What's new

Chinese Flanker Family: J-11, J-16 ... Su-27SK/UBK, Su-30MKK

Any news on the J-16D? It seems like ages since we've gotten an update (apart from a couple photos by oedosoldier). The importance of the EW flanker cannot be understated. It seems apart from the J-16, it's been very quiet at SAC. The J-16D and J-11D seem to have gone underground

Any news on the J-16D? It seems like ages since we've gotten an update (apart from a couple photos by oedosoldier). The importance of the EW flanker cannot be understated. It seems apart from the J-16, it's been very quiet at SAC. The J-16D and J-11D seem to have gone underground
J11b is still under construction.

What's wrong with the article?

Just as Figaro noted... and look at the last paragraph

...followingChina’s failure to get a license to produce that specific part and its own difficulties in producing clones of the original Su-27SK engines for the J-11.

China was never trying to copy the AL-31F. They had their issues with the WS-10, but that's long over.

I think the Chinese flanker family (J-11, J-15, J-16) is in the last leg of further development. The results of J-20 vs J-11 & J-10 in aerial engagements will dawn upon the military central committee members like that of the Gulf wars did in 1980s.

And stealth UACV will gradually take over the strikers (J-16, JH-7A) roles as load carrying capacity advances.

Last edited:
What are the main differences in the air frames of the J-11, J-15 and J-16. And what is the commonality of parts between them.

I think the J-16 is superior to the MK2. Has a better airframe, considerably better avionics, etc. Thus the MKI ;)

But that comparison is off since the J-16 uses a modified Su-30MKK's or MK2's airframe featuring NO canards and TVC-engines ... therefore this comparison.

But that comparison is off since the J-16 uses a modified Su-30MKK's or MK2's airframe featuring NO canards and TVC-engines ... therefore this comparison.

True. But I was talking more in terms of capability. Or presumed capability.

True. But I was talking more in terms of capability. Or presumed capability.
No in the term of Capabilites and mission profile its more closer to F-15E/ F-18/EA-18G

J-11 >> Chinese Su-27
J-15 >> Naval
J-16>> Chinese Su-30 MKI type
J-11B >> Su-30
J-16 >> F-15E strike Eagle/EA-18G
J15 >> Su-33/F/A-18/ F/A-18E,F

Back
Top Bottom