What's new

Chinese submarines a concern: Indian Navy Chief.

DarK-LorD

BANNED
Reaction score
Dec 02, 2011 at 04:41pm IST
Chinese submarines a concern: Indian Navy Chief.

New Delhi: Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma on Friday said that Chinese submarines with long-range missiles are a matter of concern for India. He said that the Indian Navy is looking at upgrading its fleet soon.

"Navy is looking at 150 ships fleet and 1000 aircraft and helicopters by 2025. Kakinada in Andhra Pradesh is being considered for raising an Amphibious training facility," Admiral Verma said.

The Admiral admitted that the ingenious aircraft carrier programmes was facing delays due to shortage of critical equipments.
Chinese submarines a concern: Indian Navy Chief

"The delay in Indian aircraft carrier is because of problems with the gear box that has not come on time. Sea trials of indigenous nuclear submarine INS Arihant will be held in a few months. Project 75 to develop India indigenous submarine will have air independent propulsion," he said.

Admiral Verma also said that the Navy was facing shortage of officers which is currently at 18 per cent of its sanctioned strength.

Chinese submarines a concern: Indian Navy Chief - India News - IBNLive

shortage of officers........................A real matter of concern.............................new defence academies is only way for that........so wake up sleeping lazy MoD

We should have a deal with US to spy where Chinese Subs are . I think special military satellites can locate subs(when satellites provide info about deep regions of ocean i dont think it will be a big task for US ). Couple of squadrons of US aircrafts might help . I strongly believe US knows where Chinese subs are . Subs are really our headaches .

^
Unless the sub is mad close to the surface of the ocean/sea, and at the same time if it's one giant of a mother humper like the Ohio's or Typhoons, then it could be possible for a satellite to locate it, provided it is looking in the right place. Water covers 70% of the earth so finding the right place is tricky. Once the sub goes past test depth, a number of other factors influence whether it can be detected

1) Steam flow noises
2) Cavitation
3) Lack of thermal gradients in the water
4) Propeller noises
5) Sonar
6) etc.

Submarine hunting isn't the easiest of jobs, its harder than finding a needle in a flipping haystack.

^
what i mean is if a sub can be located atleast once like if they are at bases, it can be spyed through out lifetime using satellites .
US can do that

^
Every sub is at base at sometime , Can the US track every single Chinese or Russian sub like that ?
and once it dives down , how are you going to track that ? :azn:

^
Every sub is at base at sometime , Can the US track every single Chinese or Russian sub like that ?
with powerful sats and recon systems.
How deep can a military sub go?

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

^
How deep can a military sub go?

^

With the help of satellites + P8 Poseidon + radar network across Indian Ocean + Anti submarine corvette + hunter killer subs etc. etc.

and once it dives down , how are you going to track that ?
Well right now no-one can do this. Russia has plans to do this via satellites but how they are going to do this is unknown because even with the most powerful satellites you cannot monitor submarine especially a nuclear one when it dives in although nuclear sub can be detected in otherways especially since it makes large noise. There a lot of parameters which are changing and its even possible that we might not even be considering some important parameter. In-short right now its just a topic of research, no success yet.

With the help of satellites + P8 Poseidon + radar network across Indian Ocean + Anti submarine corvette + hunter killer subs etc. etc.
You cannot do that even after this. Satellites will go blind once the submarine dives in and most of the time they are in. How good is Poseidon is still unknown but its sure even Poseidon cannot track a nuke sub when it dives in the deep end. RADAR ???? You mean SONARS, but we don't have any such network planned and seriously no-one does because its impossible to track a sub all the time with a sonar. I mean where are you going to deploy sonars in such a vast ocean ? Near shore areas where water dept is not much, P8i or ASW corvettes can do the job.
As far as hunter killer sub and ASW corvettes are concerned, its all luck for them if they catch an enemy sub through sonar in such a vast ocean. Also even if we use all of them together, to track a sub for a 1000 kilometers we need a very good and timely coordination between all the ones you wrote above and even after that we are bound to lose the sub in this vast ocean.

We are also doing some research in this areas by measuring change in water pressure, temperature etc. but still nothing. Although nothing is impossible and i think russians might be able to solve the problem and india should definitely join Russia in this project.

Well right now no-one can do this. Russia has plans to do this via satellites but how they are going to do this is unknown because even with the most powerful satellites you cannot monitor submarine especially a nuclear one when it dives in although nuclear sub can be detected in otherways especially since it makes large noise. There a lot of parameters which are changing and its even possible that we might not even be considering some important parameter. In-short right now its just a topic of research, no success yet.

You cannot do that even after this. Satellites will go blind once the submarine dives in and most of the time they are in. How good is Poseidon is still unknown but its sure even Poseidon cannot track a nuke sub when it dives in the deep end. RADAR ???? You mean SONARS, but we don't have any such network planned and seriously no-one does because its impossible to track a sub all the time with a sonar. I mean where are you going to deploy sonars in such a vast ocean ? Near shore areas where water dept is not much, P8i or ASW corvettes can do the job.
As far as hunter killer sub and ASW corvettes are concerned, its all luck for them if they catch an enemy sub through sonar in such a vast ocean. Also even if we use all of them together, to track a sub for a 1000 kilometers we need a very good and timely coordination between all the ones you wrote above and even after that we are bound to lose the sub in this vast ocean.

We are also doing some research in this areas by measuring change in water pressure, temperature etc. but still nothing. Although nothing is impossible and i think russians might be able to solve the problem and india should definitely join Russia in this project.
I believe US is far ahead than Russia in this field.

Back
Top Bottom