What's new

Chinese Su-27 backs from Taiwanese F-16's.

They are kept undercover just in case they need them........as Russia and India still keeps Mig 25.

Russia keeps the MIG-25s for reconaissance role with the interceptor role supplanted by the MIG-31. I assume a similar thing happened in India? MKIs should handle both air superiority and interception roles quite well.

Could this means they no longer use the J-8 for interception as back in 2001 with the EP-3 incident and J-8 is relegated to second line?

They are kept undercover just in case they need them........as Russia and India still keeps Mig 25.

SR-71s are no longer in service and no longer needed. They have satellites and UAVs to do the job.

amalakas I thought you would know better. Read the article again. The Sukhoi, if it were indeed a Sukhoi at all, did not engage the F-16s when the pilot found out that he crossed the line. How did you come to the conclusion regarding the skills of the pilots?

I didn't draw any conclusions at all. ao333 commented on the quality of aircraft in PLAAF inventory, I merely commented that all things equal , the Su-27 should prevail in all possible scenarios.
read my post carefully.

SR-71s are no longer in service and no longer needed. They have satellites and UAVs to do the job.

There would not be any replacement for the real time imagery by reconnaissance aircrafts by the satellites which have big disadvantages and shortcomings.... A big problem which SR 71 had was that the real time imagery and data could be received only after the plane landing which I guess can be rectified with current generation technologies.........about drones......we do know how capable are they recently one was shot by Iran.....It won't be surprising if a SR 71 upgraded with real time data link and powerful ECM is maintained by USAF in secret which could make an unmanned flight.

It would have been more appropriate for a country like China to shoot down a U-2 if it ever entered their air space.......and send a strong message to US........if you allow such leniency they would soon send a SR-71 black bird.....for a ferry over China.

years ago a Chinese fighter jet collided with US plane. this incident killed Chinese pilot. US plane was forced to land in china. they were kept as prisoners until Chinese govt decided to let them go.

just think what would have happened if PLAAF had shot down US jet?

i know Russia has mig 25 jets. but are you right about India?

IAF retired Mig 25 from service in 2007 if I am not wrong.........It was the Mig 25 which did the sonic boom over Islamabad in 1997....... in front of the eyes of the people there.......and we had the statement made by the defense minister of Pakistan that it was deliberately done to scare their people.....
Vayu Sena - IAF MiG-25R incursion over Pakistan in 1997

These fox bats were used extensively during Kargil War and Operation Parakram of 2001 to perform sorties over Pakistan........by No. 102 Squadron "Trisonics" based at Bakshi-ka-talab AB in Bareilly.

technically speaking, if this was for real, and flown by a decent pilot, the Su-27 would have had those two F-16s for breakfast.

but then again, if the Su-27 was flown by a mediocre pilot, and the F-16 by half a decent one, it would be the other way around.

life eh

Its not all about this is better than that. The matter is simple. Although both sides are adversaries, both wanted to avoid an all out confrontation. It is stupid to assume that there were only 2 fighters inthe region and back up could not have been called on by both. The question is would either side want to . The answer has to be in the negative. You often have fighters intruding int o your airspace and often scramble your aircrafts, mostly to gently cajole them into going back. Nothing more nothing less. China would want to avoid an international incident asa much as Taiwan cannot afford to irk China by downing its Plane.
Araz

amalakas I thought you would know better. Read the article again. The Sukhoi, if it were indeed a Sukhoi at all, did not engage the F-16s when the pilot found out that he crossed the line. How did you come to the conclusion regarding the skills of the pilots?
Dont worry. He is just flaming the thread by trying to convert it into a PAk V/S India affair. DOWN BOY BAD AMALAKAS, NAUGHTY AMALAKAS

There would not be any replacement for the real time imagery by reconnaissance aircrafts by the satellites which have big disadvantages and shortcomings.... A big problem which SR 71 had was that the real time imagery and data could be received only after the plane landing which I guess can be rectified with current generation technologies.........about drones......we do know how capable are they recently one was shot by Iran.....It won't be surprising if a SR 71 upgraded with real time data link and powerful ECM is maintained by USAF in secret which could make an unmanned flight.

Advanced UAVs - yes.

SR-71 - no. There were plans to bring back the Blackbird, but they retired it all through.

Its not all about this is better than that. The matter is simple. Although both sides are adversaries, both wanted to avoid an all out confrontation. It is stupid to assume that there were only 2 fighters inthe region and back up could not have been called on by both. The question is would either side want to . The answer has to be in the negative. You often have fighters intruding int o your airspace and often scramble your aircrafts, mostly to gently cajole them into going back. Nothing more nothing less. China would want to avoid an international incident asa much as Taiwan cannot afford to irk China by downing its Plane.
Araz

Dont worry. He is just flaming the thread by trying to convert it into a PAk V/S India affair. DOWN BOY BAD AMALAKAS, NAUGHTY AMALAKAS

I think you missed the point. I was replying to a post about the quality of planes in the chinese inventory. You might want to read that from ao333

I think you missed the point. I was replying to a post about the quality of planes in the chinese inventory. You might want to read that from ao333

I have read your posts and still stand by mine. You are wrong in your assumptions about the unassailability of the SU series V/S F16s . A this V/s that analysis needs to take into account what armaments there are on baord, what blocks we are talking about and a lot of other factors.
Araz

Back
Top Bottom