What's new

Chinese saris threaten Indian tradition

IndoCarib

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Varanasi, India (CNN) – The sari is a symbol of Indian style known around the world, but the makers of India’s most coveted saris are losing out to Chinese competition.

Banarasi saris are considered perhaps the finest of all saris. Originating from India's holiest city, Varanasi, they are traditionally worn by brides on their wedding day.

For centuries the silk saris have been made by hand in villages. The government has even given them a geographical identifier to indicate authenticity. But these enclaves of creativity are threatened by cheaper goods made in China.

Rajni Kant, of Varanasi’s Human Welfare Association, told CNN’s Sara Sidner: “Due to the effect of these Chinese attacks in the trade sector, right now 50% of the market has collapsed."

Bhayia is one of the few weavers left in his village still doing this intensive work. It’s a skill passed down to him from the generations who came before him, but he worries that it’s a dying art.

"The product that is coming from outside, it has resulted in the shutting down of looms here in the village,” he said. “Everyone is taking up other jobs."

The villagers say that making saris with handlooms was the main source of income for generations. There were once more than 150 people making saris - now there are about eight.

Kant says the problem is that local traders are cheating people by selling Chinese machine-made sari fabric as authentic Banarasi saris. The price for the knock-offs is a fraction of what the real thing sells for, and weavers complain the government does nothing about it.

"If no agency nor the government will enforce the law, definitely the whole sector will collapse and maybe in the future the generations will see the handloom in the museums," said Kant.

At a local sari shop they admitted to that some of the sellers are dishonest. Shop owners also pointed out that saris made in China sell well due to simply being cheaper - normal competition.

But there was also the issue of the import tax. For years the Indian government placed only a 10% tax on silk fabric from China. That fabric was simply cut and turned into saris. But the silk thread from China that the local weavers use to make the real thing was taxed at 30%.

Last year the government changed the import duty. Now silk thread from China is taxed at just 5% and demand for authentic Banarasi saris is increasing - a welcome relief to local weavers.

Now there is another problem: because so many weavers were forced to find other work there is a shortage of those who have the ability to weave this coveted piece of Indian art.

Chinese saris threaten Indian tradition – Business 360 - CNN.com Blogs

[video]http://cnn.com/video/?/video/business/2012/02/08/along-silk-road-sarees-weavers.cnn[/video]

What a weak country. Apparently, indian teenagers are being killed by Chinese-made threads and Chinese silk fabric is wiping away 6000+ year old hinduism.
kindly understand we are not accusing China or its growth for our downfall, we are just telling our government is not doing enough to save its people. Free trade is ok, but there should be some limit, a government can not allow mass import of goods that are locally available.

Note - we are just finding something as a faulty behaviour on our governments part.

some one loosing livelyhood because of free import of garments is funny to you. may be some day when Indians over take most of the sectors in Pakistan and cut your jobs you'll not feel the same.

hahaha i love reading about indian wet dreams

dude its your government fault dont you think rado screams when you can get some cheap watch that looks like it with the fake rado name. its true old art is dying but it reduces the price of sari,s government should find some way to give them jobs its the same theory as designer clothes

if we are going to talk about what chinese "took" from indians again...silk is the name of a chinese fabric, craft, and tradition. i condemn the indian theft of the knowledge of making silk, which is entirely chinese in its origin. the theft of the knowledge, the making of silk in the hands of some lowly indian caste, and imposing on it some silly indian names are indian declaration of trade war on china and its economy and must be answered with military means!!!

if we are going to talk about what chinese "took" from indians again...silk is the name of a chinese fabric, craft, and tradition. i condemn the indian theft of the knowledge of making silk, which is entirely chinese in its origin. the theft of the knowledge, the making of silk in the hands of some lowly indian caste, and imposing on it some silly indian names are indian declaration of trade war on china and its economy and must be answered with military means!!!
an argument requires two fools to miserably contribute to a endless war of words with no progress, i don't want to be the other fool in an argument with you.
if you say that Silk is your pattened property then any thing that originated outside China that now is manufactured in China is like stolen knowledge which i myself will not accept.
Again - The topic is not that you are stealing our livelyhood its our Government that is not taking care of us well enough.

lol, i am sorry but chinese sarees just sound wrong.

What a weak country. Apparently, indian teenagers are being killed by Chinese-made threads and Chinese silk fabric is wiping away 6000+ year old hinduism.

Dude nobody takes you seriously here..Quit trolling.

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

Make ur sarees cheaper than chinese ones... dont whine.

Cannot as the Indian ones are hand woven.

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 AM ----------

Dude..nobody can beat you in Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

kindly understand we are not accusing China or its growth for our downfall, we are just telling our government is not doing enough to save its people. Free trade is ok, but there should be some limit, a government can not allow mass import of goods that are locally available.

Note - we are just finding something as a faulty behaviour on our governments part.

Why are you wasting time to reply to a troll.

Time to put anti dumping duties on such cheap products and that exactly is the reason this is in news now..

I don't know what kind of idiots import sarees of all the things from China.. Height of stupidity nothing else..

Back
Top Bottom