What's new

Chinese jet fighters, an option to re-equip the Argentine Air Force

Back to the topic, selling JF-17 to Argentina will result in objection from UK&Brazil. Since that Pakistan is a member of the Commonwealth and that China-UK currency-swap is going on, the expense may be high, let alone plus the objection from Brazil.
What can PK&CN benefit from the deal may be only about 1-2 billion $ and political/economic/millitary tie with Argentina.
But if we sell the aircrafts, UK may make some noise on HK&TW&Tibet issues, and support India in some aspects against PK, all these above are bothersome BS. Also Brazil won't stay silent.
UK and Brazil are powers, we must take them into consideration.
If China is so concern about UK. It would have long stop supporting Argentina claim of falkland.
What's more China has already cooperate with Argentina AF on helo Z-11.

Back to the topic, selling JF-17 to Argentina will result in objection from UK&Brazil. Since that Pakistan is a member of the Commonwealth and that China-UK currency-swap is going on, the expense may be high, let alone plus the objection from Brazil.
What can PK&CN benefit from the deal may be only about 1-2 billion $ and political/economic/millitary tie with Argentina.
But if we sell the aircrafts, UK may make some noise on HK&TW&Tibet issues, and support India in some aspects against PK, all these above are bothersome BS. Also Brazil won't stay silent.
UK and Brazil are powers, we must take them into consideration.

Understand your concern about possible jeopardy brought on CN-UK relationship, however I suppose the potential sale is very likely a PK-AR deal in which case PK has to do quite signficant customization work, CN doesn't have much role to play. Moreover, the CN color in PF17 Bk2 and onwards will be even more diluted as more indigenous PK techs and components were used.

merged as a possible supplier of jet fighters to help modernize the Argentine Air Force,

If China is so concern about UK. It would have long stop supporting Argentina claim of falkland.
Selling JF-17 is really an issue for UK than helicopter...The royal navy is not as strong as 1980s and Cameron is not Thutcher, if we really sell Argentina 100-200 JF-17s, UK will consequently lose Falkland, so UK will be bound to interrupt the deal as possible. If UK were to sell 50 typhoons to TW, what would we feel? And that's what UK would feel if we sell them.

Understand your concern about possible jeopardy brought on CN-UK relationship, however I suppose the potential sale is very likely a PK-AR deal in which case PK has to do quite signficant customization work, CN doesn't have much role to play. Moreover, the CN color in PF17 Bk2 and onwards will be even more diluted as more indigenous PK techs and components were used.
I'm afraid that UK will press China to pursuade PK not to make the deal. If they reach the deal, with so many aircraft, UK will really lose Falkland, they won't stand aside.

Yes China supports Argentina's standpoint (note, not claim) on the disputed islands, I guess that's part of an overall geopolitical game plan, while practicing pragmatism in dealing with UK. Comparatively speaking transport helo like Z-11 is a less offensive weaponry, and I guess that's rationale behind as China is taking a careful, pragmatic and balanced approach in managing these two bilateral relationships.

Selling JF-17 is really an issue for UK than helicopter...The royal navy is not as strong as 1980s and Cameron is not Thutcher, if we really sell Argentina 100-200 JF-17s, UK will consequently lose Falkland, so UK will be bound to interrupt the deal as possible. If UK were to sell 50 typhoons to TW, what would we feel? And that's what UK would feel if we sell them.

Lol. I dare UK to sell arms to ROC. You are thinking too much and still think UK is some strong power than China? The British are so desperate for China investment and trade that Cameron shut his mouth and never even utter a single word about human right to China during his China tour.

Argentina is a sovereign nation and follow UN law. They have every rights to acquire arms to defend their interest.

I'm afraid that UK will press China to pursuade PK not to make the deal. If they reach the deal, with so many aircraft, UK will really lose Falkland, they won't stand aside.

UK will naturally try every possible means to torpedo the deal, and that very likely include asking China to pull some strings.
Yeah, not easy dude, hopefully UK understands China is hands tied on this agenda and look away ... :-)

Lol. I dare UK to sell arms to ROC. You are thinking too much and still think UK is some strong power than China? The British are so desperate for China investment and trade that Cameron shut his mouth and never even utter a single word about human right to China during his China tour.

Argentina is a sovereign nation and follow UN law. They have every rights to acquire arms to defend their interest.

Relax bro. Yes UK is least likely to sell arms to ROC, never worry about that.... :-)

UK is also a very important working partner of China, so while supporting Argentina's moral standpoint, it's in China's best interests to stay out of the dispute. And about the PF17 sale, China shouldn't, and can't, discourage our ally Pakistan in pursuing their best interests either.

Last edited:

I don't mean that UK dare to sell TW weapons if we provide argentina with JF-17, I just want to describe UK's mood if we did.
Though UK cannot make real impact on us, we must consider what expense will be paid, I just want to stand in light of our national interest and think whether it is worthwhile to make the deal. If Argentina feel it's capable to take Falkland back and make it real, our investment in Argentina may suffer a lot if war starts.

We won't selling any arms to Argentina. China's intervention can certainly change the balance of power between Argentina and UK, that's why the brits have literally took of their underwear in front of China, they want to become the RMB centre of EU, R&R has transferred a lot of tech to china under the table, win win for both, of course they will still shouting about human right, HK bullshit, but who cares?. What can Argentina offer us? nothing.

In the absence of performance in actual combat, only other criterion of a fighter design is its success in the international market. We can debate whether Thunders is as good or better than F-16 among ourselves till kingdom come; ground reality remains that except for PAF, no any other major Air Force has Thunders in their inventory.

Egypt has been discussing co –production but to the best of my info negotiations are in limbo. Even PLAAF has no operation squadron of JF-17. Therefore Argentinian Air Force induction of JF-17 would be a boon and validation of its capabilities. Who gets to export JF-17 and/ or who gets what percentage of the profits is immaterial, let us not count the chickens before they are hatched. Just pray that the deal finally happens.

Latest news is that Argentina is leaning towards the SU24 from Russia

Chinease really struggling to export their fighters both the j10.and smaller cheaper fc1.

To be fair they are real bang for buck and better options than some if the Russian American and euro Stuff.

Either China cannot market properly or the fighters are genuinely inferior to their competitors.

On paper. They look great but nobody us biting

At least with rafale we know it's the cost for China this is no issue re their fc1, or j10 very low cost options

Latest news is that Argentina is leaning towards the SU24 from Russia

They are leaning towards a variable geometry sweep wing platform in this day and age !!??

this is very strange; since the countries whom championed this technology have moved away due to complexity Vs benefit issue.

SU-24 is a dedicated attack aircraft with way greater load than both J-10 and JF-17, the Su-24 can load more than su-30, that must be what Argentina is looking for.

I think JF-17 is a good option. Technologically it is better than Gripen having DSI.

Most here fail to see the actual situation.

Why would Argentina need JF-17 in the first place?

bear in mind, Argie government is not the.same junta government in 82, they are not stupid...and they know whatever they do, the Brits can match it move by move , and then some.

I.would say yeah, they would need low end fighter if they are up against Fellow.SA Airforces but you are talking about The RAF...Which field Typhoon and F35 in the future. I would not want to go near a typhoon with an F16 block 52, let alone JF17...And whatever argie is fielding, The UK have more money to counter it.

The only way Argentine can hold out an opponent like the RAF is by acquiring 5th gen fighter, which is more or less impossible for now.

Back
Top Bottom