once again just for your information, we have lost more then 35B$US due to this US War on the weak and what US has given is nothing compared to it. We are saving the arse of US, we can very well take care of our own arse. Its US which can't take care of its own arse.

Before coming up with some ridiculous post, plzz do some study of the conflict and what in true is happening.

And as for those anti-US and pro-taliban videos and thoughts by Pakistanis, plz do read the above post due to which we don't trust US and its real objectives. Also, for the hate for US, other factors, like supporting of Israel in killing thousands of innocent Muslims with US supplied weapons and military aid, unlawful and unmoral invasion of Iraq, killing of thousands of Iraqis, invading Afghanistan, then again killing of thousands there, killing of thousands of Pakistanis, all innocent human beings and Muslims are very good factors to hate US. If you are in reality an Indian, then just imagine what you think and wish to do after you hear killing of Indian soldiers by Kashmiri Mujahedin who are backed by Pakistan or when innocent Indians get killed by some religious fanatics who are alleged to be based in Pakistan, i do hope your blood boils to 100 centigrade and hate fills inside you. Similar was seen with Sikhs when they were subjected to killings and their holy places getting blown up, or when Muslims saw Babri Masjid getting razed to the ground or when Kashmiris see their holy places gutted to the ground or their women getting raped and killed, hundreds of examples in the world to see.

Point is just that there are many other factors to bring hate between people, nations and countries due to which we perceive who is an enemy and who is not.

ISLAMABAD: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton wound up a bridge-building visit to Pakistan on Friday leaving a pointed question ringing in her hosts’ ears: Where are the al Qaeda leaders operating in your country?

While no Pakistani officials were immediately prepared to answer, ordinary citizens told Washington’s top diplomat the country was living on a daily basis with the consequences of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks engineered by the militant Islamist group.

While most Pakistanis are against the extremists, many also believe they are fuelled by Islamabad’s links with Washington.

On Thursday Clinton expressed disbelief no-one in authority knew where al Qaeda leaders were hiding out – a remark that may fuel much reaction once she leaves the country.

‘I find it hard to believe that nobody in your government knows where they are and couldn’t get them if they really wanted to,’ she told a group of newspaper editors during a meeting in Lahore.

Clinton’s pointed remark was the first public gripe on a trip aimed at turning around a US-Pakistan relationship under serious strain, but bound in the struggle against religious extremism.

Clinton’s main message in Pakistan – that the forces binding Pakistanis and Americans together are far stronger than those dividing them – was constant, and she urged audiences to stand guard against extreme religious doctrine that seeks to impose its will on the population.

CLINTON DEFENDS BLUNT WORDS ON PAKISTAN

Hillary Clinton defended her blunt talk on Pakistan, saying it was important to have an open relationship between the countries even if it meant some tough words.

She defended her comments, that it was ‘hard to believe’ that no one in Pakistan’s government knew where al Qaeda leaders were hiding, in a series of morning television interviews aired in the United States on Friday.

‘I wanted to get that out on the table, because the Pakistanis have talked about a trust deficit and it’s a two-way street,’ Clinton said in an interview shown on NBC’s ‘Today Show.’ ‘We have questions, they have questions.’

In an interview aired on ABC’s ‘Good Morning America,’ Clinton said the two countries needed to be more open with each other.

‘It will not be sufficient to achieve the level of security that Pakistanis deserve if we don’t go after those who are still threatening not only Pakistan but Afghanistan and the rest of the world.’

In an interview with CNN, Clinton noted that she had been asking a question of Pakistan but did prejudge the answer. She also said the United States applauded Pakistan’s resolve for going after Taliban extremists.

‘But let’s not forget, they (the Taliban fighters) are now part of a terrorist syndicate that, in sort of classic syndicate terms, would be headed by al Qaeda,’ she told CNN.

FRIENDS AND SKEPTICS

Many participating in Clinton’s numerous public appearances in Pakistan expressed appreciation for US backing for the country and for Clinton’s personal outreach.

But more frequently Clinton’s ‘people to people’ diplomacy – with journalists, students and common people – has been characterised by sharp disagreements and deep distrust.

That is a potentially worrying sign for officials in Washington hoping to reverse a steep rise in anti-US sentiment in the increasingly fragile nuclear armed country.

Through it all, Clinton has proved unflappable, acknowledging the ‘trust deficit’ created by past US mistakes while firmly responding to charges the United States does not have Pakistan’s best interests at heart.

Clinton, who professes deep personal affection for Pakistan and its people, was cautiously optimistic her visit may have changed a few hearts and minds among fearful Pakistanis although she said much more needed to be done to illustrate how the United States is helping the country.

‘I’m going to try as hard as I can. But ultimately, we have to have actions between the two of us. Words are not enough,’ she said at a women’s gathering.—Reuters

I don't doubt that the biggest factor is whose perceptions are correct. The U.S. had been warning Pakistan for years about its home-grown Taliban, only to be blown off. Now it's a struggle for life and death. What deoes that tell you about whose perceptions - and facts - were correct?

Same for Israel and other bones to pick with the U.S. The Pakistani diplomats in Washington are indeed aware of the disconnect between what they know and feel is right and what the folks at home believe and what position their country should hold for maximum advantage. They don't know what to do about this - they feel the decision isn't up to them. But if all they do is report back what the folks at home want to hear, are they really serving their country well? Isn't that one of the reasons Pakistan is fighting the Talibs today, when it could have taken care of them as a police matter seven years ago?

At least she showed some guts which the people even after having balls couldn't do.

As for Ms. Clinton or any major US official, whenever they come to Pakistan, they have something stupid remarks waiting to spill, contrary to the reality. Some i believe get so much drunk the previous night that the next day they have no idea what they are gonna say. Or they get so much screwed up in their traveling or visits or load of work that they can't track their trail of statements They say something in Afghanistan & India & after coming to Pakistan, their statements take another turn. Simple idiots. Do remember how & what Bush, Cheney & Rumsfeld used to mumble.

Anyhow, Ms.Clinton did get quiet a surprise by facing a very hostile audience, and she is going with a very clear mind that the Pakistani nation does not look up to US as a friend not even a little bit.

Clinton's India friendly attitude is very well known to the world, rather the American friendly attitude in other words.

America has the tendency to blame others for its own failures.

And as for someone's remark about American taxpayers dollars & its accountability, Pakistan is a very excellent scapegoat to hide the incompetency of the American aid being utilized in Afghanistan or their own defense contracts. America is itself in deficit, their economy runs on debt collected from all over the world, organizations getting bankrupted, banking institutions falling apart, bankers still taking huge bonuses, hundreds of billions of dollars to look after, and they are worried for just 10B$US, how ironic.

Anyway US has always used us, it was never our friend, will again use us & would never be a friend. :pakistan:

Right now you should be concentrating on radicals who want to break up Pakistan. And please for heaven's sake, stop cursing US. Pakistan is somewhat Pakistan because of US and it's AID. Acknowledge it.

And also lately, how much has the Chinese been giving to you guys? Nothing, if I am right.

Coming from a Think Tank, I expected much more.

ISLAMABAD: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton wound up a bridge-building visit to Pakistan on Friday leaving a pointed question ringing in her hosts’ ears: Where are the al Qaeda leaders operating in your country?

While no Pakistani officials were immediately prepared to answer, ordinary citizens told Washington’s top diplomat the country was living on a daily basis with the consequences of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks engineered by the militant Islamist group.

While most Pakistanis are against the extremists, many also believe they are fuelled by Islamabad’s links with Washington.

On Thursday Clinton expressed disbelief no-one in authority knew where al Qaeda leaders were hiding out – a remark that may fuel much reaction once she leaves the country.

‘I find it hard to believe that nobody in your government knows where they are and couldn’t get them if they really wanted to,’ she told a group of newspaper editors during a meeting in Lahore.

Clinton’s pointed remark was the first public gripe on a trip aimed at turning around a US-Pakistan relationship under serious strain, but bound in the struggle against religious extremism.

Clinton’s main message in Pakistan – that the forces binding Pakistanis and Americans together are far stronger than those dividing them – was constant, and she urged audiences to stand guard against extreme religious doctrine that seeks to impose its will on the population.

CLINTON DEFENDS BLUNT WORDS ON PAKISTAN

Hillary Clinton defended her blunt talk on Pakistan, saying it was important to have an open relationship between the countries even if it meant some tough words.

She defended her comments, that it was ‘hard to believe’ that no one in Pakistan’s government knew where al Qaeda leaders were hiding, in a series of morning television interviews aired in the United States on Friday.

‘I wanted to get that out on the table, because the Pakistanis have talked about a trust deficit and it’s a two-way street,’ Clinton said in an interview shown on NBC’s ‘Today Show.’ ‘We have questions, they have questions.’

In an interview aired on ABC’s ‘Good Morning America,’ Clinton said the two countries needed to be more open with each other.

‘It will not be sufficient to achieve the level of security that Pakistanis deserve if we don’t go after those who are still threatening not only Pakistan but Afghanistan and the rest of the world.’

In an interview with CNN, Clinton noted that she had been asking a question of Pakistan but did prejudge the answer. She also said the United States applauded Pakistan’s resolve for going after Taliban extremists.

‘But let’s not forget, they (the Taliban fighters) are now part of a terrorist syndicate that, in sort of classic syndicate terms, would be headed by al Qaeda,’ she told CNN.

FRIENDS AND SKEPTICS

Many participating in Clinton’s numerous public appearances in Pakistan expressed appreciation for US backing for the country and for Clinton’s personal outreach.

But more frequently Clinton’s ‘people to people’ diplomacy – with journalists, students and common people – has been characterised by sharp disagreements and deep distrust.

That is a potentially worrying sign for officials in Washington hoping to reverse a steep rise in anti-US sentiment in the increasingly fragile nuclear armed country.

Through it all, Clinton has proved unflappable, acknowledging the ‘trust deficit’ created by past US mistakes while firmly responding to charges the United States does not have Pakistan’s best interests at heart.

Clinton, who professes deep personal affection for Pakistan and its people, was cautiously optimistic her visit may have changed a few hearts and minds among fearful Pakistanis although she said much more needed to be done to illustrate how the United States is helping the country.

‘I’m going to try as hard as I can. But ultimately, we have to have actions between the two of us. Words are not enough,’ she said at a women’s gathering.—Reuters

Funny thing about this remark is, that if the worlds most advanced military power and intelligence agency with unlimited resources can't find them, how can the poor backward 3rd world Pakistani govt or its people can??

Did Ms.Clinton forget that the maximum number of AQ people, including some top guys have been handed over to US by this same Pakistani govts ?? Plus many killed too by the same Pakistani govt ??

If the American forces can't get them in the Tora Bora mountains with unlimited resources, why asking us ??

With hundreds of drones,satellites and what not they can't find them in last 8 years ??

How many AQ people has US by the way caught on its own through out the world??

Many of the AQ guys killed in drone strikes are done with the human intelligence provided by the Pakistani guys on the ground ??

Shear hypocrisy or utterly misinformed. Nothing else.

Right now you should be concentrating on radicals who want to break up Pakistan. And please for heaven's sake, stop cursing US. Pakistan is somewhat Pakistan because of US and it's AID. Acknowledge it.

And also lately, how much has the Chinese been giving to you guys? Nothing, if I am right.

If by sitting in India and after reading Indian newspapers and watching Indian news channels that's the best that you can write, well I can't then judge your thinking.

And as for Chinese assistance, would be useless to discuss and don't understand from where China comes into this.

I am really very sorry for not coming up to your expectations as a Think Tank, but i believe before passing this judgment it would have been better if you had posted something original yourself after giving it a thought as a Pakistani rather then towing the same old anti-pakistani and pro-US line, but I guess that's the best we can expect from you guys.

Funny thing about this remark is, that if the worlds most advanced military power and intelligence agency with unlimited resources can't find them, how can the poor backward 3rd world Pakistani govt or its people can??
You can because you have the know all. Time for your hypocrisy to end.

Did Ms.Clinton forget that the maximum number of AQ people, including some top guys have been handed over to US by this same Pakistani govts ?? Plus many killed too by the same Pakistani govt ??
Wasn't that a moral responsibility for 9/11? Try to be humane first, before questioning humanity.

If the American forces can't get them in the Tora Bora mountains with unlimited resources, why asking us ??
Because you are still sided with the Taliban and the Al Qaida, what the world thinks so.

With hundreds of drones,satellites and what not they can't find them in last 8 years ??
Well Pakistan have been siding with them, hiding them.

Atleast US is more secure now, take a look at Pakistan.

Many of the AQ guys killed in drone strikes are done with the human intelligence provided by the Pakistani guys on the ground ??
Is it?

I see that coming from you, a Think Tank.

Mr. Gul, ex-ISI chief said that he met Osama sometime near 911. So definately he has links. From his open support from these criminals, he does cast Pakistan in a dark shadow.

It is also widely believed by American agencies that ISI had contacts with AQ and Taliban.

yes, US govt knows that you helped to catch the criminals. But more than anyone in AQ, they are hunting for Osama not for his generals. If Pakistan would have helped US in finding Osama, US might have considered Pakistan in much esteemed position. This is after 8+ years.

Many Americans believe that Pakistan provided free passages to the criminals who wanted to cross borders during Tora-Bora bombings.

Even your government said that they are unable to help much as it is a territory controlled by Pashtun tribes and they have blood relations between AQ and Taliban.

Yes, I agree that it is hypocritical ONLY to blame Pakistan alone on this matter.

If by sitting in India and after reading Indian newspapers and watching Indian news channels that's the best that you can write, well I can't then judge your thinking.

And as for Chinese assistance, would be useless to discuss and don't understand from where China comes into this.

I am really very sorry for not coming up to your expectations as a Think Tank, but i believe before passing this judgment it would have been better if you had posted something original yourself after giving it a thought as a Pakistani rather then towing the same old anti-pakistani and pro-US line, but I guess that's the best we can expect from you guys.

This is the problem with you guys, you cannot digest truthful observations and honesty. Dude, it's not me but the world which is doubtful of Pakistan's seriousness. And why should I give it a thought as a Pakistani, are Pakistanis less in numbers in this forum?

And also, your ridiculing me by saying that I'm sitting in India and reading Indian newspapers doesn't bother me, you proved how anti you are to a justified conversation.

Oh! and puhleeezzzz, I am not anti Pak and Pro US. Being a Think Tank, you should have known.

Well Mr that such a stupid statement from you that Pakistan is Pakistan because of Us Aid actually you dont know much about the fact and our economics you just came into thread to impose your stupid belief on us that US has done everything for us,our relationship with US has always been more disadvantageous to us.

I wont go in Past,take recent American war on terror(WOT) which has ruined our economy

Total expenses of war on terror from 2001 to 2008:US$ 36 Billion

What US has given us from 2001 to 2008 :US$ 10 Billion

Net Deficite from 2001 to 2008 :US$ 26 Billion

So what favor US did to us?
on the contrary they ruined economy of Pakistan which was already a poor country.

The above figures do not include the huge expenses which we have incurred on the two operations which have been conducted in this year(operation Rah-e-Nijat and operation Rah-e-Rast)

Plus these figures also dont include the damage caused to properties of people and the relief given by government to the familes of people killed in almost 350+ blasts and suicide attacks that happened in our country since 2001 due to WOT.

Even if we leave the year 2009 and add the aid promised in KLB which is given as if US were doing a big favour to us.

Net loss till end of 2008 :US$ 26 Billion

Promised Aid with conditions which may not be received in full if US sanctions us, :US$ 7.5 Billion

Net Loss after adding total US$ 7.5 Billion :US$ 18.5 Billion
(Excluding year 2009's expenses and expenses in coming 5 years in which this aid will total to US$ 7.5 Billion.)

Toat Aid given+promissed :US$ 17.5 Billion

Read more on this thread
http://www.defence.pk/forums/econom...se-aid-us-worth-5-1-billion-since-2006-a.html

See that even if we add the entire promised and given Aid the loss we suffered(leaving expenses of 2009) is more than the total of given and Promissed Aid,so where is US favour?

As for China it has given us what we want from it from very begaining it always helps us unlike US which does it when intrests come in,China is allweather friend not fairweather friend.
we know what we have got from them they were more better friends than US and were more Trustworthy ally even though WOT was'nt started by China still its giving us security equipment etc for that too.America's is'nt even giving us sufficient equipment for its WOT.

BTW you Indians dont have to teach us who is our friend and who is not?Hell why dont you mind your own business.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom