What's new

Chinese vs. Indian parents: How do they differ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roybot

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
In previous posts in this series, I looked at how Canadian parents differ from their Chinese, Swedish, French, Indian and American counterparts in what they value in their children, based on data from the World Values Survey.

Today I’ll be doing something a bit different: Comparing what parents in India and China, the world’s two largest countries, want for their children.

On its face, one might expect the two countries to be quite similar in their parenting values. In terms of their economic situation, both countries are quite similar — once poor nations that are rapidly developing and modernizing.

However, the data suggests that while there are some key similarities between the two countries, there are also key differences.

china-vs-india.png

Not surprisingly, the one big similarity between the two countries is how much they value hard work — it’s the most valued trait in both countries by a convincing margin. This is in stark contrast to Canada, by the way, where Hard Work comes fourth.

But what about the differences?

Obedience seems to be much more important to Indian parents than Chinese ones (56% to 16%). as is religious faith (42% to 2%). The latter is not much of a surprise given China’s official state atheism. But I was a bit surprised that obedience doesn’t rate more highly for Chinese parents.

And what do Chinese parents value more than Indian ones? Thriftiness for one (69% to 56%). And, somewhat surprisingly, Tolerance (67% to 56%). This last one surprised me a bit as I would have thought tolerance would be a more important value in multi-faith India than in China, which is relatively homogeneous. Although perhaps that’s precisely the point: It’s a lot easier to teach tolerance in a place where it’s not regularly tested.

Chinese vs. Indian parents: How do they differ? | Vancouver Sun

Compare this to the Western Countries,

canada-vs-us.png

iwhvf8.jpg

Chinese parents demand ALL the points above, simultaneously. :lol:

(Except for the last point).

The results show that China is a country that gives more open space to the next generation where tolerance is highly appreciated along with hardworking and responsibility while no one cares about religious.

In India, according to the survey Tolerance rates at 56%. That is a surprise to me. Based on the amount of hatred spewed by Indians on this blog, I would say realistically that should be around 15%. A tolerant Indian is a rare bird.

In the us, indian parents coddle their kids too much. On the other hand chinese parents have no problem kicking their kid's ***.

I understand you are not in our league so please dont compare china with india.

The fck are you on about. Weirdo :confused:

In India, according to the survey Tolerance rates at 56%. That is a surprise to me. Based on the amount of hatred spewed by Indians on this blog, I would say realistically that should be around 15%. A tolerant Indian is a rare bird.

Heh apparently France has a tolerance of around 90%, and yet they are the one banning the Burqa.

Tolerance doesn't mean kowtowing.

Heh apparently France has a tolerance of around 90%, and yet they are the one banning the Burqa.

Tolerance doesn't mean kowtowing.

Bro, I disagree with you.

Burka is a security issue and should be banned everywhere in today's environment.

Banning Burka is not a tolerance issue.

There is no ban in France on headscarf ( Hijab ) where the face is showing.

Stfu. I found an interesting article, I posted it. Its not my "comparison" you dumb as*. Now sod off.

LOL you can talk as much of india as you like but dont involve china, we dont want anything to do with india if you know what i mean

oh i think roybot is mad at me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom