What's new

Chinese HQ-9 SAM System

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Chinese HQ-9 SAM System

HQ-9 is a modern mobile strategic SAM system roughly analogous to the Russian-made S-300PMU (SA-10B GRUMBLE). The HQ-9 has a range of 100 kilometers, an increase over the S-300PMU's 90 kilometer maximum range but less than that of the S-300PMU-1's 150 kilometers.

The containerized missiles are carried in groups of four on the back of wheeled TELs very similar in design to that of the S-300P's 5P85. Target prosecution is handled by the HT-233 phased-array radar system, mounted on a wheeled chassis in a configuration very similar to that employed by the S-300PMU, which mounts the 30N6 (FLAP LID) engagement radar on a MAZ-7910 chassis. The HT-233 radar is likely capable of engaging multiple targets thanks to its phased-array construction.

The similarities between the S-300PMU components and the HQ-9 components may be the result of a limited reverse-engineering effort. China had no prior experience in developing a modern, high-performance strategic SAM system, and it is likely that the S-300P was examined as either a possible starting point or at the very least a general roadmap for component design.

Espionage efforts may have aided the development effort as well, as the HT-233's radar array bears some similarities to the MIM-104 PATRIOT's AN/MPQ-53 phased-array radar. Were the HQ-9 to be an amalgamation of S-300PMU and PATRIOT technology, it would have to be regarded as a very formidable weapon system, although there is no reason to doubt the system's effectiveness were this not to be the case.

SYSTEM COVERAGE

The HQ-9's 100 kilometer range and multiple target engagement capability means that fewer SAM sites are now required to defend a given portion of airspace.

IMINT & Analysis: The HQ-9 SAM System: A Site Analysis

hq9oct3.jpg

Chinese HQ-9 SAM System

HQ-9 is a modern mobile strategic SAM system roughly analogous to the Russian-made S-300PMU (SA-10B GRUMBLE). The HQ-9 has a range of 100 kilometers, an increase over the S-300PMU's 90 kilometer maximum range but less than that of the S-300PMU-1's 150 kilometers.

The containerized missiles are carried in groups of four on the back of wheeled TELs very similar in design to that of the S-300P's 5P85. Target prosecution is handled by the HT-233 phased-array radar system, mounted on a wheeled chassis in a configuration very similar to that employed by the S-300PMU, which mounts the 30N6 (FLAP LID) engagement radar on a MAZ-7910 chassis. The HT-233 radar is likely capable of engaging multiple targets thanks to its phased-array construction.

The similarities between the S-300PMU components and the HQ-9 components may be the result of a limited reverse-engineering effort. China had no prior experience in developing a modern, high-performance strategic SAM system, and it is likely that the S-300P was examined as either a possible starting point or at the very least a general roadmap for component design.

Espionage efforts may have aided the development effort as well, as the HT-233's radar array bears some similarities to the MIM-104 PATRIOT's AN/MPQ-53 phased-array radar. Were the HQ-9 to be an amalgamation of S-300PMU and PATRIOT technology, it would have to be regarded as a very formidable weapon system, although there is no reason to doubt the system's effectiveness were this not to be the case.

SYSTEM COVERAGE

The HQ-9's 100 kilometer range and multiple target engagement capability means that fewer SAM sites are now required to defend a given portion of airspace.

IMINT & Analysis: The HQ-9 SAM System: A Site Analysis

Sorry to correct you here but ALL HQ-9 are not converted to HQ-9A with an upgrade range of 200 KM and much more advanced radar and censors.

HQ-9 isn't the only long-range SAM system in China:

There are different versions:
- HQ-9A/B
- HQ-15
- HQ-18

And there's the longest-range version:
- HQ-19 (which is the Sino-Russian-developed S-400)

Can someone tell me what manufacturer exactly makes the HT-233? Every reference I find attributes to CPMIEC, but it is an import-export company and mostly markets the product. I believe the true manufacturer is a research institute of CETC, but I can't narrow it down. Also, I've seen a comment that suggests the HQ-9 and the HT-233 might be manufactured at the same facility. Does this really make sense? Wouldn't RDT&E and production facilities be highly specialized, and not only that, wouldn't the radar manufacturer have other products in its line, therefore need exclusive facilities. Any help would be appreciated. I'd also like to express my thanks to all of you who make this website what it is. I think the greater the transparency in world defense issues the better for us all.

Back
Top Bottom