What's new

Chinese Su-27 backs from Taiwanese F-16's.

J-8s are no where as good as Mig 25s and the Mig 31 deal didn't fall through due to the Flanker deal... I do agree that SAM batteries should have no problem taking down a U-2, you have Soviet and Chinese precedences in the 60s. However I don't think either side was actually prepared to attack one another this time. Times are different.

The PLAAF shot dowm 5 U-2s during the 1950s to 1960s by Hq-2 SAM.Below is the U-2 wreck in China's museum.
cmO9q.jpg

That was shot in Soviet Union and the image is taken in Russia !!

Bull sht.Tell me when did the Russians shoot down 5 U-2s? This is a picture taken in China's national liberation museum.More pictures,do you think the Russian guard looked like this:
3HY3i.jpg

Not the ROC bro, the U.S. The U-2s were American planes originally stationed in Ryuku.

Spy planes are still important since they can take higher resolution photos than satellites ever could. More importantly they can take pictures whenever where ever as opposed to when the satellite passes over the target in question.

ROC does operate U-2s although.......and they made continuous flights over china and were shot down many times by Mig 17 and SA-2 SAMs.

Bull sht.Tell me when did the Russians shoot down 5 U-2s? This is a picture taken in China's national liberation museum.More pictures,do you think the Russian guard looked like this:
3HY3i.jpg

Image looks confusing.......but as I told U-2s over china were shot during 60s....and 1st U-2 was shot by Russians.

U-2 Operations: Losses

ROC does operate U-2s although.......and they made continuous flights over china and were shot down many times by Mig 17 and SA-2 SAMs.

Wrong again.The U-2 never been shot down by the PLAAF Mig-17,ALL were by the HQ-2 SAM.The U-2s were operated by the ROCAF black widow squa co-funded by the CIA to mainly test the Chinese nuclear weapon progress.

Wrong again.The U-2 never been shot down by the PLAAF Mig-17,ALL were by the HQ-2 SAM.The U-2s were operated by the ROCAF black widow squa co-funded by the CIA to mainly test the Chinese nuclear weapon progress,

But the Mig 17s did assist with interception job........and it was SA-2 SAMs imported from Russia during 50s solely for that purpose.

It would have been more appropriate for a country like China to shoot down a U-2 if it ever entered their air space.......and send a strong message to US........if you allow such leniency they would soon send a SR-71 black bird.....for a ferry over China.

SR-71s are no longer in service.

But the Mig 17s did assist with interception job........and it was SA-2 SAMs imported from Russia during 50s solely for that purpose.

After shooting down the first U-2,the Americans immediatelly updated the electronic devices on the U-2 to make the HQ-2 missile in-effective,then the PLAAF upadated the hq-2......it's a circle and finally the U-2s and the HQ-2s were totally different from the original.Finally the HQ-2 is like a new missile from the SAM-2(S-75).The HQ-2 missile is still serving in the PLAAF due to its brilliant record.

The fact that the US used a U-2 as a reconnaissance device already leads me to believe that the credibility of such news should be questioned.

Two Chinese fighter jets crossed an unofficial dividing line in the Taiwan Strait late last month in pursuit of a US spy aircraft, according to defence sources in Taipei and Beijing.

The incident marked the first time in more than a decade that Chinese military aircraft have entered Taiwan’s side of the 180km-wide strait. According to Taiwan’s defence ministry, two Chinese Su-27 fighter jets briefly crossed the so-called “middle line” on June 29.

Confirmation of the close encounter comes as the US and China are trying to cool tensions in the South China Sea and safeguard a recent improvement in bilateral military relations.

Taipei, whose relations with Beijing have also been on the mend, moved to downplay the incident. “This was not between Taiwan and China, but between China and the US,” said a senior Taiwanese defence official. “The Chinese crossed the line to repel a perceived intrusion by a US reconnaissance aircraft.”

China and Taiwan have long respected the middle line, which was drawn by the US when it signed a mutual defence treaty with the island in 1954. The line functions as a buffer zone between China and Taiwan’s militaries, which still regard each other as enemies.

Chinese military aircraft have not crossed the middle line since July 1999, at a time of heightened tensions with Taiwan. That summer the People’s Liberation Army Airforce, which had rarely patrolled the area previously, flew hundreds of sorties over the Taiwan Strait.

China has also long objected to reconnaissance patrols of its coastline, especially since a PLA jet fighter collided with a US spy plane in April 2001 near Hainan island. The PLA pilot died and Chinese authorities detained the US crew for 11 days in a tense stand-off.

“This once again shows that US military activity very close to our territory is a destabilising factor in the region,” said a Chinese defence source. Chinese and US military officials declined to comment.

The Pentagon declined to comment on this specific case but said US reconnaissance flights in the area were “fairly routine” and were conducted in international airspace, as were the Chinese intercepts.

While Beijing still claims sovereignty over Taiwan and has threatened an invasion if the self-ruled island declared independence, relations between the two sides have warmed since Ma Ying-jeou was elected president in 2008.

The Taiwanese official said the island’s air force scrambled two fighters in reaction to the intrusion. He added there had not been any direct contact between the Chinese and Taiwanese planes.

According to Taiwan media, the US spy plane left the area before it could be intercepted by the PLA fighters.

Additional reporting by Robin Kwong in Taipei and Anna Fifield in Washington

Chinese fighter jets ‘repel’ US aircraft - FT.com

Back
Top Bottom