What's new

Chinese "Hummer Predator"

Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition to indigenous research and development of China's anti-satellite test (i.e. ASAT), mid-course ground-based interceptor (i.e. GBI), and anti-ship ballistic missile (i.e. ASBM), reverse engineering is a legitimate method and has been occurring for as long as human history.

Let's start with Rome.

Wapedia - Wiki: Carthage

"Roman trireme mosaic from Carthage, Bardo Museum, Tunis ... to finally defeat Carthage with a combination of reverse engineering captured Carthaginian ships, ... After the fall of Carthage, Rome annexed the majority of the Carthaginian ..."

Reverse engineering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Reverse engineering (RE) is the process of discovering the technological principles of a device, object or system through analysis of its structure, function and operation. It often involves taking something (e.g., a mechanical device, electronic component, or software program) apart and analyzing its workings in detail to be used in maintenance, or to try to make a new device or program that does the same thing without utilizing any physical part of the original.

Reverse engineering has its origins in the analysis of hardware for commercial or military advantage [1]. The purpose is to deduce design decisions from end products with little or no additional knowledge about the procedures involved in the original production. The same techniques are currently being researched for application to legacy software systems, not for industrial or defence ends, but rather to replace incorrect, incomplete, or otherwise unavailable documentation[2].
Reverse engineering for military applications

Reverse engineering is often used by militaries in order to copy other nations' technologies, devices or information that have been obtained by regular troops in the fields or by intelligence operations. It was often used during the Second World War and the Cold War. Well-known examples from WWII and later include

* Jerry can: British and American forces noticed that the Germans had gasoline cans with an excellent design. They reverse-engineered copies of those cans. The cans were popularly known as "Jerry cans".
* Tupolev Tu-4: Three American B-29 bombers on missions over Japan were forced to land in the USSR. The Soviets, who did not have a similar strategic bomber, decided to copy the B-29. Within a few years, they had developed the Tu-4, a near-perfect copy.
* V2 Rocket: Technical documents for the V2 and related technologies were captured by the Western Allies at the end of the war. Soviet and captured German engineers had to reproduce technical documents and plans, working from captured hardware, in order to make their clone of the rocket, the R-1, which began the postwar Soviet rocket program that led to the R-7 and the beginning of the space race.
* K-13/R-3S missile (NATO reporting name AA-2 'Atoll), a Soviet reverse-engineered copy of the AIM-9 Sidewinder, made possible after a Taiwanese AIM-9B hit a Chinese MiG-17 without exploding; amazingly, the missile became lodged within the airframe, the pilot returning to base with what Russian scientists would describe as a university course in missile development.
* BGM-71 TOW Missile: In May 1975, negotiations between Iran and Hughes Missile Systems on co-production of the TOW and Maverick missiles stalled over disagreements in the pricing structure, the subsequent 1979 revolution ending all plans for such co-production. Iran was later successful in reverse-engineering the missile and are currently producing their own copy: the Toophan.
* China has reversed many examples of Western and Russian hardware, from fighter aircraft to missiles and HMMWV cars.
Legality

In the United States and many other countries, even if an artifact or process is protected by trade secrets, reverse-engineering the artifact or process is often lawful as long as it is obtained legitimately. Patents, on the other hand, need a public disclosure of an invention, and therefore, patented items do not necessarily have to be reverse-engineered to be studied. One common motivation of reverse engineers is to determine whether a competitor's product contains patent infringements or copyright infringements.

Reverse engineering software or hardware systems which is done for the purposes of interoperability (for example, to support undocumented file formats or undocumented hardware peripherals) is mostly believed to be legal, though patent owners often contest this and attempt to stifle any reverse engineering of their products for any reason."

Last edited:

Copy or original, this is amazing. Congratulations china for producing it and importantly congratulations to chinese army for supporting and inducting it.

In India, private companies can come up with all sorts of fantastic designs and configurations, but in the end corruption will be at play and Indian army will induct some underpowered, ugly-looking tin cans.

I think the constant gripes about China "stealing" technology are just annoying. We all know that countries engage in industrial espionage and try to steal military technology from each other. I don't want to derail this thread, but I could put up plenty of posts about French or Israeli spying on the U.S.

Countries can take care of themselves. If Israel believes that it has a strong case that Lavi technology was stolen and not licensed then the Israelis can sue China or press their case in international court. I don't think it's fair for "military professionals" to play politics and push their anti-China agenda.

I asked Thomas for his posts regarding his complaints against Roman and Russian reverse-engineering because I believe that it is reasonable to ask him to show his bona fides. If Thomas is truly sincere about his hatred for reverse-engineering then there should be many posts and complaints from him over the years about Roman and Russian reverse-engineering. I'm pretty sure that Thomas' anti-Roman and anti-Russian posts don't exist. Therefore, Thomas does not have a hatred of reverse-engineering, but a hatred for China.

If Thomas was willing to relinquish his "military professional" status to engage in petty politics then I would not make an issue of this matter. There are plenty of Indians, Russians, and some Americans, who are die-hard China-haters. However, their opinions are not being presented as expert "military professional" opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom