What's new

Chinese Muslims linked to Games bombings

Pakistani Hindus! Where are they? How many are left? You didn't leave any minorities at all in Pakistan. 3%-4% is all that is left now after decades of persecution and blasphemy laws. The condition of Pakistani minorities (?) is a separate topic.

That's an all out lie too. Pakistan's minorities have always been 1-2%. If anything, they have flourished to 3-4% today.

That's an all out lie too. Pakistan's minorities have always been 1-2%. If anything, they have flourished to 3-4% today.

:hitwall::hitwall:

Are you real? You really believe this!

Do present some data for this, even a Pakistani source will do.

:hitwall::hitwall:

Are you real? You really believe this!

Do present some data for this, even a Pakistani source will do.

I know it's a lie, in fact. You made the allegation. There's nothing to disprove until you present some evidence. You didn't present the base of literacy in 1947 for Indian Muslims either.

^^ Don't be impatient. A bit busy but I will take this to it's logical conclusion.

Will be back. Till then, chow....

Islamic group threatens attack during Olympics

Urumqi (China): Police shut down the bustling bazaar in the capital of China's restive Muslim region of Xinjiang on Friday amid threats from an Islamic group that attackers might target buses, trains and planes during the Olympics.

A sign at the entrance of the bazaar in Urumqi did not explain why the area, surrounded by mosques with minarets, was off limits as the country prepared to kick off the Summer Games thousands of miles away in Beijing.

Even a KFC restaurant in the shopping area - filled with touristy shops selling carpets and jade - was closed, and a guard sitting on the steps shooed people away.

The sprawling, far-flung western region of Xinjiang has long been a source of trouble for China's communist government.

The rugged, mineral-rich territory is populated by the Uighurs, a Turkic Muslim minority that has had tense relations with the Chinese.

Many Uighurs favour independence or greater autonomy for Xinjiang, which takes up one-sixth of China's land mass and borders eight Central Asian countries.

On Thursday, a videotape purportedly made by the Turkistan Islamic Party - a militant group seeking Xinjiang independence - was released with threats to launch attacks during the Olympics.

"Choose your side," says the videotape's speaker, grasping a rifle and dressed in a black turban and camouflage with his face masked.

"Do not stay on the same bus, on the same train, on the same plane, in the same buildings or any place the Chinese are," he warns Muslims, according to a translation by the SITE Intelligence Group, a US operation that monitors militant organizations.

The Turkistan Islamic Party is believed to be based across the border in Pakistan, where security experts say core members have received training from al-Qaeda.

Last month, the militant group issued videotaped threats and claimed responsibility for a series of bus bombings in China in recent months. The latest video features graphics similar to ones used earlier: a burning Olympics logo and an explosion imposed over an apparent Olympic venue.

The new video claims the communist regime's alleged mistreatment of Muslims justifies holy war.

It accuses China of forcing Muslims into atheism by capturing and killing Islamic teachers and destroying Islamic schools, according to the website. It also says China's birth control programme has forced abortions on Muslim women.

"I think what they're doing is they're trying to capitalise on the buildup to the games," said Ben Venzke of the Washington-based IntelCenter, which provides counterterrorism intelligence to US government agencies.

Venzke said Friday that his group believes that based on the militant group's demonstrated ability to conduct bombings "and the apparent opportunity TIP believes the Olympic Games presents in terms of targeting and striking a blow to China, that the threat is credible and should be taken seriously."

He said the release of a five-page written threat, in conjunction with two videos over the last three months by the group "is indicative of an orchestrated campaign designed to fulfill jihadists belief that they should provide warning before launching a significant attack."

More than 100,000 soldiers and police are guarding Beijing and other Olympic co-host cities. Terrorism experts say the heavy security presence would likely force attackers to target less-protected areas.

Beijing's iconic Tiananmen Square was mostly closed off to visitors much of Friday as Chinese President Hu Jintao hosted world leaders at a luncheon banquet at the Great Hall of the People ahead of the opening ceremonies.

"I think the actual Olympics themselves, the venues, the guests, the athletes, are going to be safe," said Drew Thompson, director of China studies at the Nixon Center in Washington. "I would not be an alarmist."

Thompson said the Uighur groups haven't demonstrated they have the capacity to attack Beijing or other host cities during the games.

On Monday, assailants killed 16 border police and wounded 16 others in the Xinjiang city of Kashgar when they rammed a stolen truck into the group before tossing homemade bombs and stabbing them.

Chinese authorities called the raid a terrorist attack and said they had arrested two men who are Uighurs.

Authorities have called the men terrorists, but officials have released no evidence linking them to a specific group.

Xinjiang's capital, Urumqi, has been on high alert. Security guards were checking bags at the entrances of hotels, department stores and discos in the busy city, which unlike other Xinjiang cities is predominantly Han Chinese - the nation's largest ethnic group.

In the past 50 years, Han Chinese have been flooding into the region, creating another sore point with the Uighurs.

Islamic group threatens attack during Olympics

Urumqi (China): Police shut down the bustling bazaar in the capital of China's restive Muslim region of Xinjiang on Friday amid threats from an Islamic group that attackers might target buses, trains and planes during the Olympics.

A sign at the entrance of the bazaar in Urumqi did not explain why the area, surrounded by mosques with minarets, was off limits as the country prepared to kick off the Summer Games thousands of miles away in Beijing.

Even a KFC restaurant in the shopping area - filled with touristy shops selling carpets and jade - was closed, and a guard sitting on the steps shooed people away.

The sprawling, far-flung western region of Xinjiang has long been a source of trouble for China's communist government.

The rugged, mineral-rich territory is populated by the Uighurs, a Turkic Muslim minority that has had tense relations with the Chinese.

Many Uighurs favour independence or greater autonomy for Xinjiang, which takes up one-sixth of China's land mass and borders eight Central Asian countries.

On Thursday, a videotape purportedly made by the Turkistan Islamic Party - a militant group seeking Xinjiang independence - was released with threats to launch attacks during the Olympics.

"Choose your side," says the videotape's speaker, grasping a rifle and dressed in a black turban and camouflage with his face masked.

"Do not stay on the same bus, on the same train, on the same plane, in the same buildings or any place the Chinese are," he warns Muslims, according to a translation by the SITE Intelligence Group, a US operation that monitors militant organizations.

The Turkistan Islamic Party is believed to be based across the border in Pakistan, where security experts say core members have received training from al-Qaeda.

Last month, the militant group issued videotaped threats and claimed responsibility for a series of bus bombings in China in recent months. The latest video features graphics similar to ones used earlier: a burning Olympics logo and an explosion imposed over an apparent Olympic venue.

The new video claims the communist regime's alleged mistreatment of Muslims justifies holy war.

It accuses China of forcing Muslims into atheism by capturing and killing Islamic teachers and destroying Islamic schools, according to the website. It also says China's birth control programme has forced abortions on Muslim women.

"I think what they're doing is they're trying to capitalise on the buildup to the games," said Ben Venzke of the Washington-based IntelCenter, which provides counterterrorism intelligence to US government agencies.

Venzke said Friday that his group believes that based on the militant group's demonstrated ability to conduct bombings "and the apparent opportunity TIP believes the Olympic Games presents in terms of targeting and striking a blow to China, that the threat is credible and should be taken seriously."

He said the release of a five-page written threat, in conjunction with two videos over the last three months by the group "is indicative of an orchestrated campaign designed to fulfill jihadists belief that they should provide warning before launching a significant attack."

More than 100,000 soldiers and police are guarding Beijing and other Olympic co-host cities. Terrorism experts say the heavy security presence would likely force attackers to target less-protected areas.

Beijing's iconic Tiananmen Square was mostly closed off to visitors much of Friday as Chinese President Hu Jintao hosted world leaders at a luncheon banquet at the Great Hall of the People ahead of the opening ceremonies.

"I think the actual Olympics themselves, the venues, the guests, the athletes, are going to be safe," said Drew Thompson, director of China studies at the Nixon Center in Washington. "I would not be an alarmist."

Thompson said the Uighur groups haven't demonstrated they have the capacity to attack Beijing or other host cities during the games.

On Monday, assailants killed 16 border police and wounded 16 others in the Xinjiang city of Kashgar when they rammed a stolen truck into the group before tossing homemade bombs and stabbing them.

Chinese authorities called the raid a terrorist attack and said they had arrested two men who are Uighurs.

Authorities have called the men terrorists, but officials have released no evidence linking them to a specific group.

Xinjiang's capital, Urumqi, has been on high alert. Security guards were checking bags at the entrances of hotels, department stores and discos in the busy city, which unlike other Xinjiang cities is predominantly Han Chinese - the nation's largest ethnic group.

In the past 50 years, Han Chinese have been flooding into the region, creating another sore point with the Uighurs.

I know it's a lie, in fact. You made the allegation. There's nothing to disprove until you present some evidence. You didn't present the base of literacy in 1947 for Indian Muslims either.

In fact, it is you who made the allegation that Indian Muslims are discriminated in education.

It is up to you to prove that they are falling behind their base in 1947, else you were just shooting from your hips as usual.

Also prove that the substantial gap they enjoy over the Pakistani Muslims in education was even more in 1947.

I presented solid evidence that Pakistan's 1947 literacy "base" was much lower than India's. That explains the current position nicely.

It doesn't. The gap has only increased and is increasing every year. If you are happy that the ratio is less than 2 now, it is an example of pathetic thinking.

You did not present any evidence that Indian Muslims had a lower 1947 literacy base than the Indian Hindus. It could equally be that Indian Muslims were more educated than Indian Hindus in 1947, but that discrimination against Muslims in India has caused their literacy rates to become the worst in the country.....lower than the Untouchables.

It is up to you to prove that Muslims did not have a lower base. You made the allegation, not me.

If you have evidence to support your theory that Indian Muslims had a lower 1947 literacy base, then present it. I have proven that Muslim areas of India do not get the same primary school funding as Hindu dominant areas. This would suggest that Indian Muslims were once more educated than the other groups, but that discrimination based on their religion has caused them to fall behind.

You did not prove anything other than citing a report for one district which unfortunately generates too many Muslim criminals.

I gave this solid report:

http://realitycheck.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/sach2.JPG

3883623b2feac3590e9df448662a3951.jpg

This clearly tells that Muslims are ahead of the general population in several states in education. It is the large % of Muslims in states like UP, Bihar etc. who are laggard and are dragging down the community.

Now come up with some facts and not mere conspiracy theories or report for one district.

In fact, it is you who made the allegation that Indian Muslims are discriminated in education.

It is up to you to prove that they are falling behind their base in 1947, else you were just shooting from your hips as usual.

Also prove that the substantial gap they enjoy over the Pakistani Muslims in education was even more in 1947.

What sort of argument is this? :rofl:

I made the allegation Indian Muslims were discriminated against in the field of education (along with millions of newspaper articles), but you gave the reason for this, that Indian Muslims had a lower "base" in 1947 . Therefore, if you want to solidify your argument with some evidence instead of plucking one out of the archives of bharat rhaksha, you will need to provide evidence that Indian Muslims had a lower base in 1947. Else your argument has no meaning.

It doesn't. The gap has only increased and is increasing every year. If you are happy that the ratio is less than 2 now, it is an example of pathetic thinking.

It's not pathetic thinking at all. Pathetic thinking is adequately described in your next statement asking me to disprove something which you fictitiously made up about Indian Muslims having a lower "base" than all the other religious groups in India following Partition.

I will provide the reason for why my thinking is not pathetic though. Pakistan had a specific literacy in 1950, specific number of schools, specific GDP, all of which are proven to have been less than India. India had double the literacy of Pakistan. Given this, then India should have been able to educate more of its population faster.

Example, 2 populations, each with 100 people. In the first population, 7% are teachers and are literate. In the second, 15% are teachers and are literate. So, the 7 people in the first population teach classes of 5 students each, and after a decade, 42 people in the population are literate, or 42%. In the second population, 15 people teach classes of 5, and after a decade, 90 people are literate, or 90% of the population. Therefore, one can conclude that the second population should have double the literacy of the first, if they make the same strides in the field of education.

Answer this in a civilized and logical manner please, instead of throwing a tantrum about something being pathetic.

It is up to you to prove that Muslims did not have a lower base. You made the allegation, not me.

You being the one that made the initial allegation that Indian Muslims had the lowest literacy base in 1947 in the first place :disagree: You made the allegation. it is there for anyone to read. i will find it for you, if you like.

You did not prove anything other than citing a report for one district which unfortunately generates too many Muslim criminals.

So why does that district generate a high number of Muslim criminals? is it because they are poor and diadvantaged?

I gave this solid report:

http://realitycheck.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/sach2.JPG

3883623b2feac3590e9df448662a3951.jpg

This clearly tells that Muslims are ahead of the general population in several states in education. It is the large % of Muslims in states like UP, Bihar etc. who are laggard and are dragging down the community.

Now come up with some facts and not mere conspiracy theories or report for one district.

This does not show the literacy of Indian Muslims in 1947, as you claim it was lower, and is the reason why Indian Muslims are currently the lowest educated religious group in India.

It does show that currently Indian Muslims are the most uneducated religious group in India, when Hindus are grouped into a single group.

What you have presented is a table of percentages which when presented in this form, conceal the fact that in Muslim dense areas, discrimination occurs strongest in education against Muslims. Overall, this causes the Indian Muslim literacy to be 59%, the lowest in India.

What sort of argument is this? :rofl:

I made the allegation Indian Muslims were discriminated against in the field of education (along with millions of newspaper articles), but you gave the reason for this, that Indian Muslims had a lower "base" in 1947 . Therefore, if you want to solidify your argument with some evidence instead of plucking one out of the archives of bharat rhaksha, you will need to provide evidence that Indian Muslims had a lower base in 1947. Else your argument has no meaning.

And that is precisely my point! I thought it was obvious enough.

What is your allegation based on? It has to be based on data and facts to carry any meaning at all. If Indian Muslims are so obviously and substantially ahead of Muslims in your own country and your own state in education, how can you claim they are being discriminated unless you show that the gap between them and others is increasing (and substantially so) over the period since independence?

Is the allegation based on that single so called report? Or more likely and as I pointed out in an earlier post, just the conditioning and the pheromones that run through the body at the mere mention of the word India and cause some negative emotions! In other words is that what you would like to believe instead of any real facts.

You and many others just seem to believe (or would like to believe) that India treating it's minorities fairly is just impossible. The reason for that is obvious to both of us. So even when Indian Muslims are so obviously doing better than their Pakistani counterparts in education, you refuse to believe it and bring in the unsubstantiated conspiracy theories.

And you did not answer my question. Why are the discriminated Indian Muslims doing so much better in education than Pakistanis even after 60 years? 60 Years is a very long period.

It's not pathetic thinking at all. Pathetic thinking is adequately described in your next statement asking me to disprove something which you fictitiously made up about Indian Muslims having a lower "base" than all the other religious groups in India following Partition.

I will provide the reason for why my thinking is not pathetic though. Pakistan had a specific literacy in 1950, specific number of schools, specific GDP, all of which are proven to have been less than India. India had double the literacy of Pakistan. Given this, then India should have been able to educate more of its population faster.

Example, 2 populations, each with 100 people. In the first population, 7% are teachers and are literate. In the second, 15% are teachers and are literate. So, the 7 people in the first population teach classes of 5 students each, and after a decade, 42 people in the population are literate, or 42%. In the second population, 15 people teach classes of 5, and after a decade, 90 people are literate, or 90% of the population. Therefore, one can conclude that the second population should have double the literacy of the first, if they make the same strides in the field of education.

Answer this in a civilized and logical manner please, instead of throwing a tantrum about something being pathetic.

I was expecting this rationale from you. And frankly it is just too simplistic and immature.

60 years is a long period to set your house in order. It is exactly the sort of closeted mindset which tries to benchmark yourself just against your neighbor that we need to get away from.

Both India and Pakistan have done badly on education and I take no solace from the fact that we are better off than Pakistan. We did not do good enough and that is all that matters. We need to do far better to compete in the 21st century. Same goes for Pakistan.

It is up to Pakistanis to decide if they have done the best they could, given all the constraints.

You being the one that made the initial allegation that Indian Muslims had the lowest literacy base in 1947 in the first place :disagree: You made the allegation. it is there for anyone to read. i will find it for you, if you like.

Refer my previous post. The idea is not only to do some internet search and paste some link, it is the reasoning behind your allegation. I did not make any allegation at all, just brought out some obvious facts to light.

So why does that district generate a high number of Muslim criminals? is it because they are poor and diadvantaged?

This does not show the literacy of Indian Muslims in 1947, as you claim it was lower, and is the reason why Indian Muslims are currently the lowest educated religious group in India.

It does show that currently Indian Muslims are the most uneducated religious group in India, when Hindus are grouped into a single group.

What you have presented is a table of percentages which when presented in this form, conceal the fact that in Muslim dense areas, discrimination occurs strongest in education against Muslims. Overall, this causes the Indian Muslim literacy to be 59%, the lowest in India.

Same as above. You need to prove that this constitutes discrimination and they are falling behind others over a period.

The link proves that Muslims can surpass the other communities in India in education if they really strive to do that. There are many examples in India including Gujarat.

Many UP Muslims are really regressive like your NWFP folks. They won't give their kids polio drops again like your NWFP folks, believing in all sorts of conspiracy theories. They will take some time to progress. And drag down the community for some more time.

The entire premise of this thread is fallacious. The only reason why we are indulging in this is so that Pakistan can justify its position as the savior of muslims and Indians can deprive them of that comfort.

You cannot simply group Hindus and Muslims together and compare. It leads to false conclusions.

A much better and useful way to divide the population is by region and community. The attitudes of Gujarati muslims, Tamil muslims, Mallu muslims and UP muslims differ too vastly.

The entire premise of this thread is fallacious. The only reason why we are indulging in this is so that Pakistan can justify its position as the savior of muslims and Indians can deprive them of that comfort.

You cannot simply group Hindus and Muslims together and compare. It leads to false conclusions.

A much better and useful way to divide the population is by region and community. The attitudes of Gujarati muslims, Tamil muslims, Mallu muslims and UP muslims differ too vastly.

Hit the nail on the head.

Blasts in China Kill at Least 2 Amid Sweep
By JIM YARDLEY

BEIJING — A chain of explosions, apparently caused by bombs, left at least two people dead early Sunday in the latest attack in China’s western Xinjiang region, state media reported.

The violence, coinciding with the first weekend of the Olympic Games in Beijing, comes amid a police crackdown in Xinjiang. The authorities have declared Uighur militants in the region to pose a potential security threat to the Games.

Last week two Uighur militants attacked a police station in the Xinjiang city of Kashgar, killing 16 paramilitary police officers and injuring 16 others.

The blasts happened Sunday in Kuqa County in a succession of explosions between 3:20 a.m. and 4 a.m., according to Xinhua, China’s official news agency.

Two people died, and Xinhua reported that the number of casualties could rise. Police officers killed or injured four or five suspects, according to the news agency, and were continuing to search for others. Kuqa is located in the southern part of Xinjiang.

Chinese officials have been waging a security crackdown in Xinjiang that many human rights advocates consider a thinly-veiled repression of the region’s Uighurs, a Turkic Muslim ethnic group.

China has labeled the East Turkestan Islamic Movement, commonly known as ETIM, as a terrorist organization leading a Uighur separatist movement in Xinjiang. Several specialists on Xinjiang say the true size and threat posed by ETIM is uncertain.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/sports/olympics/10blasts.html?pagewanted=print

Back
Top Bottom