What's new

Chinese Missiles News & Discussions

New Chinese submarine-launched ballistic missile spotted on test in the Bohai Bay

D8COkyAUwAE4ctr-1140x760.jpg

The Chinese People’s Liberation Army-Navy successfully tested its next-generation of a submarine-launched ballistic missile on 2 June.

According to several media reports, the Chinese navy launched a new submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM), allegedly JL-3, in the Bohai Bay near the Shandong Peninsula at 4 hours 28 minutes in the morning on June 2, 2019.

Tests of the new Chinese SLBM were spotted by numerous witnesses and fishermen.

The JL-3 third-generation solid-fuelled missile, which must be used to equip the next-generation Chinese nuclear missile submarines, has an intercontinental range (up to 12-14 thousand km) and is capable of carrying up to ten independent warheads.

Earlier, the Maritime Security Administration of Liaoning Province issued a navigation warning about the closing of the maritime zone for “military exercises” in the Bohai Bay area on June 2, 2019.

According to Jane’s Missiles & Rockets, the JL-3 SLBM is intended to arm the next-generation Type 096 nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine (SSBN) class, the first of which is expected to enter service in the late 2020s.

The JL or Julang series – meaning “big wave” in Chinese – are intercontinental ballistic missiles designed for China’s nuclear-powered submarines, as part of the People’s Liberation Army strategy to extend the country’s nuclear deterrent capabilities from land to sea.

https://defence-blog.com/news/new-c...VfauFngZaG0mYS0J_L9y3gThbT9VMWGfVNcr8i9-SyWf0

New Chinese submarine-launched ballistic missile spotted on test in the Bohai Bay

D8COkyAUwAE4ctr-1140x760.jpg

The Chinese People’s Liberation Army-Navy successfully tested its next-generation of a submarine-launched ballistic missile on 2 June.

According to several media reports, the Chinese navy launched a new submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM), allegedly JL-3, in the Bohai Bay near the Shandong Peninsula at 4 hours 28 minutes in the morning on June 2, 2019.

Tests of the new Chinese SLBM were spotted by numerous witnesses and fishermen.

The JL-3 third-generation solid-fuelled missile, which must be used to equip the next-generation Chinese nuclear missile submarines, has an intercontinental range (up to 12-14 thousand km) and is capable of carrying up to ten independent warheads.

Earlier, the Maritime Security Administration of Liaoning Province issued a navigation warning about the closing of the maritime zone for “military exercises” in the Bohai Bay area on June 2, 2019.

According to Jane’s Missiles & Rockets, the JL-3 SLBM is intended to arm the next-generation Type 096 nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine (SSBN) class, the first of which is expected to enter service in the late 2020s.

The JL or Julang series – meaning “big wave” in Chinese – are intercontinental ballistic missiles designed for China’s nuclear-powered submarines, as part of the People’s Liberation Army strategy to extend the country’s nuclear deterrent capabilities from land to sea.

https://defence-blog.com/news/new-c...VfauFngZaG0mYS0J_L9y3gThbT9VMWGfVNcr8i9-SyWf0

Just watched the video, it's not matching the ballistic missile clips, including those lauched from submarines, which I watched before, that normally the missile disappeared in sight very quickly after launch.

Seems to me, this one flew at near space at least for quite a while, otherwise the smoke trail wouldn't have been seen like that. I understand the actual smoke should be much smaller and those visuals were actually generated by the refracted sunlight on the smoke, which means the missile still flew within the atmosphere but the altitude was already very high. Of course I noticed the missile disappeared shortly and think it had already gone out of the atmosphere then.

Could that be a glider, any one?

Second(JL-3?) launch in as many days?:-)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom