What's new

choice for india - nato vs SCO

The current world order is that US, Russia and China must not have a nuclear war. Any nuclear war between any 2 of them means end of world.

I will bet my life's salary that in a nuclear war, SOME life will continue. Humanity is resilient.

I think there is no choice for India.

Both Nato and SCO did not invite India to be their member.

I don't know about invitations,but both organizations have considered India.

For example there was talk that NATO should expand by including India and Columbia.

Similarly,a Russian envoy said India has the right to join SCO as a permanent member.

India has right to join SCO, not Pakistan: Russian envoy (Interview)

But we'll not be joining any of the organizations any time soon.

Last edited:
NATO is an alliance, the SCO is not. If India intends to stay a non-aligned nation, then the SCO is the obvious choice.

NATO is an alliance, the SCO is not. If India intends to stay a non-aligned nation, then the SCO is the obvious choice.

SCO is a step toward an alliance. Russia and China are trying out an potential "alliance" to counter NATO.

SCO is a step toward an alliance. Russia and China are trying out an potential "alliance" to counter NATO.

Never militarily, China is very strongly against that as it doesn't wish to be dragged into a senseless war somebody else starts.

Have an independent policy and strengthen SAARC by bringing all the members into strong alliance.

it seems that indians believe their future lies in stronger with asia than the west

I am bumping this thread because right now it seems relevant.

India is kind of in a pickle inbeteeen appeasing the west on Iran, but keeping it's oil supplies.

Similarly India is getting pressure to back western intervention on Syria, even though it's not in her interests to do so.

Anyway, the question is becoming more highlighted, time to bump :)

Neither SCO nor NATO for India. We will maintain independent policy. At the same time, we want better relations with both West and also with Russia and China.

India is kind of in a pickle inbeteeen appeasing the west on Iran, but keeping it's oil supplies.

Similarly India is getting pressure to back western intervention on Syria, even though it's not in her interests to do so.

GoI did support the UNSC resolution for action in Syria, didn't it?
As for Iran, GoI has supported IAEA resolutions.

It looks more like India is more inclined towards NATO at the moment. SCO not looking too beneficial.....

Right now India is just playing around to get as much it can out of the two. National interest you can say, we are getting cheap oil from Iran and are paying them in rupee which will in return help Indian economy since Iran will buy Indian products from it. While going with the Syrian resolution India is getting weapons from US. So far is a win win for India. I guess GoI is just stretching things out to see how far things take them.

India will not join any of these due to their commitment to non ailed movement.

But for discussion

India should join NATO, I do see India as an importance counter-balance to China in NATO perspective. Already there is emerging a kind of partenership between lead by USA, India, Australia, Japan, South korea, Singapore to encircle China strategically as China is increasing its presence in Asia millitarily.

As far as NATO and the Atlantic Ocean is concerned, much alike Estonia neither do Turkey. Greece, Italy, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Germany. NATO would be left with only the United Kingdom, Norway, France, Portugal, and Spain from Europe. If something like India and Israel joining NATO comes it wont be a big surprise.

But from military alliance and Obama Pro Muslim policies, Pakistan is more closer than India....India is more like pro soviet.

And India is besides everything else more likely to join SOC and has a lot of projects with Russia currently not only BrahMos and aviation technology but they recently signed for a lot of future projects at hand. If India join SOC its a big loss for USA as it will result an anti USA movement more economically then militarily. I don't see USA would like it much and let it happened.

doesn't matter how you analyze the situation: the fear of god chinese have struck into every indian mind and the genetic insecurity every indian born after 1962 must feel when they look north would mean that india would cheaply sell itself to nato and anglo-americans. And china has militarily prepared for this anyway, and it would mean a great deal of waste in our military buildup if india acts out of character and actually assumes its just position as a geopolitical dwarf in a sino-russian led SCO.

Back
Top Bottom