TaiShang

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Chinese inventor creates “invisible” umbrella

127106561_14134411601291n-600x325.jpg

c7da2857ae8bf3d5c5bc13786ad9c498

A Chinese inventor has come up with a rather intriguing device that could end up replacing the traditional umbrella.

Chuan Wang’s Air Umbrella has been a raging success ever since it was placed on Kickstarter, the world’s largest crowdfunding platform.

The inventor from Nanjing had sought to raise $10,000; however, with six days still remaining to the Kickstarter campaign, he has already garnered pledges upwards of $70,000.

So what is it that the Air Umbrella does? Well, it’s a simple device that is shaped like a scepter, or perhaps you could look at it as a light-saber, if you are a sci-fi fan.

Once you click the button on the scepter, the battery within powers a set of fans at the head, creating a force field of air, which shields against the rain.

According to the product’s Kickstarter profile, Chuan, along with a few colleagues, worked on the idea with postgraduates from Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics from July in 2012 to August in 2013.

After identifying the potential of the product, they then worked with PhD students from Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics to improve the design.

The final sample, which is currently being used for demonstrations, was completed in July 2014.

The makers say that the Air Umbrella will be available in three versions, and will hit the markets by December 2015.

Version A measures 30 cm. It is priced at $88 and has a battery life of 15 minutes.

Version B is 50-cm-long. It is priced at $98 and has a battery life of 30 minutes.

Version C is scalable, from 50 cm to 80 cm. It is priced at $108 and has a battery life of 30 minutes.

Nice innovation............but I think, its not going to give the same protection throughout the 15/30 mins of the battery life....as the battery power will begin to come towards the end the radius of the umbrella will begin to reduce due to slowing down of the motor........more powerful and long lasting battery is needed.....which will eventually come I guess.....:tup:

Last edited:
Can it also deflect hail storm? Conventional Umbrella is also used as shade against sun. This would not be possible with this. Another challenge is the battery life. Sometime, you need to carry umbrella for a longer duration when there is drizzling and you are outside. 30 minutes with $108 is less.

It is nice innovation but with the price tag and limited functionality its market feasibility would be interesting.

so china will use this technology to make the shield against nuke missiles. If this shield can be reality any missile cannot touch china soil. this will be a breaking technology. I hope china is making this shield, martians cannot touch china.

Good idea but at $108 and a battery life of 30 minutes it ain't practical.
When the battery runs out after 30 minutes, I get soaking wet...for $108?
depressed.gif
:blink:

No way I'm gonna buy this gizmo! :no:

Good idea but at $108 and a battery life of 30 minutes it ain't practical.
When the battery runs out after 30 minutes, I get soaking wet...for $108?
depressed.gif
:blink:

No way I'm gonna buy this gizmo! :no:

Well, you say you don't like cheap products. Well, this is an extremely expensive and flashy product to show off your status with. It is exactly what you want.

Innovative, but I think it will spray the people around you? They are not gonna be happy :lol:
......towards the edge, where air force would be low, water will fall down vertically, but you're right, water falling on the area where the air speed is maximum will get scattered far.......let's see how practical it is........moreover, no protection from the sun, one can use it as a fan though...:D

Last edited:
I'm a bit dissapointed. I thought this would be something I could use to walk inside a ladies changing room without being detected.

It is quite an innovation. While it may not be successful as an umbrella, it will surely find use in other appliances.
I'm a bit dissapointed. I thought this would be something I could use to walk inside a ladies changing room without being detected.

Then the ladies too would be using the same umbrella to hide themselves from you.

Back
Top Bottom