What's new

Chinese Y-20, could help modernize Pakistan's transport capabilities.

this chinese tanker has all the attributes of C-17 AND C-5 but comes at a much reasonable price. it can be a good option to add these as the old c-130s are to be replaced soon. also increasing the strength of il-78s to double can be fruitful.

the Y 20 is definitely not comparable to the C 1 globemaster 3 nor the C 5 galaxy.

PAF should get a few it will enhance PAF lift force.

The Indonesians (CN-235), the American (C-130) The Swedish (SAAB Ereye), The Ukrainians (IL-76), The Chinese (AN 12/Y-8) and now this!!!!! A maintenance nightmare as it is without adding more varied stuff for just that sake of it.

Transport fleets serve the back bone for routine Transport, Forward Deployment, Disaster Relief, Para Dropping of both men and material , Laison and communication purposes. Changing platforms is not a joke - just for Para Jumping requirment - -the whole training needs to be adjusted while requalifying older personnel on newer platforms. I am not going into pilot or ground tech. training and lead time rquired or the spares or logistics.

Furthemore, moving from prop to a jet aircraft has its own issues on ground equimpent requirment including level of runway sweeping required etc.

My 2C

We need heavy lift capability........ its our need....... and hopefully...... PA will induct a few of these giants to satisfy its needs.

can you please clarify why do we need heavy lift capabilities??
and where do you exactly place this in the priority list?

regards!
Arsalan Aslam

Pakistan army has a requirement for airborne division since early 70s. and to deploy something like that will need a heavy transport capability along with its replishment of supplies... musharaaf wanted to kickstart the airbone div project again but economy didnt permit...

I believe these aircraft are more of strategic importance than of tactical. In the event of war, the protection of these machine will it self become a nightmare. We ought to have complete air superiority in order to use something of this size. Moreover, it is not like we have to deploy huge amount of troop hundreds or thousands of miles away to protect our assets. Pakistan is small country and the there doesn't seem to be an absolute need of Air Lifters such as this in the near future. We might think about these in post 2020 period though.

there are some situations in warfare when you deploy huge number of troops to cut off enemy lines or encircle the divisions from behind. there is a huge use of rapid deployment forces. Ofcourse such a mammoth task will require air superiority first.

Secondly, as part of internation coalitions for instance if pakistan forms a military treaty with another country then in case of that country under attack, a rapid deployment division will play a huge role interms of warfare...

C-130 can carry upto 70 fully equipped troops, i think this is enough for a covert operation or situation that need rapid deployment. moreover, Pakistan is a small country so we usually wont end up were be need to airlift a whole unit, ther are always men in uniform nearby.

i do agree that we need to figure out a backup plan and replacement of the US supplied C-130 but still insist that the under development Y-20 is not a good option. Or, lets out it this way that there are better options available.
we must try to get some thing in the same league as the C-130. a tactical airlift paltform. (the chinese Y-8 can carry upto 100 troops and the Y-9 upto 140)

to cut this short, it is important to get straight with priorities,
all that matter is what come on top of you shopping list. our military budget is slim and we need to spend the funds wisely.
there are so many fields that we seriously lack behined and need to fill in those gaps rather then go buying big guns just to meet indian numbers,

regards!
Arsalan Aslam

Let us have some trust on the leadership in PAF to make sound decisions. It will take a while for the Chinese to come up with a sound platform/workhorse like C-130

Much of my family were PAF - and of course I have some small insight in to the kinds of decisions the PAF has ended up making, like foregoing the joint assembly and manufacture of the Viggen, and opting for the Mirage -- But I also note after reading the comments to f others that the for most readers PAF is really the PAF of 40 years ago -- Small, poor and tactical, but would it be unfair to ask when this formula has produced victory for us? Khair, we all know the answer to that one, lets break out of the prisons of the past.

India needs it because its a massive country , for us Turboprop lifters can do just that because of our size. Why should we match India by guns , we will go bankrupt.

yeh koi business company hay jo bankrupt ho jaiygi ?? :hitwall: yeh Pakistan hay ; isko bankrupt karne waala abhi payda hi nahi hua ... :sniper: zardaari or saari ki saari ppp teen saal se musalsal lagi pari hay PakisTan ko bankrupt karne men lekin kya ukkhhaar liaa kisi ne han ... ??? :rofl: :pakistan:

Much of my family were PAF - and of course I have some small insight in to the kinds of decisions the PAF has ended up making, like foregoing the joint assembly and manufacture of the Viggen, and opting for the Mirage -- But I also note after reading the comments to f others that the for most readers PAF is really the PAF of 40 years ago -- Small, poor and tactical, but would it be unfair to ask when this formula has produced victory for us? Khair, we all know the answer to that one, lets break out of the prisons of the past.

Muse:

I think I get your point here but is it also wise to go and mimic anything that India does? They have a need for strategic airlift -- we don't. Those who dream of an Airborne Division and talk about blocking actions do not know what are they talking about. This is not WWII and we are not Germany or US of 1944 nor our enemy the third Reich or the Soviet Union. When was the last time when an airborne division was para dropped in actual battlefield?

PAF has already increased its airlift capability to roughly twice the number of C-130's that they have a decade ago. Coupled with MRTT's, the lift requirement is now close to comfort.

As far as the Viggen is concerned -- hindsight is always twenty-twenty, Sweden does not have a good track record of sanctions. I would guess that we would have been sanctioned atleast twice if not more by Sweden if we have gone ahead with this project - Once after the Afghan war was over, second time after the Nuke explosion and the third time, Kargil. The French did not do this. So.... let us give some credit where it is due. Someone somewhere did take the right decision -- may be not because of this reason but history proved it to be a sound one.

My humble opinion with all due respects.

Looks like another rip-off by China- looks almost identical to C-17. How does a transport plnae change the military balance in the region? India has always maintained a conventional superiority over Pakistan does this purchase really change anything?

Any weapon pakistan buys changes the dynamics in India and so India buys and it changes the dynamics in Pakistan and the cycle goes on and on and on.. I think that India and Pakistan are the ones for whom weapons are actually being made, the rest are just testing them

Muse:

I think I get your point here but is it also wise to go and mimic anything that India does? They have a need for strategic airlift -- we don't. Those who dream of an Airborne Division and talk about blocking actions do not know what are they talking about. This is not WWII and we are not Germany or US of 1944 nor our enemy the third Reich or the Soviet Union. When was the last time when an airborne division was para dropped in actual battlefield?

PAF has already increased its airlift capability to roughly twice the number of C-130's that they have a decade ago. Coupled with MRTT's, the lift requirement is now close to comfort.

As far as the Viggen is concerned -- hindsight is always twenty-twenty, Sweden does not have a good track record of sanctions. I would guess that we would have been sanctioned atleast twice if not more by Sweden if we have gone ahead with this project - Once after the Afghan war was over, second time after the Nuke explosion and the third time, Kargil. The French did not do this. So.... let us give some credit where it is due. Someone somewhere did take the right decision -- may be not because of this reason but history proved it to be a sound one.

My humble opinion with all due respects.

A very nice answer yes, Paradropping is really suicidal with the weapons being more capable and more deadlier and also becoming more expensive in terms of cost and technology

Based on the specifications , the Y-20 carrying capacity is almost equal to the normal C130 of courses the major advantages area

a) Brand new
b) Brand new avionics not some kits installed
c) No shortage of supplies

Ability to reconfigure it to carry AWAC platform, or conversion into Marine patrol or even troops / supplies carrying capacity

Also , we could modify these planes to convert them into tankers if needed

The configurations are endless -

If we get 10 of these planes these will safeguard our national interest for good 10-15 years , of course these planes would run for a good 20 years

My vision is that these planes would offer so much more

a) Troops movement / Supplies carrying / special ops paratroop drops behind enemy lines
b) AWAC platform carry more personnel in air
c) Orion type conversion for Marine time missions we already have the cruise missiles
d) Heavy equipment carrying
e) Bombardment
f) Carrying medics/ flying hospital
g) Conversion into Air Tankers based on our needs just buy parts for fuel transfer install it in

If we are really seeking a modernization of Airforce/Army/ Navy supplies channels this plane and the helicopters in China are a must

C130 , the odd 10-14 we had are enough for may be supporting

We induct 10 of these babies , we are in top shape

Back
Top Bottom